Metal Storm logo
Cryptopsy

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 23.06.2006 - 05:18
I'm suprised this hasn't been made yet...

Founded in 1988, Cryptopsy grew to become one of today's biggest leaders in today's technical death metal scene. Their singer, Lord Worm, is certainly one of the most notable aspects of the band, whose voice sounds almost strained, yet still powerful. Cryptopsy's music is very fast and aggressive, made stronger by their liberal use of time-changes and the intense drumming of Flo Mounier, who gives all of their songs a very prevalent percussive feel. This lineup released two albums, Blasphemy Made Flesh and their groundbreaking album None so Vile.

After 1996, Lord Worm left the band for his own ambitions as a teacher, and was replaced by Mike DiSalvo. His vocal style was very different from that of his predecessor, taking on a more -core style. His first album as singer was Whisper Supremacy. While many people were turned off by this dramatic change, DiSalvo was indeed a very aggressive vocalist. After the release of the band's fourth album, And then You'll Beg... DiSalvo quit in 2001 to pursue a family life.

After a brief stint with Martain Lacroix as vocals (who can be heard on the album None so Live), Lord Worm finally returned as lead singer on Cryptopsy's latest album, Once was Not. The band is now touring Europe to promote the album.

The first Cryptopsy album I heard was And then You'll Beg, and I loved it, so I suppose I like DiSalvo a bit more than some other Cryptopsy fans... of course, I now prefer Lord Worm.

Any other fans?
14.04.2008 - 03:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
wtf
14.04.2008 - 06:43
mankvill
Written by Dangerboner on 14.04.2008 at 03:52

wtf

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/kid-break-i-sit-down-when-i-pee/
14.04.2008 - 06:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
WTF
14.04.2008 - 15:54
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Hahahaha dudes who really gives a fuck, pissing while sitting down has nothing to do with Cryptopsy, maybe some people just have more difficulty aiming but back to the thread.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
17.04.2008 - 07:55
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
So has anyone heard the new album or any of the songs from it? Well I just listened to "Worship Your Demons" from their myspace and, well, if they were an unknown Deathcore band, it would hit the spot in the scene. Regarding that they're Cryptopsy though (who IMO has never been that good) I don't think many people will be very happy. Hopefully this is the worst song on the album but hey, I've only heard it once. Perhaps it will grow? Yeah...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=6404048
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.04.2008 - 19:24
Considering that a review has already been written, I presume the new album has leaked?
17.04.2008 - 19:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by theflyingmachine on 17.04.2008 at 19:24

Considering that a review has already been written, I presume the new album has leaked?

Or that the promo's have been sent out?

EDIT: not saying it hasn't leak, I don't know, can't be bothered to check. Both the new and the old style aren't really my thing, so I'm gonna skip on all the fuss.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.04.2008 - 20:11
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 17.04.2008 at 19:24

i don't know how the staff's, mod's and admins would respond if i would post the link to the album here, so, if anyone is interested and what's an good-quality mp3-copy of this album, send me a PM.
17.04.2008 - 20:16
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
we wouldnt like it at all if you posted the link here, actually offering it through PM isnt very nice either
17.04.2008 - 20:22
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
you can download it everywhere anyway. soulseek, dc++, i found it everywhere, so i don't understand why he is asking for it.
17.04.2008 - 20:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.04.2008 at 20:22

you can download it everywhere anyway. soulseek, dc++, i found it everywhere, so i don't understand why he is asking for it.

then he should just search better IMO, because as you know offering the link is still illegal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2008 - 20:32
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2008 at 20:29

then he should just search better IMO, because as you know offering the link is still illegal.

i don't know how it is in the netherlands, but here in switzerland only uploading is illegal, downloading is accepted. and i dind't upload it, i found the link over another forum i use.

edit: btw, i'm listening to it for the third time now, and though i still hate it, the first 3 songs are not utterly-shit, they are "ok". but still crap for cryptopsy.
17.04.2008 - 21:40

I was just wondering how so many people were talking about it if they were supposed to release the album on May 23. But for hearing the entire album, I don't have much interest and wasn't really searching for it...I didn't like the leaked songs b/c clean vocals in death metal aren't really my thing.
17.04.2008 - 21:44
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 17.04.2008 at 21:40

I was just wondering how so many people were talking about it if they were supposed to release the album on May 23. But for hearing the entire album, I don't have much interest and wasn't really searching for it...I didn't like the leaked songs b/c clean vocals in death metal aren't really my thing.

the clean vocals are just a tiny part of it, it's not like they sing clean from the start to the end on each song..
18.04.2008 - 01:01
ß
Problem?
That last song that was posted was shit. Definatley gives me a reason not to listen to the new cd..
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
18.04.2008 - 07:46
totaliteraliter

Beating a dead horse but
19.04.2008 - 02:54
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 18.04.2008 at 07:46

Beating a dead horse but

That picture made my day.
19.04.2008 - 03:32
Vunts
The vocals are the main element that drown the album completely...I have no idea how a death metal band, one-and-a-half decades old can accept this type of vocalist...even if they were drunk.
When I first thought of replying here, I had heard the beginning of the title track and I thought, besides the vocals, it's usual Crypopsy (which I never liked too much to begin with), but after the first song ended and something else came on with shuffle, I was struck by the hard truth: on this album I will find nothing similar to the few Cryptopsy songs that I quite much adored (don't remember the names of the songs though :p). At this point, I am listening to the title track again and the second half of it is just...well, it's not awful for me, because I haven't listened to Cryptopsy all that much, but most definately it does not resemble anything I have heard from them before, and the vocalist makes the song sound...like some metalcore bands with slight death influences.

Seen as I am listening to the album as I type, I get a bit more knowledgable every moment, so this post actually might end up being somewhat messy, but that's what happens sometimes (B)

In conclusion: If you are able think that the songs are created as a debut album from some random band, then they might have some value.If you listen to this as a Cryptopsy album (stressed by a 16 year existence), you will most likely hate it, because the more songs you listen to, the less this resembles Cryptopsy (even though I'm not a fan, I still know how they sounded like in the past, because I have tried to get more into the band in the past). If you are able think that the songs are created as a debut album from some random band, then they might have some value.

Last note, in the beginning (and end) of Bemoan the Martyr the vocalist absolutely pissed me off, because he seemed to try to imitate Deftones there...completely failing imo. My reasoning: I was listening to Deftones before this, and the way he sung was very similar to what Deftones use a lot (having heard 2 albums and numerous random songs)
19.04.2008 - 11:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I feel sick to my stomach. Actually, I think I might cry.
20.04.2008 - 11:20
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 19.04.2008 at 11:53

I feel sick to my stomach. Actually, I think I might cry.

yesterday a good friend of mine was at my place for visit and i asked him about the new cryptopsy album. he is a fanatic for the first two releases but hasn't heard the new album yet, so i asked him to sit down and listen to the new album. i turned on iTunes and hit the play button, as soon as the clean-vocal-parts hit in, he rushed to the bathroom and had to wash is face, he was just fucking angry or wanted to hide his tears, lol i can't belive that it actually happend.
20.04.2008 - 11:37
mankvill
12 reviews, 5% average
20.04.2008 - 11:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
LOL damn that sucks. The worst part though is that you know some random dudes are just going to blindly buy it, without having heard anything about it on the internet. You can't refund CD's for being crappy!
20.04.2008 - 11:48
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by mankvill on 20.04.2008 at 11:37

12 reviews, 5% average

Except regardless of how good the album actually is, which is subjective obviously, most MA reviews are complete and utter shit.
----
20.04.2008 - 15:26
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2008 at 11:48

Written by mankvill on 20.04.2008 at 11:37

12 reviews, 5% average

Except regardless of how good the album actually is, which is subjective obviously, most MA reviews are complete and utter shit.

true, even though how much i hate the album, the best review which was written for this album is the new one on MA, some guy gave it a 55% and i like what he wrote, even though i couldn't give this album more than 30%
20.04.2008 - 17:10
ß
Problem?
Went up 9%. I guess is what they deserve for having a horrible vocalist.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.04.2008 - 17:30
totaliteraliter
That average will go up as the hardcore fanboys and metalcore fans have their say.

Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2008 at 11:48
most MA reviews are complete and utter shit.

No worse than the average metal site review I'd say.
20.04.2008 - 18:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by totaliteraliter on 20.04.2008 at 17:30

I wouldn't.
----
20.04.2008 - 19:45
totaliteraliter
Written by Clintagräm on 20.04.2008 at 18:40

Written by totaliteraliter on 20.04.2008 at 17:30

I wouldn't.

Because...
20.04.2008 - 20:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
back on CRYPTOPSY topic plz
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2008 - 21:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Well, seems like I won't waste any time downloading/listening to The Unspoken King... anyway, it is not criptopsy it is death metal what is death as fuck... I encourage anyone to tell me about a death metal album released in the last years about which we can say: "fuck, there's a future for death metal after all".