Metal Storm logo
Difficult Languages

Original post

Posted by Konrad, 10.12.2009 - 07:52
Obviously, this varies depending on your mother language. It would obviously be extremely difficult for an English speaking native to learn the Mandarin tones. This may be easier for a Korean, however. Although this is an opinion poll, try and say why you voted for the language you voted for.

Poll

What is the most difficult language to learn?

Chinese Mandarin/Cantonese
Other
Finnish
Arabic
Polish
Russian/Ukranian
Hungarian
Japanese/Korean
Tamil

Total votes: 24
24.12.2009 - 16:48
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 01:03

Doutch, French, Italian ! really dont think that any of these languages are easy

english is one of the easiest languages in the world but nowadays it has became hard!

Don't know bout Dutch but Italian is NOT hard...in fact...you can learn it very fast if you want to and feel the interest...

English has never been easy to learn...in fact...its grammar was more complicated before, modern English has become a lot more simplified...

Italian is EASIER than English...SPANISH is EASIER than Italian....

By far, if you search for a logical and simple and clear language which is spoken anywhere in the world, it's Spanish and not English....

Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 02:43

so you are Russians to be honest.

If you say that then you sound like saying "So Turks are British to be honest."

Finnish is Uralic-Altaic...

Russian is Indo-European...

there is a BIG difference between the languages...culturally tho, Finland, Russia and Baltic states are one culture space...we have similar musical traditions and history but we are all different nations and languages...

Turks are not Persians nor Arabs...but you all share the islam culture space altho you're not related to each other....

Last but not least...in case you never knew... Finnish is most likely closer to TURKISH...
Whereas Scandinavian languages, Russian and Latin are related to Persian...closer than Finnish to Turkish...a lot closer...
24.12.2009 - 17:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 24.12.2009 at 16:48

Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 01:03

Doutch, French, Italian ! really dont think that any of these languages are easy

english is one of the easiest languages in the world but nowadays it has became hard!

Don't know bout Dutch but Italian is NOT hard...in fact...you can learn it very fast if you want to and feel the interest...

English has never been easy to learn...in fact...its grammar was more complicated before, modern English has become a lot more simplified...

By far, if you search for a logical and simple and clear language which is spoken anywhere in the world, it's Spanish and not English....

Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 02:43

so you are Russians to be honest.

If you say that then you sound like saying "So Turks are British to be honest."

hahaha, lol! so can you say that half of the europians are turks rofl.

here one of our finish friends answered that yes we are more russians, so I dont need to hear somthin from outside about them.

no man finland is not as old as Osmanli, you have to read more history. the word So called Caucasian Ethnics belongs to Turks man (Turks which are from middle Kafkaz not all for example Azeri's). cause Caucasian means ppl from Kafkaz (not all turks).

Turks come from Mongolia and China and they are one of the most old Generations of the world (as Arians, the most near language of the world to Ancient Sumerians). Now we have a lot of Turks in China and Mongolia(maybe all of the Mongolia) right now. Iran (40 Million), China, Mongolia, Azerbaijan (all), Turkmenistan(all),Kazakhstan, Turkey, Kazakistan some in Ozbekistan, some in Ukraine, some in Finland (true they have some turkish ethnics if you talk so historically), Magaria (like Finish ppl have old Ethnics of middle Cacasian ppl), some in Germany, some in Greece, some in Bulgaria. some in Georgia. and some others I dont want to count.

but there is a big problem. and thats Tukey's name! this is new and it doesnt mean just Turkey's ppl are turks. its a new name before it was Osmanli which had a empire in Europe, Asia and yes Africa. in three Mainlands.

and about British and Turks, I dont remember nothing! as I know before Osmanlı, Turkey (not all Turks as I said) was a territory of old Roman. and better to say East Romans. (as we learned it in school).

Nietzsche has abook called Zardostra, better to know that he was Azerian! (Zardosht) Azer means "Fire" and Zardosht (Zartosh or Zarthost) ppl's sign for god was Fire. one of the first ppl who had just one god. even beofre Jews. now Persians stole this history hehe. you are in love Iran's history and persian colture. so its better to know, Iran's name is come form a Tableland in the middle of Mountatins (take a look at Iran's map). it has nothin with Azerians, Zardosht (Zartosh is from Urmia my homecity, but again they want to say not hehe). Azarians (these are turks!) had a big man called Babak (or truly Papak, persians calls him Babak) who was a big warrior. he deffended our lands against arabs for 27 years. and killed with his own kid in the end.

I have a lot of words to say but here is not the right place.

Turkic Language worldwide:

take a look at the Image above, nothing a bout Iran and some others. but Iran has at least 30 Million Turk. SHAME.

Edit: I enlarged the image and saw that there is a little blue part in Iran! but the highlighted area isnt the the turks manlands. northwest northeast(the lines) are turks and a little from the northwest to the center. Images are taken from Wikipedia.
24.12.2009 - 18:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Ernis on 24.12.2009 at 16:48

By far, if you search for a logical and simple and clear language which is spoken anywhere in the world, it's Spanish and not English...

I meant "Deutsch" but with a wrong dictation sorry. Itallian is so near to French when you compare their Vocab, this is what my girl friend said (she has master degree of French). ok so I dont think Itallian can be so easy. just try to talk like Itallians! Language is not just Vocab, Grammer. Accent is important. I never can talk like Italians so fast for sure hehe.
24.12.2009 - 19:53
The Shape
I have to Say Russian. My best bud speaks russian, and on many occasions has tryed to teach me a few things. It was really hard. Stuff like french and spanish just came natural to me. He speaks it flawless to because his parents make him speak that at home. But IMHO Russian is an extremely hard language to learn
----
25.12.2009 - 04:09
Graveheart
@THE_BLACK_GOD: Notice I said Russians but only if I had a choice between Russians and Swedes.
25.12.2009 - 04:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Graveheart on 25.12.2009 at 04:09

@THE_BLACK_GOD: Notice I said Russians but only if I had a choice between Russians and Swedes.

I know man, you are exactly Finish. dont get me wrong, but this is new for that Finish ppl are not Vikings. Im talking about roots. so if you are not Vikings you have Russians or more historically Caucasians. I heard from somewhere that you are have caucasian ethnics then yes you cant be Scandinavian that way. but you are more near to Scandinavian mainlands than Iceland. said it cause K7 said that you are not near. one of cities which I love to see is St. Petersburg which is very near to Finland.
25.12.2009 - 16:30
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 25.12.2009 at 04:27

I know man, you are exactly Finish. dont get me wrong, but this is new for that Finish ppl are not Vikings. Im talking about roots. so if you are not Vikings you have Russians or more historically Caucasians. I heard from somewhere that you are have caucasian ethnics then yes you cant be Scandinavian that way. but you are more near to Scandinavian mainlands than Iceland. said it cause K7 said that you are not near. one of cities which I love to see is St. Petersburg which is very near to Finland.

Today's class!

Tho I think you don't understand it anyway but at least my heart will be lighter...

Finnish people speak Finno-Ugric language which belongs to Uralic language family....Finnish, Estonians, Maris, Mokshas, Samis and other oogry-moogric peoples once lived near the Uralic mountains....it is not known whether they were all a single nation with a common tongue such as Indo-Europeans...it is doubted...nowadays it is thought that the different nations of the Ural and Altai mountains were all together and all of them influenced each other's lives and languages in a way...After ice age, these peoples went to live in different parts of North Asia, South-East Europe, North-East Europe etc...

Mind you....the Finno-Ugric peoples lived in Scandinavia, Finland, East Europe and Northern Asia BEFORE the Indo-Europeans, Germans, Swedes, Danes and Slavonic peoples went to populate these areas...

Also...as I already said...the ancestors of Finns and Turks were once neighbours if not relatives...Besides Finns, Samis, Estonians and Hungarians there are also Maris, Erzyans, Mordvins, Nenets, Enents, Sölkups, Kamass and many other Uralic peoples living out there...

The Republic of MariEl (Maris are Volga-Finns) is right next to Tatarstan (Turks)...

Estonia, Finland and Hungary, are actually the westernmost places you can find Finno-Ugric-speakers...

What did we learn today? Finno-Ugric peoples are NOT Scandinavians, NOT Slavonic people...

Since we are so mixed up with the peoples that have invaded our territories, the language is the only thing that makes us special...

And as a final cherry on the tart...
linguistical comparison to show the difference between Finns and Scandinavians...
The F-word...
Swedish: FAN
Norse: FAEN
Danish: FANDEN

Finnish: PERKELE

and well...gonna add the Estonian one too... KURAT

Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 17:59

(as Arians, the most near language of the world to Ancient Sumerians).

För the löve öf Göd what I just found....

Arians are a supposed name of a group of Indo-European peoples....it's not language...if you wish to speak bout languages, there's a group called Indo-Arian languages (Indo-Iranian that is)...
SUMERIANS?! hva faen! Sumerian language is classified as an isolate languages....it is not related to any of the languages known today...
The sentence you wrote looks rather ignorant....I know all languages are possibly related to each other in a way but right now what you said sounded like "Japanese is the closest relative to Latin!"

I think you won't understand what I just wrote...but I tried...
25.12.2009 - 18:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 25.12.2009 at 16:30

Written by Guest on 25.12.2009 at 04:27

Today's class!

Tho I think you don't understand it anyway but at least my heart will be lighter...

Finnish people speak Finno-Ugric language which belongs to Uralic language family....Finnish, Estonians, Maris, Mokshas, Samis and other oogry-moogric peoples once lived near the Uralic mountains....it is not known whether they were all a single nation with a common tongue such as Indo-Europeans...it is doubted...nowadays it is thought that the different nations of the Ural and Altai mountains were all together and all of them influenced each other's lives and languages in a way...After ice age, these peoples went to live in different parts of North Asia, South-East Europe, North-East Europe etc...

Mind you....the Finno-Ugric peoples lived in Scandinavia, Finland, East Europe and Northern Asia BEFORE the Indo-Europeans, Germans, Swedes, Danes and Slavonic peoples went to populate these areas...

Also...as I already said...the ancestors of Finns and Turks were once neighbours if not relatives...Besides Finns, Samis, Estonians and Hungarians there are also Maris, Erzyans, Mordvins, Nenets, Enents, Sölkups, Kamass and many other Uralic peoples living out there...

The Republic of MariEl (Maris are Volga-Finns) is right next to Tatarstan (Turks)...

Estonia, Finland and Hungary, are actually the westernmost places you can find Finno-Ugric-speakers...

What did we learn today? Finno-Ugric peoples are NOT Scandinavians, NOT Slavonic people...

Since we are so mixed up with the peoples that have invaded our territories, the language is the only thing that makes us special...

And as a final cherry on the tart...
linguistical comparison to show the difference between Finns and Scandinavians...
The F-word...
Swedish: FAN
Norse: FAEN
Danish: FANDEN

Finnish: PERKELE

and well...gonna add the Estonian one too... KURAT

Written by Guest on 24.12.2009 at 17:59

(as Arians, the most near language of the world to Ancient Sumerians).

För the löve öf Göd what I just found....

Arians are a supposed name of a group of Indo-European peoples....it's not language...if you wish to speak bout languages, there's a group called Indo-Arian languages (Indo-Iranian that is)...
SUMERIANS?! hva faen! Sumerian language is classified as an isolate languages....it is not related to any of the languages known today...
The sentence you wrote looks rather ignorant....I know all languages are possibly related to each other in a way but right now what you said sounded like "Japanese is the closest relative to Latin!"

I think you won't understand what I just wrote...but I tried...

I knew that you will missunderstand me in this part, I didnt mean that Arians have somthin with Sumerians. I wrote it in a complicated way. (as Arians), and the other sentence which I wrote, was about Turkic Lang sorry. I know Arians and Sumerians are not same generation at all. but the most important thing is that as I know 80% of sumerian writtings has not translated yet. but near by 300 words found (untill now) werer found which are turkic words. I dont know they are Turkic or they are Sumerian words. but as I know the most near language to this translations is Turkic.

but Im agree that I dont know nothing about Finish ppl this way. I didnt know these information before. nice lessens.
25.12.2009 - 18:59
Ernis
狼獾
Ok....first I understood that Indo-Iranian language is the closest language to Sumerian...now you say it's a Turkic....

Well....no words any more...

oh, I know one word "lil" which supposedly means the same as our "leil" and Finnish "löülü"...
25.12.2009 - 21:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
LOL Kurat means "fuck!" in estonian? i hope it's not pronounced like it's written with accent on the second syllable, because that means it's the same as the romanian "curat" which means "clean"
25.12.2009 - 21:13
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 25.12.2009 at 21:01

LOL Kurat means "fuck!" in estonian? i hope it's not pronounced like it's written with accent on the second syllable, because that means it's the same as the romanian "curat" which means "clean"

It's 'KURAT and not KU'RÁT

It actually means "devil".... but it's used as the f-word...
Some Russians call Estonians "kurat" because that's a rather widespread word....just like Russians use "бля"...the Russian equivalent means "bitch" tho...
25.12.2009 - 21:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 25.12.2009 at 21:13

Some Russians call Estonians "kurat" because that's a rather widespread word....just like Russians use "бля"...the Russian equivalent means "bitch" tho...

ah, okay...

you also said that Spanish is easier than Italian.. how so? also i know it's a bit childish but are you talking about Spanish pronunciation or the Latin American style pronunciation? because i find the first incredibly ANNOYING and difficult, like this silly joke i used to make with my sister when she lived there, that snakes in Spain don't go "ssss", but "thh..thhhh...thhh..."
25.12.2009 - 21:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 25.12.2009 at 21:27

Written by Ernis on 25.12.2009 at 21:13

ah, okay...

you also said that Spanish is easier than Italian.. how so? also i know it's a bit childish but are you talking about Spanish pronunciation or the Latin American style pronunciation? because i find the first incredibly ANNOYING and difficult, like this silly joke i used to make with my sister when she lived there, that snakes in Spain don't go "ssss", but "thh..thhhh...thhh..."

Spanish is easier...it's also spoken by more people...Italian is spoken in Italy only and more fractured into dialects.... plus I personally speak Spanish better and it's easier for me than Italian...

Bout European and American differences...yes, European Spanish is like "potato in mouth"...I prefer to use the American pronunciation myself....

And speaking of Italian... I apologize to all Italian speakers here.... Italian sounds very obnoxious...a lot more than European Spanish....some say Chinese sounds obnoxious...well...Italian sounds more obnoxious....
25.12.2009 - 22:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 25.12.2009 at 21:45

And speaking of Italian... I apologize to all Italian speakers here.... Italian sounds very obnoxious...a lot more than European Spanish....some say Chinese sounds obnoxious...well...Italian sounds more obnoxious....

i'm learning Italian for an Erasmus scholarship and i love it, i think it's a beautiful language, even though debating with a guy at the store who gave you the wrong pack of cigarettes can be made to sound like the most soul-shattering drama that ever existed lol

maybe i love it so much because it's pretty much the most similar language to Romanian apart from our dialects. Wikipedia says the Italian language's lexical similarity with Romanian is 77%, we have pretty much half-sister languages, Romanian being born from Latin(70% or so) + Slavic(25%) and 5% others and Italian mostly from Latin and a bit from various other languages..

edit: Lol i forgot to add i'm playing Prince of Persia The Two Thrones with the language set as Italian, i'm awesome right?

also, check this out, "she always closes the window before having dinner" in various latin languages, amazing:

Ea semper fenestram claudit antequam cenet. (Latin)
Ea închide întotdeauna fereastra înainte de a cina. (Romanian)
Lei chiude sempre la finestra prima di cenare. (Italian)
Elle ferme toujours la fenêtre avant de dîner. (French)
Ella siempre cierra la ventana antes de cenar. (Spanish)
Ela sempre fecha a janela antes de jantar (ceiar). (Portuguese)
Eilla pecha siempre la ventana enantes de cenare. (Leonese)
Idda sempri chiudi la finestra àntica cina. (Sicilian)
Ella sempre tanca la finestra abans de sopar. (Catalan)
Ela pecha sempre a xanela denantes de cear. (Galician)
Essa nzerra sempe 'a fenesta primme de cenà. (Neapolitan)
Ea sempre sera 'a fenestra prima de cenà. (Venetian)
25.12.2009 - 23:28
Elio
Red Nightmare

I would like to share something about last Viggo's post.

1. Well, I don't know if that's true that Italian language sounds "dramatic", but I watch anime in Japanese and I think it sounds way more dramatic.

2. It's true that some Italians have hard feelings against Romanians and immigrants in general, but that's not cute to say that a whole nation is xenophobic I have to admit that I tend to associate Romania more to Eastern Europe, actually I didn't think that our languages could be so similar, still I don't understand how this is supposed to be racistic somehow.

3. Yeah, some accents are really gay, Southern ones fortunately are pretty rough, especially Taranto's dialect so it's fine to me.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.12.2009 - 23:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 25.12.2009 at 23:16

Mayb it's because Italians have hard feelings bout the Romanian immigrants and there's the stereotype of Romanians being some "East-Europeans" and East-European=Russian/Slavonic (yes...even Hungarians, Balts and Estonians) and then they will think..."Oh, we've got nothing to do with THEM..."

i'd say it's because they aren't too versed in ancient Roman history.. i won't deny that half of the latin words are so distorted by the slavic, turkish and whatever influences so that they sound only vaguely "latin", but the basis is there.

also it might have to do with the fact that we, although as language we are related to them, are surrounded by slavic, turkic, Greek and fino-ugric peoples with their languages, like Hungarian, Slavic(as in Serbian, Czech, Slovak, Croatian, Bulgarian, Russian/Ukrainian - am i right when i lump these 2 together? etc.), Turkish, Greek, etc. so they don't expect an "island" of Romance language all the way out here. that's what makes us so interesting also in appearance and culture we are faaaar more similar to the Slavic peoples rather than to Germans let's say.. to be honest, a very typical appearance for a Romanian would be like that picture you had with the church in the background.
26.12.2009 - 00:00
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 25.12.2009 at 23:43

also it might have to do with the fact that we, although as language we are related to them, are surrounded by slavic, turkic, Greek and fino-ugric peoples with their languages, like Hungarian, Slavic(as in Serbian, Czech, Slovak, Croatian, Bulgarian, Russian/Ukrainian - am i right when i lump these 2 together? etc.), Turkish, Greek, etc. so they don't expect an "island" of Romance language all the way out here. that's what makes us so interesting also in appearance and culture we are faaaar more similar to the Slavic peoples rather than to Germans let's say.. to be honest, a very typical appearance for a Romanian would be like that picture you had with the church in the background.

One question... are Romanians orthodox or Roman catholic?
I know that the orthodox church influence brought lots of Russian loanwords into Romanian which nowadays are again replaced by Romance words...such as the word "necesitar" (or similar) being replaced by "trebovat" (or similar) and now once again replaced by the original Latin root....

Well...are southern Italians similar to Germans then? I don't think so....and well...even Germans ain't all blonde and stuff....the highest quantity of blue-eyed blondes is supposedly in Sweden (not that much in Norway nor Denmark)...

Oh yah...some Kazakh dudes in China once asked me "Are you Russian?" Well...no "But you look like one!" Wha....so the stereotype is that 100% of Finno-Ugric peoples are blonde and Slavonic peoples are 100% not-blonde...

Russian and Ukrainian are related languages such as Italian and Spanish.....
26.12.2009 - 00:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 26.12.2009 at 00:00

Written by Valentin B on 25.12.2009 at 23:43

One question... are Romanians orthodox or Roman catholic?
I know that the orthodox church influence brought lots of Russian loanwords into Romanian which nowadays are again replaced by Romance words...such as the word "necesitar" (or similar) being replaced by "trebovat" (or similar) and now once again replaced by the original Latin root....

the Romanian people are Orthodox Christian, 86% or so.. and yeah you got that right, "necesită" (it needs) got replaced mostly by "trebuie", which is pretty much less official than "necesită". also i realize it now, the pronunciation is very latin-like, except in a few cases like the ă, ţ, ş, î, â etc.