Metal Storm logo
The Awesome Beer Thread

Original post

Posted by Deadmeat, 28.05.2009 - 16:38
After making a poll with having only 8 possible choices I decided that it would be better to have a Beer topic. So, tell us what's your favorite beer, why it is and give us all the necessary information about it so that we can try it when we have the chance.

So, keep on the discussion about this great drink called Beer!

As for me, I've already wrote it: Erdinger (i don't know much about it's short etc) is the best. It is a beer that kneeds in your bottle and it tastes great!
04.08.2014 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 04.08.2014 at 14:06

Written by Bad English on 03.08.2014 at 00:44

Duvel Tripel Hop 2014 9,2%

Good IPA if we can say so, good awesome head and sound when you fill this beer in the glass, balanced, hoopy, bitter taste , decent IPA; better as standard version of Duvel, , good smell, I love hops. Same time more you drink beer, less and less you can describe it

This is not an IPA. This is a belgian ale, brewed with three different types of hops, then refermented in the bottle. It's hoppy, but not an IPA. I think this one is a bit boring. Nice bitterness in the aftertaste, but I prefer the standard Duvel (which contains two types of hops).

If you like IPA, you should try the norwegian Kinn Vestkyst India Pale Ale, Nøgne Ø Two Captains (Douple IPA), and Wild Beer Madness IPA. Really hoppy, with a nice zesty bitterness to them. My top three in that category.

I should mention that I really like the Oppigård Thurbo DIPA too. I always buy it when I'm visiting sweden.

I had a BrewDog Heaven Hill a couple of weeks ago. Best Imperial Stout ever! Matured on bourbon casks. Sweet vanilla/caramel notes, with a good dose of coffee. You should try it if you have the chance.

nowadays ppl think all are IPAs whit more hopps into it,.. those Norge beer ?? I wish I can try
Brew Dog I drink some draft IPA (one hop IMO) in the Bishops damn awesome
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.08.2014 - 14:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by toxx on 04.08.2014 at 14:06

Written by Bad English on 03.08.2014 at 00:44

Duvel Tripel Hop 2014 9,2%

Good IPA if we can say so, good awesome head and sound when you fill this beer in the glass, balanced, hoopy, bitter taste , decent IPA; better as standard version of Duvel, , good smell, I love hops. Same time more you drink beer, less and less you can describe it

This is not an IPA. This is a belgian ale, brewed with three different types of hops, then refermented in the bottle. It's hoppy, but not an IPA. I think this one is a bit boring. Nice bitterness in the aftertaste, but I prefer the standard Duvel (which contains two types of hops).

If you like IPA, you should try the norwegian Kinn Vestkyst India Pale Ale, Nøgne Ø Two Captains (Douple IPA), and Wild Beer Madness IPA. Really hoppy, with a nice zesty bitterness to them. My top three in that category.

I should mention that I really like the Oppigård Thurbo DIPA too. I always buy it when I'm visiting sweden.

I had a BrewDog Heaven Hill a couple of weeks ago. Best Imperial Stout ever! Matured on bourbon casks. Sweet vanilla/caramel notes, with a good dose of coffee. You should try it if you have the chance.

The Duvel Tripel Hop actually is an IPA, although Belgian IPA.
Standard Duvel is crap nowadays, when you buy it on bottle you have to at least keep it for another year to get it up to taste.
As for Duvel Tripel Hop being boring or not it depends on which version you get, since every year the third hop is different. The basis is the same two hops as used in the standard Duvel and then they vary the third hop each year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2014 - 14:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2014 at 14:19

Standard Duvel is crap nowadays, when you buy it on bottle you have to at least keep it for another year to get it up to taste.
As for Duvel Tripel Hop being boring or not it depends on which version you get, since every year the third hop is different. The basis is the same two hops as used in the standard Duvel and then they vary the third hop each year.

I have tryd standard Duvel once in the bottle, once in the pub, better as Stella A and other shit beer, good mainstream beer if you need to choose, but TH I have only tryd this years version ...I think it was OK beer to drink
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2014 - 14:32
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Bad English on 04.08.2014 at 14:16

nowadays ppl think all are IPAs whit more hopps into it,.. those Norge beer ?? I wish I can try

The first two I mentionet are Norwegian, and the last one is british, I think.
04.08.2014 - 14:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 04.08.2014 at 14:32

Written by Bad English on 04.08.2014 at 14:16

The first two I mentionet are Norwegian, and the last one is british, I think.

BrewDog is from Glasgow IMO
Opigårds IPA is good, I tryd (read my post in july) ... but I like their stot
porters and stouts are my fav beers, IPA's is getting ovaretd it means quality can go down, same time its good beer I like such style, easy to describe, bitter and hoppy
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2014 - 14:38
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2014 at 14:19

Really? Doesn't taste or look like an IPA though. But I guess you're right. Is the standard Duvel categorized as Belgian Pale Ale then?

Well, I admit my mistakes, and apologize

I prefer Chimay and Leffe when it comes to "standard" Belgian types, although Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren cannot be matched
04.08.2014 - 14:40
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Bad English on 04.08.2014 at 14:35

BrewDog is from Glasgow IMO
Opigårds IPA is good, I tryd (read my post in july) ... but I like their stot
porters and stouts are my fav beers, IPA's is getting ovaretd it means quality can go down, same time its good beer I like such style, easy to describe, bitter and hoppy

Yup, BrewDog is Scottish, but i meant the Wild Beer Madness IPA
04.08.2014 - 14:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yes its BPA , standart
Leffe Brune but limited versions, seasonal I wish to try
I don't consider Chimay and Rochefort standart ... its close but long way to go ... I think ppl will always chose pale ale as darker colored Chomay blue
IPA's is good if its made for smaller market not mainstream ----
Guinness overated , beamish underated... but I can buy Guinness and killkaney if I should choose to ignore Carlsberg and Heineken and some lager ... better those
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2014 - 14:51
toxx
Supreme being
Had a Westvleteren 12 this summer as well. Would like to try it again, but hard to get a hold of. Damn good Belgian!
04.08.2014 - 15:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by toxx on 04.08.2014 at 14:38

Really? Doesn't taste or look like an IPA though. But I guess you're right. Is the standard Duvel categorized as Belgian Pale Ale then?

Duvel is indeed a Belgian Pale Ale.
Belgian Ale as such is not a style since it encompasses all Belgian beertypes (so also kriek, geueze)

Quote:

I prefer Chimay and Leffe when it comes to "standard" Belgian types, although Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren cannot be matched

I find all Leffes to be inferior beers. As foir Chimay I prefer their Blue.
Rochefort 10 is easily matched by Rochefort 8 which is imo a superior beer.
All Westvleteren beers are easily matched by all St. Bernardus beers.
Westvleteren beers are the single most overrated beers in the world. Westvleteren 12 being voted best beer in the world for quite a few years is one of the reaosns I cannot take a site such as ratebeer seriously. I am of the opinion that WV 12 gets such high votes is due to its exclusivety and high alcohol. A way better and vastly more interesting beer gets shitty votes on ratebeer due to it being only of 6.2%
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2014 - 15:38
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2014 at 15:18

I find all Leffes to be inferior beers. As foir Chimay I prefer their Blue.
Rochefort 10 is easily matched by Rochefort 8 which is imo a superior beer.
All Westvleteren beers are easily matched by all St. Bernardus beers.
Westvleteren beers are the single most overrated beers in the world. Westvleteren 12 being voted best beer in the world for quite a few years is one of the reaosns I cannot take a site such as ratebeer seriously. I am of the opinion that WV 12 gets such high votes is due to its exclusivety and high alcohol. A way better and vastly more interesting beer gets shitty votes on ratebeer due to it being only of 6.2%

St. Bernardus, eh? Need to try that one! Don't know if I can find it here in Norway though. Rochefort 8 is quite easy to get a hold of here. One of the belgian types I have bought the most. Geuze is also quite interesting. I'm the only one among my group of "beer friends" that likes it
05.08.2014 - 15:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
St. bernadus is awesome, I tryd 12 % IMO in the pub well in storesd it can cost sek 30 , in the pub sek 110 --- I was shoked
----

apos;'
[image]
05.08.2014 - 15:56
Leni
I'm just from alco-beer-vacation from Czech Republic) Staropramen (wheat), Master, Matushka are awesome!
05.08.2014 - 16:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Leni on 05.08.2014 at 15:56

I'm just from alco-beer-vacation from Czech Republic) Staropramen (wheat), Master, Matushka are awesome!

I read one bloog about C beer guy who lives there said, real good Cz beer is hard tro get even in Praha are-4 places where are small and best cz beer
----

apos;'
[image]
05.08.2014 - 19:27
Leni
Written by Bad English on 05.08.2014 at 16:42

Written by Leni on 05.08.2014 at 15:56

I read one bloog about C beer guy who lives there said, real good Cz beer is hard tro get even in Praha are-4 places where are small and best cz beer

i guess, he's right, cause is Prague most places are very touristic. we were in 3 rock pubs, and in 2 quite curious places (not in the centre) without tourists and with good beer choice.
14.08.2014 - 09:27
toxx
Supreme being
Had a Lervig White Dog yesterday. Belgian style Witbier. Kind of bitter, and lacking in fruitiness.

BTW! If anyone needs to keep track of what they are drinking, I recommend an app called "Untappd". I use it. Simple and good way to keep track, giving the beer a score (from 0-5 stars) and write down some tasting notes. You can also add your friends to see what they are drinking as well.
16.08.2014 - 02:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Tried a variety of beer apps, just gave up. most annoyed me. far too difficult to find a beer or brewery (search by state, then alpha? why not jsut search) or one that scored you points for beers... only it was centric to certain beers (dogfishhead) while particularly rare Deschutes or Odells just didn't score over an IPA or Pale Ale you could find at the supermarket.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.08.2014 - 15:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2014 at 02:48

Tried a variety of beer apps, just gave up. most annoyed me. far too difficult to find a beer or brewery (search by state, then alpha? why not jsut search) or one that scored you points for beers... only it was centric to certain beers (dogfishhead) while particularly rare Deschutes or Odells just didn't score over an IPA or Pale Ale you could find at the supermarket.

How is whit beer in Asuncion comparing to Arizona
----

apos;'
[image]
16.08.2014 - 23:45
JD
Account deleted
Other than Beck's and Hemelinger I'm recently into Staro it really has a wonderful teast

17.08.2014 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.08.2014 at 23:45

Other than Beck's and Hemelinger I'm recently into Staro it really has a wonderful teast

then you need to learn a lot ....
----

apos;'
[image]
17.08.2014 - 00:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Bad English on 16.08.2014 at 15:23

In a word?

Crap.

Best I can do here is either German beers like Hacker-Pschorr or Bitburger, or Fullers from the UK. Some also-rans including Estrella, and some Italian beers, and Oranjeboom, the Dutch beer so bad they don't even drink it in the Netherlands.

No one has any clue what a "hop" is nor how to hop up a beer.

But if you like watery lagers, you can get a liter of Brahma for about $2.25 US. So it's college "quantity = quality" all over again.

As for beer in Arizona, if you read prior posts on this thread you coulda/woulda/shoulda clicked my link to BevMo and see the monstrous amount of options, foreign and domestic, open to me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.08.2014 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 17.08.2014 at 00:33

Written by Bad English on 16.08.2014 at 15:23

In a word?

Crap.

Best I can do here is either German beers like Hacker-Pschorr or Bitburger, or Fullers from the UK. Some also-rans including Estrella, and some Italian beers, and Oranjeboom, the Dutch beer so bad they don't even drink it in the Netherlands.

No one has any clue what a "hop" is nor how to hop up a beer.

But if you like watery lagers, you can get a liter of Brahma for about $2.25 US. So it's college "quantity = quality" all over again.

As for beer in Arizona, if you read prior posts on this thread you coulda/woulda/shoulda clicked my link to BevMo and see the monstrous amount of options, foreign and domestic, open to me.

somehow I thought it can be so bad... Fullers is OK, Fullers Old Winter Ale and London porter are good if you need chose from lagers and pilseners ... poor you I feel little sorry about you, that you cant have a good beer there ;(
----

apos;'
[image]
17.08.2014 - 01:13
JD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 00:31

Teach me PLS
17.08.2014 - 01:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 01:13

Written by Bad English on 17.08.2014 at 00:31

Teach me PLS

read this tread from a to z

You're in Ger wright ... go to each region try many beers
from hefe weizen, dunjel weizen, bock biers, winter bocks, kölsh, keller biers, rauchbiers in Bamberg, altbiers, märzen special maj bocks, all Oktoberfest (can get similar in some village fest ) ---- you will forgot about lager and pilsener.... but I warn you you wont like many from those, at 1th time... taste be weird ... but you need get use to it ....
about lager, dunkel and schwarzbier can be good, since is close to lager, well mainly black lager
----

apos;'
[image]
17.08.2014 - 01:27
JD
Account deleted
@K7: I see where you're going, but le me tell ya that I tried a lot of German beers and still trying new stuff usually in bars, but it's too hard for me to remember all these German beer names(and not intrested) since I'm forgin and still learning the language. And my city Bremen is famous of manufacturing Beck's so 70% of the time I drink it
17.08.2014 - 01:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 01:27

@K7: I see where you're going, but le me tell ya that I tried a lot of German beers and still trying new stuff usually in bars, but it's too hard for me to remember all these German beer names(and not intrested) since I'm forgin and still learning the language. And my city Bremen is famous of manufacturing Beck's so 70% of the time I drink it

I cant remember also what I have tryd but you should try diferent styles ... go to Holland or US , and Britain as well...
----

apos;'
[image]
21.08.2014 - 08:23
toxx
Supreme being
Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2014 at 02:48

I recommend Untappd. You'll find most beers there by just searching the name. If it's not there, you can add it yourself. The database is quite extensive. If you search a beer, you'll also see the average rating it has. You can also search for breweries. You can check in and rate a beer in just seconds if you want.

I've tried a few beer apps, but this one is by far the best one I have used.
20.09.2014 - 13:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So bought 2X 4 Oktoberfest 2 bottles from each what is available here
Spaten, Paulaner, Höfbrau and Lowenbrau ... seems Hacker-Pschorr-Bräu is available in only some place sin the Sweden but Augustiner-Bräu not at all
Well I have heard there are other similar village events in the Bayern where they made and serve similar type Märzen Special?
same as I heard they made in 80's beer lighter to sell to mainstream ppl who don't know much about beer and also screw up prises
Well beer is batter as piss lager made from those braveries (dunkel is extreme underated, hefe weizen, dunkel , not shore all made it) , but still good beer buy at this time, but this will be more less not other years I bought super huge bottle collations
----

apos;'
[image]
10.10.2014 - 15:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried Mariestad Dunkel
Well nothing special , same as other this beer, I have tried better German dunkel , and schwarcbeirs even Latvian are better
only color was more less dunkel.. but if mainstream Swedish bar would have this as ordinary beers I wouk buy it, darker stands higher as lighter (unless its pale ale even modern one)
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2014 - 11:30
Esgeea
Although I think it shouldn't even be named "beer", Guinness is by far my favourite. Especially when I drank it in Ireland... I wanted to buy other local beers but I simply couldn't because every single time my brain was saying "Guinness" ) Luckly I had friends that let me taste their beers )