Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

29.11.2008 - 21:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I hope I have money to go there someday

I'm getting Opeth's DVD so I can't really spend a lot of money on DVDs right now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.12.2008 - 07:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Ascendant187 on 29.11.2008 at 18:34

Written by BloodTears on 29.11.2008 at 17:39

Written by Ascendant187 on 29.11.2008 at 11:57

Written by BloodTears on 29.11.2008 at 10:45

It's a great DVD yes, Nevermore fans should get this.

And it's about time they release a new album, I'm sick of waiting here...

How great is the DVD? I seriously hummed and harred over getting it the last time I saw it. I ended up opting for something else (Therion's "Celebrators of Becoming").

It's a very good live performance in Germany (the 1st DVD) the crowd is insane and get's into it, the place is packed and the setlist is great.

And the 2nd DVD is interesting as well, especially the 4 songs in Wacken, it's just amazing to feel the spirit of that festival although the songs aren't different from what you have on the 1st DVD.

But it's totally worth it, if you ask me.

Hmmm. I just might get it. I'm trying to be somewhat responsible and save up at the moment (it's a serious chore but it's worth it in the long run).

I agree on the whole Wacken thing too. Seems like the place to be, as has been shown on other band's DVDs.

I just bought the DVD tonight! I am about five songs in. Really digging it. I've seen Nevermore twice in concert and was blown away the second time I saw them and really have gotten into their music. Thanks for recommending the DVD.
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2008 - 12:38
Ascendant187
Written by BloodTears on 29.11.2008 at 21:07

I'm getting Opeth's DVD so I can't really spend a lot of money on DVDs right now.

What's the Opeth DVD like? I've been eyeing off a lot of stuff lately (as it's Christmas). My ever awesome girlfriend got me Shining's "V: Halmstad" and Enslaved's "Isa" .

The more I see the Nevermore DVD in shops the more I want to buy it. It looks good and, by all accounts here, IS good.
17.12.2008 - 15:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Ascendant187 on 17.12.2008 at 12:38

What's the Opeth DVD like? I've been eyeing off a lot of stuff lately (as it's Christmas). My ever awesome girlfriend got me Shining's "V: Halmstad" and Enslaved's "Isa" .

The more I see the Nevermore DVD in shops the more I want to buy it. It looks good and, by all accounts here, IS good.

Opeth's DVD is very good. For fans of the band and people who are getting to know them I guess, because it has songs from all the albums. And they play the songs really well, as usua, good atmosphere.

So, I recommend it.
----

My Instagram
17.12.2008 - 16:08
Ascendant187
Written by BloodTears on 17.12.2008 at 15:16

Written by Ascendant187 on 17.12.2008 at 12:38

Opeth's DVD is very good. For fans of the band and people who are getting to know them I guess, because it has songs from all the albums. And they play the songs really well, as usua, good atmosphere.

So, I recommend it.

I picked up the CD of it and loved it. That's why I've been kind of slow to pick it up. Plus I've got their previous DVD, which is awesome.
17.12.2008 - 17:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Absolutely. And in comparison, this one is much better. Because you don't have a sort of break like the other one. Everything is in full speed, obviously according to Opeth's variations you have slow parts on the songs but it's a normal show pretty much.
----

My Instagram
18.12.2008 - 09:45
Ascendant187
Written by BloodTears on 17.12.2008 at 17:11

Absolutely. And in comparison, this one is much better. Because of don't have a sort of break like the other one. Everything is in full speed, obviously according to Opeth's variations you have slow parts on the songs but it's a normal show pretty much.

That's an interesting point to make. I haven't listened to the CD version in a while.

I think we might've hijacked this thread and turned it into an Opeth one lol.

Back to Nevermore - any news of the guys working on new material?
18.12.2008 - 10:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They are working on new material yes, they should release a new album in 2009.
----

My Instagram
18.12.2008 - 10:51
Ascendant187
Sounds good. I guess Warrell and Jeff will (hopefully) be on the same page, having got their side project stuff out of the way for now.
18.12.2008 - 12:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I hope it doesn't affect them. I mean, they've been improving everytime they release a new album so I'm expecting that now as well.
----

My Instagram
18.12.2008 - 15:02
Ascendant187
Definitely. Although I still love "Dreaming Neon Black" and "Dead Heart In A Dead World".
18.12.2008 - 17:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
New material is great news! I hope the new album will be well worth waiting for...making us wait four years and whatnot...
18.12.2008 - 19:57
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.12.2008 at 17:27

New material is great news! I hope the new album will be well worth waiting for...making us wait four years and whatnot...

At least their not pulling a Axl Rose on us...I hope.
----
(space for rent)
19.12.2008 - 00:00
megatherium
Account deleted
Ultimate Badassness. Nevermore is amazing.
20.12.2008 - 04:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wholly unaware that Jeff Loomis' solo album had been released until I came across it at the local FYE. I didn't grab it, but given it a listen now on his myspace I can simply say it oozes Jeff Loomis, obviously. Throw in some Warrel Dane and you have a new Nevermore album. This is only judging from the song "Jato Unit" that is up on his website though, so the rest may be grossly different. Has anyone heard the whole thing or anything else?
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.12.2008 - 08:50
Ascendant187
Written by Clintagräm on 20.12.2008 at 04:30

I was wholly unaware that Jeff Loomis' solo album had been released until I came across it at the local FYE. I didn't grab it, but given it a listen now on his myspace I can simply say it oozes Jeff Loomis, obviously. Throw in some Warrel Dane and you have a new Nevermore album. This is only judging from the song "Jato Unit" that is up on his website though, so the rest may be grossly different. Has anyone heard the whole thing or anything else?

I've got the album, yeah. It's really good but I wouldn't say it's entirely Nevermore. Others may disagree however.
07.02.2009 - 21:02
JeffWaters
Account deleted
I can't wait, anyway, I'm pretty well entertained, Warell's and Jeff's records, the DVD
Can't ask for more

m/ NEVERMORE m/
16.04.2009 - 02:59
thesabbathfan
I think its about time we get a new nevermore album
----
23.04.2009 - 22:32
GULCH OF ROT
Written by thesabbathfan on 16.04.2009 at 02:59

I think its about time we get a new nevermore album

nevermore rules the land
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
15.07.2009 - 04:37
Infurnace
I'll be seeing them live twice in a week of time. I'm just curious about the fact that there is only Loomis on guitars. Aren't they in search of a second guitarist?
15.07.2009 - 10:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Infurnace on 15.07.2009 at 04:37

I'll be seeing them live twice in a week of time. I'm just curious about the fact that there is only Loomis on guitars. Aren't they in search of a second guitarist?

Actually I wanted to know something about that as well. But I don't know if they are. I guess they should because when Loomis makes his solos it's kinda important to have the riff behind him. And not just that, it just makes for a full sound.
----

My Instagram
15.07.2009 - 19:55
Infurnace
Written by BloodTears on 15.07.2009 at 10:42

Written by Infurnace on 15.07.2009 at 04:37

Actually I wanted to know something about that as well. But I don't know if they are. I guess they should because when Loomis makes his solos it's kinda important to have the riff behind him. And not just that, it just makes for a full sound.

My thoughts exactly. Backing riffs behind the solos are really necessary, otherwise the sound will be really empty. Hopefully they'll find someone soon. Someone to back up on Loomis' solos.
20.09.2009 - 20:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fuck yeah Nevermore rules. some of the best lyrics in the history of metal combined with some of the most emotional and over the top vocalists ever, some of the catchiest and occasionally technical music i've ever heard and one of the best metal guitar players of our time, it's pretty much a winning combo. Jeff Loomis + Warrel Dane = one of the best guitar+vocal duets i've ever heard in my life.
20.09.2009 - 21:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 20.09.2009 at 20:08

Fuck yeah Nevermore rules. some of the best lyrics in the history of metal combined with some of the most emotional and over the top vocalists ever, some of the catchiest and occasionally technical music i've ever heard and one of the best metal guitar players of our time, it's pretty much a winning combo. Jeff Loomis + Warrel Dane = one of the best guitar+vocal duets i've ever heard in my life.

I didn't know you liked them.
----

My Instagram
20.09.2009 - 22:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 20.09.2009 at 21:47

now you do

20.09.2009 - 23:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 20.09.2009 at 22:06

now you do

That's logical! Which albums do you prefer?
----

My Instagram
20.09.2009 - 23:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 20.09.2009 at 23:10

now you do

i haven't listened to all their discography but i enjoy some stuff i heard from Dead Heart in a Dead World(particularly The River Dragon Has Come-great and epic intro with lyrics that make me remember times when floods were making the news here, mostly the lyrics "Today the warning came in the flood, Architects and fools never cared for poor men's blood" and The Heart Collector) though i did listen to them a bit before mostly stuff from their first album, i remember i loved the songs Timothy Leary and Garden of Grey, and of course their cover of Judas Priest's Love Bites.

there was a funny incident at Wacken, Dane at one point said "this next song is dedicated to all the beautiful ladies in the audience, fellas, if you have your girlfriend by your side show your affection during this song, it's a tender love ballad" (i was beginning to think WTF is he talking about), but then he shouted "the heart collector!".. lol
21.09.2009 - 15:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 20.09.2009 at 23:19

Written by BloodTears on 20.09.2009 at 23:10

now you do

i haven't listened to all their discography but i enjoy some stuff i heard from Dead Heart in a Dead World(particularly The River Dragon Has Come-great and epic intro with lyrics that make me remember times when floods were making the news here, mostly the lyrics "Today the warning came in the flood, Architects and fools never cared for poor men's blood" and The Heart Collector) though i did listen to them a bit before mostly stuff from their first album, i remember i loved the songs Timothy Leary and Garden of Grey, and of course their cover of Judas Priest's Love Bites.

there was a funny incident at Wacken, Dane at one point said "this next song is dedicated to all the beautiful ladies in the audience, fellas, if you have your girlfriend by your side show your affection during this song, it's a tender love ballad" (i was beginning to think WTF is he talking about), but then he shouted "the heart collector!".. lol

I think all their albums are interesting in a way, even if some of them like "nevermore" or dreaming neon black" aren't as consistent as the others, not so many amazing songs in those.

I really would love to see them live and I'm anticipating the new album but it worries me that they are a 4 piece now.
----

My Instagram
06.02.2010 - 13:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Any idea when the new album will come out? They say it's in February but nothing's happened so far, no pre-orders no nothing.
----

My Instagram
15.02.2010 - 23:29
MetalSpider
I hope something surfaces soon!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!