Metal Storm logo
Suffocation

Original post

Posted by Detric, 16.06.2006 - 20:24
Amazing band, US death metal heroes. People always talk about how good Effigy Of The Forgttoen is, and it really is a fantastic album, but I think rest of their albums are as good as Effigy, if not better! I never really liked Breeding The Spawn mostly because of the production, but its still a good album. My favourite is difinitely Pierced From Within, I just cant stop listening to that album, a fucking masterpiece. I havent heard Souls To Deny, so I cant really give my opinion on that but the fact is, that they only released four albums, but they are one of the best death metal bands around.
20.11.2006 - 01:08
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 17.11.2006 at 16:31

Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 00:27

Yeah, Most people say Suffocation sucks live, I dissagree. I only own (for now) Human Waste, but for a shit-qualitied EP, its pretty damn good.
My favorite songs on it are Infecting the Crypts, Catatonia, and Human Waste.

I know everyone keeps talking about Pierced From Within and Effigy as their two classics, but you should definitely check those out too. Five of the Human Waste songs are on Effigy and one of them is on Pierced, but they are somewhat cleaned up. But, if you've only heard Human Waste, then you may be somewhat disappointed by the vocals on those two albums. I think Frank Mullen does a great job on Effigy and Pierced, but his performance on Human Waste alone is worth the purchase of the album.

Oh no, I've heard several songs off of other CD's and I still like it alot. I plan on getting Effigy soon, but I have to say the 2004 album Souls to deny is pretty damn good too.
20.11.2006 - 02:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
^^ I didn't really think much about Souls to Deny. It just seemed to lack aggression or something. I've actually only listened to it like 2 or 3 times and don't really feel the need to check it out anytime soon. They're other stuff kicks ass though.
20.11.2006 - 03:29
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Yeah I cant say Breeding the spawn was one of my favorites.
20.11.2006 - 03:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The answering machine production kills that album
20.11.2006 - 04:20
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Yeah, I'm glad they evolved
21.11.2006 - 09:23
Winter Death
Account deleted
I didn;t mind Souls to Deny. THe title track is killer.
21.11.2006 - 11:18
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
It just doesn't rip off your face to the extent the new one does; which btw imo equals Pierced.
21.11.2006 - 23:44
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
The New one is Hellaciouse
01.12.2006 - 03:05
For those of you who've heard Breeding the Spawn, what do you think? If the production wasn't an issue, how would the album stack up to Effigy or Pierced from Within...and how unlistenable does the bad production make the album?
01.12.2006 - 03:38
Mega-Slayer
Written by theflyingmachine on 01.12.2006 at 03:05

For those of you who've heard Breeding the Spawn, what do you think? If the production wasn't an issue, how would the album stack up to Effigy or Pierced from Within...and how unlistenable does the bad production make the album?

Good question,I really enjoy "Breeding The Spawn" actually,probably feautures the best bass work on any Suffocation release,the production does piss me off,but I realize the musicianship is excellent.So its hard even if it was remastered,it wouldn't do much,they would have to re-record the whole thing,to get a clean sound.The best tracks like "Epitaph Of The Credulous","Anomalistic Offerings" and "Breeding The Spawn",might be a 100% better if the drums where captured better,that is my main complaint,that Mike's blasting wasn't produced to the fullest.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
02.12.2006 - 00:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Hell yeah Breeding the Spawn would be right up there with their best works if it was recorded better. I fucking love that album and the more I listen to it, the more I get used to the production. Chris Richards especially shines on that cd. The new album actually sounds a lot like Breeding the Spawn.
04.12.2006 - 14:55
Eternal Flames
Recently heard the new self-titled album and I must say it's sounding great. A huge improvement from Souls To Deny which I found to be quite a disappointment. New album is quite brutal yet very technical too. The vocals on the new album are very well mixed, but the whole album in general has great production. It's definitely one of my favourite releases for the year.
04.12.2006 - 15:27
LordWorm
Account deleted
Every album kicked ass (and will kick ever) but my favourite is "Despise The Sun"...Suffocation Rulezzz
06.12.2006 - 23:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Even though I posted this already in the "last concert you attended" thread, I want to brag again lol. After the show, some friends and I hung out with Derek Boyer and Terrance. My friends smoked with Derek (and I think Terrance also) and I got Derek's autograph. I didn't have anything cool for him to sign, so I had him sign my ticket. I really wanted to meet Frank Mullen and Mike Smith, but I missed out.
07.12.2006 - 01:34
Mega-Slayer
Written by Dangerboner on 06.12.2006 at 23:22

Even though I posted this already in the "last concert you attended" thread, I want to brag again lol. After the show, some friends and I hung out with Derek Boyer and Terrance. My friends smoked with Derek (and I think Terrance also) and I got Derek's autograph. I didn't have anything cool for him to sign, so I had him sign my ticket. I really wanted to meet Frank Mullen and Mike Smith, but I missed out.

Your a lucky motherfucker,sounds cool.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
08.12.2006 - 09:51
Winter Death
Account deleted
That shit is cool.
08.12.2006 - 13:04
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Yesturday, finally got the new self title... definalty one of my top releases for the year. Great all round production, and Mike Smith still a machine on drums as always he impresses me. Frank Mullan's vocals are still at top form, still excellent. For me Suffocation havent put a foot wrong with any of their releases, and with this one it proves that they are still on top as one of death metals finest bands.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.12.2006 - 18:19
Conservationist
"Pierced from Within" is a monster.
08.12.2006 - 18:48
Mount Doom
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.11.2006 at 01:08

Written by theflyingmachine on 17.11.2006 at 16:31

Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 00:27

Yeah, Most people say Suffocation sucks live, I dissagree. I only own (for now) Human Waste, but for a shit-qualitied EP, its pretty damn good.
My favorite songs on it are Infecting the Crypts, Catatonia, and Human Waste.

I know everyone keeps talking about Pierced From Within and Effigy as their two classics, but you should definitely check those out too. Five of the Human Waste songs are on Effigy and one of them is on Pierced, but they are somewhat cleaned up. But, if you've only heard Human Waste, then you may be somewhat disappointed by the vocals on those two albums. I think Frank Mullen does a great job on Effigy and Pierced, but his performance on Human Waste alone is worth the purchase of the album.

Oh no, I've heard several songs off of other CD's and I still like it alot. I plan on getting Effigy soon, but I have to say the 2004 album Souls to deny is pretty damn good too.

Agree!.."Souls To Deny" kick ass!...
09.12.2006 - 00:00
Duality
I personally think that Suffocation is by far the most interesting band from any type of death metal genre. They have put out incredible albums each time they have released something. My vote about their best album probably goes to the recently released live CD (which is only available on their website). Each album is excellent, but "The Close of a Chapter" sums up the best what Suffocation is all about. After hearing that CD you absolutely HAVE TO see the band on a live performance. Off from their studio albums I'd say either "Pierced from Within" or "Despise the Sun" draws the longer straw.
----
"He who controls the past controls the future.
He who controls the present controls the past"
- George Orwell
09.12.2006 - 00:24
Do you think that if the earlier material were as cleaned up as songs on Pierced, it would be as popular as the later albums? I loved Pierced from Within, but I thought that Synthetically Revived and Breeding the Spawn were my favorite songs without knowing that they were remakes. And on Despise the Sun, the remake of Catatonia is in some ways worth the entire purchase of the album.
25.01.2007 - 15:28
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Found this link while just cruising around, I found it funny

http://www.heavilycaffeinated.com/recent1.html
----

Hellcunt Smurf
27.01.2007 - 05:56
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Hell yeah!!! I saw that shit and my jaw dropped
28.01.2007 - 07:53
Winter Death
Account deleted
That video is fucking awesome. Looks like we found an unlikely death metal ally in the history channel.
28.01.2007 - 10:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Xtreme Jax on 25.01.2007 at 15:28

Found this link while just cruising around, I found it funny

http://www.heavilycaffeinated.com/recent1.html

Holy shit! I know what I'm going to be watching come March 4th. That one commercial has just told my brain to watch a historical program when it airs on TV. I believe that the history channel is making a wise decision by using Suffocation in order to get this generation to learn about history.
31.01.2007 - 04:55
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
The funny thing is most of suffocations stuff has nothing to do with the Dark ages
31.01.2007 - 07:40
Winter Death
Account deleted
I don't think the History Channel was going for the direct connection between the Dark Ages and the band. It was just a joke. A well done joke at that.
31.01.2007 - 09:15
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Still, its made me want to watch the Dark Ages program
----

Hellcunt Smurf
31.01.2007 - 11:33
Winter Death
Account deleted
I guess their marketing department paid off then.
25.07.2007 - 14:47
Sunioj
I agree with the first post, the other albums are as good as Effigy of the forgetten and Pierced from within is definetly better IMO. Great band, great atmosphere as well..