Metal Storm logo
Drums

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 15.07.2006 - 00:33
Talk about everything related to drums. Equipment, best drummers in the world, how long have you played, who are your main influences, and so on.
25.04.2007 - 00:54
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Yes yes you are very good
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
13.05.2007 - 15:20
Carrion
Account deleted
@ Savage Messiah, you're almost as confident as me
19.05.2007 - 04:37
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
@ Carrion, lol
@ anyone who cares, I AM ON NILE'S GUEST LIST FOR TONIGHTS SHOW IN AUCKLAND CITY AND I AM MEETING GEORGE KOLLIAS AND HE'S GOING TO TEACH ME SOME STUFF.
ahahaha this is unreal.
19.05.2007 - 20:39
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 19.05.2007 at 04:37

@ Carrion, lol
@ anyone who cares, I AM ON NILE'S GUEST LIST FOR TONIGHTS SHOW IN AUCKLAND CITY AND I AM MEETING GEORGE KOLLIAS AND HE'S GOING TO TEACH ME SOME STUFF.
ahahaha this is unreal.

Ok, please forgive me but sometimes i can't differentiate between sarcasm and being serious. Are you joking or is this for real?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
20.05.2007 - 09:00
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 19.05.2007 at 20:39

@ Carrion, lol
ahahaha this is unreal.

Ok, please forgive me but sometimes i can't differentiate between sarcasm and being serious. Are you joking or is this for real?

I swear on my life it fucking happened.
omg. seriously, coolest night of my life hahaha
shiiiiiit like, I seriously can't get over how cool that was.
hahaha I have drum lessons from George Kollias written on napkins...
22.05.2007 - 22:49
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 20.05.2007 at 09:00

@ Carrion, lol
ahahaha this is unreal.

So... what did he teach you? Gosh, do i have to drag it out of you?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
24.05.2007 - 10:10
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 22.05.2007 at 22:49

Written by Savage Messiah on 20.05.2007 at 09:00

@ Carrion, lol
ahahaha this is unreal.

So... what did he teach you? Gosh, do i have to drag it out of you?

He just showed me what he does with his feet and hands when he speeds up... umm and he showed me the Moeller technique that my drum teacher hadn't shown me before, umm and then he wrote some exercises out for me to practice the Moeller technique.
26.05.2007 - 20:49
Remus
Quote:
Quote:

He just showed me what he does with his feet and hands when he speeds up... umm and he showed me the Moeller technique that my drum teacher hadn't shown me before, umm and then he wrote some exercises out for me to practice the Moeller technique.

wow,the guy knows the moeller technique! i checked some vids of a guy demonstrating it and while it was amazing i didn't think u could incorporate it in metal. i thought it was just for marching bands... YOU are so lucky!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
27.05.2007 - 02:16
Markku
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Remus on 26.05.2007 at 20:49

wow,the guy knows the moeller technique! i checked some vids of a guy demonstrating it and while it was amazing i didn't think u could incorporate it in metal. i thought it was just for marching bands... YOU are so lucky!

I think almost anything can be incororated in metal.
27.05.2007 - 23:45
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 27.05.2007 at 02:16

Yeah he uses the Moeller technique or at least a version of it, to do his blast beats. (thats what he said anyway, personally I couldn't tell because his hands move so damn fast haha)
He's fully against using only your fingers to do fast blast beats, he said you need a mixture of fingers and wrists to do them really fast. (plus doing blast beats with your fingers looks fucking lame)
That applies to your feet too, George doesn't use the heel-toe technique because he says it's a waste of time. He uses a "swivel" technique (he didnt call it that, some guy on Youtube did) where he uses his ankles to go really fast, just as he uses his wrists. You probably already know this stuff, I'm just confirming it because there are so many people who go around on drum forums telling people how to do shit when they don't even know how.
Hehe he gave me a pair of his signature drum sticks too, not the ones he played with at the show but a pair he had actually saved for me... He's actually the nicest guy I have ever met, I hope you guys get to meet him oneday
28.05.2007 - 00:23
Carrion
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Savage Messiah on 27.05.2007 at 23:45

Written by Guest on 27.05.2007 at 02:16

Yeah he uses the Moeller technique or at least a version of it, to do his blast beats. (thats what he said anyway, personally I couldn't tell because his hands move so damn fast haha)
He's fully against using only your fingers to do fast blast beats, he said you need a mixture of fingers and wrists to do them really fast. (plus doing blast beats with your fingers looks fucking lame)
That applies to your feet too, George doesn't use the heel-toe technique because he says it's a waste of time. He uses a "swivel" technique (he didnt call it that, some guy on Youtube did) where he uses his ankles to go really fast, just as he uses his wrists. You probably already know this stuff, I'm just confirming it because there are so many people who go around on drum forums telling people how to do shit when they don't even know how.
Hehe he gave me a pair of his signature drum sticks too, not the ones he played with at the show but a pair he had actually saved for me... He's actually the nicest guy I have ever met, I hope you guys get to meet him oneday

I definetly agree on the blast beat thing.. Not only it looks lame when you do it only with fingers, but it also sounds lame! Wrists give the vital intensitivity for it. Sounds like you had some good and useful time with him
02.06.2007 - 17:28
Remus
Today i decided i was going to learn how to blast properly, maybe the above posts heightened my morale, and what do you know, i actually got it. Ok it's just one pattern:

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
S o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B ooooooooooooo

but i can do it quite well for a prolonged period of time.
Anyone else does the blast thing around here? What patterns do you use?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
02.06.2007 - 19:20
Markku
Account deleted
I usually played like this:

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x
S -o-o-o-o-o-o-
B o-o-o-o-o-o-o or
B ooooooooooo

But I never really learned to play the blaste beats correctly.

@Savage I mean't to ask about the Moeller in blastbeats thingy, as far I remember Moeller was all about one stroke and two bounces after it, triplets, hoe did he incorporate it into blast beats?
03.06.2007 - 10:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well, I recently had some grouchy neighbours move into the other side of the duplex I live in, and apparently they can hear my kit clear as a bell through the other side. So I went down to the music store to buy some silencer pads, and they were $100 for a set! which I found a rip off because I dont feel like paying $100 for 6 or 7 pieces of foamy rubber. Does anyone know of any cheap substitutes for silencer pads? or am I gonna have to pay through the nose down at the music store?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.06.2007 - 16:35
Remus
Written by Doc G. on 03.06.2007 at 10:04

Well, I recently had some grouchy neighbours move into the other side of the duplex I live in, and apparently they can hear my kit clear as a bell through the other side. So I went down to the music store to buy some silencer pads, and they were $100 for a set! which I found a rip off because I dont feel like paying $100 for 6 or 7 pieces of foamy rubber. Does anyone know of any cheap substitutes for silencer pads? or am I gonna have to pay through the nose down at the music store?

Weell, you can:

1. sound-proof your drum room, which will cost, i'm guessing, a bit more than $100,
2. you can take the cheap approach and cut out round pieces of cloth/fabric and somehow stick them on the drum heads! Note: this technique hasn't been tried before, it's totally experimental.
3. tell the neighbours to go fuck them selves! (my fav, i do it all the time)

Seriously, my neighbour told me he was gonna' call the pigs if i carried on playing. Did he really think i was gonna' stop drumming forever just cause it bothered him? I don't know what the legislation is in Canada but around here, you can arrange playing times with your neighbours (say everyday 5:00-6:30) and if you only play during those times the cops can't do nothing!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.06.2007 - 21:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Remus on 03.06.2007 at 16:35

Weell, you can:

1. sound-proof your drum room, which will cost, i'm guessing, a bit more than $100,
2. you can take the cheap approach and cut out round pieces of cloth/fabric and somehow stick them on the drum heads! Note: this technique hasn't been tried before, it's totally experimental.
3. tell the neighbours to go fuck them selves! (my fav, i do it all the time)

1. Weve tried sound proffing my room, didnt work, and like you said, to do a good job would cost more than $100
2. There isnt fabric thick enough....atleast none that Ive found (ive tried)
3. My mom is on my neighbours side.
----
- George Carlin
03.06.2007 - 22:04
Remus
^ Well then, i guess you're on your own buddy!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.06.2007 - 04:08
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 02.06.2007 at 17:28

Today i decided i was going to learn how to blast properly, maybe the above posts heightened my morale, and what do you know, i actually got it. Ok it's just one pattern:

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
S o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B ooooooooooooo

but i can do it quite well for a prolonged period of time.
Anyone else does the blast thing around here? What patterns do you use?

Written by Guest on 02.06.2007 at 19:20

@Savage I mean't to ask about the Moeller in blastbeats thingy, as far I remember Moeller was all about one stroke and two bounces after it, triplets, hoe did he incorporate it into blast beats?

@ Remus: Yeah I do that pattern too Lately though, I have been working on single kick blast beats (which I actually find harder to speed up) so like:

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
S o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B -o-o-o-o-o-o-o- or

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x
S -o-o-o-o-o-o-o
B o-o-o-o-o-o-o

So I change the hi hat around, to be on either the snare or the bass. (George Kollias is famous for being REALLY good at this) I like to make my blast beats sound more interesting aswell, by reaching up and playing cymbal patterns instead of the hihat, or reaching across and adding some tom beats too. Experimenting is fun

@ Markku: Well the Moeller technique is all about fitting more beats into a single stroke. So you get a downstroke (whipping motion), a tap, and an upstroke as you pull your wrist back up again. George uses this when he plays the snare drum by using that wrist motion, and adding in more "taps" on the snare between the downstroke and upstroke. It's really hard to explain online, that's why I got him to show me when he came to New Zealand
I found this video quite helpful before I met George though, this is Tony Royster explaining the Moeller technique. So if you can imagine this played faster, with possibly more "taps" in between, you can imagine what George does for blast beats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOiNRULxlb0
04.06.2007 - 04:22
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer

I keep my drum kit in this sleepout/flat/small house thing that is further down the hill from my house, so I don't have to worry about noise levels... However my parents wanted to paint the walls and stuff down there a while ago, so I moved my drum kit up into my room. Everyone complained at how freaking loud my kit was so I started to experiment with ways to soften the noise..
For the bass drum I put a pillow against the outer skin and then covered the bass drum in an extra duvet (bean bags and blankets work too)
For my toms I got various thick magazines (Modern drummer is about the right thickness) and then wrapped these in pillow cases and put them on my toms.
For my cymbals I had a really hard time trying to quieten them, in the end I cut holes through old magazines and hooked them over the bolt thing that joins the cymbals to the stand.
Yeah... this was really experimental and obviously only temporary. I suggest that maybe you try something similar to this, and save up for real pads?
(Another option that seems to be the done thing by a lot of people living in the city is to sell your drum kit, and buy an electronic one... there's no way in hell I would EVER do this, but you might want to consider it if you havent already)
04.06.2007 - 07:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Savage Messiah on 04.06.2007 at 04:22

I keep my drum kit in this sleepout/flat/small house thing that is further down the hill from my house, so I don't have to worry about noise levels... However my parents wanted to paint the walls and stuff down there a while ago, so I moved my drum kit up into my room. Everyone complained at how freaking loud my kit was so I started to experiment with ways to soften the noise..
For the bass drum I put a pillow against the outer skin and then covered the bass drum in an extra duvet (bean bags and blankets work too)
For my toms I got various thick magazines (Modern drummer is about the right thickness) and then wrapped these in pillow cases and put them on my toms.
For my cymbals I had a really hard time trying to quieten them, in the end I cut holes through old magazines and hooked them over the bolt thing that joins the cymbals to the stand.
Yeah... this was really experimental and obviously only temporary. I suggest that maybe you try something similar to this, and save up for real pads?
(Another option that seems to be the done thing by a lot of people living in the city is to sell your drum kit, and buy an electronic one... there's no way in hell I would EVER do this, but you might want to consider it if you havent already)

Those are great ideas! thanks alot. And no, I would never buy an electronic kit, when Im sitting behind my non electric kit I feel powerful, like Im sitting behind some heavy artillery...when I play electronic I feel like a big pussy.
----
- George Carlin
06.06.2007 - 21:08
Remus
Hey guys (en of course Savage Messiah), why don't you post pics of your sets in the "Pic Thread (Your instrument)"? I'm like the only one who posted a picture of drums there, the rest is just pics of guitars! C'mon man, we have to stick it to these guitarists en show them drummers totally rule! You with me?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
10.06.2007 - 07:44
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 06.06.2007 at 21:08

Hey guys (en of course Savage Messiah), why don't you post pics of your sets in the "Pic Thread (Your instrument)"? I'm like the only one who posted a picture of drums there, the rest is just pics of guitars! C'mon man, we have to stick it to these guitarists en show them drummers totally rule! You with me?

Yeah I'm with you, just gotta find a camera...
Nice kit btw
14.06.2007 - 09:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

I just did your magazine idea and its brilliant! works perfectly, my only complaint is the fact that I dont get good bounce from my skins(due to the magazine being there n all...) but I figure if I can get good at tom rolls with no bounce because of the magazines, as soon as I take them off Ill be able to do super fast rolls.

Anyways, now that Im getting my double bass work down, Ive chosen my first song that im going to learn with double bass is 'Pirate Song' by Running Wild, its really simple but its fun as shit.
----
- George Carlin
14.06.2007 - 11:11
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Doc G. on 14.06.2007 at 09:12

I just did your magazine idea and its brilliant! works perfectly, my only complaint is the fact that I dont get good bounce from my skins(due to the magazine being there n all...) but I figure if I can get good at tom rolls with no bounce because of the magazines, as soon as I take them off Ill be able to do super fast rolls.

Anyways, now that Im getting my double bass work down, Ive chosen my first song that im going to learn with double bass is 'Pirate Song' by Running Wild, its really simple but its fun as shit.

haha thats good, and it's also good about it being difficult to get the stick to bounce, heaps of pro drummers say that practising on soft surfaces is good for strength and building speed, some even practice on pillows.
(I find that boring because it doesn't make a sound lol)
29.06.2007 - 02:52
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by heresiarch on 25.04.2007 at 00:54

Written by Guest on 13.05.2007 at 15:20

Written by Remus on 02.06.2007 at 17:28

Written by Guest on 02.06.2007 at 19:20

If anyone's interested, I put up a topic for submitting drum tabs, check it out in the musician's corner.
16.07.2007 - 01:12
Remus
Hey, if you drummers wana get some cool lessons or dumming tips check out Mike Johnston on the youtube. This dude is amazing, and the best part about it is that he doesn't show off but rather explains things slowly so that amateurs can learn! Maybe some of you allready know about him. Here's a link to a fill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLR4vb2rhU

But try out the others, he mostly focuses on teaching fills but also addresses other issues such as bass drum speed.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
16.07.2007 - 12:13
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 16.07.2007 at 01:12

Hey, if you drummers wana get some cool lessons or dumming tips check out Mike Johnston on the youtube. This dude is amazing, and the best part about it is that he doesn't show off but rather explains things slowly so that amateurs can learn! Maybe some of you allready know about him. Here's a link to a fill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLR4vb2rhU

But try out the others, he mostly focuses on teaching fills but also addresses other issues such as bass drum speed.

Sweet link, thanks man
02.09.2007 - 11:56
Remus
Ok, so i need to get new drum heads soon - what do you people recommend? Remo would be the obvious choice, right? But what about those Aquarian ones, anyone ever try those? Any other brands i should consider?

P.S
I seriously think that miss Messiah and i are the only two drummers left here , why are the drum threads dying out?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.09.2007 - 05:52
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 02.09.2007 at 11:56

Ok, so i need to get new drum heads soon - what do you people recommend? Remo would be the obvious choice, right? But what about those Aquarian ones, anyone ever try those? Any other brands i should consider?

P.S
I seriously think that miss Messiah and i are the only two drummers left here , why are the drum threads dying out?

Shit I know ay, it's like all the ms drummers just vanished or something...
About the skins - my drum teacher swears by Aquarian, and he was quite disappointed when I bought a Remo snare skin... I know a lot of Pro drummers use Remo but I'm starting to think that's only because they're sponsored by Remo.
I vote try Aquarian out my teacher reckons they have a much nicer sound.
04.09.2007 - 20:49
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 03.09.2007 at 05:52

Written by Remus on 02.09.2007 at 11:56

P.S

Shit I know ay, it's like all the ms drummers just vanished or something...
About the skins - my drum teacher swears by Aquarian, and he was quite disappointed when I bought a Remo snare skin... I know a lot of Pro drummers use Remo but I'm starting to think that's only because they're sponsored by Remo.
I vote try Aquarian out my teacher reckons they have a much nicer sound.

I play with Evan's Hydraulics, or Remo Pinstripes, on my toms, and an Evan's st dry on my snare (I think that's it, I'm talking about the one with little pin holes around the edge) and I have Aquarians on my bass heads. Hydraulics are my favorite for the toms, cause they've got two plies with oil in between that gives it a good thump. It leaves less need for artificial muffling.

Does anyone have a set of Iron Cobra bass pedals that they'd like to give a little feedback about? I'm thinking about buying a better double bass pedal, and I'm deciding between that or the Twin Jr.