Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2008 - Discuss

01.02.2009 - 17:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
We know you all like to voice your opinion, so instead of spamming up the shoutbox, here's a thread. You are free to bitch, whine, praise and glorify the Awards as much as you want.

BUT:

- We cannot nominate every single band, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid overlooking/not knowing a few bands/albums (Write in votes are there for a reason!)
- We try to make these Awards as broad as possible. Don't like Metalcore? Don't vote but simply ignore the category.

Well, that's about it, I guess. Just think before you post, please.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.02.2009 - 18:01
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I was just wondering why Bloodbath were not featured in Death. I'm really not into Death at all but this album was a huge surprise for me (which is why I voted it biggest surprise ) And I now have a whole lot of albums I will look into during the next month. Especially the Progressive category has some really interesting stuff there. Good Job.
----
01.02.2009 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good job staff , seems it was complicated and long process launched those avards,

I done voteing already:
I moustly pic up from given options only fiew i vote whit mine, I just vote simply for albums what I knpow and have hear, because its wont be fair, hardest was black, doom n extreme doom, but I vote for those what I know and like best so alos I left many emty, why I shood vote if I dunno any metalcoe, post metal, nu metal album and have no DVD so ,,, dont see reason for it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.02.2009 - 18:24
Ragana
Rawrcat
Hmm, I've voted only for the best "Hard Rock" album. There actually was only one band I could possibly vote for, so it's still something. Also it seemed weird that in category "Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal" didn't appear Amon Amarth's "Twilight Of The Thunder God", although there was Equilibrium with "Sagas" which I didn't like, but what can I say.
01.02.2009 - 18:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Ragana on 01.02.2009 at 18:24
"Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal" didn't appear Amon Amarth's "Twilight Of The Thunder God"

Nominated in Melodeath.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.02.2009 - 18:29
Ragana
Rawrcat
Oh, thanks. Haven't looked at it yet.
*after a while*
Cool! There's even Before The Dawn I was thinking about 10min ago!
01.02.2009 - 18:30
Metal_Militia
Written by corrupt on 01.02.2009 at 18:01

I was just wondering why Bloodbath were not featured in Death. I'm really not into Death at all but this album was a huge surprise for me (which is why I voted it biggest surprise ) And I now have a whole lot of albums I will look into during the next month. Especially the Progressive category has some really interesting stuff there. Good Job.

Thats what im sayin man. I had to write in Bloodbaths album
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

01.02.2009 - 18:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My suggestion for those who will vote
before voteing go true all nominations and chatoegory otherwise you will go to heavy metal and ask where are Iced Earth(under power) ... or simmilar quastens
go true all nomonations before vote
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2009 - 18:35
Elio
Red Nightmare
Obviosuly as K7 I haven't voted in some categories, as power and gothic cause I haven't listened many albums out of those. Prog and Post-Metal will be hard for me and for some others I have already voted.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.02.2009 - 18:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 01.02.2009 at 18:35

Obviosuly as K7 I haven't voted in some categories, as power and gothic cause I haven't listened many albums out of those. Prog and Post-Metal will be hard for me and for some others I have already voted.

I have hera almouist all power and no doubt I voted Iced Earth, and I have hear 80% of Gothic and I voted Eternal, but I never will forgive this band for changing name from Criptall Darkness to The Eternal and changed death/doom to gothic/doom and gothic
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2009 - 22:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I have already voted.

MS awards are great to know what's being done.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.02.2009 - 22:16
Vunts
I will just copy paste my whine from the closed thread with a few things removed such as deleting a topic etc

I'm sad and amazed that Stormlord didn't get in the nominations anywhere. I dunno if the band is really so horribly unknown despite their 15+ year career or if I'm the only loser who thinks their music is good...but...

Meh, at least I got it off my chest and I hope I'll feel better now.

And btw, since I made the post before, I did feel a bit better afterwards.
01.02.2009 - 22:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Vunts on 01.02.2009 at 22:16

I will just copy paste my whine from the closed thread with a few things removed such as deleting a topic etc

I'm sad and amazed that Stormlord didn't get in the nominations anywhere. I dunno if the band is really so horribly unknown despite their 15+ year career or if I'm the only loser who thinks their music is good...but...

Meh, at least I got it off my chest and I hope I'll feel better now.

And btw, since I made the post before, I did feel a bit better afterwards.

Just checked a few samples from that particular album - not at all my style of music, but it does sound like a solid slab of good metal. Not sure if that makes you feel better or worse.
----

01.02.2009 - 22:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I feel like a tool now. The only two categories I felt like voting in were the Prog and Metalcore ones.
----
(space for rent)
01.02.2009 - 22:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 01.02.2009 at 22:23

I feel like a tool now. The only two categories I felt like voting in were the Prog and Metalcore ones.

Oh don't worry, same thing with me. I've placed two votes, for Black metal and Extreme Doom, and I'm most likely not going to vote in any other category? Why not? I can't be bothered listening to all ten bands for pretty much every other category. And I do want to place a solid vote, not just a vote for every album I've heard.
----

01.02.2009 - 22:34
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lucas on 01.02.2009 at 22:27

Oh don't worry, same thing with me. I've placed two votes, for Black metal and Extreme Doom, and I'm most likely not going to vote in any other category? Why not? I can't be bothered listening to all ten bands for pretty much every other category. And I do want to place a solid vote, not just a vote for every album I've heard.

OK, now I feel better. In all honesty, those were the only two genres where I had heard all the albums. Frankly I don't like Black, Death, Power, etc. Maybe my enjoyment of Metal is slim, but hey, that is just me. I like Metalcore, and am addicted to Prog.
----
(space for rent)
01.02.2009 - 22:34
Fhuesc
Ah! some many unheard albums, this will take me some time. Well i was just wondering, why isn't Stratovarius on Best Drama?, i mean, from my point of view Stratovarius' drama it's bigger that MS vs Wiki. Also i see that the Best Artwork suggestion didn't made it . When Death Magnetic wins every possible category, the next year, there won't be an excuse to not include Best Artwork.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.02.2009 - 22:44
Ragana
Rawrcat
Death Magnetic wins nothing. And there definitely are some other artworks which can beat Death Magnetic, hehe.
01.02.2009 - 23:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ultimately, it's far more difficult to select a best artwork, and most likely the best artwork category would simply be yet another category where the biggest band runs roughshod over lesser known bands who put out better material.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2009 - 23:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Cant believe Cor Scorpii wasnt listed under best Black Metal for the year....Seriously epic album!
01.02.2009 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 01.02.2009 at 22:27

Written by Dane Train on 01.02.2009 at 22:23

Oh don't worry, same thing with me. I've placed two votes, for Black metal and Extreme Doom,

You kidding me man BM was I dont know each of album shood win there, each are so good interesting and wounderfull in BM , but if you read written albums you know what was mine vote
but doom .... better life whit no booze, sex, football, sun whatever how choose best doom act
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2009 - 23:41
Hamird
Lieutenant
[?] Why Industrial Metal is not featured this year.. [/?]
01.02.2009 - 23:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 01.02.2009 at 22:44

Death Magnetic wins nothing. And there definitely are some other artworks which can beat Death Magnetic, hehe.

if it wins then people dont know nothing about artwork :puke: album what you like more not awlays artwork be best
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2009 - 23:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Hamird on 01.02.2009 at 23:41

[?] Why Industrial Metal is not featured this year.. [/?]

We felt that there really weren't enough quality releases to have that category this year.
----

01.02.2009 - 23:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OMG best video
pool : 1th amon amarth

wriote in --- amon amarth it was funny
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2009 - 23:50
ß
Problem?
I found 2008 was kind disappointing year for black metal so that category was probably the easiest for me to choose from. I found that Extreme Doom Metal was the hardest category to choose from with many good releases from bands like Esoteric,Skepticism,Faal and Abyssmal Sorrow just to name a few. Luckily I have plenty of time to check out some of the other CD's nominated in other genres.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
01.02.2009 - 23:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2009 at 23:46

if it wins then people dont know nothing about artwork :puke: album what you like more not awlays artwork be best

Yep, true. Although Death Magnetic made me think about Physics, that coffin was completely unneeded.
02.02.2009 - 00:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 01.02.2009 at 23:57

Written by Bad English on 01.02.2009 at 23:46

Yep, true. Although Death Magnetic made me think about Physics, that coffin was completely unneeded.

I havnt seen good artworks after mid 90's gone and that time artworks lil live in doom
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2009 - 00:32
tulkas
el parcero
Sooo...
best melodeath amon amarth's twilight of the thundergod, althpugh i was shcoked when i saw it in the biggest dissapointemnts as a write in vote by someone. also voted it as the best video. in the biggest dissapointemnt i wrote in guns n' roses ch. democracy. and last but not last, in the biggest drama, gaahl's comeing out of the closet still shockes me
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.02.2009 - 01:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Hm, the new Hard Rock category was a very nice addition, though ironically I feel that this year was pretty bad for hard-rock and that last year was great....thats just me though.

Anyways. The Drama category is great this year, every single one gave me a chuckle, good work on whoever wrote up the descriptions for those!

After reading through the nominees and what not I kind of realize this year was kinda lame on the grand scheme of things (not the awards, just the releases). I refrained from voting in quite a few categories this year. Though all in all the awards were quite fun as usual.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin