Metal Storm logo
Atheist

Original post

Posted by CrypticMyth, 17.05.2006 - 09:49
Ah..yes, Atheist - A wonderful oldschool technical death metal band, and my favourite band of all time. They've released three albums:
1.Piece Of Time
2.Unquestionable Presence
3.Elements

And I adore all three releases. All three of them are so unique and so diverse. The common aspect is probably the technicality that surrounds all three albums. I can never pick a favourite album if I was asked to, but I hold UP a tad higher in technicality than the other two, and I slightly fancy PoT, because it was the first Atheist album I heard.
So recent news is that they have re-united, which is a good thing. I hope they don't release an album actually, because even Atheist can't touch the legendary three albums . Of course, if they do release another mindnumber like the others, it would indeed be nice ....Your thoughts?
24.05.2006 - 20:53
Richard
Elite
Atheist was a great band, and I should really get the remastered reissues of their albums at some point (currently, I only have copies of the old versions). I think Atheist deserved more recognition although the band seems to have become more well known now... still, they were better than Death (the band) IMO when it came to the technical side of Death Metal. Also, as with most of the best technical bands, Atheist may have had astonishing technical parts in their songs but they also had some catchy, more straightforward sections to make the songs memorable and not just widdly-twiddly for the sake of it. (Which is probably why Piece of Time is my favourite album of theirs).
----
25.05.2006 - 04:04
mvikred
Written by Richard on 24.05.2006 at 20:53

Atheist was a great band, and I should really get the remastered reissues of their albums at some point (currently, I only have copies of the old versions). I think Atheist deserved more recognition although the band seems to have become more well known now... still, they were better than Death (the band) IMO when it came to the technical side of Death Metal. Also, as with most of the best technical bands, Atheist may have had astonishing technical parts in their songs but they also had some catchy, more straightforward sections to make the songs memorable and not just widdly-twiddly for the sake of it. (Which is probably why Piece of Time is my favourite album of theirs).

touche my dear friend......touche
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
31.05.2006 - 08:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Good idea Richard. I have a question, I have heard both 'Piece of Time' and 'Unquestionable Presence' but not 'Elements' and I was wondering, is 'Elements' as ridiculously technical and fascinating as their first two? If so, I must have a listen.
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.05.2006 - 20:56
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
@C-Dub: Yes it is. Very technical, but also a very different album from the first two.
Whatever it is, you must have a listen
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
31.05.2006 - 21:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by CrypticMyth on 31.05.2006 at 20:56

@C-Dub: Yes it is. Very technical, but also a very different album from the first two.
Whatever it is, you must have a listen

Yes, I couldn't help myself and had to check it out. Got it overnight and am listening to it right now. I am beginning to think that Atheist is just pure Technical Metal, dropping all tags other than those two words. Since they have transcended the boundaries of any type of nomenclature, so to speak. Insane stuff.
----
01.06.2006 - 04:10
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Ive seen an 'Elements' copy in the store, and i heard this band is a great technical band before but i was a little off put by the cover - which doesnt usually happen to me, its just been there for AGES now and i thiought it might be a different band or something - ANYWAY. I think i'll get it. If it is a little different to their other works and i find my self liking 'Elements' then i'd have to love their others ... right?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
01.06.2006 - 04:36
mvikred
i came across this thread on wikepedia where people were arguing whether to put Atheist into Death Metal or Thrash Metal , well i'd say that it really doesnt matter ... As one of the members mentioned above, they jus jus mixed up so many genres into their compositions that its difficult to put them into one. I'd say Atheist should have a genre of their own. Cuz if u observe, POT was more like an old school death metal, though a bit technical , Elements again is totally different beats , samba beats, some jazz some blues .. its all mixed, and if u come to UP, its highest level of technicality in metal. i'd say start a genre on behalf of these guys and put any band tht matches up to atheist. i wonder whether any band wud be able to do that.
----
01.06.2006 - 05:18
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Xtreme Jax on 01.06.2006 at 04:10

Ive seen an 'Elements' copy in the store, and i heard this band is a great technical band before but i was a little off put by the cover - which doesnt usually happen to me, its just been there for AGES now and i thiought it might be a different band or something - ANYWAY. I think i'll get it. If it is a little different to their other works and i find my self liking 'Elements' then i'd have to love their others ... right?

I wouldn't be so sure dude. I have Piece of Time and UP and I haven't heard Elements yet but apparently it's must different (and not as good) as the other two. But I'm sure it'll give you a good enough idea about them.
02.06.2006 - 08:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 01.06.2006 at 05:18

Written by Xtreme Jax on 01.06.2006 at 04:10

I wouldn't be so sure dude. I have Piece of Time and UP and I haven't heard Elements yet but apparently it's must different (and not as good) as the other two. But I'm sure it'll give you a good enough idea about them.

Well, it's not that much different. It might not have as much as a Death edge as some of their earlier material, but most of that early material wasn't "pure" Death Metal, obviously. Anyway, while 'Elements' is still definitely in the same vein as Atheist's two previous homage's, it is still somewhat innovative and still ridiculously technical, as I like to put it. I think if you're a fan of one Atheist song, you'll be a fan of them all.
----
02.06.2006 - 10:10
Varoth
Account deleted
I always considered Elements to be progressive death metal, while I considered the other two to be technical death metal. I must admit it took me a while to get into Elements, but now I love it (even though I still prefer Piece Of Time and Unquestionable Presence more).

Written by Clintagräm on 02.06.2006 at 08:30

I think if you're a fan of one Atheist song, you'll be a fan of them all.

100% true. From the very first moment I've started listening to Atheist's songs, I was immidiately hooked. Ever since the beginning. They are just fucking amazing.
02.06.2006 - 23:11
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Yep
I just downloaded some Atheist ..
I think I'm hooked

The speed
The solo's
The ... METAL !
05.06.2006 - 04:01
mvikred
^^^ ive heard them a year back dude ,a nd i am still hooked onto them ... u can never get enough from Atheist man ... every time u listen to them , u'll find something new. their compositions are a big mystery, and u really wanna solve them , whcih basically keeps u hooked onto them
----
05.06.2006 - 07:27
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Got a couple of tracks then from 'Unquestionable Presence' ... Damn good stuff!! I'll be looking out for this album, really liked the speed of it all.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.06.2006 - 19:16
Markku
Account deleted
Anyone planning to see them live this summer, they are performing in several festivals in europe atleast.
i'm secretly hoping to go to Bergen to see allmighty Atheist and Celtic Frost at the same festival.
05.06.2006 - 19:29
fire101
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.06.2006 at 23:11

Yep
I just downloaded some Atheist ..
I think I'm hooked

The speed
The solo's
The ... METAL !

You have seen the light, my friend.
05.06.2006 - 21:14
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
I have, haven't I
07.06.2006 - 22:56
mvikred
Written by Guest on 05.06.2006 at 19:16

Anyone planning to see them live this summer, they are performing in several festivals in europe atleast.
i'm secretly hoping to go to Bergen to see allmighty Atheist and Celtic Frost at the same festival.

they are playing at wacken this august ... i so much wanted to be there .. but i cant

if anyone is going .. then pics and vids being uploaded, would be appreciated
----
16.07.2006 - 07:57
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Atheist are sick. Deathy thrash metal with prog and jazz influences. My god their amazing, truely deserve more credit than they ever got.
16.07.2006 - 10:07
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Guest on 02.06.2006 at 10:10

I always considered Elements to be progressive death metal, while I considered the other two to be technical death metal. I must admit it took me a while to get into Elements, but now I love it (even though I still prefer Piece Of Time and Unquestionable Presence more).

Well put. These are my thoughts exactly as well...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
16.07.2006 - 13:34
Fetid Fetus
Account deleted
Good band.
Technical.
IMO Elements has a slight melodic touch to it compared with the other two albums.
16.07.2006 - 13:34
KMR
Besides it's great band to listen, it's nice stuff to play either - check them out, some of songs are real challenges, especially for bass players. I learned '..and the psychic saw' and I must admit it's pretty cool stuff, its definetly interesting song to learn.
----
Nothing is sacred.
16.07.2006 - 18:23
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by KMR on 16.07.2006 at 13:34

Besides it's great band to listen, it's nice stuff to play either - check them out, some of songs are real challenges, especially for bass players. I learned '..and the psychic saw' and I must admit it's pretty cool stuff, its definetly interesting song to learn.

Do you happen to have a guitar pro tab for that song (or any other song by them?)
16.07.2006 - 18:37
KMR
Nope, just a plain text. I never tried to rewrite it to GP cause of some rhytmical structure issues (it'd take a lot time). But many of text tabulatures seems to be ok.
----
Nothing is sacred.
21.07.2006 - 07:41
Sarafan Light
Account deleted

truly one of the most important and underrated bands in the metal genre...Tony Choy's bass skill is incredible...blistering solos...in the days of Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel where nothing but brutality ruled the day, Atheist released an album that showed tremendous amounts of talent and skill...one of my favorite bands...who would have ever thought that death metal and jazz could ever mix?
21.07.2006 - 12:15
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Heh one thing I've noticed is that generally all people who post here also happen to have posted in the Cynic thread.

This is not in the least bit surprising.
----
21.07.2006 - 12:27
ylside
Staff
(how come I didn't post here ?)

Anyway, anyone going to Wacken this year ? Atheist will be there... :'(
21.07.2006 - 15:49
Markku
Account deleted
They'll be also playing in Prague, Bergen and Athens
21.07.2006 - 15:49
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist

I'm not even talking about Wacken
----
21.07.2006 - 15:53
Markku
Account deleted
I'd prefer to see somewhere else, on smaller festival or venue but it's to far even for me. I understand your grief.
07.08.2006 - 14:22
Markku
Account deleted
The songs Atheist perfomed in Evolution festival are:

Unquestionable presence

On they Slay

Unholy war

Your life's retribution

An incarnation's dream

Mineral

Mother man

And the Psychic saw

I Deny

Piece of Time

They will be playing all the same songs in all gigs because it takes alot of time to rehearse those tunes.
for more information check this review with Kelly http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=589