Metal Storm logo
After Forever

Original post

Posted by Susan, 17.05.2006 - 07:45
After Forever is one of my favourite bands.. then and now! I love their musical evolution. They are very inspirational to me as a musician, especially Floor and Joost.

Welcome to the thread
29.01.2008 - 23:56
Elodie Artour
Slania
Well,I listen mostly to this kind of metal.But it seems I'll never get bored of it.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
31.01.2008 - 10:07
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Well I certainly never get tired of good music, so I'll never tire of Floor's voice or After Forever. I think there are dozens of bands over the years that I liked a lot the first few months, but then got tired of them and don't listen to them much now, though. I believe this is because those bands are ones that are interesting, but not the ones I "feel' are a genuine part of ME. It's those bands that reflect your own thoughts or emotions, or views on the world that end up being the kind you can listen to year after year.

I've been listening to Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" for about 20 years now... and it still feels exactly as good as it did the first day - because they are a band that wrote something that I feel I think the same goes for After Forever, particularly Decipher and their After Forever CD from last year - I know I'll be listening to it years from now!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
14.02.2008 - 18:23
Written by Elodie Artour on 29.01.2008 at 23:56

Well,I listen mostly to this kind of metal.But it seems I'll never get bored of it.

also i mostly listen to this kind of metal.. and as you say, it never gets boring
----
15.02.2008 - 13:18
Philaenas
Account deleted
I did get tired of this kind of metal, for exactly the same reason as previous dude. Only put it on sometimes nostalgia-wise.
08.04.2008 - 22:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Whats connection between Floor Fensen and Mark Jansen
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.04.2008 - 00:36
albatros
Written by Bad English on 08.04.2008 at 22:57

Do you mean Floor Jansen and Mark Jansen ?

Mark used to play in After Forever. He left the band and later founded Epica. He is not a close relative of Floor, although he has the same last name.
09.04.2008 - 00:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by albatros on 09.04.2008 at 00:36

Written by Bad English on 08.04.2008 at 22:57

Do you mean Floor Jansen and Mark Jansen ?

Mark used to play in After Forever. He left the band and later founded Epica. He is not a close relative of Floor, although he has the same last name.

Yes I ask it because same alst name, I thought he was her husbind, brother ort something
So seems its only name think
----

apos;'
[image]
09.04.2008 - 21:24
Elodie Artour
Slania
@K7:Yeah,I was also wondering that because I thought Mark was Floor's brother.
----
09.04.2008 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 09.04.2008 at 21:24

@K7:Yeah,I was also wondering that because I thought Mark was Floor's brother.

sorry in german has term geschwester so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
09.04.2008 - 21:42
Elodie Artour
Slania
There is such term in English,too but I couldn't think of it.

Anyway.

Thanks to albatros for the explanation.
----
09.04.2008 - 22:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 09.04.2008 at 21:42

There is such term in English,too but I couldn't think of it.

Anyway.

Thanks to albatros for the explanation.

Nop there arent
----

apos;'
[image]
09.04.2008 - 23:01
albatros
I think "sibling(s)" is the English term for the German word "Geschwister".

Jansen is a common name in North Germany and The Netherlands. So if a handful people go and found a Dutch band, chances are not too bad, that a couple of them will be called Jansen.

Else I want to add, that I like the sight of "Decipher" in the MS Top 100.
10.04.2008 - 09:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by albatros on 09.04.2008 at 23:01

I think "sibling(s)" is the English term for the German word "Geschwister".

Jansen is a common name in North Germany and The Netherlands. So if a handful people go and found a Dutch band, chances are not too bad, that a couple of them will be called Jansen.

Else I want to add, that I like the sight of "Decipher" in the MS Top 100.

Still ist easyer say geschwister and Jensen yes but there are a lot of mussiacains whit same name, but this case was more weird because thaya re almosut same age
----

apos;'
[image]
06.02.2009 - 02:37
john_mcc
I'm surprised that no-one has posted this bit of news yet, but...

Quote:
Dutch female-fronted symphonic metallers AFTER FOREVER have issued the following statement:

"After nearly 15 years and with heavy hearts, we have decided to call an end to a great and exciting time as AFTER FOREVER. We are extremely proud of what we have accomplished, and especially of the road we took to get here. AFTER FOREVER has never been a band that repeated itself; we always tried out new things, even though many of them were certainly done at a risk. We think that that has been one of the reasons we've always enjoyed enormous support from all our loyal fans.

"The break we took in 2008 made us appreciate all the more what we'd experienced. Now more than ever, we can look back on so many fantastic moments, something we never would have expected to be part of when we started the band all those years ago. However, that break also made us aware of the fact that we can only continue AFTER FOREVER with the energy, the full 110%, that we have always put into it and we've noticed lately that there is something missing. We have always been musicians who create music with lots of passion, and during the break we built up our own lives again and have been musically active and experimenting in several genres.

"Although AFTER FOREVER is very special to us, we feel that we have reached the point where we need to explore the world of music in each of our own different ways. Thus, we've decided to quit while we're ahead. We are sincerely proud of every CD; each album represents a unique period, and all comes together in our last album 'After Forever', which made all of our dreams possible. We hope AFTER FOREVER will continue to be a source of inspiration for new bands and musicians alike so that our music can live on.

"As band members, but also as friends, we've experienced so very much; highs and lows, good times and bad. We'll keep supporting each other in all of our various individual projects and continue inspiring one another in making music.

"Our MySpace page will be used for updates on all of these projects and, of course, AFTER FOREVER-related news, as well.

"You can be sure that this is not an easy decision for any of us. We'd like to thank all of our fans for their support, also during the break.

"We know that this will be a big disappointment to you, dear fans, and it makes it that much harder for us. You have always given us your all and it was our pledge, in turn, always to give at least as much back to you for as long as we exist. In this moment, that's unfortunately just not possible, so we'd rather leave you all the albums and gigs we achieved with maximum input. We'd also like to thank Nuclear Blast, TEG and MOJO for their patience and enthusiasm, the live crew, the fan club, the fan sites and everybody who's helped in every way possible.

"We'll miss you all."

Blabbermouth

I think that they will be missed, they were one of the best live bands that I've seen and always offered a different take on their sound with every album. Best of luck to all of them in all of their future projects.
06.02.2009 - 03:21
albatros
The end of an era.
06.02.2009 - 06:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by john_mcc on 06.02.2009 at 02:37

I'm surprised that no-one has posted this bit of news yet, but...

Quote:
Dutch female-fronted symphonic metallers AFTER FOREVER have issued the following statement:

"After nearly 15 years and with heavy hearts, we have decided to call an end to a great and exciting time as AFTER FOREVER. We are extremely proud of what we have accomplished, and especially of the road we took to get here. AFTER FOREVER has never been a band that repeated itself; we always tried out new things, even though many of them were certainly done at a risk. We think that that has been one of the reasons we've always enjoyed enormous support from all our loyal fans.

"The break we took in 2008 made us appreciate all the more what we'd experienced. Now more than ever, we can look back on so many fantastic moments, something we never would have expected to be part of when we started the band all those years ago. However, that break also made us aware of the fact that we can only continue AFTER FOREVER with the energy, the full 110%, that we have always put into it and we've noticed lately that there is something missing. We have always been musicians who create music with lots of passion, and during the break we built up our own lives again and have been musically active and experimenting in several genres.

"Although AFTER FOREVER is very special to us, we feel that we have reached the point where we need to explore the world of music in each of our own different ways. Thus, we've decided to quit while we're ahead. We are sincerely proud of every CD; each album represents a unique period, and all comes together in our last album 'After Forever', which made all of our dreams possible. We hope AFTER FOREVER will continue to be a source of inspiration for new bands and musicians alike so that our music can live on.

"As band members, but also as friends, we've experienced so very much; highs and lows, good times and bad. We'll keep supporting each other in all of our various individual projects and continue inspiring one another in making music.

"Our MySpace page will be used for updates on all of these projects and, of course, AFTER FOREVER-related news, as well.

"You can be sure that this is not an easy decision for any of us. We'd like to thank all of our fans for their support, also during the break.

"We know that this will be a big disappointment to you, dear fans, and it makes it that much harder for us. You have always given us your all and it was our pledge, in turn, always to give at least as much back to you for as long as we exist. In this moment, that's unfortunately just not possible, so we'd rather leave you all the albums and gigs we achieved with maximum input. We'd also like to thank Nuclear Blast, TEG and MOJO for their patience and enthusiasm, the live crew, the fan club, the fan sites and everybody who's helped in every way possible.

"We'll miss you all."

Blabbermouth

I think that they will be missed, they were one of the best live bands that I've seen and always offered a different take on their sound with every album. Best of luck to all of them in all of their future projects.

I posted it on the frontpage earlier on Thursday
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2009 - 20:03
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by albatros on 06.02.2009 at 03:21

The end of an era.

Pitty but you're right...
Or actually... "The End Of Another Era" ...
----
06.02.2009 - 20:51
albatros
Written by Elodie Artour on 06.02.2009 at 20:03

Written by albatros on 06.02.2009 at 03:21

The end of an era.

Pitty but you're right...
Or actually... "The End Of Another Era" ...

Thanks for your sympathy. It helps a little.

They were such an intense live band. When I saw them first time in The Netherlands late in 2002 I was totally perplexed, that they could maintain such an enormous power and tension over 90 minutes. By then Nightwish were incredibly popular in Germany, and After Forever, who toured with them, were often belittled in concert reviews as Wannabe-Nightwish . That was the good thing about After Forever gigs .. you never met an arsehole there, because it took a special breed to appreciate their music.
09.02.2009 - 00:08
Elodie Artour
Slania
@albatros: Sounds like you've had some nice time indeed...
----
11.02.2009 - 02:46
john_mcc
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2009 at 06:04

Ah yes, I was referring more to people not talking about it on the forum though.

Has anyone checked out Sander's new project HDK yet? It sounds from their Myspace that that might be quite good.
11.02.2009 - 02:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by john_mcc on 11.02.2009 at 02:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2009 at 06:04

Ah yes, I was referring more to people not talking about it on the forum though.

Has anyone checked out Sander's new project HDK yet? It sounds from their Myspace that that might be quite good.

Haven't checked it out yet. But what I heard it is more death and thrash metal. Btw, check out the band Luuk van Gerven is currently playing in. Also female fronted but with the ex-drummer and also ex-guitarist and now solely vocalist of Detonation. Namely: Cardamon. Review is on here cause I wrote it and this is their myspace address... http://www.myspace.com/cardamon
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.02.2009 - 10:09
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I totally missed that they split up. A shame. Even though it wasn't a band that was on regular rotation in my player, I still enjoyed their music
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.02.2009 - 10:23
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Yes, it IS the end of an era! It certainly feels that way anyway. After Forever was the last of the original bands of this genre and now they're gone. I'm so sad, as they were my favourite and most respected band for so long... but on the other hand I completely understand. Most of these musicians played together for 15 YEARS! That's incredible. Of course they wanted to do something else. And extra points for going out on top. Their self titled album was a masterpiece and a great way to end an unbelievable metal career.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.02.2009 - 18:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does Im only one who's happy whit it? No maybe I and Marcel, but realy I dont see point of it, they had realised 2 good albums, first 2 after it it was like I dunno nonsence, .... but well all are logical, because maybe Floor thinks about family and children how metal, for man its easyer being a singer

Im happy they split up
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2009 - 19:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.02.2009 at 18:40

Does Im only one who's happy whit it? No maybe I and Marcel, but realy I dont see point of it, they had realised 2 good albums, first 2 after it it was like I dunno nonsence, .... but well all are logical, because maybe Floor thinks about family and children how metal, for man its easyer being a singer

Im happy they split up

No I am not happy they split up. OKay I am not a fan of their recent output. But live they were very enjoyable and they are great musicians.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.02.2009 - 19:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2009 at 19:01

Im happy they split up

No I am not happy they split up. OKay I am not a fan of their recent output. But live they were very enjoyable and they are great musicians.

Like musicians they are great , good technicaly and Floor she are talanted vocalist, but I dont like band, I dont see reason why band shood play if they cant criate something like firts album,
I have no doubts they will find bands where play if they need and alos they shood not worry about living to...hope they are not same like Boris Becker
----

apos;'
[image]
13.02.2009 - 02:19
albatros
The split up is like the death of a beloved one, who had been sick for a year. You see it coming, but only after it is over you realize, what you have just lost for ever. Now it's time to mourn to get over it. This is an absolute natural thing.
What's done is done .. time to remember all the good times we had with this band. I know, I'm by far not the only one, for whom After Forever were a guiding light during a difficult phase in their lives. For me they have established a reference level against which I henceforth will measure any other band.
13.02.2009 - 15:51
annodomini
Yes its my favorite band too. They were the first band i really fall in love. All of their albums were different and special. First too a Gothic Metal classic and masterpieces, neither "Mother Earth" neither "Mana" hasnt beat them. Invisible Circles long time was a masterpiece of my life. Into remagine i needed a lot of time to come in, i did that just two months ago, somehow i fall in love with that too, "After Forever" a spectacular album, so diverse and so wonderful. And now... Nothing more... Really sad.

At least HDK proves my hopes

I wish to hear Floor ever singing metal again. She is a perfect, and the best of the best.
----
the riddle wants to be...
13.02.2009 - 15:51
annodomini
Yes its my favorite band too. They were the first band i really fall in love. All of their albums were different and special. First too a Gothic Metal classic and masterpieces, neither "Mother Earth" neither "Mana" hasnt beat them. Invisible Circles long time was a masterpiece of my life. Into remagine i needed a lot of time to come in, i did that just two months ago, somehow i fall in love with that too, "After Forever" a spectacular album, so diverse and so wonderful. And now... Nothing more... Really sad.

At least HDK proves my hopes

I wish to hear Floor ever singing metal again. She is a perfect, and the best of the best.
----
the riddle wants to be...
13.02.2009 - 18:01
Joker
Written by Bad English on 12.02.2009 at 19:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2009 at 19:01

Im happy they split up

Like musicians they are great , good technicaly and Floor she are talanted vocalist, but I dont like band, I dont see reason why band shood play if they cant criate something like firts album,
I have no doubts they will find bands where play if they need and alos they shood not worry about living to...hope they are not same like Boris Becker

Totally Agree. i'm not happy they split up, they should have split few years ago, why, because that what often happens when u listen to a band from the very beginning, i got their 1st album when it was out, and it was something brilliant and different, the 2nd also, but after that it's nothing
well after all, i think that every band and escepially newer ones have one mastermind behind it, in this case it's mark jansen, since he left i started listening to Epica, ok AF can continue with the same mood, but with a little exception that it's crap, based on lyrics and stories and musicians ability, not music, the same thing happened with Tristania when they kicked out Morten Veland who formed Sirenia. i hope that tristania split in the near future too,..same with stratovarius and timo tolkki, Those bands they steal the name that the real creator gave them, and they work under that name cz it's wellknown, that's a shame. on the other hand, new fans who listened to the late albums first, will fall in love with them and their hot singer, no matter who was in the band and who made'em big..
Real musicians who don't seek fame and money, would split the band or change it's name, after kicking the composer out, If THEY kicked him out, why the hell they still work under his bandname..those are fuckin LOSERS