04. Dirty Window
05. Invisible Kid
06. My World
07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

They got the MTV Icon 2003 nomination [did we all see Avril Lavigne?]. They released several commercial operations such as 'I Disappear'; they have a new bass player with a terrible funky look; they have an awful new logo; better leave out this ugly cover artwork by Pushead. The Four Horsemen seem now so far from what they were the 80's...

Are we angry enough? Well, Metallica seem to be angry too! Probably, they've never been so angry before. All the patience they had, all the critics they beared, all the rage they had inside and all the anger have now exploded.

They thought: "Metallica cannot end this way, so we've got to return to our early feelings". This is right: they made a new album, returning to heavy sounds but producing it with all the experience they acquired in these last 20 years. Now it's easy to understand the album's title and the scream in the title track: "I need to set my anger free"!

The Four Horsemen want to regain the fans' trust and to reassure them. For this reason they included a bonus DVD featuring live rehearsal recordings of all eleven songs played with Rob Trujillo. So it is also a way to show us Rob's skill, since he doesn't play on the cd: we must remember that Rob joined Metallica when St. Anger was almost finished and that producer Bob Rock played all the bass lines during the recording sessions.

But what is St. Anger like? Is it "just another Metallica joke"? Is it expensive because of the DVD? Shall you buy it? Don't worry: I bought it for you, the same day as the release, DVD included, it cost me 21,75 Euros: regular Italian price.

I've been waiting for this album since I was 12, since I pushed play and heard Metallica for the first time: "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!". Then began a strong passion that will not end until they'll record rap songs.

I've never lost my Metallifaith [maybe because ReLoad was my first Metal cd] but I must admit that I wasn't expecting all this. I could type a dozen pages about St. Anger but I'll try to describe it in a few lines.

Look at the package: awful design. Look at the tracklist: hmmm, track #2 is a title track, just as in the first albums. Interesting... Now push play!

'Frantic' is heavy fast thrash metal! Aggressive vocals, heavy riffs, terrible drums and a catchy riff coming up sometimes from all that mess! You might think: "The opening tracks are always heavy". You may be right. You may...

Let's skip to the second track. Now your tongue has frozen! You begin to understand that the whole album is pure anger. In the title track there is just a slow clean part during the chorus: it is one of the few soft parts you will find here.

In this album Lars proves that he can still play drums at full blast! I think that we can compare his work on this album to that of ...And Justice For All: ultracomplex and massive. This seems to be a natural evolution, just as St. Anger was Metallica's 6th album. It is just unbelievable: Metallica seems to have buried every trail of Load, ReLoad and maybe of the black album too! You all remember that tiring title track in ...And Justice For All and its complex structure. Now forget it: songs like 'Some Kind Of Monster' and 'All Within My Hands' are here to drive you crazy. I never heard any Metallisong so complex! Just undescribable. Go further, skip all the tracks: the more you hear the less you believe. Are these the same guys who played 'Nothing Else Matters' with an orchestra? Hard to believe. This is not Metallica.

St. Anger is a brutal Thrash metal work, without any kind of structure, totally different from what we heard before. There are no bridges, no verses, no chorus. The guitars are fat. There are no solos: where is Kirk Hammett?

The drums are simply excellent, for their raw sound and above all for the great double bassdrums parts: well done, Lars! But the drums volume is really too loud. The vocal parts are absurd: no melodic lines, too much speech and screams. Total absence of melodic parts: there isn't any heavy ballad, just brutal pieces. It's not a problem: I like Pantera.

But even the early works featured some quiet moments. All the clean guitars we heard in 'One' have disappeared! And what is the result? A chaotic mass of riffs and exuberant drums: Metallica can still shock us! But in my opinion all this mess is not the right way to regain the fans? trust. These are not The Four Horsemen. These are four mad guys.

I'd leave this review without a rating. How would you rate a Metal record that doesn't feature any guitar solo? Can you all hear me? I bet that their next album will include once again fantastic melodies: I swear it! Hehehee...

I know that while I'm typing this on June 6, 2003 [yeah, the same day as the release], thousands of people don't even imagine how they're gonna be shocked! So it is hard to foretell now, but I believe that St. Anger can potentially become an important turning point for Metallica but also for the fans who abandoned them soon after Load. This work shall prove to the world that they're not done yet: like the phoenix, Metallica seems to have risen from its ashes. At the moment, I personally don't like this record. I'd like to see some other review [even on this website].

Written by Account deleted | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2007 | Comments (61)

Comments

Comments: 145   Visited by: 569 users
18.06.2006 - 14:55
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Kinda messy review, but you got it down pretty well anyway
18.06.2006 - 19:00
W-Lash
Metal Master
Sorry dude, i didn't read all that but if i were in your place i would write only 5 words - THIS ALBUM SOUNDS SO GAY!
21.06.2006 - 18:50
fire101
Account deleted
I dont think it should get a 5 (more like a 2), but whatever, man.
22.06.2006 - 01:16
LethargyMan
Someone should have informed Lars to tighten his drum head a little.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
22.06.2006 - 04:00
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I don't think that this album deserves a 5... I think it deserves more of a 0.5! Put in the most honest way, the album sucked.
22.06.2006 - 06:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yep, this album is gay to the max. However, it's not my least favorite one. I think ReLoad is worse, but they're both horrible cd's.
27.06.2006 - 02:53
.. ::LuY:: ..
Account deleted
IMAO st.anger is a great album, the natural evolution of these guys:cool:
28.06.2006 - 10:13
Damnated
Churchburner
I don't thing the album is gay. It's like a 'thin-can man' band playing. The songs are way to long, and so booooring.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.06.2006 - 21:11
Emperor Sidious
Account deleted
now com on man this album wasnt as bad as reload. When i 1st listened to it i was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? but i dunno it just grew ..hopefully there up coming album isnt such a failure...Metallica !!!!!
30.06.2006 - 02:12
nick35
Account deleted
man this album wasnt the greatest but it wasnt that bad. i love how much anger they had on this album
30.06.2006 - 02:31
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I guess they were angry because they didn't have Dave Mustaine to write riffs for them.
30.06.2006 - 02:52
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 02:31

I guess they were angry because they didn't have Dave Mustaine to write riffs for them.

...And they were probably angry about the fact that Cliff Burton is still dead.
30.06.2006 - 03:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Definitely.

Lars is angry cuz he forgot how to play the snare drum in St. Anger.
30.06.2006 - 13:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 30.06.2006 at 02:52

Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 02:31

...And they were probably angry about the fact that Cliff Burton is still dead.

And James is angry, cuz he just got of rehab when they were recording! No alcohol=MADNESS
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
30.06.2006 - 21:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is fun.

Robert Trujillo is angry because, well, this was his debut album for Metallica.
01.07.2006 - 08:35
Nevermore
Account deleted
This album is intense, the end
01.07.2006 - 11:09
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.07.2006 at 08:35

This album is intense, the end

This album is intensely atrocious, the end.
01.07.2006 - 20:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 21:47

This is fun.

Trujillo is angry because he didn't play a single note n this album. All bass parts were played by mr. Rock. Trujillo only plays on the bonus dvd.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2006 - 21:30
Jerk
Metallica should tune back to E. They're at C and even using 7 string guitars. Why would they mess around with such a classic sound? Get back to real music. St. Anger is a piece of junk.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
02.07.2006 - 02:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2006 at 20:27

Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 21:47

This is fun.

Trujillo is angry because he didn't play a single note n this album. All bass parts were played by mr. Rock. Trujillo only plays on the bonus dvd.

Really? hmmm, did not know that.
02.07.2006 - 04:39
Stigmatized
In the review he mentioned the drums sounded good, yet I hold a belief that St. Anger has some of the worst sounding drums ever.
02.07.2006 - 04:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
haha I didn't even waste any time reading a review on such a shitty album. You're right, the drums are gay to the max.
02.07.2006 - 06:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I definitely agree that "St. Anger" has by far the worst drumming in all of metal. Just collect an assortment of trash cans from your neighborhood alley, two pieces of wood, and reflexes as stable as a man with Tourette's Syndrome, and you have the drumming from "St. Anger". Also, like Dream_of_Hate pointed out, the reviewer thought the drums sounded good. He said in this quote:

"I think that we can compare his work on this album to that of ...And Justice For All: ultracomplex and massive."

"St. Anger" being compared to "...And Justice For All"? Ultra-complex and massive? Every time I try to compute those variables in my head to prove that the statement is a truth, I keep coming up with a flagrant error. I'd rather side with Dream_of_Hate, as I too believe that "St. Anger" has the worst drumming in metal.
10.07.2006 - 03:46
Pianoman
Account deleted
St Anger is too boring and complex for me. I' heard it like 6 times and the 6 times it sounded more and more bad. St Anger has only two good songs: Frantic and St Anger. The other ones are pure shit. Too long, too complex, too boring.
There is no solos in this album and that for every genre of metal is a sin.
10.07.2006 - 03:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Every song on that album sucks, even Frantic and St. Anger. Frantic just sounds awkward, especially the "tick tock" part. It doesn't work with the music, which doesn't work either.
11.07.2006 - 03:45
Damnated
Churchburner
Yeah, when I firts listened to it, I was liek 'Whaat?' IMO the only decent song on this album is 'The Unnamed feeling'
----

11.07.2006 - 07:04
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I just found this while navigating the internets.

http://metal.eu.org/fun/mattsmith-st.angertribute.mp3

I think this is the perfect parody of "St. Anger". It combines all of the elements from the album and puts them into a package that will knock you to the floor laughing your ass off.
11.07.2006 - 07:12
DudeitsKevin
Account deleted
My Opinion on ST ANGER---

St Anger was not a good album, but it also didnt sound bad. You all have seen Some Kind Of Monster video... James was a fcking mess and Lars was pissed off at everyone they were taking therapy because they couldnt work together. They decided to start making songs and they peiced their songs together bit by bit, editing and changing this and that and they released some alright sounding songs but there was NO SOLOS and it still didnt sound Metal It sounded like a different kind of music

Metallica changed from Metal to Hard Rock to Pussy Re/load songs then came back with another change - St Anger

Now NO SOLOs isnt everything.. think of Misfits... alot of their songs didnt have solos and they were an awsome band, but they stayed the way they were, not constanly changing the way their music was

Your rating depends on the type of music you listen to. St Anger was too different for me and I didnt like it a whole lot, i give it a 1.5
11.07.2006 - 09:21
LethargyMan
It's not necessarily the fact that solos have been omitted from the album that's the problem, but rather that the songs were often about seven minutes long, with repeatetive riffs (that you really couldn't hear at all) and song structures. A solo here and there would have broken up the monotony. However, there were no solos. The songs were boring (and actually quite bad all around *COUGHinvisiblekidCOUGH*), with the only things clearly heard being Hetfield's voice and Lars's untightened drum heads.

It sucked.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
11.07.2006 - 09:43
DudeitsKevin
Account deleted
yeah hah i forgot to metion lars untightened drum heads... you just hear it over and over throughout the whole song, and yeah they were really boring songs... 'SHOOT ME AGAIN I AINT DEAD YET... SHOOT ME AGAIN I AINT DEAD YET NO... SHOOT ME AGAIN I AINT DEAD YET... SHOOT ME AGAIN, SHOOT ME AGAIN, COMEON SHOOT ME AGAIN'

yeah ill shoot you

And yeah solos arent everything like I said before, misfits got on just fine. Some of their best songs have no solos (Helena)

Hits total: 23446 | This month: 46