Metal Storm logo
Drums

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 15.07.2006 - 00:33
Talk about everything related to drums. Equipment, best drummers in the world, how long have you played, who are your main influences, and so on.
04.12.2006 - 00:42
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
I am playing on drums 3 years and I know one thing: to keep practice!
If someone have talent and predispositions for being good drummer then only practice can developed and proceed it. Everything else has no matter...
06.12.2006 - 09:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I just started drumming not long ago (as previously stated). and I wanted to know from some more practiced drummers what types of sticks they use. Ive gone through quite a few pairs and found I like Vic Firth Sd1-v (I believe its v) with vinyl tip (the marching drum type sticks). I like them cus there pretty heavy and the vinyl tip gives me good bounce for blast beats. so like I said, what types of sticks do people use and why?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.12.2006 - 11:38
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
It's hard to say... I have based my experience only upon my sound-taste... I can't give You any useful facts.
I like "cold" sound...
Also I can't even say that brand of drums means much to me.
Drumming is the most important thing...
11.12.2006 - 10:10
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Doc G. on 06.12.2006 at 09:54

I just started drumming not long ago (as previously stated). and I wanted to know from some more practiced drummers what types of sticks they use. Ive gone through quite a few pairs and found I like Vic Firth Sd1-v (I believe its v) with vinyl tip (the marching drum type sticks). I like them cus there pretty heavy and the vinyl tip gives me good bounce for blast beats. so like I said, what types of sticks do people use and why?

I use Vater sticks, the model i have are quite wide towards the tip, so its a really strong stick and the nylon tips give it awesome bounce for blast beats. i use the 5A size because i dont have large manly hands haha
I tried out Vic firth ones and tempesta ones and a whole lot of random sticks too but i preferred the feel of the Vater ones
03.01.2007 - 08:28
DistortedVisual
Account deleted
i've been playing for almost 11 years, but only on drumset for about 6. And i've become a fan of Ahead. all i use now are Ahead Joey 1's, or Ahead Spugs. they're made of metal instead of wood, so they can take more a beating, and they get excellent bounce, even though they're really light. they're also wrapped in nylon or something, so they have really good grip. but you should look around, but try some ahead's.
04.01.2007 - 04:03
sixpounder
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 11.12.2006 at 10:10

Written by Doc G. on 06.12.2006 at 09:54

I use Vater sticks, the model i have are quite wide towards the tip, so its a really strong stick and the nylon tips give it awesome bounce for blast beats. i use the 5A size because i dont have large manly hands haha
I tried out Vic firth ones and tempesta ones and a whole lot of random sticks too but i preferred the feel of the Vater ones

I use joey jordison signature ahead sticks and los cabos hickory sticks with wood tips. I think a pretty sweet trick is to practice with ahead sticks because there a bit heavier then wood then after using those for a while then switch to a wood set or something lighter and you can get a huge boost of speed and control.
01.02.2007 - 00:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Simple question here; whats the proper way of doing blast beats, I can do blast beats but not for very long and im wondering if theres any trick to it?
----
- George Carlin
01.02.2007 - 04:36
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Doc G. on 01.02.2007 at 00:13

Simple question here; whats the proper way of doing blast beats, I can do blast beats but not for very long and im wondering if theres any trick to it?

Yeah I also have the same problem... though mine probably comes down to strength... how long can you go for?
And do you do blast beats open handed or with your left hand on the snare?
01.02.2007 - 06:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Savage Messiah on 01.02.2007 at 04:36

Yeah I also have the same problem... though mine probably comes down to strength... how long can you go for?

Close handed with my right hand, I can go for about 35 seconds flat.
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2007 - 07:30
Asat0r
I'm having a trouble keeping good rythm and speed on the double bass. Any tips for improving myself there?
02.02.2007 - 09:38
Markku
Account deleted
Try playing rudiments with your feet, and do it heel down which will greatly improve your heel up playing.
11.02.2007 - 21:00
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 01.02.2007 at 04:36

Actually, good blasters (ok, i'm not one of them but hey...) use their wrists en really good ones use their fingers so strength isn't that important. As for what hand to use, well, there are quite a lot of types of blasts and they can be done with either hand.

But, if you use your right hand on the snare and your left hand on the hi-hats, then quickly switch to using your right hand on the ride and left hand on the snare, that makes you look super-cool and experienced !
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
11.02.2007 - 23:24
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: Blast beats follow a 1 + pattern. The 1 beat is performed on the hit-hat or cymbal/bass drum with a left hand coordination, obviously keeping the drumstick loosly in the pocket between your thumb and index finger while the + beat is performed on the snare with a fast flip of the drumstick, also loosly in the pocket between your thumb and index finger.

I used to do it the stupid way, just playing a 1 2 3 4 pattern, playing the hi-hat or cymbal/bass drum with the left and snare with the right at once, but I learned better.
12.02.2007 - 01:53
Remus
Written by Guest on 11.02.2007 at 23:24

@Dr. Rock: Blast beats follow a 1 + pattern. The 1 beat is performed on the hit-hat or cymbal/bass drum with a left hand coordination, obviously keeping the drumstick loosly in the pocket between your thumb and index finger while the + beat is performed on the snare with a fast flip of the drumstick, also loosly in the pocket between your thumb and index finger.

I used to do it the stupid way, just playing a 1 2 3 4 pattern, playing the hi-hat or cymbal/bass drum with the left and snare with the right at once, but I learned better.

If i understand your post correctly then both ways you played are right.

e.g 1 (your 1 + way) the black metal blast beat of choice

H x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-x-|
S --o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--|
B o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o|

e.g. 2 (all at once way) the death metal blast beat of choice

H x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x|
S o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o|

but guess what, there's a lot more types which include twin bass-drum work but i guess the above mentioned two are the most common.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
12.02.2007 - 09:53
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 12.02.2007 at 01:53

Written by Guest on 11.02.2007 at 23:24

If i understand your post correctly then both ways you played are right.

e.g 1 (your 1 + way) the black metal blast beat of choice

H x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-x-|
S --o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--|

e.g. 2 (all at once way) the death metal blast beat of choice

H x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x|
S o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o|

but guess what, there's a lot more types which include twin bass-drum work but i guess the above mentioned two are the most common.

Yeah I like to play this pattern:

H x x x x x x x x
S o o o o o o o o
B oooooooooooooooo

(bass is in 32's)

But yeah that doesnt mean I stick to that, I mix it up heaps, but as I said before my weakness is strength, and while you may come back at me with "wrist technique" shit, it is "blast beats" not "lightly-tapping-the-snare-drum-but-its-really-fast-beats".
So yeah, I'm going for power.
My aim is to be able to play in a similar style to that of Nile's drummer, and lol, find me just ONE female drummer who can play like that. I swear that female does not exist. - Yet.
14.02.2007 - 19:34
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 12.02.2007 at 09:53

Yeah I like to play this pattern:

H x x x x x x x x
S o o o o o o o o
B oooooooooooooooo

(bass is in 32's)

But yeah that doesnt mean I stick to that, I mix it up heaps, but as I said before my weakness is strength, and while you may come back at me with "wrist technique" shit, it is "blast beats" not "lightly-tapping-the-snare-drum-but-its-really-fast-beats".
So yeah, I'm going for power.
My aim is to be able to play in a similar style to that of Nile's drummer, and lol, find me just ONE female drummer who can play like that. I swear that female does not exist. - Yet.

I downloaded an Astarte video a while ago and the drums were freaking excellent! I later found out that it's a guy playing drums for them : . The most "extreme" female drummer i konw of is Kittie's drummer, and no offense but she's not that extreme.

But yeah, good luck to you! Maybe you should start working out to fix the "lack of power" issue you have ( you might look a bit less feminine but hey )
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
15.02.2007 - 14:57
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 14.02.2007 at 19:34

I downloaded an Astarte video a while ago and the drums were freaking excellent! I later found out that it's a guy playing drums for them : . The most "extreme" female drummer i konw of is Kittie's drummer, and no offense but she's not that extreme.

There's an estonian ultra-brutal DM band(only bass and drums) with a female drummer who replaced the previous drummer. And I think she plays with a single pedal. I'll post a link if they record some songs with her playing.
15.02.2007 - 21:15
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Guest on 15.02.2007 at 14:57

Written by Remus on 14.02.2007 at 19:34

There's an estonian ultra-brutal DM band(only bass and drums) with a female drummer who replaced the previous drummer. And I think she plays with a single pedal. I'll post a link if they record some songs with her playing.

oooh thanks! could you please please please find out what the band is called?
16.02.2007 - 19:46
Markku
Account deleted
Yeah, forgot to mention it. It's called Neandertals

Here's a useful link http://www.estonianmetal.com/bands.php?id=167
There are some new songs I haven't heard, I'm guessing she is playing there, can't be 100% sure, though
27.02.2007 - 01:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
ok, well i think im starting to get the open handed blast beat thing goin pretty good, now i need tips on double bass, any tips whatsoever would be great.
----
- George Carlin
12.03.2007 - 19:48
Nusk
I play with vater 5a sticks and i have very tiny hands but it is not a problem for me. It is a little bit clumsy
10.04.2007 - 08:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So I recently learned the Motorhead song 'I Wont Pay Your Price' and im quite proud of myself. It didnt take to long and its fun being able to play along with your favorite band. I know its not a very complex song but im proud nonetheless.
----
- George Carlin
13.04.2007 - 06:41
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Doc G. on 10.04.2007 at 08:48

So I recently learned the Motorhead song 'I Wont Pay Your Price' and im quite proud of myself. It didnt take to long and its fun being able to play along with your favorite band. I know its not a very complex song but im proud nonetheless.

Nice one
I'm learning We Will Rise by Arch Enemy and Raining Blood by Slayer...
I'm almost there
13.04.2007 - 09:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Savage Messiah on 13.04.2007 at 06:41

Nice one
I'm almost there

wow....that just puts me to shame. Oh well, im starting to learn 'Am I Demon' by Danzig, Chuck Biscuits is definitly my hero, and look how much fun he appears to having playing it in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeUKRgsRIc
I wanna be able to play like that, so much stage presence for a drummer. Same goes with the video for 'She Rides'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-W0_cv85E
----
- George Carlin
13.04.2007 - 12:37
Alex Smith
Very good video. The music is great and girl's fine...
15.04.2007 - 11:49
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Doc G. on 13.04.2007 at 09:33

Nice one
I'm almost there

wow....that just puts me to shame. Oh well, im starting to learn 'Am I Demon' by Danzig, Chuck Biscuits is definitly my hero, and look how much fun he appears to having playing it in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeUKRgsRIc
I wanna be able to play like that, so much stage presence for a drummer. Same goes with the video for 'She Rides'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-W0_cv85E

lol aaw im sorry i didnt mean to "put you to shame"
i watched the videos though, thats some cool stuff
good luck workin on that
16.04.2007 - 20:59
Remus

I'm almost there

For the Arch Enemy song, did you use tabs? Also, do you play the double-bass intro using the heel-up technique? When i learned that song i really battled with the ride-work from 03:13 to 03:28 - you know, it's hard to keep the double-bass constant and play an alternate rhythm on the cymbals. How did u find that part of the song?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
18.04.2007 - 13:05
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 16.04.2007 at 20:59

I'm almost there

For the Arch Enemy song, did you use tabs? Also, do you play the double-bass intro using the heel-up technique? When i learned that song i really battled with the ride-work from 03:13 to 03:28 - you know, it's hard to keep the double-bass constant and play an alternate rhythm on the cymbals. How did u find that part of the song?

Yeap I used a tab but only as a guide, I always find stuff in the song that isn't on the tab.
I always play heel up for double kick, and I didn't struggle too badly with the cymbal pattern, mainly because I had already learnt a similar pattern from my drum teacher. I find it easier to refer to patterns I already know, then go from there.
24.04.2007 - 01:08
heresiarch
Forever Dead
@Savage Messiah - check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ytZdYdcQ20

Not bad she is 13 years young
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
24.04.2007 - 01:49
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by heresiarch on 24.04.2007 at 01:08

@Savage Messiah - check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ytZdYdcQ20

Not bad she is 13 years young

hehe nice video... looks kind of like me warming up...
hmm except her feet work is really boring.. oh well, good for 13 though