Metal Storm logo
Best traditional metal voice

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 09.08.2006 - 14:37
I vote for udo.the power he puts in his vocals is so uplifting(head over heels for example) and he's got some range there,i tells ya!
and don't forget to give an argument

Poll

which has the best voice?

Bruce Dickinson
Dio
Rob Halford
James Hetfield
other(specify)
Ozzy
Lemmy Kilmister
Dave Mustaine
Udo dirkschneider

Total votes: 323
04.11.2009 - 18:35
It's hard to choose! D:
24.11.2009 - 11:01
Angel Of Mercy
Dickinson, he just has the range and the power.
----
Your time will come.
25.11.2009 - 11:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Too many great voices in Metal but I must pick Ray Alder
----
rekt
21.07.2010 - 18:22
JD
Account deleted
I think James Hetfield or Lemmy.
22.07.2010 - 20:36
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I don't mean to insult Bruce or Rob or anyone on the list, but there's only one voice of metal and that is Ronnie James Dio. And yes, I said IS, present tense. If Elvis might be alive, then Dio sure as hell is.
18.08.2011 - 17:04
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Hard choice between Halford and Dickinson. I chose the former, because his voice hasn't changed drastically after all the years. Dickinson, however, doesn't sound the way he did back in the 80s.
18.08.2011 - 19:51
Berserk
I went with Rob. He's always had a powerful, amazing voice that can outdo anyone on that list, even Dickinson and Dio. The man's in his 60's and his voice hasn't changed... much.
----
Fear the Old Blood
19.08.2011 - 08:03
Void Eater
Account deleted
Mega lols at the folks who voted for Ozzy as the best singer in traditional metal. The bloke always sucked; even his best vocals, on Sabotage, were average. My vote goes for Dio, for no other reason than personal prefrence.
20.08.2011 - 12:17
Metal_4Ever
Hard to choose but I'd like to say Helford I like him a lot, Ozzy will come in a second place.
21.08.2011 - 03:38
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 20.08.2011 at 12:17

Hard to choose but I'd like to say Helford I like him a lot, Ozzy will come in a second place.

How can you like cheesy power metal vocalists and not like Dickinson?
22.08.2011 - 01:06
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 03:38

Written by Metal_4Ever on 20.08.2011 at 12:17

How can you like cheesy power metal vocalists and not like Dickinson?

Dickinson would come in the third place don't worry.
06.12.2012 - 05:34
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Bruce Dickinson is an awesome singer, although Dio is a legend for sure. I chose Bruce, since I have more of Iron Maiden's albums than Dio's, but with the couple I have from Dio, he is also fantastic.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
26.12.2012 - 01:06
Dickinson without second thought!
31.12.2012 - 04:15
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Bruce Dickinson

With Dio 2nd and Halford in 3rd place.
11.01.2013 - 17:34
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
The best metal vocalist i ever came across with was Lost Horizon's Daniel Heiman.

21.01.2013 - 03:09
squidrick420
Other: King Diamond!!!!!! HOW IS THE KING NOT ON THIS???
21.01.2013 - 09:14
Patrick.
I voted Bruce because he's my personal favorite, though I could just as well have gone for anyone in the "holy trinity" (Dio, Halford, Dickinson).
22.01.2013 - 14:30
Chriwalker
Account deleted
I would have said Bruce because he's one of my all thime favourite singers, but I have to go for Dio this time as he is the most iconic imo
22.01.2013 - 23:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 11.01.2013 at 17:34

The best metal vocalist i ever came across with was Lost Horizon's Daniel Heiman.

I certainly wouldn't count Lost Horizon to be one of the classic/traditional voices in metal.
----
28.03.2013 - 14:13
Metal_Elle
Bruce Dickinson !
01.04.2013 - 22:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Part of me wanted to say Rob Halford, but I voted for Dio. Definitely a great voice, there. I think Bruce Dickinson has power, and worked great for Iron Maiden's music, but he's a tad overrated. He's often a little sharp, and his vibrato is badly forced. Other than that, he's good for what they do. Were it not for sheer popularity, though, I think he would've been beaten out--by at least Halford and Dio.
----
02.04.2013 - 00:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Jaeryd on 01.04.2013 at 22:45

Part of me wanted to say Rob Halford, but I voted for Dio. Definitely a great voice, there. I think Bruce Dickinson has power, and worked great for Iron Maiden's music, but he's a tad overrated. He's often a little sharp, and his vibrato is badly forced. Other than that, he's good for what they do. Were it not for sheer popularity, though, I think he would've been beaten out--by at least Halford and Dio.

I politely disagree with you on the Halford over DIckinson part, especially nowadays. But Dio is an infinitely better, and especially more versatile, vocalist than Dickinson or whoever on that list, even just before he died. A vocalist like DIo comes by once every one or two lifetimes at most.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2013 - 02:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2013 at 00:42

I politely disagree with you on the Halford over DIckinson part, especially nowadays. But Dio is an infinitely better, and especially more versatile, vocalist than Dickinson or whoever on that list, even just before he died. A vocalist like DIo comes by once every one or two lifetimes at most.

But Dickinson is not so bad comparing to Ian Gillan nowadays .... I saw many live DP on TV . Gillans vocals are horible
Bruce still is good,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2013 - 03:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 02.04.2013 at 02:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2013 at 00:42

But Dickinson is not so bad comparing to Ian Gillan nowadays .... I saw many live DP on TV . Gillans vocals are horible
Bruce still is good,

Bruce is a lot younger than Ian so that helps immensely. When Gillan was DIckinson's age he was a lot better
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2013 - 03:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Gillan had great vox when he was young, wery good
Yes also true but many can sing at age ... hmm Ozzy has good vocals, who alse are old
Brian Jonson voice hasnt changed much ..... cant remeber old dudes now,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2013 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 02.04.2013 at 03:06

Yes also true but many can sing at age ... hmm Ozzy has good vocals, who alse are old

are you totally deaf? Ozzy was never really good and nowadays his vocals are totally TERRIBLE

Brain Johnson was never any good and now he is worse.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2013 - 08:28
slinx
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2013 at 03:15

Written by Bad English on 02.04.2013 at 03:06

are you totally deaf? Ozzy was never really good and nowadays his vocals are totally TERRIBLE

Brain Johnson was never any good and now he is worse.

I gotta agree with you on Ozzy, I cannot take him seriously as a singer without him doing Black Sabbath songs, his vocals are atrocious and cringe-worthy. Listen to the chorus on Shot in the Dark and you will see what I mean.

Though of course it comes across as biased, I voted for Dio, as he is what got me into Black Sabbath. I'm still making my way to into their back catalog (or as what a lot of people would say: the only Black Sabbath that matters) as I have the first album and a greatest hits album.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
03.04.2013 - 18:26
JaciLeigh
It's tough for me to choose one out of them all, but I've narrowed it down to Dio, Ozzy, and Bruce Dickenson...which of these three??
03.04.2013 - 18:30
JaciLeigh
About Ozzy...while he doesn't have a 'beautiful' voice, he doesn't suck. It may not be clear and pretty, but Ozzy's voice is original, and just really cool. I think i see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree.
01.05.2013 - 20:30
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I'm going to say Phil Anselmo, that dude can do pretty much anything vocally.