Metal Storm logo
When have you heard enough?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 06.03.2009 - 14:47
Alright, so for the past few months I've hit a bit of a wall with bands. I just feel satisfied with what I have, and while it feels pretty good to not have the urge to search and delve further into the realms of Metal music because it means I'm sated already, it is also freaking me out a little. I'm happy with what I've heard so far, so I've lost the desire to search any more. Have any of you have experienced stuff like this before?
26.06.2010 - 18:41
Got Mayhem?
Sure, but trust me, there are always more bands worth hearing out there. Case in point: Vordven. Just when I thought that I had heard just about all the melodic BM worth hearing I randomly find them and their amazing 1999 release "Towards the Frozen Stream". I guess it's important to remember that a bands notoriety has nothing to do with the quality of their music. Tons of underground bands have formed, released one or two (potentially amazing) albums, and simply disappeared.
----
16.10.2011 - 15:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I've been on a music binge for a year and a half. So, basically, never?
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.10.2011 - 16:22
JD
Account deleted
Well actually I felt like that 3 years ago, but if you ask me now, I'll say never.
16.10.2011 - 16:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Weird, maybe I am strange or something. But in the 32 years I have been listening to metal I never even once experienced that feeling.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2011 - 19:13
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2011 at 16:33

Weird, maybe I am strange or something. But in the 32 years I have been listening to metal I never even once experienced that feeling.

16.10.2011 - 19:18
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Not one bit.... the more l keep listening, the more i want to discover new... so basically its only accelerated progress for me
i hope metal has enuff surprises & treasures in its underground scenes....
17.10.2011 - 23:00
Frost Beast
Account deleted
No, it hasn't happened, but there were times when I looked but I didn't find what I want.
17.10.2011 - 23:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Mmm funny all those teean,gers here noe saying they will never desert metal. in the 32 years I have been into metal I have seen so many people leavel i am surre thatg of the teens here that within five to six years more than 70% will have left metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2011 - 23:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2011 at 23:21

Mmm funny all those teean,gers here noe saying they will never desert metal. in the 32 years I have been into metal I have seen so many people leavel i am surre thatg of the teens here that within five to six years more than 70% will have left metal.

Bad English, is that you? it's not good to hack other people's accounts
17.10.2011 - 23:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

dear god man... and you do english subtitles and translation? haha.

it's funny, because i expressed similar sentiment on a thread many years ago and lots of people said "no. no way. nu-huh". most were youngsters. i even recall some other staff disagreeing with me.

and lots of people have since disappeared. while some of it might be moving on from the site, i imagine a lot of it is just moving on from metal itself.

shit just changes as life goes on. interests change. some people will remain attached, but most will just move on.

as for myself, i did have a six-seven year period where i didn't bother with new shit and just kept listening to my old Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel disks when in a metal mood.. now i listen to a lot of non-metal as well to help avoid burning out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.10.2011 - 23:39
JD
Account deleted

Whos is youu? aer your dunk? K7?
17.10.2011 - 23:47
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.10.2011 at 23:39

wat is rong wit u? Cant sea you its Marcel?
18.10.2011 - 00:03
JD
Account deleted
Oh shit, Bad English hacked all the accounts on Metalstorm.
Written by Bad English on 08.03.2009 at 16:09

lol
18.10.2011 - 10:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Hahahaha I was sober as can be and can't even remember posting it, although those are my sentiments to the T. Probably has to do with posting from my phone.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 10:43
Slayer666
Ya, I'm definitely showing symptoms of metal fatigue. A lot of 'em.

I listen to more non-metal stuff than ever (about 30-40% of the stuff I listen to now have very little or nothing to do with metal), falling out of love with black metal which used to be my absolutely favorite subgenre, and overall I just don't get impressed nearly as much when listening to new stuff like I used to before.

It's funny because just a year ago, I couldn't picture myself listening to anything except metal.
18.10.2011 - 23:17
IronAngel
I definetely go through periods of not wanting to search for new music. And it's not just metal. Obviously I'm not always looking for new metal, because I need time to dive deep into dozens of different genres. But sometimes I have no desire to discover new bands from any style of music. I feel it's quite necessary to have such sabattical phases. Breadth without depth is just as meaningless as the opposite is restricted. I will spend some time looking for new bands and new musical styles left and right, but at some point one must step back, sit down and really get to know the music. I have yet to exhaust some of my favorite albums of all the musical revelations they have to offer, so it's important to go back to them and just listen. This goes for old favorites, but also the new bands I've recently discovered. It's not enough to play their discography once and then spin the best one a few times more, I need time to familiarize myself with them fully. Take the slowcore band Low, for example. I've known them for some years and been listening to them every now and then, but it's only in the last month that I really had time to focus on them and see them in a completely new light, as familiar and yet astonishingly deep.

It's kind of funny how many posters in this topic seem to idealize the wanton consumerism that characterises our music habits. Far be it from me to judge anyone for that consumerism, I'm guilty as hell myself. But I do think it's healthy to try to stop the flood from time to time, and get to know your friends a little better. I don't know about the rest of you, but from time to time I need to remind myself to listen. For someone who consumes music as much as I do, it's ironic that listening seems to be so hard.

As for metal in particular, and in response to Marcel's post: I got sick of metal specifically, several years ago. I barely listened to the albums I had, and wasn't at all interested in looking up new metal bands. First it was just a gradual waning of interest, but for a while I actually couldn't stand metal and metalheads. It had a little to do with the retardism I saw here on MS, too. I'm glad I went through that phase, because it made me realize that I wasn't a metalhead. My great love isn't metal, it's music. And with that realization, I've been able to enjoy metal with new-found enthusiasm and appreciation. I've been listening to metal for about a decade now (almost half of my life), and I think our relationship is finally on a stable and mature basis. It was symbiotic at first, then we had to break up to get some space, and now we can approach eachother respectfully, on our own terms.
19.10.2011 - 02:25
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I often long for the days when I was first getting into metal and everything seemed so extreme and outre compared to what I had been listening to before that. I don't really have that same passion anymore, I'm more about checking out as many bands as possible and buying as many records as my bank account allows. One thing that has come of this is that it now takes a lot for a band to surprise me usually, and now my old favorite aren't liked and hardly played as much. I still like them a lot, but for instance, my buying a new Opeth, Slayer, or Iron Maiden record won't get me as excited as it used to. One reason may be that when I was younger and just starting out with no mp3s, just my discman and a relatively small and slow-growing collection, I had a lot of time to listen to the few records that I had, so no matter what they sounded like, they didn't have to be the 'best' album, but they still became favorites of mine, and albums which I memorized every note and intricacy of. I haven't had that feeling for awhile, simply because I don't really dedicate as much time to any one album, songs, yes, but full albums, no.
19.10.2011 - 03:43
second_coming89
Account deleted
Well, me personally, I'm just the type of person who's very into expanding my horizons and experimenting. So I can't see myself ever being satisfied. It's become a "ritual" now ever Friday evening I drink liquor, search the web (and always manage to find new shit, from any music genre), and sometimes I'll light a spliff late in the night afterwards

I often wonder what it'd be like to no longer have anything to search for.....
19.10.2011 - 04:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 03:43
I often wonder what it'd be like to no longer have anything to search for.....

Impossible. Restrict heavy metal to any of its major subgenres (black, death, power, prog, whatever) and that alone will keep you busy enough on a yearly basis. Then you've got the entire metal spectrum, then the entire rock spectrum, then pop and ambient/noise/drone stuff and film scores and opera and symphonies and the massive realm of electronic music. You wouldn't even have enough time in your life to listen to every release at least once. And that's just music! Plus you need to sleep and have a life or whatever. >>
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.10.2011 - 04:33
Ghostdancer
For some odd reason it happens to me every year around July or August...maybe it's the excessive desert heat. Who knows? But after the break I really immerse myself in music...especially metal. It's like coming out of hibernation. You may just be burned out temporarily.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
19.10.2011 - 07:16
Guib
Thrash Talker

Why would they *Leave* metal like you say? Lol You mean completely stop listening to it ? -_- why would someone do such a thing !

And for the thread, well yeah it happens sometimes that I just wanna enjoy what I found properly, so usually for few months I stop searching and just listen none stop to the new things I found... but after a while, I go back searching for more Cycles I guess
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.10.2011 - 12:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
^ it happens all the time. To many metal and its culture are a fad, a temporary form of identity. I've known so many people that were once into metal and now are into indie and dress accordingly, usually when their friend's circles change. They jump ship basically.
19.10.2011 - 13:28
Yavanna
I don't think I had enough of anything, but lately I have been a little into folk music... I don't think I will ever leave metal, I have changed my favorite genres all the time, but what I liste the most is still metal
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
19.10.2011 - 13:32
arwestromen
I felt somthing similar to that about a year ago....I stoped looking for new metalbands cus I felt everything sounded either the same or similar to another band wich was pretty boring when you heard a new band because all I thought was "sounds just like that band" or " hey they ripped off that band"
but then something strange happend out of nowhere graveyard came along and now I thought " hey they sound kinda like those bands...but they are gooooooood" and now i'm back in my metal band searching mode again except now i'm searching more for the retro 1970's a la black sabbath, led zeppelin, blue cheer sound....like graveyard and horisont.
So stop looking for new music just let it come to you or perhaps your mind is tired of a specific genre and wants something completely new
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.10.2011 - 15:08
ANGEL REAPER
When a band describe their latest work as masterpiece...
and usually that album/song sucks...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.10.2011 - 16:18
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.10.2011 at 04:03

have a life

You confuse me. What is this you speak of?
19.10.2011 - 18:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
I haven't even listened to much music at all for the past six months.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.10.2011 - 20:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 19.10.2011 at 16:18
You confuse me. What is this you speak of?

It's this thing I used to have before I stumbled upon this site.

Don't worry, it's nothing important.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.10.2011 - 21:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Believe it or not, there is music beyond the realms of Metal. I don't think I'll ever lose the desire to search for more music, let alone Metal. There are times, such as right now, where my attention is drawn elsewhere in music. I'm currently really getting into IDM, Ambient, Breakcore, etc. in a way that I never have before. I find Electronic Music as fascinating as I do Metal. And Jazz, and Blues, and Classic/Alternative Country, and a number of other genres I have enjoyed while on leave from Metal. Of course, I still listen to Metal music when I'm binging on another genre (I listened to a bit of Nader Sadek earlier) so it's never completely gone. Plus, I think exploring other genres outside of Metal allows me to appreciate music on a much larger scale. I know becoming a Jazz aficionado (quote-unquote) has allowed me to appreciate bands like Cynic and Exivious in a way I never have before. I plan on loving Metal music for as long as I live.

----
The force will be with you, always.
19.10.2011 - 22:07
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 17.10.2011 at 23:39

B****cks! Has it ever come to anyone's mind why nobody has ever seen K7's face before? Why he always posts pictures of people who are not him. Why he sometimes randomly writes in better English and then all of a sudden writes in his particular language. Perhaps K7 and Marcel are the same person... perhaps it's not only Marcel impersonating K7 but there are even more people behind that...