Release date: September 2009

01. All Shall Fall
02. The Rise Of Darkness
03. Hordes To War
04. Norden On Fire
05. Arctic Swarm
06. Mount North
07. Unearthly Kingdom

Immortal have risen from the white ashes to reclaim their throne as kings of black metal. Not many bands have been as important to a genre of music than Immortal have been to black metal over the years. Now the band are back with their first album in seven years, All Shall Fall.

The album carries on exactly where Sons Of Northern Darkness finished. Stylistically All Shall Fall is extremely similar, the guitars are very melodic and as a whole the album stays at the same familiar pressing pace without going overboard. The frostbitten trio show no signs of cobwebs, but there is also no apparent attempt to create something truly spectacular. All Shall Fall, although a brilliant come-back album, is a bit too steady and safe to be hailed as one of the band's greatest works.

Seven years is an extremely long time and it is perhaps unrealistic to have expected anything to the standard of At The Heart Of Winter or any of the band's other classics. All Shall Fall almost seems like the band are just firing up the engine, and it is the future we have to wait for to experience Immortal at their most devastating. With this said, All Shall Fall is still a remarkably enjoyable album to listen to and is very much an album suited for the times.

The opening title track sounds like the soundtrack to a bleak and icy armageddon and "The Rise Of Darkness" follows bringing forth the rhythmic march of the northern tyrants. Melodic plodder "Norden On Fire" brings down the pace, but "Arctic Swarm" soon whips up another blizzard being the most forceful and unrelenting storm on the album.

Immortal have all eyes on them, and to avoid the risk of disappointment have released an extremely solid and safe album that may just underwhelm a few people. For the rest of us though, All Shall Fall is genuinely a glacier of frostbitten delights. Without a bad song on the album and a tidy running time, the album showcases the finest cuts of Immortal in this day and age, and it honestly hasn't felt so empowering to bang the head along to some serious top quality black metal in a long time.

-

Black metal
Nuclear Blast
Norway
Length: 40:12

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 27.09.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 105   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 776 users
06.10.2009 - 02:02
Rating: 7
Passe
We'll never know if materials for I (the band) were included in this release. I'm maybe mistaking but I fell like it's a failed mix of the two influences with a boring result. Note that I really like Between Two Worlds.

Appart Unerthly Kingdom which is a really matured song for this band, I can't get into this album.
08.10.2009 - 07:33
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Well......it has nice melodies.
12.10.2009 - 05:41
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I am not really into black metal, but occasionally I check out a few albums just out of curiosity. I've stayed away from most black metal bands due to the terrible production (that some may find attractive for some reason) and away from immortal specifically after looking up some of their songs on youtube that i really hated (videos were hilarious though)

But anyway, I really enjoy All Shall Fall. It creates a really cold and deep atmosphere, production is flawless, and the album is very melodic (yet not over the top). It was a good surprise.
----
13.10.2009 - 02:46
wormdrink414
Elite
Although I am really enjoying this album, I'm not sure it deserves a full 9 (although it is the rating I gave it, if reviewing it I'd have given it an 8.5). I would argue that Immortal has significantly changed their sound since Sons of Northern Darkness, and that the change is a regression of sorts. The album does not have the thrash 'edge' that the previous three albums have. It has a more purified black sound. Once again although I think it is a very good album (Immortal is still easily one of my favorite bands), it lacks the sort of raw, brutal riffs that characterized the last three albums. Just my take though. Your review justifies the score you gave it. I might very well be experiencing the slight sting of tmy unmet, and admittedly unfair, expectations.
14.10.2009 - 13:22
Hamird
Lieutenant
Beside the music, the album cover art is a unique one..
15.10.2009 - 20:20
Rating: 8
All hail Immortal - a triumphant return - true death metal with no frills...

What's up with CoB covering Spears? Yuk...
15.10.2009 - 23:16
ASiema113
Written by Hamird on 14.10.2009 at 13:22

Beside the music, the album cover art is a unique one..

While I find it attractive I'd say it's a leap to say it's unique. In saying that it reminds me of Santana's self-debut, in how they blend images together.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
21.10.2009 - 14:04
ORAS
The Album SUCKS!

noway near the Latest Albums (THE REAL IMMORTAL)

R.I.P IMMORTAL!

Another great band falling into garbage of change
21.10.2009 - 18:04
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by ORAS on 21.10.2009 at 14:04

The Album SUCKS!

R.I.P IMMORTAL!

I don't think that the new album Sucks
but I do beleive that there is no room for comparement with "Sons Of Northen Darkness"
the later had a unique kind of sound that cannot be compared to the rather non-originalforgetable sound and structure of "All Shall Fall"
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
21.10.2009 - 23:17
parallax
Who did the production on this CD? If it was Tagtgren I'd have to give it a listen.
22.10.2009 - 00:09
Lord_Regnier
Written by parallax on 21.10.2009 at 23:17

Who did the production on this CD? If it was Tagtgren I'd have to give it a listen.

Peter Tagtgren is the producer.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
22.10.2009 - 00:16
Lord_Regnier
Written by ORAS on 21.10.2009 at 14:04

The Album SUCKS!

R.I.P IMMORTAL!

I don't think the album sucks but it has a flaw, imo. It's a bit slow and soft for my tastes. It's an album I'll like to hear from time to time, when I'm in the mood for something less aggressive and fast than what I listen to most of the time. But it will never be among my favorites. And, imo, it's the least good Immortal album. Though I can't say it's a disappointment for me because I never expect anything really impressive from bands as old as Immortal.
----
23.10.2009 - 21:26
Pap
It's such a pity that a band with potentials - At the heart of winter really changed black metal 's level and showed that the word progress isn't unknown to the bands of the style - turned out to become a clone of themselves. After the third time you listen to the album you understand the lack of inspiration. . . So many years of abscence ended up to a repetitive formula of song writing and an album which seems as the result of the pressure that created a profitable music contract. The music is not bad but definitely has nothing special to say.
24.10.2009 - 11:42
Rating: 9
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
A really strong come back! classic immortal sound!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
24.10.2009 - 15:28
Lord_Regnier
Don't take it as a way to bash the band (I like Immortal), but a Finnish friend of mine told me Abbath said, in an interview taken from a european magazine, that they made this album only for money. Of course, it can be one more joke from Abbath, but it could also be true.
Unfortunately, I don't know which magazine it was.

In general, when bands are not active for many years and then come back, it's usually for monetary reasons over anything else. Don't forget that drugs are expensive.
----
27.10.2009 - 14:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Liked it and liked it really so much, thank you so much !
27.10.2009 - 20:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Nice review, finally got it late last week. i'd give it an 8. good stuff following the footsteps of "Sons", but not quite as good as some of their past high points.

not sure why a couple people are flying off the handle about the new album, it's the next logical step from "DiB" and "SoND" - not sure why folks would be surprised by this, or up in arms. it's not like it's a complete shift in style.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.11.2009 - 15:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Been giving it a lot of spins, although the album is decent (nothing more though) it is actually a very boring album with nothing totally memorable on it. Veyr ewell executed, but that's about it a 7 - 7.5 max I would say.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2009 - 23:15
Hellish Star
I adore this album but I admit being ignorant about Immortal and Black Metal.... Album will end very high in my year list
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
12.11.2009 - 00:03
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.11.2009 at 15:00

Been giving it a lot of spins, although the album is decent (nothing more though) it is actually a very boring album with nothing totally memorable on it.

Looks like we're on the same boat. The album is decent, nothing more. But I never expect something better than decent or average from old bands. I'd say most of the time albums from old bands just plain suck so I'm pleased if it's 'only' decent.

Also, I have the feeling the album would become boring quickly if I'd listen to it often. And indeed, nothing stands out.
----
07.12.2009 - 02:05
danielllewis
Sounds like bathory. ALOT like bathory.

Track 1 and 6 are great, and by no means is it bad. I really want to enjoy it, I just can't get over how much it reminds me of bathory. It makes me want to put blood fire death or hammerheart in and listen to that instead.
----
05.01.2010 - 03:07
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Good review. I dont think All Shall Fall deserves a 9 rate, but it is sure a great comeback.

Much softer than I expected actually: I thought they would come back destroying, killing and raping... but everything is pretty melodic and the atmosphere turn out awesome.

Very good album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
02.03.2010 - 14:23
Slayer666
Why am I not surprised that this was voted the best BM album of 2009 even though it clearly isn't....?
02.03.2010 - 17:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 02.03.2010 at 14:23

Why am I not surprised that this was voted the best BM album of 2009 even though it clearly isn't....?

It's obvious: Fanboys, same shit happened with Behemoth. But it was even worse with the Death Metal category because their album was just wankery.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.05.2010 - 22:25
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick
I absolutely adore this album. Immortal's best since Battles In the North, IMO.
03.05.2010 - 05:14
RavenKing
"All Shall Fall" is not bad. It's an enjoyable album but it lacks speed and rawness compared to their earlier works.
I hope the next album will be rougher. It's a bit soft for Immortal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.05.2010 - 12:00
The Turbanator
Unearthly Kingdom is a song full of fucking wins.

This album for me is as good as Sons of Northern Darkness and At The Heart of Winter.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.06.2010 - 14:55
EzeKyeL
When I first listen the last Immortal's album I was hoping a second 'SoND' but I was really disappointed, but with the time My need for immortal new stuff grown and finally explode when I've given them a second chance nearly a years after the release of All Shall Fall ! Why I've waited so long!!! It's exactly what I was expecting after SoND

Must Listen: All Shall Fall and Unearthly Kingdom
And give you the time to appreciate the album as a whole

Sorry for my poor English..
----
KeeP ThE MeTaL FaTe AliVe!!!
26.06.2010 - 19:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely a step down from their best works, the main issue is that it's not even interesting enough to be bad. Sufficient for die hard fans though. Immortal on autopilot.
30.07.2010 - 23:49
Rating: 6
DreadfulYgg
It's a very good Immortal album and probably one of their better works, it's just not their best. A solid 8 from me.

Hits total: 21985 | This month: 19