270 users:
Band: Bloodbath
Album: Unblessing The Purity
Release date: March 2008

01. Blasting The Virginborn
02. Weak Aside
03. Sick Salvation
04. Mouth Of Empty Praise

Even if we will ever have an eternal debate between the fans of Åkerfeldt and Tägtgren concerning the "good vocalist" of Bloodbath I'm really happy to see the return of Opeth leader. Not that I dislike Peter Tägtgren but it's good to have this little alternation between these two monsters of Death Metal. Four years after the excellent "Nightmares Made Flesh", the Swedish combo is back with a new EP "Unblessing The Purity", one more time the fans of Death Metal will be satisfied!

Bloodbath is a real dream team; the line-up features five of the most convincing musicians from Sweden but of course this is their music which is more than convincing too. One more time the band proposes four excellent classic Death Metal songs. This is violent with extreme riffs and fast tempos but as always with Bloodbath (this is the Katatonia's influence?) we have great dark melodies and amazing guitars soli. "Unblessing The Purity" is a pure album of old school Death Metal but with great melodies and naughty and disturbing ambiances. I like that fact, Bloodbath is maybe violent but the music of the combo is always melodic without being commercial (or not a lot at least).

This EP is perfectly produced, the performance of the guys is simply amazing and the artwork in the pure vein of the old school Death Metal releases fits perfectly to the general ambiance of the release. There is nothing wrong to say about this EP actually, if you're into Death Metal, you just cannot miss this release. The songs are four Death Metal anthems and we don't have any kind of mistake in the album, this is just classy Death and nothing else.

The only thing that I will add to this review is that I'm waiting for the upcoming full length album of the combo. Apparently it should be released later this year (after the live recording which will be out at the end of April) and Mikael Åkerfeldt should be the lead singer one more time. Let's hope that the band will follow this way, because "Unblessing The Purity" is a orgasmic release and definitely we want and need more releases like this one. Don't wait anymore if you want to listen to top-notch Death, "Unblessing The Purity" was made for you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 09.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 279 users
09.04.2008 - 19:15
Damnated
Churchburner
didn't sounded old-school to me at all, and it was a bit uninspired. good, non endless.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.04.2008 - 19:24
Ereinion
Account deleted
Unblessing The Purity is a really good ep every death metal fan should listen it!
09.04.2008 - 19:43
Sunioj

Written by Damnated on 09.04.2008 at 19:15

didn't sounded old-school to me at all, and it was a bit uninspired. good, non endless.

I agree though, the songs sounded a lot more modern DM to me. But fair score.
09.04.2008 - 21:09
SteTech

This EP is brill, to think the band features members of Opeth and Katatonia!
09.04.2008 - 23:15
Rating: 9
Infurnace

Hmm.. yeah, it's not really old-school, but the songs are brilliant. I love this EP.
09.04.2008 - 23:19
Rating: 9
Metal Maiden
Megadead
This sure is one mean EP, exactly what I expected from these guys - nothing more, nothing less...And that's a good thing... I was a bit afraid they would change their sound after all this time, but obviously in vain - they still breed pure death...so to say...
And I love the way they're doing it...
09.04.2008 - 23:47
Rating: 6
Lone Reaper

Akerfeld's vocal is too opetish... It makes some troubles to apprehend this album as Bloodbath album %)

But this minion is still good one...
09.04.2008 - 23:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Its good, but out of the Akerfeldt BloodBath recordings its probably my least favorite....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.04.2008 - 01:29
João Pirucas
Mr. Piruson
I'm not a big fan of Death Metal, but I love this EP!
10.04.2008 - 18:49
parallax

Just listened to the tracks on their myspace.

I really wish Tagtgren was singing on these songs. Akerfeldt is great, but he belongs in Opeth and only Opeth in my eyes.

And yeah, don't really get an old-school feel from these songs, but they're awesome anyways. "Weak Aside" sounds incredible.
11.04.2008 - 00:14
ß
Problem?
I enjoyed their EP quite a bit. It didn't sound very old school it sounded damn pretty good.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
14.10.2008 - 23:48
Rating: 10
XAV_METALOGIST

We Dont Care If It Sounds Old School Or Not I Prefer Some Songs Of Ressurection For Sure ... But These Guys Have The Best Originality I Never Seen ... Blasting The Virginborn Is One Of The Greatest Death Metal Song .... This EP Is Fucking Insane
12.11.2009 - 15:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah, perfect production, nice riffs, solos, vocals. Pretty good.. but then why I still miss ''Resurrection Through Carnage'' so much?? -_-'

Dont see much to praise about this EP... its good... just that.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 8622 | This month: 8