Enslaved vs. Opeth

Poll

Which one do you prefer?

Opeth
Enslaved

Total votes: 277
26.11.2008 - 12:22
TheBigRossowski
One could easily say 'Enslaved is the black metal equivalent to Opeth' or vice-versa. They are both masters of their craft in Extreme Metal. Which one would you say is better though?

Based on new albums?
Live shows?

This is something I myself couldn't say as I'm a huge fan of both bands. However, I'm curious to see the results. Could you imagine these two playing together? That would be money well spent!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
26.11.2008 - 13:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Based on new albums hmmm lil bit Opeth more, live shows, cant say havnt seen bands live
But I like Opeth more,s pecely old albums and generaly I listen Opeth more how Enslaved , I also like Enslaved but Opeth are more band for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.11.2008 - 19:01
Luciferion
Enslaved Hands Down. Do not like opeth live (seen twice) do not like opeth recorded (unless i want to have some easy listening in a state of coma or somtin). So Encsalved is teh clear and easy winner
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
26.11.2008 - 19:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hmm, tough one. I've heard most material of both bands, and I've seen Enslaved live. I was going to see Opeth too on a festival but I couldn't be bothered and hung out elsewhere. Heard them play though. I don't really like Enslaved's studio material but they kicked my ass live, and while I like Opeth's studio material I haven't bothered listening to them in ages. So, based on recent experiences, the winner is Enslaved.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.11.2008 - 19:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Yes, tough one. I choosed Enslaved because I think they're a bit better in the live department.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.11.2008 - 21:57
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I vote Enslaved, it is tough for my opinion not to be swayed by their recent releases, where I feel Vertebrae exceeded Watershed by some yardage.
27.11.2008 - 01:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I imagine it's no surprise to anyone who knows me even slightly from these boards that my vote is with ENSLAVED.

i have four Opeth albums (Morningrise, Still Life, BWP, Damnation) and have all Enslaved's releases...

i like both bands but all in all, i just really prefer Enslaved.

i prefer the wider variety in styles that span their albums, and i also prefer the way that in their newer, more "prog" era the songs just seem better constructed... it flows and make sense, whereas with Opeth at times it just seems like putting in changes for changes sake.

the big difference between the two is that i picked up their "classic" albums early on in both cases, Enslaved left me wanting to continue on and check their subsequent releases as i was excited by what might lay ahead. with Opeth, i kinda got the feeling that i dove in at their high water mark, with nowhere to go but less creative waters.

i have seen Enslaved live once (wrote a review for the site) and they score immense bonus points with me for coming from Europe where they are probably accustomed to good sized crowds, and playing a dive bar outside Phoenix for 50 people and playing with the same level of intensity that i am sure they played with at any of their festival gigs. whereas many bands might be disappointed and play a half-hearted set, they gave us their all.

even having Opeth's best material wasn't enough to inspire me to cough up the same amount of scratch to take a 200mi/300km road trip to catch them...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.11.2008 - 03:12
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I really can't say based on sound because aside from the progressive elements their sounds aren't very alike too me at all. Based on Favorites I'd say Opeth. I've known them longer and I've heard all their studio recordings. I've only heard two albums from Enslaved (Ruun, and Vertebrae). Though they are very strong albums, I just need to hear more of them for now.
----
Coldgrits
27.11.2008 - 09:21
TheBigRossowski
Seeing as how Opeth was a band that brought me deeper into metal and that I've had a long time appreciation for all things Opeth, I voted them. However, I have yet to see Enslaved live...that could be a key factor here. I'm going to see them live next Wednesday though. Ghost Reveries was a let down from Opeth and I see Watershed as a rise from that, taking it in a better direction. Enslaved keeps slamming great albums back to back, Isa, Ruun.. and now Vertebrae. Sometimes for me the Progressive parts are too strong, but they tie the songs together really well! And Enslaved is more on the black metal page, whereas Opeth leans towards death metal. And yet, they both still have incredible extreme vocals. Mike has better clear vocals though, that's for sure.

But... Opeth, number 1..for now.
----
27.11.2008 - 10:02
FOOCK Nam
Good topic, big 2 of extreme progressive.I prefer Enslaved 'cause Im lean toward more on their black metal style. And IMO Enslaved is calmer and colder than Opeth.
30.11.2008 - 09:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 27.11.2008 at 01:56

the big difference between the two is that i picked up their "classic" albums early on in both cases, Enslaved left me wanting to continue on and check their subsequent releases as i was excited by what might lay ahead. with Opeth, i kinda got the feeling that i dove in at their high water mark, with nowhere to go but less creative waters.

Yeah I kind of felt that way as well. I loved "Still Life" so much (still ranks as one of my favorite albums of all time), but each album of theres I purchased I got a little more disappointed, Watershed kind of got my hopes up a little but that album got kind of old for me pretty fast, it started sounding like the thing was just loosely pieced together, save for a few tracks. Don't listen to enough Enslaved to comment on them.

Its strange though, just the other day I was listening to "Below The Lights", (enjoying it quite a bit) and started thinking its about time I should pick up some more Enslaved albums. Probably end up doing that in a few days here...until then I'll remain out of this poll.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.11.2008 - 17:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Doc G. on 30.11.2008 at 09:42

Yeah I kind of felt that way as well. I loved "Still Life" so much (still ranks as one of my favorite albums of all time), but each album of theres I purchased I got a little more disappointed, Watershed kind of got my hopes up a little but that album got kind of old for me pretty fast, it started sounding like the thing was just loosely pieced together, save for a few tracks. Don't listen to enough Enslaved to comment on them.

Its strange though, just the other day I was listening to "Below The Lights", (enjoying it quite a bit) and started thinking its about time I should pick up some more Enslaved albums. Probably end up doing that in a few days here...until then I'll remain out of this poll.

That album, at the moment, is probably my favorite of their's. if/when you do get 'serious' about wanting to pick up another album or two of their's, i'd suggest one of the follow-ups, and maybe one of their first couple, just to give you a full idea of the evolution.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.11.2008 - 17:36
TheBigRossowski
Written by BitterCOld on 30.11.2008 at 17:10

Written by Doc G. on 30.11.2008 at 09:42

That album, at the moment, is probably my favorite of their's. if/when you do get 'serious' about wanting to pick up another album or two of their's, i'd suggest one of the follow-ups, and maybe one of their first couple, just to give you a full idea of the evolution.

That album is ridiculously good! "As Fire Swept Clean the Earth" is incredible and the album is one of the best Enslaved albums ever!
----
01.12.2008 - 01:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 30.11.2008 at 17:10

Yeah, my local CD store went from not even knowing Enslaved to carrying Isa, Ruun, and Vertebrae regularly. Still haven't seen Below The Lights again or any others though. So I might just go gung-ho and have an Enslaved day - buy all 3, then listen to them back to back. 24 Hours 'till the paycheck....
----
- George Carlin
02.12.2008 - 07:42
Lehctim
Hard to compare, since their so different, but I definitely like Enslaved better, live or recorded.
04.12.2008 - 03:15
TheBigRossowski
Still hard to compare even after seeing them live! That show was just as brilliant as when I saw Opeth in Hanau way back when.

Enslaved....against Opeth...

My mind doesn't even process it any more.
----
04.12.2008 - 20:53
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Ah fuck! this is hard question..mmm...i think i'll vote for Opeth..yes..Opeth
04.01.2009 - 00:42
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I think Enslaved are a bit more for the more seasoned or Veteran Metalheads. Opeth are great but they seem to have an easier sound to get into. I'm enjoying Enslaved a lot more these days. Their a bit more no nonesense
----
Coldgrits
04.01.2009 - 03:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@-DC-
More seasoned? They did come out around the same time....
----
- George Carlin
04.01.2009 - 05:39
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Doc G. on 04.01.2009 at 03:50

@-DC-
More seasoned? They did come out around the same time....

ya I know It seamed the best way to word it at the time though. They just seem to have their "shit" together a bit better then Opeth as far as knowing where they want to be with their sound. they kind of keep it in the same musical bubble and slowly branch out.
----
Coldgrits
23.02.2009 - 00:26
Galar
Wicked Mung
ENSLAVED!!! I was so thrilled to see this thread because I am seeing Opeth/Enslaved May 2nd and my friend thinks Opeth is better while I feel Enslaved is muchhhh better. Enslaved is just so much more appealing to me, maybe it's because I like "black metal" more, but Enslaved is clearly the better band .
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
13.03.2009 - 18:08
metalhead3
I think that between enslaved and opeth don't have affinity and i vote for enslaved
14.03.2009 - 15:01
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I've only based my vote on the band's latest release since that's all I've heard from Enslaved. But out of those two: Enslaved all the way! Brilliant album, whereas I found Watershed a bit boring
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
14.03.2009 - 16:47
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for Opeth although both bands are great.
14.03.2009 - 18:59
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I don't care much for Death or Black Metal, so I look at both bands from a Prog Rock stand point. With that in mind I find Enslaved very dull, but the Opeths are really crafty and write some interesting music.
----
(space for rent)
14.03.2009 - 23:11
ForeverDarkWoods
I like Enslaved much better than Opeth. I like the way they create hypnotic soundscapes and really strange atmospheric music. Opeth on the other hand is a band that I don't like anyhow and find very boring. Especially new albums (Orchid has it's moments, but it's still not something I like to listen to often).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
15.03.2009 - 00:25
Metal_Militia
Guys these polls between two bands like this always amuse me. Opeth is one of the most top liked bands on this site, yet there are more people voting for Enslaved. I just find this a little hard to believe that Enslaved is getting more votes because you like them more overall than Opeth. Stop trying to be different and deviate from normality and just vote for who you think is better. Doubt all of you who voted for Enslaved like them more than Opeth. Dont try and be spontaneous and different. Anyways, i dont really enjoy but one Enslaved album from their entire catalog. So, i chose Opeth for overall consistansy and really superiority. They are better musicians and have put out better material.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

15.03.2009 - 08:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Metal_Militia on 15.03.2009 at 00:25

Guys these polls between two bands like this always amuse me. Opeth is one of the most top liked bands on this site, yet there are more people voting for Enslaved. I just find this a little hard to believe that Enslaved is getting more votes because you like them more overall than Opeth. Stop trying to be different and deviate from normality and just vote for who you think is better. Doubt all of you who voted for Enslaved like them more than Opeth. Dont try and be spontaneous and different. Anyways, i dont really enjoy but one Enslaved album from their entire catalog. So, i chose Opeth for overall consistansy and really superiority. They are better musicians and have put out better material.

While I'm sure there are 1 or 2 people voting like that, you have to take into account that some folks on this site don't use the forum (or never sign on), but have Opeth on their favourite bands list. Or some people that don't care for either but feel the need to vote anyways. Or people like me (I haven't voted yet, and doubt I will until I get some more Enslaved albums), I prefer Still Life over any of the bands other releases, but Opeth has also released a large number of mediocre releases IMO, where as with Enslaved (from what I've listened to), they have never released anything bad, so they may receive my vote, despite the fact that Opeth was on my favourite band list for the longest time (haven't really listened to them in a while so I took them off).

There are far too many variables to blame Enslaved winning on just people trying to act cool.
----
- George Carlin
15.03.2009 - 10:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me it is Opeth, but more likely older stuff like Morningrise...i was quite disappointed with Watershed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.03.2009 - 22:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Metal_Militia on 15.03.2009 at 00:25

"dont try and be spontaneous and different" = be a sheep. bah. of course, then maybe Grutle and Ivar might 'download' you...

while i am surprised to see this tied, i am certainly not shocked.

while YOU might not like Enslaved, and Opeth might have as many fanbois in the metal community as the Jonas Brothers do amongst pre-teen girls, the fact is Enslaved is hard working band that has consistently put out quality material and tour incessantly. They have worked hard and the metal world has taken notice.

their latest release, "Vertebrae" was voted by the Terrorizer mag staff as the best release of 2008, finally putting the hump after both "Isa" and "Ruun" had finished second in their respective years (losing to Mastodon and Celtic Frost, respectively).

so while Opeth might have more "fans" on this site, perhaps when you whittle away the fanbois that show up, rank every Opeth release a "10" and never log in again and look at only those users who actively participate in the forum, it gets closer to even.
----