Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2008 - Discuss

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.02.2009 - 17:39
We know you all like to voice your opinion, so instead of spamming up the shoutbox, here's a thread. You are free to bitch, whine, praise and glorify the Awards as much as you want.

BUT:

- We cannot nominate every single band, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid overlooking/not knowing a few bands/albums (Write in votes are there for a reason!)
- We try to make these Awards as broad as possible. Don't like Metalcore? Don't vote but simply ignore the category.

Well, that's about it, I guess. Just think before you post, please.
05.02.2009 - 21:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Oh it's not the job - so much work went into getting everything selected, descripted, proofed, posted, etc that i think it would not be a significant task for the staff to find a way to list all nominees and final tallies.

the depressing kicks in when you see some of the albums that are really really good - and you see how little votes they receive in comparison to some more popular but mediocre albums.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2009 - 21:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lucas on 04.02.2009 at 19:49

Written by Damnated on 04.02.2009 at 16:49

After the voting is over, it would be nice if we could see how many votes each album got, not just the top 10 in each category. just an idea.

We had that last year as well. Check this link. Or do you mean for write-in votes as well, for every album that got at least one vote? That will probably result in very long and uninteresting lists.

The amusing thing is some of the staff nominations get bypassed by more popular albums that didn't make the cut. in the '07 Black Metal section, Glorior Belli was one of our nominees (i remember as i wrote the description for it) - but got bypassed by a write-in. Now it's as if it were never even nominated or given the recognition it deserved.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.02.2009 - 03:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 05.02.2009 at 21:41

The amusing thing is some of the staff nominations get bypassed by more popular albums that didn't make the cut. in the '07 Black Metal section, Glorior Belli was one of our nominees (i remember as i wrote the description for it) - but got bypassed by a write-in. Now it's as if it were never even nominated or given the recognition it deserved.

Speaking of the description write-ups, I'd really like to know who did a lot of them this year, they were far more humorous than most years I remember, they cracked me up more than once, especially the ones in "The Best Drama" category. Good work on whoever was doing those.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.02.2009 - 03:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't really think that Gaahl coming out of the closet constitutes drama. Usually with drama, there's some sort of dysfunction between members or maybe certain members fighting with some other band/label, but the fact that he just announced that he's gay didn't seem to set Gorgoroth back much. I'm glad the staff didn't include it, but I do have to admit it's still funny to me.
06.02.2009 - 03:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 06.02.2009 at 03:34

I don't really think that Gaahl coming out of the closet constitutes drama. Usually with drama, there's some sort of dysfunction between members or maybe certain members fighting with some other band/label, but the fact that he just announced that he's gay didn't seem to set Gorgoroth back much. I'm glad the staff didn't include it, but I do have to admit it's still funny to me.

Well put. Besides, gay-Gaahl jokes are almost becoming as over-done as Chuck Norris jokes.
----
- George Carlin
06.02.2009 - 07:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 06.02.2009 at 03:21

Written by BitterCOld on 05.02.2009 at 21:41

Speaking of the description write-ups, I'd really like to know who did a lot of them this year, they were far more humorous than most years I remember, they cracked me up more than once, especially the ones in "The Best Drama" category. Good work on whoever was doing those.

All "The Best Drama" one were written by the person you quoted
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2009 - 07:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 06.02.2009 at 03:34

I don't really think that Gaahl coming out of the closet constitutes drama. Usually with drama, there's some sort of dysfunction between members or maybe certain members fighting with some other band/label, but the fact that he just announced that he's gay didn't seem to set Gorgoroth back much. I'm glad the staff didn't include it.

And that, sir, is exactly the reason we didn't include. There's nothing dramatic about Gaahl's coming out in our opinion.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2009 - 23:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2009 at 07:13

And that, sir, is exactly the reason we didn't include. There's nothing dramatic about Gaahl's coming out in our opinion.

Now if Gaahl had eaten his gay lover after sex...or got in a sissy fight with Mr. Lordi...or lead worship at The Flame Within, he might have been nominated.
----
(space for rent)
07.02.2009 - 20:22
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Call me retarded or whatever, but I'm considering voting for Psycroptic's latest over Decrepit Birth in the death metal category. I just seem to really like their new album, i find they still have that special touch to their sound, i like the vocals, the industrial/post-metal interludes are really cool and the songwriting is still great. That said, my decision's still not made as I have Origin's Antithesis in the back of my head as well.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
08.02.2009 - 05:58
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Visioneerie on 07.02.2009 at 20:22
Call me retarded or whatever, but I'm considering voting for Psycroptic's latest over Decrepit Birth in the death metal category. I just seem to really like their new album, i find they still have that special touch to their sound, i like the vocals, the industrial/post-metal interludes are really cool and the songwriting is still great. That said, my decision's still not made as I have Origin's Antithesis in the back of my head as well.
You're retarded! Have you checked Enthrallment & Posthumous Blasphemer? Got a feeling you'd prefer the latter. I've still got a few of your suggestions to try before voting.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.02.2009 - 19:32
VPeter
Written by Jason W. on 03.02.2009 at 21:19

Written by VPeter on 03.02.2009 at 20:33

I have to say the Symphonic section is very well done, it was a great year for symphonic metal. Gothic metal however had a terrible year, so maybe you were trying to fill it up? I don't blame you. but Unsun and Diathra are not gothic metal, Diathra sounds symphonic to me and Unsun sound like that to but leaning sometimes to heard rock even. Flowing Tears latest sounds so weird I don't even know where to put it:P
and The Eternal sounds more doom then gothic to be honest. One of the vital releases I thought for the gothic metal for example was ASP latest, ASP isn't all that unkown so why no ASP?

Well I checked them right away when I saw them nominated and read the description plus those great covers. First I was sceptical since power metal bands often have fantastic covers but there music is so generic and saltless. Thanks again dude, picking a vote for Symphonic metal is going to be very hard right now!

Well, I hope you don't think it was all me doing the work - it's a collective effort, it's just more my taste so I put more effort into it and finding bands that were worth nominating - or skipping over . Regarding The Eternal, there was some discussion and it was moved to gothic - really, if all the songs were like "Blood" I would say you were more right, but considering who we and the metal community usually put in gothic, bands like Paradise Lost to Cradle Of Filth to Moonspell to Delight to Tristania, there is a wide range that can be considered gothic And also, it's the whole CD that it is important for the genre decision - the rest to me at least is more gothic, particularly when you compare it to the doom nominees for 2008!

I'd say that explains everything, really - sure some bands are blatant, but others are difficult, or share two types of styles at once, and could go either way! There's a reason why people have "genre" arguments all the time

By the way, who is ASP? An abbreviation for something I do not know, or just something I've never abbreviated? I certainly don't know every band in existence

I myself get very tired of metalheads labeling Gothic Metal all wrong, many metalheads don't even know what Goth music is. Cradle of Filth have nothing Gothic in them, even though they covered "No time to cry" of the Sisters of Mercy. They are Blackened/extreme heavy metal.

You seriously don't know ASP? maybe of the difference between the USA and Europe. ASP have been promoted several times a lot by Nuclear Blast and Orkus. www.myspace.com/thetalesofasp
08.02.2009 - 22:32
Damnated
Churchburner
does the staff really think the mars volta is prog metal? :

oh, and another thing. how come you didn't add anything from DSO? they released two fantastic compilations, one decent and one lousy EP? that's 4 releases in total. plus, i thought you guys were in high heavens from Chaining the katelol, well, at least Marcel was.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.02.2009 - 23:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 08.02.2009 at 22:32

oh, and another thing. how come you didn't add anything from DSO? they released two fantastic compilations, one decent and one lousy EP? that's 4 releases in total. plus, i thought you guys were in high heavens from Chaining the katelol, well, at least Marcel was.

I am a post Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice DSO fanboy (more or less) but I am against adding ep's. But that's probably just me.
As for the other ep, that's just a re-release of a song already released a couple of years ago.
As for compilations, Manifestations 2000-2001 was a re-release as well. Only Manifestations 2002 could have been considered. Well, I did considered that one and was left totally indifferent about it. But then again, as you know, I don't find any of their work before Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice special at all. Enjoyable, yes, but worthy of a nomination, nope.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2009 - 11:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2009 at 23:01

I am a post Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice DSO fanboy (more or less) but I am against adding ep's. But that's probably just me.

that's strange because in 2005 Kenose got nominated, so did other EPs this year, like Jesu's Why Are We Not Perfect etc
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.02.2009 - 11:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 09.02.2009 at 11:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2009 at 23:01

that's strange because in 2005 Kenose got nominated, so did other EPs this year, like Jesu's Why Are We Not Perfect etc

I know Kenose did get nominated as was another one this year. But I think I was the only staff member who is against nominating ep's. But then again Kenose was 36 minutes long whereas Chaining is only a mere 22 minutes long, plus it of course didn't help that Chaining was released in December. Personally I am happy with all the nominations in the black metal category except maybe for Darkthrone, but then again I have never really enjoyed Darkthrone at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.02.2009 - 00:42
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Syk on 08.02.2009 at 05:58

Written by Visioneerie on 07.02.2009 at 20:22
You're retarded! Have you checked Enthrallment & Posthumous Blasphemer? Got a feeling you'd prefer the latter. I've still got a few of your suggestions to try before voting.

Hah yes, i needed someone to speak some sense into me . I probably will end up voting for Decrepit Birth though (talk about the peer pressure). Psycroptic and Origin are still close seconds. Thanks for the recs man and you should definitely check out Banishment before you vote, the production isn't very good but once i got over that, i enjoyed the album alot,.. put Immolation and Deeds of Flesh in a blender and you've got Banishment...sort of.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.02.2009 - 02:21
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I am having a difficult choice between Testament and Toxic Holocaust...two totally different bands...Testament obviously with a completely "blow away" album...but I'm liking the underdogs...

EDIT: Ok...I think everything I know about music is telling me Testament is a much better album...but...it just doesn't make me want to smash car windows with my old-school skateboard...well it does, just not as much as T.H. - they're getting my vote, because it's THRASH.
----
Brujerizmo!
12.02.2009 - 09:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Konrad on 12.02.2009 at 02:21

I am having a difficult choice between Testament and Toxic Holocaust...two totally different bands...Testament obviously with a completely "blow away" album...but I'm liking the underdogs...

EDIT: Ok...I think everything I know about music is telling me Testament is a much better album...but...it just doesn't make me want to smash car windows with my old-school skateboard...well it does, just not as much as T.H. - they're getting my vote, because it's THRASH.

I had the exact same problem! Those were the two stand-out thrash metal albums for me this year (er...last year, sorry). Ended up going with Toxic Holocaust, sure its not as technical as Testament, but its such a fun album, kind of that skater thrash, like Municipal Waste in a way.

You voted for Toxic Holocaust or Testament? (I could exactly tell by your post).
----
- George Carlin
12.02.2009 - 18:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I'm surprised no one wrote in The Reckoning - Counterblast and Outcast - Self-Injected Reality, which, although is not pure Death Metal, fit sinto that category. Two great albums.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.02.2009 - 19:49
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Doc G. on 12.02.2009 at 09:59

Written by Konrad on 12.02.2009 at 02:21

I had the exact same problem! Those were the two stand-out thrash metal albums for me this year (er...last year, sorry). Ended up going with Toxic Holocaust, sure its not as technical as Testament, but its such a fun album, kind of that skater thrash, like Municipal Waste in a way.

You voted for Toxic Holocaust or Testament? (I could exactly tell by your post).

I voted for Toxic Holocaust dude...if it was overall best metal album, I would have gone with Testament...but it's a distinct "Thrash" catagory and T.H. makes me want to break more shit when I listen to it.

It's the dude from Municipal Waste.
----
Brujerizmo!
14.02.2009 - 05:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Konrad on 13.02.2009 at 19:49

I voted for Toxic Holocaust dude...if it was overall best metal album, I would have gone with Testament...but it's a distinct "Thrash" catagory and T.H. makes me want to break more shit when I listen to it.

Agreed. What dude from Municipal Waste?
----
- George Carlin
19.02.2009 - 11:58
frontpage
Nice list

but either Soulfly or Cavalera conspiracy should have been nominated
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
19.02.2009 - 12:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by frontpage on 19.02.2009 at 11:58

Nice list

Well counting the staff votes for that category neither one got in the staff top 10, therefore no nomination. But of course you can always use the write-in vote option.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2009 - 06:50
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I'm very curious about the drama section of this awards jaja there were a lot of funny dramas last year (just read the write-in votes jaja) who writes the description for each one? Those are great, jaja like the one about Glen Benton. I voted for the one about Rhapsody (they are my boys hehe I had to vote for them).

Many of my votes are done but there are categories where maybe I won't vote because of my ignorance in the genre (like the stoner or the avantgarde category), I hope the next year I'll give a try to some other categories.

I'm also curious about the cover section, I did not have idea of how many covers were made this year and some of them are great, sadly I discovered this band "Combo de la Muerte" this year thanks to Jeff's review, they have awesome cover songs (in latin jazz!!!). But there were other great covers like the ones of Van Canto or that funny cover song of the TMNT theme song made by Bonded By Blood.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.02.2009 - 16:16
Hamird
Lieutenant
Yes, the Drama section is interesting. I voted for Metalstorm vs Wikipedia basically because the text is funny way of describing.. But some of write-in-votes are very similar to Celebrity Gossips rather than Drama.. And also I can't find the dramatic point of leaving the stage by Annette Olzon..
20.02.2009 - 19:16
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Doc G. on 14.02.2009 at 05:09

Written by Konrad on 13.02.2009 at 19:49

Agreed. What dude from Municipal Waste?

I thought he was in MW but apparently he's not. Maybe the bands have just toured together or something because they are definitely associated.
----
Brujerizmo!
22.02.2009 - 06:04
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2009 at 12:40
Nice list

Well counting the staff votes for that category neither one got in the staff top 10, therefore no nomination. But of course you can always use the write-in vote option.
Which category's that? Mistake in thrash write-ins, Negligence released by themselves in 2007. Last year was some label's rerelease.
----

22.02.2009 - 13:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Syk on 22.02.2009 at 06:04

Nice list

Which category's that? Mistake in thrash write-ins, Negligence released by themselves in 2007. Last year was some label's rerelease.

Soulfly - Conquer is from 2008 as is Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted. What is this Negligence release you're talking about?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2009 - 02:51
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.02.2009 at 13:45
Written by Syk on 22.02.2009 at 06:04
Nice list

Soulfly - Conquer is from 2008 as is Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted. What is this Negligence release you're talking about?
I know the releases. Your earlier post referred to "that category" but neither you nor he actually stated a category.

In the thrash write-ins someone wrote Negligence but it doesn't belong.
----

23.02.2009 - 03:55
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Sorted.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont