Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2008 - Discuss

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.02.2009 - 17:39
We know you all like to voice your opinion, so instead of spamming up the shoutbox, here's a thread. You are free to bitch, whine, praise and glorify the Awards as much as you want.

BUT:

- We cannot nominate every single band, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid overlooking/not knowing a few bands/albums (Write in votes are there for a reason!)
- We try to make these Awards as broad as possible. Don't like Metalcore? Don't vote but simply ignore the category.

Well, that's about it, I guess. Just think before you post, please.
02.02.2009 - 01:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm not done voting yet because there are still some bands I need to check out, but most of my votes are write-ins. I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I am disappointed with the grindcore category and Decrepit Birth not getting a nomination in the death metal category. Thanks to the awards though, I have found out about some good albums that I've overlooked
02.02.2009 - 01:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 02.02.2009 at 01:08

I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I am disappointed with the grindcore category and Decrepit Birth not getting a nomination in the death metal category.

I wouldn't worry, anything related to Mikael Akerfeldt will win, which means I have a feeling Bloodbath will get a write-in win....just a prediction.

The one thing I'm pissed off about is Guns N' Roses getting so many write-ins for "Biggest Letdown". Now this isn't a GnR fanboy bitch-off here, I just think these people don't know the definition of "Letdown", its one that you were anticipating to be good but ended up being crap, I have a feeling that the people that wrote Chinese Democracy in hated Axl for years, and would have hated the album no matter what it sounded like, so its not like they were "Letdown". Maybe thats just me...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 01:26
Vunts
Written by Lucas on 01.02.2009 at 22:21

Written by Vunts on 01.02.2009 at 22:16

I will just copy paste my whine from the closed thread with a few things removed such as deleting a topic etc

I'm sad and amazed that Stormlord didn't get in the nominations anywhere. I dunno if the band is really so horribly unknown despite their 15+ year career or if I'm the only loser who thinks their music is good...but...

Meh, at least I got it off my chest and I hope I'll feel better now.

And btw, since I made the post before, I did feel a bit better afterwards.

Just checked a few samples from that particular album - not at all my style of music, but it does sound like a solid slab of good metal. Not sure if that makes you feel better or worse.

Hey, if it aint your style but you still think it's good, then all the better!
02.02.2009 - 01:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.02.2009 at 23:23

Cant believe Cor Scorpii wasnt listed under best Black Metal for the year....Seriously epic album!

Well, alas, it is not just me making up the top whatever lists, else it would have made it. Great album I agree.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 02:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
See Marcel, even you and I can agree on some things
02.02.2009 - 02:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.02.2009 at 02:02

See Marcel, even you and I can agree on some things

I never suggested we couldn't. Even on cricket I agree with you currently, although I am an Aussie fan. But we will always disagree on WinterCum, power metal and folk metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 05:27
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Based on my opinion, and personal taste of course, the death metal category could've been better. I think that Decrepit Birth and Severed Savior were essential, let's not forget Banishment's debut if you guys actually bothered to check that out. I liked the fact you guys put Recueil Morbide up there, but honestly ... Septic Flesh ? The Rotted ? meh i'm not so sure. It shows that most of the staff are european though, it's as if you forgot about the american bands.

Anyways i'll probably be voting for the death metal, avantgarde and post-metal categories this year, just discovered Virus thanks to its mention in the avantgarde section, so that's a win.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
02.02.2009 - 06:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

I'm not done voting yet because there are still some bands I need to check out, but most of my votes are write-ins. I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I am disappointed with the grindcore category and Decrepit Birth not getting a nomination in the death metal category. Thanks to the awards though, I have found out about some good albums that I've overlooked

thanks for taking the time to check out the nominees rather than just blow your wad on the bands you already know and love.

as part of the awards committee, i gotta say that each of the last two years other staffers have lobbied hard for bands i had not heard before or had paid virtually no attention to, and i am thankful because i took the time to heed their advice and found a band or three that i now love.

i realize even though we've made it as easy as possible for even for the most cementheaded metalstormer to check out each nominee, 95% of the voters won't bother and will just vote for Opeth/Amon Amarth/Metallica/<insert big name band that released a sub-par album this year here>, i'm really stoked that at least a couple of you will take that time and make that effort. ultimately, your efforts should hopefully be rewarded with some cool new music you might otherwise have missed.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2009 - 08:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 02.02.2009 at 06:16

i realize even though we've made it as easy as possible for even for the most cementheaded metalstormer to check out each nominee, 95% of the voters won't bother and will just vote for Opeth/Amon Amarth/Metallica/<insert big name band that released a sub-par album this year here>, i'm really stoked that at least a couple of you will take that time and make that effort. ultimately, your efforts should hopefully be rewarded with some cool new music you might otherwise have missed.

Admittedly though it does take a lot of time and dedication to be able to get to all the nominees. Took me a good half-day (literally 12 hours, with a few breaks in between) alone just to get all the doom & extreme doom nominees soaked into my brain (hell, I even went the extra mile and checked out stuff on youtube from the bands that really impressed me on their myspace.) Though both the thrash, hard-rock and heavy metal categories didn't take nearly as long, luckily got a chance to check out most of those nominees earlier on in the year.

...Also, Abyssmal Sorrow doesn't have its myspace linked for some reason.
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 08:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
They might not have one. i know Leviathan doesn't...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2009 - 08:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@BitterCOld
No, they do, took me about 15 seconds to find. Some lazy people need instant links though.
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 08:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Was that Abyssmal Sorrow or Abyss of Sorrow? typing in "abyssmal sorrow myspace" didn't yield "AS" myspace page on my first page of results, but did for "AoS"...
----

02.02.2009 - 09:05
VPeter
Whine: The Gothic Metal awards are still screwed up, there are still symphonic metal releases in the Gothic metal category.

Missing some vital releases

props: To who ever wrote all those biggest drama articles, they are priceless piece by piece.

Leaving out some crappy releases of uberpopulair bands like Dragonforce, giving other more unkown bands a better chance. Since the average intelligence of the casual people who watch the site and vote is on the same level as that of the youtber. They most likely can't find the write in option.

I have already discoverd some great albums that I overlooked like Almôra's Kiyamet Senfonisi and Unshine's The Enigma Of Immortals. Thanks staff!
02.02.2009 - 09:25
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by VPeter on 02.02.2009 at 09:05

Whine: The Gothic Metal awards are still screwed up, there are still symphonic metal releases in the Gothic metal category.

Missing some vital releases

props: To who ever wrote all those biggest drama articles, they are priceless piece by piece.

Leaving out some crappy releases of uberpopulair bands like Dragonforce, giving other more unkown bands a better chance. Since the average intelligence of the casual people who watch the site and vote is on the same level as that of the youtber. They most likely can't find the write in option.

I have already discoverd some great albums that I overlooked like Almôra's Kiyamet Senfonisi and Unshine's The Enigma Of Immortals. Thanks staff!

Feel free to elaborate about some releases you feel are missing - this is the "whining" thread I'd be interested, since Gothic and Symphonic are categories I put some decent amount of work into. Which releases were "vital" for you that we missed? And which bands do you consider "symphonic" that we have in the Gothic category, because I can't find any

Very cool you checked out Almora and Unshine! I hadn't heard of Almora until December, but totally love the latest album
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.02.2009 - 10:06
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The black metal category was was the hardest for me. I eventually picked Gorath. their new album (what I've heard of it) was very good. I'm also surprised Cor Scorpii didn't make the list. Monument was a great first album.

EDIT: who the hell nominated, Winds of Plagues, Decimate the weak for best debut? Its one of the worst things I've ever heard and from what I know not even a debut...
----
Coldgrits
02.02.2009 - 10:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 02.02.2009 at 08:38

Was that Abyssmal Sorrow or Abyss of Sorrow? typing in "abyssmal sorrow myspace" didn't yield "AS" myspace page on my first page of results, but did for "AoS"...

Actually scratch that, its Deaden Productions I found, which had 3 songs from Abyssmal Sorrow.

www.myspace.com/deadenproductions
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 11:18
Damnated
Churchburner
Lol @ darkthrone and nachmystium being in the black metal category.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.02.2009 - 12:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Damnated on 02.02.2009 at 11:18

Yes, since both are still black metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 12:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 02.02.2009 at 10:06

EDIT: who the hell nominated, Winds of Plagues, Decimate the weak for best debut? Its one of the worst things I've ever heard and from what I know not even a debut...

Did we nominate it, or was it a write-in? Cause I can't find it in the ten nominated by staff as best debut.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 12:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 02.02.2009 at 10:06

Okay I found it it was a write-in vote, deleted it together with the write in for best debut Evile
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 14:56
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 12:44

Written by Damnated on 02.02.2009 at 11:18

Yes, since both are still black metal.

perhaps nachmystium can be squeezed into black metal, but that new darkthrone is pure crust.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.02.2009 - 17:43
Vunts
Hmm...one thing about Stormlord. I voted it under black metal, but I remembered that...well, it's not all that black, that it's more symphonic. So if this assumption is true, I'd like my vote under black metal to be removed so I could add it into the symphonic area.
02.02.2009 - 18:20
-Soulreaper-
I was just thinking that there should be a best live album award. There have been a couple really good ones this year. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it if you will.
02.02.2009 - 18:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by -Soulreaper- on 02.02.2009 at 18:20

I was just thinking that there should be a best live album award. There have been a couple really good ones this year. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it if you will.

Live album is complicated it can be re cvorder 1991 or 2007 but realised 2008, so if there's re cirdet live 2008 and realised why not ... but you can vote about it in best DVD nomiation
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.02.2009 - 18:30
TheBigRossowski
I'll just come right out and let you guys know my vote went to A Forest of Stars for the Black Metal Category. Though if I could describe it in one word, that word would be 'odd'. I find a comfortable place in that album for some reason. It's something completely different and yet staying withing the reasonable realms of black metal.

And technically Damnated, you could say Darkthrone had the MOST Black metal album of all... according to Venom's laid out 'standards' for the genre.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
02.02.2009 - 18:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 02.02.2009 at 18:30

I'll just come right out and let you guys know my vote went to A Forest of Stars for the Black Metal Category.

Mmm, that surprised me... somehow I thought you would vote for a certain Belgian band there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 18:39
TheBigRossowski
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 18:34

Written by TheBigRossowski on 02.02.2009 at 18:30

I'll just come right out and let you guys know my vote went to A Forest of Stars for the Black Metal Category.

Mmm, that surprised me... somehow I thought you would vote for a certain Belgian band there.

Far out man! I surprised me TOO!!!

It was rough...I REALLY wanted to vote for Misotheism, but I thought A Forest of Stars was just...so...ODD. Misotheism, still an extraordinary album nonetheless!

I went so far as to make a bulletin on myspace about the Awards and I wrote a little side comment 'sorry Filip' or something like that, lol. Tough choice.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
02.02.2009 - 19:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Darkthrone made sense in black metal to me, ultimately. the band is part black, still, as well as crust and some "regular" metal thrown in as well, but it seems it was the best fit for them.

and while i love the album, and it's probably my favorite in that category, i voted for one of the other bands because i felt their release was the best black metal album.
----

02.02.2009 - 19:13
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2009 at 01:14

I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I am disappointed with the grindcore category and Decrepit Birth not getting a nomination in the death metal category.

I wouldn't worry, anything related to Mikael Akerfeldt will win, which means I have a feeling Bloodbath will get a write-in win....just a prediction.

The one thing I'm pissed off about is Guns N' Roses getting so many write-ins for "Biggest Letdown". Now this isn't a GnR fanboy bitch-off here, I just think these people don't know the definition of "Letdown", its one that you were anticipating to be good but ended up being crap, I have a feeling that the people that wrote Chinese Democracy in hated Axl for years, and would have hated the album no matter what it sounded like, so its not like they were "Letdown". Maybe thats just me...

Not at all, and the same is for Children Of Bodom for example, although almost everybody thought the new album was shit before listening to it.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.02.2009 - 19:16
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Elio on 02.02.2009 at 19:13
Not at all, and the same is for Children Of Bodom for example, although almost everybody thought the new album was shit before listening to it.

After serious listening to it I think it's a shit anyway.