09.11.2009 - 17:02
soadbyob
Account deleted
Ok, there both out now, so choose!
09.11.2009 - 17:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
PLease explain the poll more thoroughly. F.e. why you picked these two albums and also state which one you prefer and why.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.11.2009 - 17:35
thesabbathfan
World painted blood sucks dude.
----
09.11.2009 - 17:43
soadbyob
Account deleted
Sorry, forgot to vote. yeah, i fuckin love endgame, WPB fuckin sucked, which took me forever to realize the fact that slayer made an album that sucked, im still in denial for the most part
09.11.2009 - 17:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
I quite like the Slayer album. You can all pick your bandwagons, but I quite enjoyed it.
09.11.2009 - 17:48
DrM
DreaMutilated
Being the dedicated Megadeth fan this is a no-brainer for me, though I must admit I also liked WPB, still - Megadeth will always be Megadeth (even when Dave changes the entire lineup twice a year).
09.11.2009 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
World Painted Blood by far.

Endgame is full of pointless meandering songs which are stuffed with solos that have nothing to add to the songs. What's the use of a solo when it doesn't enhance a song at all?
WPB is focussed and in your face, good old Slayer, best they have done in about 15 years.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.11.2009 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok if Baz n Marcel post here so I will to,
I would vote for Endgame, but I dont do it now, because I have no heard Slayer's album, but I doubt I like it because I never liked anything after Seasons In The Abyss , leithers album I did not like eather, so I doubt I would like this, but I love new Megadeth album, look my explkanation in dead Magnetic vs Endgame poll, dont wanna reapiete
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.11.2009 - 18:08
Hellish Star
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.11.2009 at 17:49

Endgame is full of pointless meandering songs which are stuffed with solos that have nothing to add to the songs. What's the use of a solo when it doesn't enhance a song at all?
WPB is focussed and in your face, good old Slayer, best they have done in about 15 years.

Marcel, you're getting old!

"Endgame" by far because of the songs, the awesome production, the fantastic guitars, the entire athmosphere....

Slayer released a mediocre Thrash album, certainly for a band with their past...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.11.2009 - 18:13
Marfere
I like both. But prefer Endgame. They're both so much better than Death Magnetic though
09.11.2009 - 19:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Post something worthwhile. knock off the absolutely useless "+1" spam.

for me, i'm in agreement with Marcel here.

WPB by far. The production left a bit to be desired, but it had some energy to it. a couple of the short tracks were great throwbacks.

Megadeth just kinda bored me a bit as it went on. the solos were more technically impressive than King/Hanneman (zomg that's a shock), but whereas Slayer's chaotic outbursts tend to capture the energy and fury of the song at least, a chunk of Megadeth's felt more masturbatory and placed in to show off/fill space rather than carry the emotive thrust of the song.

Endgame is certainly better than the last Megadave album i wasted money and time on (Youthanasia), but i prefer the new Slayer.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.11.2009 - 19:57
_HIV_
World painted blood offcourse ... (its so fukn obvious to me , cuz i dont like megadeth and dave is a complete retard)
09.11.2009 - 23:33
TormentoR.
Lol "Psycopathy Red SINGLE " owns the whole Endgame, but the WPB definently crushes Endgame

----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
09.11.2009 - 23:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I love Megadeth and Slayer, and like both albums, so it's not that easy for me! But, I am going to go with "World Painted Blood". Maybe it's because of the huge expectations I had for "Endgame", I dunno, but I felt a bit disappointed with it even though I really liked it. There's two main gripes I have with it. The first, is that some of the solos feel like they've been inserted for their own sake, and don't really elevate the songs, like a great solo should do. The second problem, is some of the songs feel underdeveloped, rushed, or unfinished. ("...Sealed With A Kiss" being the best example of this) "World Painted Blood"...well, it's Slayer, isn't it? It's not quite as good as "Christ Illusion", which I absolutely loved, and thought was a great album, but I'm not dissappointed with it. It's scathing, old school thrash all the way, and it does exactly what it says on the tin! It's Slayer for me.
10.11.2009 - 00:01
THE_BLACKANKRA@
Account deleted
Lame topic < SCREAMS
10.11.2009 - 00:03
THE_BLACKANKRA@
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.11.2009 at 17:49

thank you +1

I listened it once and I dont know when I have free time to give an ear to such an album!
10.11.2009 - 00:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2009 at 23:57

The first, is that some of the solos feel like they've been inserted for their own sake, and don't really elevate the songs, like a great solo should do.

Finally someone else has the same vision about solos as I do (btw BitterCOld as well). There is too much soloing for the sake of soloing, showing off. And that is ALWAYS a bad case. I'd rather have an album without any solos than an album where the solos are there for the sake of the guitarist's ego.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2009 - 01:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by DrM on 09.11.2009 at 17:48

- Megadeth will always be Megadeth (even when Dave changes the entire lineup twice a year).

Megadeth sure as hell wasn't megadeth 13 years ago...
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.11.2009 - 01:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2009 at 00:14

Finally someone else has the same vision about solos as I do (btw BitterCOld as well). There is too much soloing for the sake of soloing, showing off. And that is ALWAYS a bad case. I'd rather have an album without any solos than an album where the solos are there for the sake of the guitarist's ego.

Yep, I definitely found elements of "Endgame" sounded forced, especially the solos. Unlike say, "Rust In Peace" where every solo sounded right, was put in the right place, and crucially, enhanced the songs. Its a good album to be sure, I just was a bit let down by it. And it's not as good as "The System Has Failed" either. Technically the solos in "Endgame" are light years ahead of the ones on "World Painted Blood". The difference is, the Hanneman/King solos sound perfectly integrated into the songs, and add to them. As opposed to the bolted-on for their own sake as is the case in some of the "Endgame" songs.
10.11.2009 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.11.2009 at 01:42

And it's not as good as "The System Has Failed" either.

First marriage proposal

Quote:

Technically the solos in "Endgame" are light years ahead of the ones on "World Painted Blood". The difference is, the Hanneman/King solos sound perfectly integrated into the songs, and add to them. As opposed to the bolted-on for their own sake as is the case in some of the "Endgame" songs.

Sorry, but will you marry me?
(btw, hope you're not a minor or else I might get in trouble for the proposal hahhahaa)
It's isn't about if the guitarists are proficient but more about the message they try to get across. And King/Hanneman pull of that job here.
Had a discussion (although not really since we agreed) with a friend yesterday that Slayer just wouldn't be Slayer and it wouldn't work with technically better guitarists than King/Hanneman. They define the Slayer guitar sound.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2009 - 01:57
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I have not heard the new Slayer, save a song or two while browsing. As far as Endgame goes, I would agree to some extent that the solos are well in excess on the album. HOWEVER, there are certain songs that sound great with the face-melting approach. '1320' the bridge riff (I think) goes for the jug, but the solo tradeoff at the end really sends you down the fucking runway. The solos at the end of 'This Day We Fight' send you into battle as well. "Headcrushers" closing solo by Broderick stands out as one of the more memorable solos, probably because there were no other solos in that song up until that point. They have their moments, but I do agree that they lose their flavor on many of the tracks, particularly on the filler section between '1320' and 'Endgame'.
----
10.11.2009 - 02:01
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Put it this way, it is the last Megadeth album I will ever buy. I don't see them going anywhere at this point in their career. Like many of the old thrash bands, they are becoming novelty acts and can't outgrow their labels tagged to them. They have all tried and failed already. (St.Anger, Volume 8, Risk, can't pick one out for Slayer as I see enough of a trend in their albums post Abyss for me to stay away from them).
----
10.11.2009 - 02:02
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Listen to I mean, I didn't actually buy it
----
10.11.2009 - 02:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Lol. on first listen, the intro bit to Endgame (the track) i immediately thought it sounded like he "lifted" (being polite here) the inspiration from a Jello Biafra (formerly of Dead Kennedys) spoken word bit that Ice-T laid over the intro to Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath for the opening track to his "Freedom of Speech" album.

tried to dig up a youtube clip of the Ice-T creation and stumbled across this little nugget, which immediately confirmed my theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2KyFKyDwY
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.11.2009 - 03:40
Nyxgrinder
Mehadeth´s is so slow now and so christian...... plus the only song worth from that album it is headcrusher.
Slayer´s painted blod is the winner
10.11.2009 - 18:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nyxgrinder on 10.11.2009 at 03:40

Mehadeth´s is so slow now and so christian......

Yes, Dave Mustaine is a Christian nowadays but then again so is Tom Araya.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2009 - 18:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2009 at 01:49

First marriage proposal

It actually is, Ive never been proposed to before! First time for everything I guess.

Quote:
(btw, hope you're not a minor or else I might get in trouble for the proposal hahhahaa)
It's isn't about if the guitarists are proficient but more about the message they try to get across. And King/Hanneman pull of that job here.
Had a discussion (although not really since we agreed) with a friend yesterday that Slayer just wouldn't be Slayer and it wouldn't work with technically better guitarists than King/Hanneman. They define the Slayer guitar sound.

Hehee! *blushing*

You're okay, I'm not a minor.

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman are perfect for Slayer. I've heard many people complaining about their solos, but they are a major part of what makes Slayer Slayer, and makes them so special. The leads are chaotic, and perfectly compliment Slayer's harsh music. I really can't imagine any other guitarists playing for Slayer, and fitting the band's music so perfectly. I also don't get why so many say Kerry "can't play solos". I mean, come on! I play guitar, and I don't find his leads easy to play at all! It's just a cheap shot from people who don't like Slayer, and/or Kerry. Okay, he's not the best, or most technical guitarist in the world, but he is definitely better then the haters try and make out. Hanneman/King are definitely one of my fave guitar teams in metal. Probably only second to the mighty Tipton/Downing of Priest!
10.11.2009 - 22:06
_HIV_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2009 at 18:00

Written by Nyxgrinder on 10.11.2009 at 03:40

Mehadeth´s is so slow now and so christian......

Yes, Dave Mustaine is a Christian nowadays but then again so is Tom Araya.

but tom araya didnt say dissection cant play with them (dave is a dick)
10.11.2009 - 22:59
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2009 at 01:49

This had me laughing for ages. Way to go Marcel

Anyway, this post is doing my head in, I want to vote but haven't yet heard Endgame and I was pleasantly surprised by WPB, the problem is, I've never been a big Megadeth fan and hate out of place solos. Judging by the comments on this thread, I'm not dying to listen to Endgame, but I suppose I'll have to.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
10.11.2009 - 23:31
His Eminence
Account deleted
I must be hiding under a rock or something. I had no clue that Slayer released a new album. I'll have to listen to World Painted Blood to form my opinion, but I really enjoyed Endgame. I'll try not to let my bias of liking Megadeth more get in the way though.