Metal Storm logo
Help Me Get A Friend (Further) Into Metal

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 05.03.2010 - 01:00
After searching for various recommendations/suggestions threads, I was unable to find one directly related to this. I have a friend who is borderline into metal, but she doesn't enjoy the extreme music. I offered her my (as of yet) three "Top 25 of 20xx" lists, but less than a handful of those albums interested her.

Some bands she enjoys are as follows: Anathema, Be'lakor, Black Sun Aeon, Daylight Dies, Katatonia, Novembre, Swallow the Sun

Harsh vocals aren't the problem, in fact she enjoys them as much as anyone else. The problem seems to be the degree of extremity. I for one enjoy black/death/doom/etc. and cannot for the life of me recommend more "mainstream" or "soft" bands like the ones listed above (this is in no way an assault on those bands). I'm looking for minimalism (without repetition), emotion (without extremity), and skill (without wankery) I guess. She's very bored of her media library and I'm hoping MSers can help me help her!
27.05.2012 - 12:48
mayoarm
Have you tried progressive rock? Combines the technical and musical complexity with the soft and gentle atmospheric music.
porcupine tree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcE_LUxaJY
riverside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXL2aOu9ME

or perhaps atmospheric non-prog bands such as toundra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JIRywdd-8
27.05.2012 - 19:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
From above suggestions, what I am thinking is that you guys will have a terribly beautiful kids. Good going guys.
27.05.2012 - 21:00
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'd suggest Moonspell, a band you can easily get into if you like a combination of emotional, melodic and harsh at the same time. For a bit more extremity in their music Under The Moonspell, Irreligious and Wolfheard are in order; for something a bit more on the melodic side Sin/Pecado or anthiyng after The Antidote.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
27.05.2012 - 21:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.03.2010 at 01:00
I have a friend who is borderline into metal, but she doesn't enjoy the extreme music.

Soooooooo... After more than two years, how are is it going? Because if she's into the shizzle now, maybe there's no point for this thread.

Just saying
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.05.2012 - 21:52
mayoarm
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.05.2012 at 21:10

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.03.2010 at 01:00
I have a friend who is borderline into metal, but she doesn't enjoy the extreme music.

Soooooooo... After more than two years, how are is it going? Because if she's into the shizzle now, maybe there's no point for this thread.

Just saying

lol didn't realize this thread was from 2010

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.05.2012 at 19:37

From above suggestions, what I am thinking is that you guys will have a terribly beautiful kids. Good going guys.

... what? grammar?
28.05.2012 - 02:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Just saying

Well this is the same friend who I later dated and she stopped talking to me after the hospital stuff... so I have no idea what she's listening to these days.

I guess the topic serves its purpose for others looking to acquaint themselves with similar music though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.05.2012 - 02:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.05.2012 at 02:35

Just saying

Well this is the same friend who I later dated and she stopped talking to me after the hospital stuff...

So....She's listening to sludge now? Cool.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.06.2012 - 00:32
Josh Gottret
Hahahahaha!!! Always trying to catch people for us!
Try to make her know that the metal it's the best thing in the world, let know her about our qualities and our infinite power of culture, decision and accuracy that we have to make things...awesome things!
I recommend you that while you are talking with her or doing anything...try to put low music and do the same thing constantly, to get results!

Maybe the ballads are the best thing to hypnotize a girl...but not always!
Try with Kamelot, they have awesome ballads...and some songs that maybe a girl likes.
Another good option it's SENTENCED, good music and great songs!

Anyway the gods of metal...will guide you through the best path to make her a great headbanger!

Luck!