Metal Storm logo
Who is your Favorite Rapper and why?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 09.07.2008 - 11:15
for the few (or not, i dont know the demographic) of you metalheads that listen to rap, who is your favorite rapper and why? my top 3, in no order, are Lil Wayne, Immortal Technique and Tech N9ne. though Tech N9ne is hella club music at times, hes about his business. Immortal Technique is sheer auditory brutality and Lil Wayne has "fear god" tattooed on his eyelids and writes eloquent lyrics. Now i leave this question to ya'll, favorites and why?

EDIT, 2/3/10

the top three i originally had in this topic has DRASITCALLY changed with the exception of Immortal Technique. both Lil Wayne and Tech N9ne have commodified themselves to such a degree that their music has become unpallatable.

top 3 presently

Dead Prez
Immortal Technique
and MAYBE Nickatina or Mac Dre, but im more about lyrics with a message nowadays so they might not make it depending on circumstances.
23.02.2009 - 00:15
Galar
Wicked Mung
Hard to pick one but, Big Daddy Kane, anything Dj Premire produced/remixed, Big Pun, Eazy E, Gang Starr etc... My favorirte is prolly eazy e because I grew up with it.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
27.02.2009 - 08:04
WagonOfFilth
I'd have to say Dr. Dre and Eminem
----
Your trust is in Whiskey, and Weed, and Slayer. It's goddamn electric!
27.02.2009 - 22:57
Talvi
Guess it would be the one on Dälek
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
17.03.2009 - 05:41
ToMegaTherion
Ok i don't listen to rap (at all) excapt that 2pac had one song that i kind of liked, Changes so i guess you could say 2pac. But I would hardly say I could pick a favorite... heck you could hardly say there are any i like. But each to there own i always say.
17.03.2009 - 06:53
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Galar on 23.02.2009 at 00:15

Hard to pick one but, Big Daddy Kane, anything Dj Premire produced/remixed, Big Pun, Eazy E, Gang Starr etc... My favorirte is prolly eazy e because I grew up with it.

good choice. one of my close friends from high school just revealed himself to be a dedicated kayne west fan while i was visiting him over spring break and recently told me that west was the best "overall artist of the rap or hip hop genre since the creation of the genre". needless to say, he was ridiculed to the point of infuriation, but i cant comprehend picking kanye over so many other completely deserving artists.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.03.2009 - 18:54
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by LeChron James on 17.03.2009 at 06:53

good choice. one of my close friends from high school just revealed himself to be a dedicated kayne west fan while i was visiting him over spring break and recently told me that west was the best "overall artist of the rap or hip hop genre since the creation of the genre". needless to say, he was ridiculed to the point of infuriation, but i cant comprehend picking kanye over so many other completely deserving artists.

I think Kanye is Mainstream Raps equivalent to Mainstream Metals Opeth. The artist with the "deep" meanings.. I can't say really because Kanye West is a hoser
----
Coldgrits
17.03.2009 - 19:10
Elio
Red Nightmare
Just listened to Dalek's Absence, this guy knows how to make music!
Other good albums are J Dilla's Donuts and Madvillain's Madvillainy.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
08.04.2009 - 05:36
HugeTheConqeror
Maybe it's just 'cause I'm older than most of the other folks posting here, but my favorites are more old-school:

Public Enemy: Intelligent, socially conscious music. Flava Flav can get a little tiresome, but Chuck D is a master. Listening to Public Enemy is like watching a Spike Lee movie - I may not agree with it all, but it certainly gets me thinking.

Boogie Down Productions / KRS One: Intelligent and thoughtful. KRS One is also very much in tune with African American history and with urban issues. He has even written a book on philosophy, and he has never taken the commercially more viable path if it meant compromising his musical vision.

Ice-T: Uncompromising in his belief that good music is good music, no matter what genre. He is a big fan of rock music, and has a hard rock side project called Body Count. He also has something deep to say, which is unfortunately often missed in the controversy that surrounds his music. The song "Cop Killer" generated so much backlash that no one ever really bothered to notice that it was a protest song about cops and the ease with which their power can be abused, especially in the inner city. The album "Original Gangster" is highly recommended.

Digible Planets: True Jazz + Hip Hop = Really Cool
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
08.04.2009 - 06:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

Yeah man, Premier is an amazing producer, and so Is gangstar. I love their song "Ex Girl to next girl." They have alot of other good shit too. Classic hip hop.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.04.2009 - 14:54
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
I used to listen to some rappers before turning to metal....i guess Jay-Z had some creativity....i usually go to u Youtube to watch in case he released something new or Feat. in it
22.05.2009 - 05:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I rarely listen to hiphop or rap but i tend to like Dj Shadow quite a bit.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.07.2009 - 18:43
cmusiclives
Account deleted
B.I.G. of course! told it how it is....i like the roots and lupe fiasco as well
29.10.2009 - 16:46
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Rap Music in Metal Storm.Blasphemy and Sacrilege.
29.10.2009 - 17:13
NiederHaven
Written by Hermann Langke on 29.10.2009 at 16:46

Completely agree with you... Are this guys mad?
29.10.2009 - 17:14
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by NiederHaven on 29.10.2009 at 17:13

Written by Hermann Langke on 29.10.2009 at 16:46

Completely agree with you... Are this guys mad?

mad and stupid and blah blah.
29.10.2009 - 21:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
Lol at the both of you.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.10.2009 - 02:36
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I would say D12 and Vanilla Ice, his later stuff is very good. In 1998, VI released a rapcore album which isn't bad at all. Here's my favorite song of his, from his 2005 release Platinium Underground, which I recommend to all:

----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
31.10.2009 - 07:53
Zombie, M.D.
As far as MC's go, I'd say the GZA. I mean seriously....listen to Liquid Swords. NOBODY has got shit on GZA as far as lyrics go.

...except maybe Raekwon, Ghostface or Dr. Octagon/Kool Keith.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
31.10.2009 - 10:17
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps

Your poll is nothing but a piece of crap.I mean how can you put up such stupid and ridiculous stuff.We Metalheads take pride in our music and you have given us a topic us about [c]rap music.It is very lame.
31.10.2009 - 13:58
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Hermann Langke on 31.10.2009 at 10:17

Your poll is nothing but a piece of crap.I mean how can you put up such stupid and ridiculous stuff.We Metalheads take pride in our music and you have given us a topic us about [c]rap music.It is very lame.

What is lame is the fact you are so narrow minded.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
31.10.2009 - 14:02
Elio
Red Nightmare

GTFO, leave this thread for those who are not closeminded retards.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.10.2009 - 19:59
Zombie, M.D.

You listen to Def Leppard. You are in no place to call other music crap.

P.S. - Not everyone here is a metalhead and narrow minded asshats like you are part of the reason I wouldn't want to be lumped in the same category as metalheads.
----
01.11.2009 - 02:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Current favourite is DEFINITELY La Coka Nostra. These guys are fucking awesome.

I mean, come on. They're white, probably rich, but they rap like drugged-up gangsta bank robbers. It's completely over the top. Only a few political (politics in rap = bullshit) lines, emphasis on GUN IN YOUR MOUTH type of lyrics. Awe-fucking-some.

Seriously, their album "A Brand You Can Trust" is by far my most played album of the past month. No joke.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.11.2009 - 06:16
tulkas
el parcero
Quote:
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 31.10.2009 at 19:59

Hahahaha Excellent response, my man!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.11.2009 - 09:21
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Haddonfield on 31.10.2009 at 13:58

What is lame is the fact you are so narrow minded.

Rock n' Roll was and is a revolution.(c)rap was never a revolution but a revulsion.I am not narrow minded.I do like country and traditional folk music.
02.11.2009 - 09:23
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Elio on 31.10.2009 at 14:02

GTFO, leave this thread for those who are not closeminded retards.

I reiterate my earlier stand.rock n' roll was and is revolution and (c)rap is revulsion.
02.11.2009 - 09:26
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 31.10.2009 at 19:59

P.S. - Not everyone here is a metalhead and narrow minded asshats like you are part of the reason I wouldn't want to be lumped in the same category as metalheads.

Rock n' Roll was and is a revolution.(c)rap was never a revolution but a revulsion.I am not narrow minded.I do like country and traditional folk music.And I couldn't care much about that stupid music.
02.11.2009 - 16:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
(c)rap is not revolution. (c)rap is not revolution. (c)rap is not revolution. You're failing at mesmerizing us, dude.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.11.2009 - 21:06
Zombie, M.D.
You most surely are narrowminded. Nobody is asking you to like rap, we're just asking you to shut the fuck up or maybe even add a little more insight to the topic than "rap is (c)rap revulsion lulz". You are narrowminded because you are writing off an entire genre of music from what is surely minimal exploration.

FYI - The whole "(c)rap" thing isn't clever.
----
02.11.2009 - 22:43
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

calling music i like crap without substantiating yourself makes you sound retarded. if you're going to knock the music i listen to, dont be a pussy and not tell me why you dont like it.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.