Metal Storm logo
Fates Warning

07.08.2006 - 01:27
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I can't believe no topic has been made for this band. One of the greatest heavy metal/progressive bands in the history of metal.Their albums are all amazing. With albums such as The Spectre Within,No Exit,Perfect Symmetry and of course who could forget that timeless classic Awaken the Guardian (one of the greatest albums of all time).From the majestic John Arch to Ray Alder on vocals.Let me know what you think on this legendary metal band.
09.08.2006 - 08:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am a fan. I have both 'Awaken the Guardian' and 'FWX.' I am bigger fan of their newer material, but I enjoy everything that I have heard. I would really like to find 'A Pleasant Shade of Gray' somewhere. A great band.
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.08.2006 - 12:48
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
To be honest I've never heard about this band, but they sound interesting. Do they have a website and does it have samples? 'cause I would like to listen to their stuff
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.08.2006 - 16:22
KMR
Written by GT on 09.08.2006 at 12:48

To be honest I've never heard about this band, but they sound interesting. Do they have a website and does it have samples? 'cause I would like to listen to their stuff

Sure they have... use google You can also check on youtube.com.
----
Nothing is sacred.
09.08.2006 - 18:19
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
They are just amazing. Matheos is one of the best composers in progressive. I have heard some bad news though about them. I heard that Matheos wants to diband Fates Warning and continue with O.S.I. Nothing is sure though.
09.08.2006 - 22:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hey, way to make a Fates Warning thread Shawn! I love Fates Warning and I should really get to making some prog band threads...

I have no favorite Fates Warning album...the first song I heard by them was Eye to Eye...second was Point of View so...THEN I discovered their earlier work and was blown away...albums like No exit, Perfect Symmetry, and their classic Maiden stuff that's progressive-tinged...very good shit right there...I haven't heard their newer stuff...I tried downloading Disconnected but got....well....disconnected...ahahaha

I saw a '3 Corners of Prog' tour...it only went through once and they were never able to do it again...Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Queensryche....I Mother Earth opened for some reason...Brian Byrne came on and said 'we're taking the band into new progressive directions'...did they on their Meat Orange Dream whatever album? NO!

Anyway, Fates Warning, yah...classic band...so many prog bands owe then big time hah...
10.08.2006 - 02:52
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I completely agree,Dream Theater owes it all to Fates Warning.Portnoy even tips the hat saying this "Very often fans and critics credit Dream Theater for creating a whole new genre of Progressive Metal music in the late 80's/early 90's...but the truth is Fates Warning were doing it years before us". You cant compliment a band much more than that.
10.08.2006 - 23:35
Hellish Star
Fates Warning, another awesome band. I like the old stuff and the "new" stuff with Ray Alder. Another band who is far underrated after al lot, really a lot good albums...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
11.08.2006 - 01:15
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Author on 09.08.2006 at 22:40

Hey, way to make a Fates Warning thread Shawn! I love Fates Warning and I should really get to making some prog band threads...

I have no favorite Fates Warning album...the first song I heard by them was Eye to Eye...second was Point of View so...THEN I discovered their earlier work and was blown away...albums like No exit, Perfect Symmetry, and their classic Maiden stuff that's progressive-tinged...very good shit right there...I haven't heard their newer stuff...I tried downloading Disconnected but got....well....disconnected...ahahaha

I saw a '3 Corners of Prog' tour...it only went through once and they were never able to do it again...Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Queensryche....I Mother Earth opened for some reason...Brian Byrne came on and said 'we're taking the band into new progressive directions'...did they on their Meat Orange Dream whatever album? NO!

Anyway, Fates Warning, yah...classic band...so many prog bands owe then big time hah...

I too saw that tour. That was my first real intro to Fates Warning. I their first album, but that was it. But getting to see them live blew me away. I went out and started buying anything Fates I could find.

For me, I am a huge fan of "Awaken The Guardian". I have the new re-mastered version of the album with a bonus live disk and a DVD of old, really old Fates concert footage.
----
(space for rent)
11.08.2006 - 03:53
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 11.08.2006 at 01:15

Written by Author on 09.08.2006 at 22:40

I too saw that tour. That was my first real intro to Fates Warning. I their first album, but that was it. But getting to see them live blew me away. I went out and started buying anything Fates I could find.

For me, I am a huge fan of "Awaken The Guardian". I have the new re-mastered version of the album with a bonus live disk and a DVD of old, really old Fates concert footage.

Its a shame the DVD has such poor quality,I keep trying over and over to watch Guardian (my fav Fates Warning song) in hope the quality will improve but alas it does not,however it is a very good thing to add to any collection,be it for metal or Fates Warning
26.08.2006 - 15:51
Anathemani@c
Written by Author on 10.08.2006 at 02:52

I completely agree,Dream Theater owes it all to Fates Warning.Portnoy even tips the hat saying this "Very often fans and critics credit Dream Theater for creating a whole new genre of Progressive Metal music in the late 80's/early 90's...but the truth is Fates Warning were doing it years before us". You cant compliment a band much more than that.

I totally agree with you. I've been for so long saying that Fates Warning are the biggest prog metal band ever and Dream Theater are after them, but no one believed me. I've seen Dream Theater interviews where they admitt that Fates Warning are bigger band than they are...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.08.2006 - 23:11
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 26.08.2006 at 15:51

I totally agree with you. I've been for so long saying that Fates Warning are the biggest prog metal band ever and Dream Theater are after them, but no one believed me. I've seen Dream Theater interviews where they admitt that Fates Warning are bigger band than they are...

Yeah dude,but I hate how Fates Warning never gets the credit they deserve as a prog metal band,and even as just a band.And at the tour where it was Fates Warning,Queensryche,and Dream Theater,how come it was Dream Theater and Queensryche that performed together and FW opened and then was not seen for the rest of the show.That just always bothered me.
26.08.2006 - 23:33
Windshear
Account deleted
I got the Awaken the Guardian re-issue and I was floored!
"Guardian hads got to be one of the st songs ever written.
27.08.2006 - 10:09
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Author on 26.08.2006 at 23:33

I got the Awaken the Guardian re-issue and I was floored!
"Guardian hads got to be one of the st songs ever written.

Yeah I completely agree,its very subtle in its meaning,see if you can figure out!Its a very positive message.The song absolutely kicks ass,and im proud to say its my favorite Fates Warning song!
28.08.2006 - 17:45
Stoemp
I discovered this band through FWX, then bought a box with 3 of their previous albums (A pleasant shade of grey, No Exit, Disconnected). I don't know why, but for some reason I don't really like their older material. I only like Disconnected and FWX. Both albums are really awesome (maybe some die hard fans won't agree, but this is how I feel about this). I'm not a real progressive fan, but yes, these albums really rock!
28.08.2006 - 21:03
Hellish Star
Written by Stoemp on 28.08.2006 at 17:45

I discovered this band through FWX, then bought a box with 3 of their previous albums (A pleasant shade of grey, No Exit, Disconnected). I don't know why, but for some reason I don't really like their older material. I only like Disconnected and FWX. Both albums are really awesome (maybe some die hard fans won't agree, but this is how I feel about this). I'm not a real progressive fan, but yes, these albums really rock!

A matter of taste I suppose... For example; I'm crazy about "No exit"
----

28.08.2006 - 21:05
Hellish Star

That's a fact. It's typical on this forum; a lot of people don't know the older and less famous bands so they only say they like what they do know about...
----

29.08.2006 - 04:35
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 28.08.2006 at 21:05

That's a fact. It's typical on this forum; a lot of people don't know the older and less famous bands so they only say they like what they do know about...

Wow dude you are so right,you pretty much said it all.
29.08.2006 - 11:04
Hellish Star
Written by Author on 29.08.2006 at 04:35

Well, a guy like you should try Helstar (and a lot of other US power metal bands); I'm pretty sure you'll like them...
----

30.08.2006 - 05:26
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 29.08.2006 at 11:04

Written by Author on 29.08.2006 at 04:35

Well, a guy like you should try Helstar (and a lot of other US power metal bands); I'm pretty sure you'll like them...

Definitely dude,any albums or songs you want to recommend to me?
30.08.2006 - 09:39
Hellish Star
@maiden; try
-Remnants Of War
-The Distant thunder
-Nosferatu

"Remnants..." is my favorite album but I know most people préfere "Nosferatu"...
----

04.09.2006 - 00:22
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Today someone after hearing a few songs I sent them from Awaken the Guardian had the balls to tell me its not really progressive,and that it sounds more like Iron Maiden than Dream Theater.Why people think Dream Theater is the definition of Progressive Metal is beyond me because these guys were doing it before DT.While the album is probably more metal than progressive it does contain very many progressive elements.That however is my pet peave when people always have to refer to Dream Theater to refer to Progressive Metal.
10.10.2006 - 12:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this band its one of firts bands in early 80ties who has song in 7-11 minutes long, that tendece was in 90ties and leither 80ties when other progbands satrt playing or early Deep Purple,Rainow, Pink Floyd live shows, but not in studio

i like all 80ties albums, from 90ties hawnt hear so much only myspace and i can say 80ties are better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2006 - 14:51
Anathemani@c
Fates Warning is simply the best prigressive metal band that now exists!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
15.10.2006 - 04:48
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I finally got my hands on A Pleasant Shade of Gray about a month or two ago and have been listening to it nonstop,even my friend who before hated Fates Warning because of John Arch (people just dont understand how great of a singer he is) liked it.Its such an amazing album,and I will argue to death that they are the greatest progressive metal band of all time.
04.07.2007 - 16:16
baldur
i really like their new album FWX all of the tracks are awesome but left here and heal me are just incredible
awesome love this band!
04.07.2007 - 16:36
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Author on 07.08.2006 at 01:27

I can't believe no topic has been made for this band. One of the greatest heavy metal/progressive bands in the history of metal.Their albums are all amazing. With albums such as The Spectre Within,No Exit,Perfect Symmetry and of course who could forget that timeless classic Awaken the Guardian (one of the greatest albums of all time).From the majestic John Arch to Ray Alder on vocals.Let me know what you think on this legendary metal band.

I couldn't be more descriptive . I strongly believe on this band. In fact have you listened to some of their side-projects?
12.07.2007 - 15:14
Mindheist
No Longer Human
A short fan-filmed video clip of Fates Warning performing at the Evolution Festival in Firenze, Italy on July 7, 2007 has been posted on YouTube. Enjoy .
14.07.2007 - 11:15
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 12.07.2007 at 15:14

A short fan-filmed video clip of Fates Warning performing at the Evolution Festival in Firenze, Italy on July 7, 2007 has been posted on YouTube. Enjoy .

Haha thank god someone agrees with me! This band is probably the first progressive metal band. These guys are legendary. As far as side projects are concerned I've heard Ray Alder in Engine, Matheos in OSI (a band I am really dissappointed in) , and John Arch (one of my favorite singers ever) , and Joey Vera when he was with Armored Saint, and who is also with John Arch.
14.07.2007 - 21:17
APOHAKC
The Bard
I like new albums from this band, but not a fan of old ones, they sound to much like Iron Maiden lol
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!