Metal Storm logo
Neurosis

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 01.07.2006 - 20:40
Neurosis started as a hardcore punk band in late 1985 in California, as in their first few albums, Pain of Mind and The Word as Law. They did manage to differentiate themseles in this genre though - songs lasting over four minutes and lyrical themes different from the rest of the 'scene.'

It was on their third album, Souls at Zero (released in 1992), that their sound crossed over into something closer to their sludge/avantgarde metal sound Neurosis is known for. Enemy of the Sun was released in the following year, and was a landmark album for the band, greatly utilizing heavy tribal percussion and crunchy guitar work, while vocalist Steve von Till screamed with raw power and strain. This sound expanded further in their next album, Through Silver in Blood, which put an even greater focus on repetition and percussion. Times of Grace in 1999, was released, keeping the same raw attitude and powerful lyrics as their prior albums, but was, at times, a bit slower and lighter than their prior works.

It was first on their Soverign EP, released in the following year, that Neurosis's sound began to drastically change once again - changes that were prominent on their following LP, A Sun that Never Sets. Clean vocals, wider ranges of instrumentation, and very prominent "soft" parts - and yet the intricate songwork and power remained much the same. In 2003, Neurosis collaborated with the singer of the band The Swans, a band who seemed to influence Neurosis's sound, and created an album Neurosis and Jarboe. The music on this album was just as strong as the band's other works, though was telling of the sound to come in their following album.

Their latest album, The Eye of Every Storm evolved this sound further. As one reviewer put it "While Neurosis's previous albums were basically works of metallic ferociousness with some eerie minimalism mixed in, "The Eye of Every Storm" is an eerily minimal album with some metallic fury occasionally injected to provide a bit of catharsis." The band is currently working on a new album.

Neurosis's music has been extremely influential in the avantgarde metal genre, influencing the sounds of many bands: Isis, Pelican, The Red Sparowes, and soforth. Members have been involved in many projects as well - the most ambitious being their ambient band, the Tribes of Neurot. The two vocalists, von Till and Scott Kelly, have also released solo albums, collaborated with other bands, and formed their own record company, Neurot recordings.

I think they're pretty good. Any other fans out there?
20.02.2008 - 17:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I finally listened to "Given to The Rising"...

I really can't say a lot...
This is a very odd experience... I can say it's good or bad.. it just f*cking different.

But this is the third time I've listened to it.. so I think that's a good sign, A I right?
It's a bit monotonous... But the atmosphere. I just can't describe it.
But I want to hear it again... and again to finally understand it's worth
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2008 - 01:11
Candlemass
Defaeco
Neurosis rock...there wall of sounds, are just amazing.
SIB is my most favorite.
28.06.2008 - 08:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Somehow I feel that Neurosis had been always really close to compose a truly perfect album, like, for example, Isis' Oceanic could be considered, but they fail somehow... and the last one considerinf extremely redundant about the older Neurosis' stuff.
28.06.2008 - 12:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 08:23

Somehow I feel that Neurosis had been always really close to compose a truly perfect album, like, for example, Isis' Oceanic could be considered, but they fail somehow... and the last one considering extremely redundant about the older Neurosis' stuff.

So your saying that all the albums are good... But they still lack the little "thing" to be perfect
But they seems to be almost there, right?

Well... I can't say very much since I only have the new album in my hands. and I have most of the song from each album.
And I have to say that no-one can be called.... Crap or something. Even the hardcore albums are very interesting

Damm... I need some money. I really want to buy a Neurosis' album. Maybe Times of Grace or Through Silver in Blood.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2008 - 19:21
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.06.2008 at 12:25

Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 08:23

Somehow I feel that Neurosis had been always really close to compose a truly perfect album, like, for example, Isis' Oceanic could be considered, but they fail somehow... and the last one considering extremely redundant about the older Neurosis' stuff.

So your saying that all the albums are good... But they still lack the little "thing" to be perfect
But they seems to be almost there, right?

Well... I can't say very much since I only have the new album in my hands. and I have most of the song from each album.
And I have to say that no-one can be called.... Crap or something. Even the hardcore albums are very interesting

Damm... I need some money. I really want to buy a Neurosis' album. Maybe Times of Grace or Through Silver in Blood.

Through Silver In Blood is the closest Neurosis had been to perfection... that shit will crush you with its utter heaviness and somehow epic atmosphere.
28.06.2008 - 19:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 19:21

Through Silver In Blood is the closest Neurosis had been to perfection... that shit will crush you with its utter heaviness and somehow epic atmosphere.

About an hour ago I listened to the title track of Through Silver In Blood... Damm, the last minutes were almost unbereable. The drums with that tribal-like style were like hammers on my head.
Awesome shit.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2008 - 20:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.06.2008 at 19:57

About an hour ago I listened to the title track of Through Silver In Blood... Damm, the last minutes were almost unbereable. The drums with that tribal-like style were like hammers on my head.
Awesome shit.

That title track is simply fantastic.
28.06.2008 - 21:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.06.2008 at 20:26

That title track is simply fantastic.

True...
I'm talking with a friend right now and he wanted me to gave him music that he could like [he is kinda new with the metal I guess].

I gave him "The Doorway" from Times of Grace [awesome song IMO] and he was just "meh... this guys are really good, that's true... But I thought there will be more guitarr or drum solos"
I was like "Ok dude... Listen to this one" I gave him the title track from TSIB and he didn't wanted to listen to it because it was 12 minutes long.
What the fuck!?

I want to kick his ass right now... He failed in life and music.
He said that he can stand long songs but with real solos like "La venganza de Gaia" or "One" [WHAT?].... Solos are not necessary to make a good song, what about the riffs and the feeling? Neurosis music is like a big fucking stone that hits you right on the face.

I really want to go to Chile just to kick his ass.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2008 - 23:30
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ Mr Doctor - someone told me that Neurosis are for the "advanced" music listener .

Try again in a couple of years time
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
29.06.2008 - 03:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Maybe your right. Some people just don't understand that solos aren't the most important thing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.06.2008 - 06:55
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I prefer for a band not to have any solos at all than to have solos for no reason or just to show off their finesse at the fretboard or with their sticks/feet. A solo, ideally, is supposed to be the emotional nexus of a song, where the musicians passion for the message within the music is so strong that it is possible to make a material instrument speak (or "weep", as the rock lingo goes). Such solos are a rarity in metal but when they appear they are great. Otherwise, I really do wish those fretboard masturbators would just stick to playing rhythm...
01.07.2008 - 00:50
dehydration
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 29.06.2008 at 06:55

I prefer for a band not to have any solos at all than to have solos for no reason or just to show off their finesse at the fretboard or with their sticks/feet. A solo, ideally, is supposed to be the emotional nexus of a song, where the musicians passion for the message within the music is so strong that it is possible to make a material instrument speak (or "weep", as the rock lingo goes). Such solos are a rarity in metal but when they appear they are great. Otherwise, I really do wish those fretboard masturbators would just stick to playing rhythm...

I probably couldn't have put that any better.

I've been listening to A Sun that Never Sets lately and I like it less than in the beginning. Though the sludgy and some repetitive moments are really enjoyable, I get bored with some songs with quiet and slow beginning and womewhat moaning vocals. Overall, it still seems pretty good though.
01.07.2008 - 02:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by hanna of steel on 28.06.2008 at 23:30

@ Mr Doctor - someone told me that Neurosis are for the "advanced" music listener .

I think that's a fair assessment. They are as heavy, crushing, and powerful as a glacier. Because their music is not slicked down, nor does it necessarily follow typical structure (Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, solo, Verse, Chorus - add an intro, bridge, and outro to get clever) - and is just harsh in it's approach, it's not particularly well suited for mass consumption.

Some metal bands are the equivalent of a girlie drink - sugary sweet, slick produced, pretty, easy to consume, and ultimately forgettable - Neurosis is the equivalent of an Islay malt Scotch. To the uninitiated, it's harsh, foul, and nasty. To those that have acquired the taste, it's a beautiful thing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.07.2008 - 14:54
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by BitterCOld on 01.07.2008 at 02:20

Written by hanna of steel on 28.06.2008 at 23:30

I think that's a fair assessment. They are as heavy, crushing, and powerful as a glacier. Because their music is not slicked down, nor does it necessarily follow typical structure (Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, solo, Verse, Chorus - add an intro, bridge, and outro to get clever) - and is just harsh in it's approach, it's not particularly well suited for mass consumption.

Some metal bands are the equivalent of a girlie drink - sugary sweet, slick produced, pretty, easy to consume, and ultimately forgettable - Neurosis is the equivalent of an Islay malt Scotch. To the uninitiated, it's harsh, foul, and nasty. To those that have acquired the taste, it's a beautiful thing.

A nice way to put it.
09.04.2009 - 11:54
RockeRoy
Hi, where should i start with neurosis? and what are their best albums?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
09.04.2009 - 12:48
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by RockeRoy on 09.04.2009 at 11:54

I would try the newest album " Given To The Rising " first , and then work your way backwards if you like that one.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
09.04.2009 - 20:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

"Given to the Rising" is perhaps my favorite of theirs as well, to reinforce Hanna. It might be the easiest to get in to as well. It mixes both the crushing harsh riffs and the atmospheric moments.

"Through Silver in Blood" might be another good starting point.

"Eye of Every Storm" and "A Sun that Never Sets" are both mellow in comparison to some of their other albums. They are both really good albums, although you might want to start with a heavier one.

There's something about "Times of Grace" that still bothers me to this day. It's not that I dislike the music, but something "The Doorway" somehow just makes me very angry and irritated.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.04.2009 - 20:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 09.04.2009 at 20:08

It's not that I dislike the music, but something "The Doorway" somehow just makes me very angry and irritated.

Weird.
I mean... Is the music's atmosphere that makes you angry/irritated just in the same way that some songs makes people feel sad?
I heard of songs that makes you happy and sad... but never angry . Especially if you do enjoy the music.

But what the hell.. Neurosis is awesome and I want more albums since I just have the latest.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2009 - 21:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.04.2009 at 20:52

It's not that I dislike the music, but something "The Doorway" somehow just makes me very angry and irritated.

Weird.
I mean... Is the music's atmosphere that makes you angry/irritated just in the same way that some songs makes people feel sad?
I heard of songs that makes you happy and sad... but never angry . Especially if you do enjoy the music.

But what the hell.. Neurosis is awesome and I want more albums since I just have the latest.

It's just something about the intensity of the music and the atmosphere that just sets me off.
----

09.04.2009 - 21:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 09.04.2009 at 21:01

It's just something about the intensity of the music and the atmosphere that just sets me off.

Yeah... that song is really intesene indeed. Although I really enjoy this really intense kind of music.
It sounds like the perfect soundstrack to an earthquake
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.04.2009 - 02:15
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.06.2008 at 19:57

Awesome shit.

You should listen to the song "Aeon" from that album,it's even more intense.
28.04.2009 - 17:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Saw them live last Saturday at their Neurosis presents Beyond The Pale at Roadburn 2009 and they were fucking intense. Playing 110 minutes it made me feel like facing Mike Tyson for 30 odd rounds in his prime.
And the way they ended the gig, fucking BRILLIANT, with Through Silver In Blood and ending it with the regular drummer and Steve Von Till and Scott Kelly beating away on the tribal drums. Just hammering the audience into total submission.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.04.2009 - 17:59
TheBigRossowski
You posted that... quite a lot there, Dude.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
28.04.2009 - 18:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 28.04.2009 at 17:59

You posted that... quite a lot there, Dude.

Apparently computer fucked about while posting. So I corrected it now. Thanks for pointing it out.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.05.2009 - 23:02
Deadsoulman
Elite
Souls At Zero has been growing on me quite a lot lately. The more I listen to it, the more I realize that it makes me even more uncomfortable than Times Of Grace. I think it's because the rawness of the sound coupled to these weird melodies emphasizes the ominous character of the album even more than the massive cluster of sound does on TOG or Through Silver... It sounds extremely menacing, like a warning that something terribly wrong is going to happen. Besides there's some of the best material Neurosis ever wrote, songs-wise: To Crawl Under One's Skin, the title track, Sterile Vision (the last two minutes!), A Chronology For Survival or Takeahnase. A superior album, really.
07.05.2009 - 23:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I still need to get that one.
----

19.07.2009 - 06:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard Josh's side project, A Storm of Light? They're some sort of death/doom band, and they aren't bad at all....
19.07.2009 - 14:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 19.07.2009 at 06:23

Has anyone heard Josh's side project, A Storm of Light? They're some sort of death/doom band, and they aren't bad at all....

Saw about half of A Storm Of Light's set at Roadburn and it was quite enjoyable. Still need to check them out on album though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2009 - 14:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Which album is their best? I wanna check these guys out!
----
rekt
19.07.2009 - 19:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by tea[m]ster on 19.07.2009 at 14:38

Which album is their best? I wanna check these guys out!

"Given to the Rising" is perhaps my favorite of theirs as well, to reinforce Hanna. It might be the easiest to get in to as well. It mixes both the crushing harsh riffs and the atmospheric moments.

"Through Silver in Blood" might be another good starting point.

"Eye of Every Storm" and "A Sun that Never Sets" are both mellow in comparison to some of their other albums. They are both really good albums, although you might want to start with a heavier one.

There's something about "Times of Grace" that still bothers me to this day. It's not that I dislike the music, but something "The Doorway" somehow just makes me very angry and irritated.
----