‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]
Users visited: 374  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Paladin on 18.04.2010 at 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.

Page 10 of 10

deadone
loins are moist

21.04.2015 at 03:30
Written by Guib on 21.04.2015 at 03:26

I completely agree with you, though I always found that Angela had quite aggressive vocals, but w/e let's not debate on that haha.

I think Angela was fine for Arch Enemy and I think she's done more for girls in metal than the Nightwishes and Within Temptations and Lacuna Coils which promote crappy stereotypes of pretty things who sing pretty.
Mattybu

21.04.2015 at 06:06
Written by deadone on 21.04.2015 at 03:23

And then very often the press and the fans themselves talk about the hottest chick in metal. Fuck what century do we live in?

A century like every other one of human existence where men consider attractiveness when they look at women. I don't see anything wrong with talking about that. There's a thread about it on here too.

A lot of women fiend over sexy guys in metal as well and I've never heard of that being criticized before.
deadone
loins are moist

21.04.2015 at 06:20
Written by Mattybu on 21.04.2015 at 06:06

A century like every other one of human existence where men consider attractiveness when they look at women. I don't see anything wrong with talking about that. There's a thread about it on here too.

A lot of women fiend over sexy guys in metal as well and I've never heard of that being criticized before.

Nothing wrong with physical attraction (I like having a regulation glance at hot girls just like anyone else).

The problem is the constant sexualisation of female singers by fans and the media. And many female singers themselves promote this with sexy outfits and photo shoots (complete with extreme airbrushing to make them look more beautiful) - look at Christina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) or Simone SImmons (Epica) who are particularly prominent examples of sexualisation of women in metal..

In essence they're applying the same sleazy elements that dominate pop music.

Basically the women are often eye candy and have melodic sugary voices to match. It's completely against the metal ethos which is nominally against such low level attempts at marketing and an ethos that nominally supports equality.

As for girls discussing sexy metal guys, it doesn't happen as much (even taking into account lower proportion of female metal fans). E.g. most of the girls here focus on the bands and performances, not physical appearance of band members.
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

21.04.2015 at 11:16
Written by deadone on 21.04.2015 at 03:23

Written by Guib on 20.04.2015 at 17:44

Also I don't agree with the first post ''I think female cannot broadcast anger of metal'', O.o ?? Are you serious ? I mean
Angela Gossow sounded pretty angry in Arch Enemy and so does Sabina in Holy Moses... anyways.

It's a damning inditement on the chauvinistic nature of metal that when females started entering the genre en masse, it was as pretty things with pretty vocals

Probably why Sinergy were never as big as they should have been Kimberly Goss didn't sing and look pretty enough.
----
Mum - 21/10/1955 - 19/6/2015. R.I.P.

"They keep promising dragons, but all I get are more floppy wieners in my face."
Go the Sharks!
Bad English
Masterchief

23.04.2015 at 11:33
Written by deadone on 21.04.2015 at 03:30

I completely agree with you, though I always found that Angela had quite aggressive vocals, but w/e let's not debate on that haha.

I think Angela was fine for Arch Enemy and I think she's done more for girls in metal than the Nightwishes and Within Temptations and Lacuna Coils which promote crappy stereotypes of pretty things who sing pretty.

1th BW was diferent pure gothic, mid 90's stuff when true gothic metal and gothic doom was underground, real, when male and female vox was mixed old ToT, Flowing Tears Abd Whitered Flowers etc
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
scorn

31.05.2015 at 01:34

Leather Leone has done more for metal than any of the aforementioned.
Lethrokai

31.05.2015 at 14:36
I just prefer female vox in general tbh, though that may be what unlimited exposure to art pop has done to me. Goddamn Fiona Apple...
Also...

So yeah, I feel like female vocals can bring quite an interesting dynamic/variety to metal which, if done right, can be downright phenominal. They aren't all hits, but when they make it...
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

31.05.2015 at 16:13
Written by scorn on 31.05.2015 at 01:34

Doro has done more for female vocals in metal than anyone around in metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Bad English
Masterchief

31.05.2015 at 17:57
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2015 at 16:13

and she still do
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic

01.06.2015 at 18:42
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2015 at 16:13

Written by scorn on 31.05.2015 at 01:34

Hard to argue with Doro, unless you can argue she's done more for women on the 'rock' side of metal.

Regarding Angela and others, I would say Floor Jansen has probably had the most significant impact on women singing for metal bands, but obviously not because of her work in Nightwish. Dark Tranquillity, Devin Townsend, and Arjen deserve some mention here, because they kind of pioneered how women could fit into a metal album in unique and interesting ways (other than being a full-time lead vocalist).
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

01.06.2015 at 18:46
Written by AtLossForWords on 01.06.2015 at 18:42

Dark Tranquillity, Devin Townsend, and Arjen deserve some mention here, because they kind of pioneered how women could fit into a metal album in unique and interesting ways (other than being a full-time lead vocalist).

The Gathering and Paradise Lost pioneered that. those you mention just made it mainstream.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

AtLossForWords
Spinozistic

01.06.2015 at 19:02
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2015 at 18:46

Dark Tranquillity, Devin Townsend, and Arjen deserve some mention here, because they kind of pioneered how women could fit into a metal album in unique and interesting ways (other than being a full-time lead vocalist).

The Gathering and Paradise Lost pioneered that. those you mention just made it mainstream.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think the work done by Dark Tranquillity and Devin Townsend sticks out in my mind because both of them implemented that element into their music before it was 'cool' and it became such afterwards, so your point about mainstreaming is quite accurate.
----
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

02.06.2015 at 10:36
Written by AtLossForWords on 01.06.2015 at 19:02

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think the work done by Dark Tranquillity and Devin Townsend sticks out in my mind because both of them implemented that element into their music before it was 'cool' and it became such afterwards, so your point about mainstreaming is quite accurate.

Wasn't female vocals cool prior to 2009, when Townsend released his 1st album with a co-singer (Ki)?
----

"They keep promising dragons, but all I get are more floppy wieners in my face."
Go the Sharks!
slim pickings

02.06.2015 at 11:00
I like the female fronted traditional doom bands - Avatarium, Blood Ceremony, Mount Salem, gonna listen to Lucifer, I heard two songs and I liked them.
----
"what happens in my subconscious is not my business"
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic

02.06.2015 at 19:18
Written by M C Vice on 02.06.2015 at 10:36

Written by AtLossForWords on 01.06.2015 at 19:02

Wasn't female vocals cool prior to 2009, when Townsend released his 1st album with a co-singer (Ki)?

What about during first his experimentation with female vocals in '98? I'm trying to focus on female vocals in metal that are not necessarily full-time lead vocals.
----
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

03.06.2015 at 12:30
Written by AtLossForWords on 02.06.2015 at 19:18

What about during first his experimentation with female vocals in '98? I'm trying to focus on female vocals in metal that are not necessarily full-time lead vocals.

That was only backing and choirs. Lots of acts did that before and after. By 98 power, symphonic and gothic bands had started to use more women as vocalists (lead, backing, choirs). Candlemass used some on their debut back in 80-something (I want to say 86? 87?).
----

Go the Sharks!
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

03.06.2015 at 12:40
Written by M C Vice on 03.06.2015 at 12:30

Written by AtLossForWords on 02.06.2015 at 19:18

That was only backing and choirs. Lots of acts did that before and after. By 98 power, symphonic and gothic bands had started to use more women as vocalists (lead, backing, choirs). Candlemass used some on their debut back in 80-something (I want to say 86? 87?).

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Ganondox

04.06.2015 at 10:47
IMO this song demonstrates how soft feminine vocals can sound much more metal than aggressive masculine vocals: https://thel-train.bandcamp.com/track/scene-4-lunar-march
Yeah, there is some sort of effects placed on the voice to give it a darker tone, but I've got nothing against studio magic.
Sentinel65

06.06.2015 at 04:35
I haven't heard a large amount of female-fronted metal bands, but I would say that I don't care about their gender as long as the vocals sound good.
ixsetf

06.06.2015 at 05:13
I am surprised no one brought up Mallika Sundaramurthy from Abnormality yet, her vocals are proof that women can do death growls right.

Anyway, I would generally say I am ok with female vocals in metal. If they are incorporated correctly, they can sound really good.
vgmaster9

11.06.2015 at 04:27
Som Pluijimers (ex. Cerebral Bore) is as extreme a female vocalist can get.
Forty2One

06.08.2015 at 07:29
Having a hot chick lead singer seems a little gimmicky too me. Example would be Jill Janus in Huntress, the band doesn't do a whole lot for me, but my male brain keeps thinking about them and wants to like them because of how sexy she is.

Having said that, I loved Angela Gossow in Arch Enemy. Not only was she hot, but she had a great set of pipes for distorted vocals. She sounded great, still one of my favorite distorted vocalist. I dislike Gluz(also very very hot, I remember when she auditioned on Canadian Idol and when she was in The Agonist) in Arch Enemy now, it's just not my cup of tea with her. I just hope Loomis changes a few things.

It works in Symphonic Metal. Outside of Nightwish and Epica I don't really listen too much of that though.
----
Circus Maximus - Symphony X - Sabaton - Lost Horizon - Outworld - Falconer - Hammerfall
In Flames - Dream Theater - Enslaved
toxx
Supreme being

10.08.2015 at 10:20
Yes, in some bands.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]

Login or register to post here.