Metal Storm logo
After Forever

Original post

Posted by Susan, 17.05.2006 - 07:45
After Forever is one of my favourite bands.. then and now! I love their musical evolution. They are very inspirational to me as a musician, especially Floor and Joost.

Welcome to the thread
24.10.2007 - 13:30
LCxDownfall
Account deleted
thx... Too bad they cancelled @ Metal Female Voices...
I saw them once, they were super!!!!
01.11.2007 - 21:55
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
The second part of the american Tour report can be found at this location.
30.11.2007 - 23:02
After Forever is also one of my favourite! i think floors voice is really amazing! and joost is really great with his keyboards and keytar! my favourite AF song is Face Your Demons;D
----
01.12.2007 - 19:41
Bash'
:)
Written by face_your_demons on 30.11.2007 at 23:02

After Forever is also one of my favourite! i think floors voice is really amazing! and joost is really great with his keyboards and keytar! my favourite AF song is Face Your Demons;D

You must haven't tried their older stuff, I guess you only know Remagine, maybe also their latest..

Because when you love Face Your Demons, I think I can say you that you liked that powerful vocaling she did on it... If you try the first two albums you'll find them full of powerful, meaningful & emotional vocaling..

After Forever, nowadays, are a good band, but they aren't as good as they were before, they are no more able to produce that amount of emotional music with the perfect powerful vocals, I mean, they now can make the best use of Floor's no more like they were before.. they have the perfect vocalist, but not making that perfect use of it...
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
01.12.2007 - 21:06
Bitch Boy
@ EverDreaM: while I can't tell whether user face_your_demons knows AF's previous work or not, I think that the newer releases by them are as good as the earlier. The earlier have this emotional sound you mention, and also a darker atmosphere, but the new prog AF is also really cool. The self-titled album has a really good quality, and Floor still has a very powerful and beautiful voice.
01.12.2007 - 21:52
Bash'
Written by Bitch Boy on 01.12.2007 at 21:06

@ EverDreaM: while I can't tell whether user face_your_demons knows AF's previous work or not, I think that the newer releases by them are as good as the earlier. The earlier have this emotional sound you mention, and also a darker atmosphere, but the new prog AF is also really cool. The self-titled album has a really good quality, and Floor still has a very powerful and beautiful voice.

Yes I said they are a good band, but just tell me do you find much of these deeply strong & emotional parts, with powerful vocals of her, in the last two albums? even in the last album, Cry With A Smile was that emotional yeah, it is one of my fav.s for 2007 but all time, but compared to Decipher man, you can't say it is as equal as nowadays... no can't...

Decipher, give it now a lsn, get back to any of the last two albums, and you'll know what I mean
----

02.12.2007 - 16:57
Written by Bash' on 01.12.2007 at 19:41

Written by face_your_demons on 30.11.2007 at 23:02

You must haven't tried their older stuff, I guess you only know Remagine, maybe also their latest..

Because when you love Face Your Demons, I think I can say you that you liked that powerful vocaling she did on it... If you try the first two albums you'll find them full of powerful, meaningful & emotional vocaling..

After Forever, nowadays, are a good band, but they aren't as good as they were before, they are no more able to produce that amount of emotional music with the perfect powerful vocals, I mean, they now can make the best use of Floor's no more like they were before.. they have the perfect vocalist, but not making that perfect use of it...

i do know the older stuff of AF.. i actually know all their stuff. but i think face your demons has got very good lyrics.. and i didn't say that i didn't like the other songs they made.. i think they're great... and there is not much difference between how good i think their songs are...beyond me, tortuous threnody and emphasis are also favourites of mine.. but actually i think all their music is great
----
02.12.2007 - 16:59
Written by Bash' on 01.12.2007 at 21:52

Written by Bitch Boy on 01.12.2007 at 21:06

Yes I said they are a good band, but just tell me do you find much of these deeply strong & emotional parts, with powerful vocals of her, in the last two albums? even in the last album, Cry With A Smile was that emotional yeah, it is one of my fav.s for 2007 but all time, but compared to Decipher man, you can't say it is as equal as nowadays... no can't...

Decipher, give it now a lsn, get back to any of the last two albums, and you'll know what I mean

i understand what you mean with the differences in floor's voice in the older and newer music... i really heard that but that doesn't mean that i don't like it..
----
02.12.2007 - 22:07
Bash'
Yes actually their music nowadays, is good music, we/I can't say else! but I still feel the desire for that much of the deep emotional strong vocals..

& Welcome home face_your_demons
----

15.12.2007 - 01:24
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Bash' on 01.12.2007 at 19:41

No way! That's totally wrong! After Forever are better than EVER right now They started out as a very talented band and have continued to grow and improve vastly with each album
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.12.2007 - 03:07
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Susan on 15.12.2007 at 01:24

After Forever are better than EVER right now They started out as a very talented band and have continued to grow and improve vastly with each album

After seeing After Forever live a few months ago, I definitely agree with you here - After Forever is better now than before, because the music suits the band's natural style better Floor seems so much more at home singing catchy yet powerful vocal styles with inspirational lyrics, than she really did singing the complex lyrics of the earlier releases. She's is more light-hearted of a personality too I also think that Joost's style is ideal for her voice too - the band really seems to love the new songs.

And anyone who thinks they have become too commercial, should look at the paltry 100 people who showed up to their concert - After Forever may be more catchier than ever, but it's still an acquired taste that only a metal fan can appreciate. And some of the melodies (particularly synth) they found on their latest disc are some of the most unique I've heard this year!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.12.2007 - 17:37
albatros
In my opinion After Forever have just changed their musical style and many people have a problem with that. I think, that is entirely a matter of taste. I find it a bit hard to describe this change of style with words and this may be the reason, why some are seeking the simplest way and call it "commercial". I rather helplessly try to describe it like "it nowadays sounds like a musical or like American film music" in lack of better words.
I agree insofar with Lyrinan and dismaleuphony that After Forever have vastly improved their work from a technical point of view, be it Floors vocals or Joosts keyboard.
However, if they can reach the hearts of their audience with the material from the last two or three CDs, is entirely a matter of taste. I think, this is, where EverdreaM comes from and frankly they lost me totally in this respect after Exordium.
In any case it is pointless to give the band a hard time over it. I'd rather recommend to go elsewhere if one doesn't like it. The last AF show I saw in January 2007 was really exciting with many surprises and they played a lot of old stuff as well ... and I'm really looking forward to see them again in a few days. Like the songs or not, After Forever's performance on stage has in all but the most unlucky circumstances been breathtaking.
24.12.2007 - 23:04
albatros
Saw the band play in Rotterdam last Friday. Sander was not on stage, again for health reasons, but George Oosthoek helped out once more and seemed to enjoy the occasion. Also Floors sister Irene made a guest appearance for "Who I am" ... so the show was spiced with some excitement. Of course there was some material from the recent CD, but for dinosaurs like myself there was Monolith and Pledge 1 and Forlorn Hope and Follow in the Cry with a jingle bells interlude. For party there was "For whom the bell tolls" and for the romantics there was the Heart cover "Alone".
Support were "A New Dawn" with no less than three female vocalists, who also delivered a splendid performance. The room was packed with maybe 600.
25.12.2007 - 01:11
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by albatros on 24.12.2007 at 23:04

Saw the band play in Rotterdam last Friday. Sander was not on stage, again for health reasons, but George Oosthoek helped out once more and seemed to enjoy the occasion. Also Floors sister Irene made a guest appearance for "Who I am" ... so the show was spiced with some excitement. Of course there was some material from the recent CD, but for dinosaurs like myself there was Monolith and Pledge 1 and Forlorn Hope and Follow in the Cry with a jingle bells interlude. For party there was "For whom the bell tolls" and for the romantics there was the Heart cover "Alone".
Support were "A New Dawn" with no less than three female vocalists, who also delivered a splendid performance. The room was packed with maybe 600.

Oh god i wish i could have been there ..., was the 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' cover good? it's indeed a hard song to sing...., i'm really curious now
25.12.2007 - 14:56
albatros
Written by Guest on 25.12.2007 at 01:11

Oh god i wish i could have been there ..., was the 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' cover good? it's indeed a hard song to sing...., i'm really curious now

Bas does the vocals and I like the original song, so yes, I think the cover is good. It's just plain entertainment and I like to sing along to the song
25.12.2007 - 15:20
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by albatros on 25.12.2007 at 14:56

Written by Guest on 25.12.2007 at 01:11

Bas does the vocals and I like the original song, so yes, I think the cover is good. It's just plain entertainment and I like to sing along to the song

Ahh i see...., at first i thought Floor did the vocals..., that's why i was curious
06.01.2008 - 20:03
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
anyone knows if the new dvd of after forever is a full concert?
----
Stay Metal !!!
06.01.2008 - 22:48
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 06.01.2008 at 20:03

anyone knows if the new dvd of after forever is a full concert?

the new dvd??? did i miss something really badly?? or do you mean the dvd-single of equally destructive ?? because this is what they say on the website about that:

This DVD contains 3 brand new videos, including a compliation of the band's performance at the Lowlands Festival on August 18 2007. Besides exclusive (backstage) footage you've never seen before, the new disc contains videos for "Equally Destructive" and "Discord"!
----
09.01.2008 - 22:49
Bitch Boy
Written by albatros on 15.12.2007 at 17:37

In my opinion After Forever have just changed their musical style and many people have a problem with that. I think, that is entirely a matter of taste. I find it a bit hard to describe this change of style with words and this may be the reason, why some are seeking the simplest way and call it "commercial". I rather helplessly try to describe it like "it nowadays sounds like a musical or like American film music" in lack of better words.
I agree insofar with Lyrinan and dismaleuphony that After Forever have vastly improved their work from a technical point of view, be it Floors vocals or Joosts keyboard.
However, if they can reach the hearts of their audience with the material from the last two or three CDs, is entirely a matter of taste. I think, this is, where EverdreaM comes from and frankly they lost me totally in this respect after Exordium.
In any case it is pointless to give the band a hard time over it. I'd rather recommend to go elsewhere if one doesn't like it. The last AF show I saw in January 2007 was really exciting with many surprises and they played a lot of old stuff as well ... and I'm really looking forward to see them again in a few days. Like the songs or not, After Forever's performance on stage has in all but the most unlucky circumstances been breathtaking.

I wouldn't say commercial. It has clear prog influences, and as you've said, they've technically improved their sound.
09.01.2008 - 23:45
Duy Hung
Account deleted
The more i listen to 'After Forever' album, the more i LOVE it
22.01.2008 - 13:47
nehrodwarf
Really they're amazing!

each one with their special skills!

floor-> great singer, she is too much dynamic, Sander-> great guitarist/composer/grunter, Joost-> great bassist,
andre-> great drummer, make good performances, Bas -> great guitarrist and have a "nice voice",
luuk-> great keyboarder!!!!!!!!!!

they're amazing
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
22.01.2008 - 19:39
Elodie Artour
Slania
@nehrodwarf:Totally agree with you.After Forever are simply great!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
25.01.2008 - 02:32
addiction
i dont get why some people say that After Forever were better in their first releases....i did kinda like them then, but i wouldnt even put them in my fav 20....but their last 2 albums and especially the self-titled one...........they are just fantastic!!! they have improved sooo much and their compositions are just awesome!!! sander with the help of joost (that has transformed the band) have written material that are just pleasure to listen to....and what could i say about floor's voice....just mesmerising....beautiful.....
shame about sander though....i hope he gets well soon. was really expecting the next album soon...but i dont think so now....
----
alive in the superunknown
26.01.2008 - 05:03
VPeter
I never liked After forever, the music is good - but the vocals....
26.01.2008 - 05:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by VPeter on 26.01.2008 at 05:03

I never liked After forever, the music is good - but the vocals....

Same here man... I have some problems with the bands that had the "symphonic or gothic metal with female vocals like Opera or like an angel" stuff.... for me it's just boring as hell.

But the music is good.. that's somehing I have to admit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.01.2008 - 14:27
Abattoir
Staff
Well, in opposite I quite like symphonic metal bands with woman vocals, and After Forever is one of them for sure. I think that this kind of genre sounds better with woman vocals...
26.01.2008 - 14:48
VPeter
I also like female vocals but Floor just sings bad.
26.01.2008 - 15:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
There was a time when I listened ONLY to that kind of metal.. And that's why i don't like it so much...
xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.01.2008 - 16:37
Elodie Artour
Slania
Why don't you like Floor's voice?I can't get this.
She sings great.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.01.2008 - 16:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Elodie Artour on 26.01.2008 at 16:37

Why don't you like Floor's voice?I can't get this.
She sings great.

It's not very hard to imagine, you know...
Think of one guy [me in this case] and think that he listened to ONLY this kind of metal... symphonic stuff with female vocals like Epica, Within Temptation, After Forever, Nightwish and even some things that are not metal for example Evanescence.
I did that for an entire year, because I didn't listened to any style, I was a bit ignorant.
And now... That kind of metal seems so damm boring to me, at least.

It's like a trauma for me jajajajajaja
----
Rod, let me love you.