Metal Storm logo
Reverorum Ib Malacht - What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

12 users:
Band: Reverorum Ib Malacht
Album: What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas?
Style: Dark Ambient, Black metal
Release date: July 2005

01. What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas?
02. ...And Bathe In Cold Holy Water

Our precious genre of 'Heavy Metal' is now, say, about forty years old. In these forty years there have been quite a few bands that tried to scare us. From Black Sabbath through Demilich to Darkspace and Esoteric. Occult symbolism, harsh noise, whirlwinds and sandstorms, underground caves, mad monks, labyrinths and cosmic terrors, we've seen much and by now we're used to much. Right?

Well, if you're really all that tough and masculine, and want to prove yourself, allow me to introduce you to Reverorum Ib Malacht. Or more in particular, their first demo What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? (from now on referred to as Judas). Sounds tacky? Think again...

Judas opens up with howling winds and screaming voices. But soon enough an ardent stream envelops you. Within seconds your cosy living room has disappeared and you find yourself in the catacombs of an ancient abandoned monastery, where monks that once resided there suddenly disappeared seemingly without reason, until rumours of an allegiance with the Devil spread in the surrounding villages. It is the production that is largely responsible for the eerie vibe, as it is cataclysmic at the very least. The guitars, keyboards and drums are running rampant, but they're largely indistinguishable. They're morphed into one single stream, one smooth flow of sounds because of the awful (yet amazing) way it is all produced. It's as if every sound echoes through the infinite labyrinths of madness, forever and ever.

"...And Bathe In Cold Holy Water" continues the devilish insanity portrayed in "Judas" and tops it. What a breathtakingly delusional hymn! A beautiful intro slowly dissolves into harsh noise until the hellish stream-of-consciousness takes over again. One last element remains to be described: the vocals. No screams, no shrieks, no growls. No, only hallow, distant and hymnic vocals. Vocals with a confusing warmth to them, all the while remaining eerily estranging, utterly fanatic and despaired beyond words. There are no words.

Judas is Black metal in essence, but Black metal morphed beyond recognition. Amidst the large, ambient walls short bursts of rage spawn and dissolve. These burst seem largely improvised due to their chaotic, sloppy nature and their inconsistent appearances. Still, all the hellish, haunting and horrifying elements of Black metal are kept, intensified by evil Dark Ambient.

So, What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? I have no choice but to fear and worship him. Unique. Breathtaking. Horrific. Fanatically fantastic.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 24.12.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 77   Visited by: 230 users
25.12.2009 - 18:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 25.12.2009 at 12:25

I understand. I'd rather have you review material like this than putting out reviews for albums everyone's heard. You could say I'm not very sympathetic for a lot of modern art, no matter the form (painting, sculpture, literature, music, et cetera). And yeah, music is going to be largely a personal preference and I am glad there is stuff out there for everyone.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.12.2009 - 19:06
Rating: 2
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Lucas on 25.12.2009 at 12:14

As far as I remember, I never disliked this album... ?

Well, you never praised it the way you do now. But nevermind...?
25.12.2009 - 23:38
Rating: 9
Got Mayhem?
Sounds a bit like later DSO releases based on the review?
I'll try to check this out soon.
----
26.12.2009 - 13:19
Well, the review got off pretty good and got me interested as well. Of course the production is just terrible (and not in the way of Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" which is purposely awfull no matter what people might say and even the band itself who probably got bored of explaining and said - yes, we spent money on shit and nothing left for the recording). However, underneath the true mud of a sound there is some decent idea of metal and darkness, it is spooky, it is disturbing and somehow convincing. Now, it a shame we'll never hear this produced better (you know, like - you can really hear something ...) but Lucas got the point (and obviously loves the metal very much!), there is something here that we have not heard anywhere else, never before. It's not music made for money, not at all (and everything nowadays is made or done for the fucking money) and therefore it cannot be judged as such. There is really really a gigantic potential within this music but will probably never be exploited or explored, we just have to deal with this muddy, blurry, opium-like hallucinations, this heavy, bass driven black music. Fine with me.
26.12.2009 - 17:57
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Yes, rating is unbelievably high IMO either.
26.12.2009 - 21:18
Got Mayhem?
It took me forever but I finally got this demo DL'ed. I'll listen to it sometime soon.
----
26.12.2009 - 23:03
Got Mayhem?
I really have no idea how i would rate this. I don't mind the production, though I can never tell if there actually is a guitar in the mix. It's creepy, atmospheric black metal that is just so obscure I can't come to conclusions about it. I like it, but I'm not sure how much I like it.

I recommend it, because everyone will have different feelings about this demo.
----
27.12.2009 - 00:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Got Mayhem? on 26.12.2009 at 23:03

I recommend it, because everyone will have different feelings about this demo.

I agree with this 100%, it doesn't mean that this album will be awesome for everybody... But it has something new to bring to the table so people should check out the demo
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2009 - 08:08
Sunioj
This album is a trip, going through the whole thing is really an experience. Good with drugs too, very good.
27.12.2009 - 08:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 27.12.2009 at 08:08

This album is a trip, going through the whole thing is really an experience. Good with drugs too, very good.

hehe, in their page at last.fm, last post was about drugs! man was said: "if I knew I would use more!" (almost something like this)
27.12.2009 - 14:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Yeah, you really have to be in a specific mental state to really see the greatness of the album, with drugs or for me... Just being very very tired and hearing this alone at 3AM. works beautifully.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2009 - 14:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2009 at 14:50

Yeah, you really have to be in a specific mental state to really see the greatness of the album, with drugs or for me... Just being very very tired and hearing this alone at 3AM. works beautifully.

it seems that you are against drugs, true?
27.12.2009 - 20:56
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 27.12.2009 at 14:55

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2009 at 14:50

it seems that you are against drugs, true?

I wouldn't assume that from his post tbh, if anything he agrees that some kind of mental state is most appropriate for listening to this.

Normally I used blast this one on my stereo before going to sleep. The production, the drums, everything.. just gives you this feeling that you are crawling through narrow catacombs and that demons are right around the corner.
28.12.2009 - 02:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I second what Sunioj said

Never said that I was against drugs though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.12.2009 - 06:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Whoa, I'm surprised at all the responses. I used to listen to this all the time but I kinda forgot about it I guess. I prefer to listen to this on headphones while going to sleep because it relaxes me. Lucas, I thought you would have written this review a long time ago Nice review

@Baz - I can hear the drums clearly. But, it doesn't matter because the drums are just simple background noise, kinda like Darkthrone. It's all about the vocals coming at you

Here's a thing for you guys to try - play this album at the same time as something aggressive, like death metal or something. Playing both simultaneously makes it even better, depending on what you choose.
28.12.2009 - 07:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Haha, it really is nice to see this album reviewed here.

i have only one thing to mention: epithets like "evil" or "devilish" might mislead your readers, Lucas. perhaps this doesn't sound like gospel, but it is christian music by christians, from start to finish.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.12.2009 - 07:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Good point. But for me, religious music with chants or choirs generally sounds creepy, and I love it. I bought this one album by some big chamber choir from Spain and it's awesome. The only creepier album I've heard is Black One, Ordo Ad Chao, or this Seriously, Mayhem could play that famous Hallelujah song and it'd give me nightmares.
03.01.2010 - 00:23
Slayer666
Holy. Freakin'. Shit. This album is.... it's just... I don't know how to describe it. I simply can't find the words. An ambiental masterpiece, to banalize it. And I was listening to it on some pretty terrible headphones, I can't wait to get better ones to expirience this one fully.
I have to say, Lucas, this is one of the very few albums where I actually agree with the rating.
And BTW, what does the name of the band translate to? If anything...
03.01.2010 - 00:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 03.01.2010 at 00:23

I have to say, Lucas, this is one of the very few albums where I actually agree with the rating.

Thanks!

Quote:

I have no idea, I'm afraid. But I'd sure like to know...
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.01.2010 - 00:48
Slayer666
Written by Lucas on 03.01.2010 at 00:27

Written by Slayer666 on 03.01.2010 at 00:23

Thanks!

Quote:

I have no idea, I'm afraid. But I'd sure like to know...

Haha, don't get me wrong, I usually agree with the reviews themselves. but you do rate them a bit too high.

The first word is latin, I belive (learning it in school). The rest just looks... Made up.
11.01.2010 - 00:48
ylside
Staff
Written by Guest on 25.12.2009 at 04:43

When Lucas gives such a vote in his review it means I have to try it. but there is question for me, what is that jewish thing about? (the holder of the flames). in this photo of the artwork you cant see it but take a look at here:
what is the relations btw judas and this? I mean if this is a jewish band or not?

Well the band seems to have some sort of esoteric theming, and jewish mysticism (Kabbala) seems to be embraced by another band from Uppsala, Therion - there might be a link there . Also the label is named "The Ajna Offensive", and the ajna refers to the third eye chakra in hindi (or indian in general ?) mysticism I think.

Well I didnt comment here just for that, but I did like this demo surprinsingly. Totally shit production that reminds me of the last time I heard these black metal "derivatives" as in... Moevot. Nice atmospheric ambiance..

MAN these drums are....
11.01.2010 - 08:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 11.01.2010 at 00:48

Written by Guest on 25.12.2009 at 04:43

When Lucas gives such a vote in his review it means I have to try it. but there is question for me, what is that jewish thing about? (the holder of the flames). in this photo of the artwork you cant see it but take a look at here:
what is the relations btw judas and this? I mean if this is a jewish band or not?

Well the band seems to have some sort of esoteric theming, and jewish mysticism (Kabbala) seems to be embraced by another band from Uppsala, Therion - there might be a link there . Also the label is named "The Ajna Offensive", and the ajna refers to the third eye chakra in hindi (or indian in general ?) mysticism I think.

true said, it was my fault cause I thought they are satanist or something then I found they are a religious band.
11.01.2010 - 17:15
ylside
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.01.2010 at 08:33

true said, it was my fault cause I thought they are satanist or something then I found they are a religious band.

Spiritual most probably, not religious. There's quite a difference
11.01.2010 - 19:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 11.01.2010 at 17:15

Written by Guest on 11.01.2010 at 08:33

Spiritual most probably, not religious. There's quite a difference

I know what is Spiritual but I think Ive read that they are religious. anyway.
11.01.2010 - 19:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
They're Christian actually, that's what I heard.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.05.2010 - 17:47
Got Mayhem?
Well, if it's true, then this is the best Christian music I've ever heard.
----
02.06.2010 - 08:56
Götter
Elite
Well, I discovered this only now, and it's awesome! Totally something to listen to until old Abruptum is reformed and IT starts making music again.
05.06.2010 - 11:34
InnerSelf
proofread free
Honestly this is one of the greatest reviews I have ever read in MS "after Jupitears masterpiece For Lies I Sire of course "
anyway it got my attention from the beginning and through out the review it felt like the only thing that I want right now is to listen to this album for it is "as you described" Mystic , and actually the first thing that went through my mind was The Ruins of Beverast "I don't know if there is any similarity" I hope this album creates the same atmosphere that Unlock The Shrine does

A great review ,thx man
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.06.2010 - 11:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by InnerSelf on 05.06.2010 at 11:34

Honestly this is one of the greatest reviews I have ever read in MS "after Jupitears masterpiece For Lies I Sire of course "
anyway it got my attention from the beginning and through out the review it felt like the only thing that I want right now is to listen to this album for it is "as you described" Mystic , and actually the first thing that went through my mind was The Ruins of Beverast "I don't know if there is any similarity" I hope this album creates the same atmosphere that Unlock The Shrine does

A great review ,thx man

Thanks for the kind words man.

As for The Ruins Of Beverast... the resemblence in vibe/sound is minimal, but I'd say that if you like the one, you'll most likely like the other.
----

07.07.2010 - 21:26
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Oh! MAN!!!

Hits total: 9598 | This month: 19