Metal Storm logo
Your personal Top10 Metal Songs

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 14.08.2006 - 14:24
Well, I think it would be cool if everyone had the chance to post their most favourite 10 metal songs. To keep it deverse - one song per artist. Also don't forget to include explanaitions for the songs you chose...

so here is mine (at least at the moment):

1. Children Of Bodom - Bodom After Midnight
This is the most difficult pick ever - I simply cannot pick my favourite COB song, since this is my alltime favourite band. I love the dynamics, I love the feeling, I love the vocals, I love the technicallity and I love the writing... for this is just the perfect music. Even the new album that tends to be a little bit new just plainly makes me happy when I hear it. Great stuff!

2. Lacuna Coil - Haeven's a lie
I love Lacuna Coil. And especially the more powerfull and catchy songs. For me Heaven's a lie is the anthem of a particular approach to metal that I hope will develom more and more. It has some great melodies, an amazing chorus and some great keyboards samples that simply make the music much more colorful and interesting at least for me (I play keyboards )

3. SlipKnot - My Plague (yes, I consider this metal)
Well, for me this song combines the two post difficult things to put together in metal. Melody and brutallity. I really like catchy stuff and the chorus is both vigourus, catchy and of course melodic. While the verse retains a very cool agressive brutal feel. And the nicest part of all it that the brutallity and the catchyness can ve felt troughout the whole song. Btw, I prefer the shorter version cause it's more to the point and more in your face basicly. And it's more radio-friendly as much as a song with growling in the verse can be and there's something I would like to note about SlipKnot's stuff. I don't think they are that untrue, because they are heavy as f**k. Actually it's most probably the heaviest and most agressive band on my list.

4. In Flames - Only for the weak
In Flames for me are just an awesome band and Clayman is one of my favourite albums ever (top 5 materisal basicly). An Only For The Weak is one of the coolest songs on the album. I'm not the biggest fan of the new In Flames stuff, but Clayman for me will probably always be the best gothenburg or melodic death metal (whatever you call it) albums ever. It is catchy, it is heavy, it has crunching guitar leads. What else could you possible want?

5. Metallica - One
Do I really need to explain. I love almost eveything about that song, from the music trough the inspiration for it to the story of it. For me it signifies the entrace of metal into the mainstream which for me is a cool thing. I think the more metal spreads the better. I would be gladly watching all of the bands on this list on MTV and reading how they earn tons of money, cause I belive they all (and not only them) deserve it more than Breatney Spears or Backstreet Boys. And there's something more. And aslo the music is so great. The verses are so emotional and well written... and the ending part just freakin kicks ass!!! Again, a great song combining emotions, bisicly lyrical music with really heavy stuff. Also this is probably the only Metallica solo (Kirk is one of the weakest guitarists ever!!!) that I really dig (may be also Nothing Else Matters), cause no matter that it's not so virtuoso it's just really well written. I also chose this song cause I wanted to have Metallica on the list and I was wandering what to choose. Cause they have both heavy songs and ballads. And both rock. So I picked One also beacause it fully represents them at their best (not like St.Anger which sucked)

6. Crematory - The Fallen
Just a perfect song. Nothig else to say Very cool keyboard melody. Great overall feel. Cool Melodic Verse and a really killer Chorus. That's it. And a cool tempo. I really dig this type of songs.

7. Amorphis - Crimson Wave
Another unique song. The whole album Am Universum for a very long time was one of my favourites. Some really catchy stuff on there. And in this particular song the thing that is sung over the opening riff (a bridge or a chorus probably... I don't really know with this a bit strange song structure) just makes me wanna jump around and headbang. And in addition to all the musical quality in this song, I also have some plainly personal reasons to love it

8. Nightwish - She is my sin
Well, we just need one more Finnish band in that list, huh I generally do not dig so much most of the stuff Nightwish do, but some of their songs are really really cool. And the coolest of them all is She is my sin. This song also helped me alongside Children Of Bodom to turn my mother into a metal aprechiator I really love the keyboards and the melody in this song. It just creates a great great feel for me. I like every single note that's in it and that is a very rare thing to happen with me. Especially with a song by Nightwish, cause didn't really like (and still don't) Tarja. No need to say that I was very happy when they kicked her out. I hope they find a singer that is not so operaic, so they can appeal to a larger audience and double the success they had with Once (which for me is thier strongest effort by far... it's just much more agressive and catchy than the older stuff.)

9. Soulfly - Seekin' Strike
Max Cavalera for me is among the greatest man of metal. Basicly godlike, despite the bunch of not so good songs he's done also especialy with Prophecy for example.. I love the way he writes his music and I really love his vocals. And this particular song just makes me wanna headbang and mosh in the most brutal pit possible.

10. Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
Well, the old Sepultura. What can you say... for me they are
a legend. And as I mentioned before Max is almost a God... And for me personally this is maybe thier coolest song (among others). I really dig everything about it, which all comes down to sheer brutallity. I love the mosh vibe Sepultura have to all thier stuff (I'm talking about the old Sepultura... I wouldn't mosh on Bullet the blue sky for example unless I really have to ). And also this is again a pretty personal song for me especially with the momorry of singing in on stage (on a totally inapropriate for that one) and scarying some jazz lovers and musicians out of the hall (yep, as I said, I generally play keyboards, but when my band needs someone to grawl it's usually me + Refuse/Resist doesn't really need keyboards anyway)
01.05.2010 - 23:18
Kennoth
Hard, big time, besides, my taste is ever changing. I'll choose a little bit more that ten.

Korn - Thoughtless
What can I say, my all time favorite from my favorite album ever. It relates to me in so many ways, and it's epic.

Korn - Alone I Break
Always have nostalgia creeping over me every time I hear it. Brilliant

Korn - No One's There
One of the saddest songs ever, I simply adore it.

Disturbed - Devour
This one perhaps might not be metal, but I don't care. Hard rock ballad, and it's so beautiful, just in the way I like it.

Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine
Awesomeness of this song cannot be denied

Scar Symmetry - Ghost prototype I - Measurement of Thought
Awesome, melody is simply brilliant, and Christian's vocals as amazing as always

Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
One of my all time favorites as well, it's very clever, catchy and meaningful

Sirenia - Sister Nightfall
Their best song, without a fraction of doubt.

Sevendust - Praise
One of the most appealing aspects of this song is singer's opening vocals, which sound so blackish, just the way they should (by blackish, I mean that the singer is black, anyway hear the song out and you'll get me)

Nightwish - Kinslayer
After careful consideration between Wishmaster, Wish I Had an Angel and Kinslayer, I decided to go with the Kinslayer.

Drowning Pool - Sinner
Tied down with Sermon and ever present Bodies. A rather simple, yet effective song from a vocalist very dear to me (present in my avatar at the time of writing this)

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brentt
Very touching. Melody is awesome and Till's vocals are great as always.

That's it, though it might not be all too accurate, otherwise, there would be LOT more Korn, Disturbed and Scar Symmetry songs present, but for the sake of diversity, I did it they way I did.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.09.2010 - 07:15
1. Cannibal Corpse: Hammer Smashed Face
2. Avenged Sevenfold: Nightmare
3. Slayer: Raining Blood
4. Machine Head: Halo
5. Killswitch Engage: A Rose Of Sharyn
6. Lamb Of God: Set To Fail
7. Devildriver: Hold Back The Day
8. Avenged Sevenfold: Unholy Confessions
9. Metallica: Dyers Eve
10. Trivium: Shogun
07.11.2010 - 14:17
vangosh
I have no order, but i'm gonna give you 10 fantastic songs!

Bleak (Opeth), The Lotus Eater (Opeth), A Scenery of Loss (Draconian), Powerslave (Iron Maiden), Moonchild (Iron Maiden), Everything Invaded (Moonspell), Death Shall Wake Us All (Fifth to Infinity), Inis Mona (Eluveitie), Forsaker (Katatonia)

Honourable mentions:
ALL stuff of Opeth!
Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth)
Sad But True (Metallica)
Twilight of The Thunder God (Amon Amarth)
ALL "Memorial" record (Moonspell)
Strange Machines (The Gathering)
I am Nothing (Katatonia)

09.11.2010 - 05:32
SlaytanicGonzo
No particular order. And just one per band

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due!
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
V8 - Cautivos Del Sistema
Hermetica - Atravesando Todo Limite
Almafuerte - Memoria De Siglos
16.11.2010 - 00:18
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
One per band? Then in that case:

Megadeth - The Skull Beneath The Skin
Overkill - Bring Me The Night
Annihilator - Tricks and Traps
Slayer - Jesus Saves
Evile - Schizophrenia
Pantera - Psycho Holiday
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison
Machine Head - A Farewell To Arms
Iron Maiden - Innocent Exile
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
19.11.2010 - 14:23
Luneth
Account deleted
This is beyond difficult, but here goes:

1. 'San Sebastian (Revisited)', Sonata Arctica
-It's Sonata Arctica, so what do we expect from this track? Erm, well, incredible guitar/keytar duo's? Yep, fantastic inspiring lyrics about the sun, wolves, romance and personal struggle? Obviosuly. As it goes, 'San Sebastian' is pretty much a love song about San Sebastian, and good old Tony's love for her, he sings about how he can't attain her because she [symbolising the sun] is, essentially, out of his league [being 'too hot' for him]. That's the general theme surrounding the song, and obviously, the muscianship is second to none as always with the guitar and keytar solos. I geniunely feel a bit sorry for Tony after hearing this song, because if it's literally a real life experience for him then it's gotta be hard, we've all been there, we just want a girl that's out of our reach for various reasons and it hurts, and this song says that perfectly, without actually saying it, it is by far, my favourite song [under pressure to write my favourite songs lmao] and easily, my favourite Sonata song, hope to hear more like this from them.

2. 'Valley of the Damned', DragonForce
- Great vocals/lyrics? Check; solid guitar/keybaord arragement? Check; Epic? Check; Solo/s? Hell yeah. That sums up VotD, the solo's are the work of a genius, credit to Sam for supporting Herman on this, but I gotta say, he is, the benign overlord of shred guitar right now, of course, this is an old source of info and for more contemporary examples of Herman's guitat prowess, please refer to 'Heroes of Our Time'; 'Reasons to Live' and 'Heartbreak Armageddon'. But as I was saying about the solo, the one where he solo'd himself, yeah that was a genius piece of musical creation, everything a guitar solo needs was in there, tapping the high tricky notes, insanely quick sweeping [his speciality imo], trills galore, pinch harmonics in tandem with the general overuse of the wah wah pedals create a very odd but brilliant sound and the great thing about this song that was probably done consciously by Herman Li was that the intro and VotD act as an 'abstract' [like the ones in scientific journals] for the rest of the album, they basically dictate how the entire album is going to play out and sound. This is by far one of the best Speed Metal songs of all time.

3. 'Neverending Story', Dragonland
-Firstly, haha because I have this song and it's unlikely that you do :p That aside I can;t fault this flawless track, it's Dragonland so it was destined to be an epic cover. Better than Rhapsody of Fire's; Within Temptations and Lunatica's combined in my opinion. The arrangement alone makes this song, what bolsters it however, is Olaf's guitar mastery and Eli's keyboard brilliance, he had to work hard to get this perfect no doubt, and it paid off, this track is coveted by so many Westerners because of it's rarity, and as I said, for good reason, Dragonland are severely underrated, they are, in my eyes, the epitome of Symphonic Power.

4. 'Daltor the Dragonhunter', Alliance of Bards
-How can such a seemingly new band have such an addictive song? How can a band have such a kickass name? I don't know either of these answers, but what I do know is that vocally this song is incredible; the arrangement is also worth noting, there's clear emmphasis on creating a medieval vibe with their overuse of the bass [bass solo's are a prominent feature on this album which is what makes it so interesting and unique] and it's awesome. Medieval music kicks ass, I often watch documentaries of old monarchies JUST so I can hear their festivals at court and all the awesome music being played lmao. Furthermore, there's a part in this album where a voice ['Daltor' I assume] speaks and it's just awesome, sounds like something out of Dragon Age Origins, at that point the keyboards just go over 9000 in epicness, great track. I could go on forever about the sweeping on guitar that takes place after that, then the bass lick, but I wont xD

5. 'Thwarted by the Dark (Blade of the Vampire Hunter)', Bal Sagoth
- Don't you just love how Bal-Sagoth come up with the strangest titles for their tracks? This whole album sounds like an extreme power fairy tail, and like something out of Gotham City from Batman movies [Batman Returns most notably], this song in particular is great because 1) The title is badass 2) The arrangement is awesome 3) Their keyboardist is a legend and overall, it's just nice to hear some extreme power metal bands from the UK, shame they haven't released anything for about 4 years.

6. 'Death and the Healing', Wintersun
-Was a tough choice between this and 'Beautiful Death', but in the end, the solo in this track won. The vocals alternate between clean and rough a lot in this track which is something a lot of people really like about Wintersun, they incorporate many genre's into their tracks, and, to be honest, the whole album is flawless, everything flowing together perfectly, every subsequent track running longer than the last, it's just incredible the amount of styles that are in this album and song alike, brilliant track.

7. 'Entangled', Magica
-Another melodic ballad? WTF is wrong with me?! But seriously this song is too good to pass up, with Magic, for me, it's all about the vocals, and Ana sings like an angel [helps that she has a sexy romanian accent], thats pretty much it for this song, the sheer quality of the vocals.

8. 'Promises', Adagio
-Love this band, love symphonic metal and prog metal, so this band is like the best of both. As for this song, well, I seem to really love certain ballad type songs, but this song is just incredible...great vocals/lyrics and great keyboard arrangment to set the mood perfectly.

9. 'In Death's Embrace', Dimmu Borgir
-Symphonic black metal rules, the album rules, the intro to this song alone gets me pumped. The keyboard melody just flows so perfectly, it's brilliant, I couldn't believe that this could be so good when I disliked Black Metal so much.

10. 'Empty Room', Celesty
-This is a great power ballad, simple in arragement, brilliant vocals and touching lyrics, this is pretty mucht the song that made me a Celesty fan.

Tracks that are also brilliant but did not get mentioned because I did no planning whatsoever for this: 'Dream Palace' Galneryus and 'The Story Remains' Fairyland.
20.11.2010 - 22:44
Incalus
Veni, Vidi, Vici - Virgin Steele
Genesis (The Making And The Fall Of Man) - Running Wild
Guardian - Fates Warning (hum.....maybe The Ivory Gate Of Dreams)
Merchants Of Death - Manilla Road
Orion - Metallica
Victim Of Changes - Judas Priest
Destination Unknown - Shadow Gallery
Breaking All The House Rules - Budgie
When I Die - Angel Dust
Black Religion - Heavens Gate
22.08.2011 - 04:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Oh boy...
1.They are the Children Of the Underworld - Deicide
2.Idle Hands - Shadows Fall
3.Suspended By The Throat - Job for a cowboy
4.The Blessed Are The Sick - Morbid Angel
5.Jesus Saves - Slayer
6.No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
7.Bro Hymn - Pennywise
8.Blood In Heaven - Kataklysm
9.Apocylyptic Havoc - Goatwhore
10.Shepard's Commandment - Dying Fetus
these may or may not be in order but what ev.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.08.2011 - 04:39
Berserk
Elysium - Stratovarius
Touch of Evil - Judas Priest
Dance of Death - Iron Maiden
The Siren - Nightwish
Primo Victoria - Sabaton
Rebellion in Dreamland - Gamma Ray
Alexander the Great - Iron Maiden
Last Man Standing - Hammerfall
Dreamweaver - Stratovarius
Reformation - Amorphis

My favorite songs varry all the time... This is what they are for now.
----
Fear the Old Blood
22.08.2011 - 04:57
Metal_4Ever
Hard/Impossible to choose but those are the most I listened to them:
Ghost Opera - Kamelot
Memento Mori - Kamelot
Ghost Love Score - Nightwish
Trois Vigarus - Epica
Open Your Eyes - Stream Of Passion
In The End - Stream Of Passion
The Unforgiven - Metallica
Ich Verlesse Heut' Dein Herz - Lacrimosa
The Clown Is Dead - Axel Rudi Pell
Blue Eyes - Within Temptation.
03.07.2012 - 20:24
Mad Arab666
From the top of my head

Watain - waters of ain
Draconian - death come near me
Deathspell omega - jubilato deo
Hypocrisy - alive
Fields of the nephilim - She
Opeth - April ethereal
Monolith deathcult - demigod
Nightwish - romanticide
Ensiferum - smoking ruins
Rotting Christ - Santa muerte

There probably more but this is what I came up with now.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
06.07.2012 - 15:57
LichBorne
Random Order:
01. Dante's Inferno - Iced Earth
02. One - Metallica
03. 2 Minutes To Midnight - Iron Maiden
04. Raining Blood - Slayer
05. Angels Don't Kill - Children Of Bodom
06. 5 Minutes Alone - Pantera
07. Twilight Of The Thunder God - Amon Amarth
08. Dance Of Death - Iron Maiden
09. Painkiler - Judas Priest
10. Mirror, Mirror - Blind Guardian
09.07.2012 - 17:23
helofloki
Damn this is a tough one! I refuse to order these.

Pain of Salvation 'Used.' It's the song that got me into their music and it never gets old for me. I was immediately struck by the seemless change between verse and chorus from heavy to melodic, and then the vocal harmonies are absolutely superb. The progression to a heavier second verse just effective and the build at the end, well. That build at the end is one of the best in music. Beginning with the sad mellow solo. So elegant, with beautiful guitar tone. Then the backing vocals come in while Daniel Gildenlow just flat out shows off. The range at the end, from absurdly high to gruffly low, damn.

Tool 'The Grudge.' This song is the first I ever heard with 'light' chugging. Chugging is almost always combined with powerful violent drums. Here it is used as a build, an almost tribal percussive sound. It's such a nice touch. The bass is used liberally, but again in a lot of non traditional ways, taking the melody while the guitar holds the rhythm. And the drums. The drum work here is just spectacular, so controlled and yet powerful. In the end what makes this song great, besides bad ass riffs, kick ass vocals and a wonderful pulsing groove, is the way each instrument plays an important roll. All get the spotlight at some point and all no when to back off. Instrumentation a classical composer would be proud of.

Pig Destroyer 'Junkyard God.' Man this song is freaking devastating. The unassuming, yet ominous drum solo at the beginning kind of throws you. Then, that extra heavy riff followed by insane grind, an almost progressive bridge and a monstrous breakdown finish. This song just features so many of the things I love about this band. J.R. Hayes' tortured vocals and uniquely horrific yet personal lyrics. Scott Hulls amazing and furious riffage. And Brian Harvey, no longer in the band, really destroys it on drums. They really have unmatched energy. I love these guys.

Deathspell Omega 'A Chore for the Lost.' What an epic. The musicianship of this band is absurd. It goes from a bizarre swampy opening, to black insanity and finishes with that beautiful cosmic explosion of melody at the end. These guys really are head and shoulders above other black metal acts (and I really do love black metal). They have the evil sound that's for sure, but they are also techincal without sounding like they're pushing it. Instead, the technicality is natural, it feels like how the song is supposed to be. There are no thrown in solos or random proggy sections. It just so happens to get the perfectly satanic sound they have to play techincally and progressively.

Absu 'A Shield With an Iron Face.' This is just a great band. As far as thrash and death metal goes, this is band is my favorite culmination of it. A lot of people like to call these guys black metal, but the only real semblance I can make is that Proscriptor has a high voice and that they where corpse paint. Otherwise, this sounds like thrashy death metal to me. But man, the drums, the song construction, the build, these guys have it all and they really know how to pack it into a song. Tara was such a perfect culmination of this and 'A Shield With an Iron Face' I feel really represents the whole album. Truly, the best part of Absu is the drums. They have awsome riffs, catchy vocal lines and absurdly long song names, but more than anything else, they have drums. Proscriptor speaks with those drums. He takes the reigns of the music and tells you a story like no other drummer in metal. This song is just one of many examples, with its breakneck pace, its clever creativity, its change in rhythms, but it is my favorite expression of this.

Opeth 'Ghost of Perdition.' Out of all of Opeth's illustrious catalog I surprise myself with this pick. It's a more recent song as far as Opeth goes, but damn if it doesn't kick ass. That opening is fantastic and the awsome just continues. Opeth knows how to write an epic and develop a nice long theme in a creative way, I feel like this was their fullest culmination. Start to finish just a complete and bad ass work.

Nevermore 'The River Dragon has Come.' This is a great song. Jeff Loomis is a bad ass and Warrell Dane's bizarre vocals really kill it. It's nice and heavy as per usual, but every single riff is catchy. Plus, Loomis' simple solo is just perfect. Instead of showing everything he can do and he can do a lot, he calmly just plays a scale over some heavy guitar. This is just a nicely put together metal song.

Iron Maiden 'The Evil That Men Do.' Of the ultra popular, ultra influential metal bands out there, Iron Maiden is my favorite. Much like what I was mentioning with Tool, they use every single instrument to its full potential. Also, like Opeth, they know how to construct an epic song and develop a theme. This isn't one of their more epic songs, but it still kicks a lot of ass. I could have mentioned ten different Maiden songs, they have so many great ones. There's not a lot to say about this band that has not already been said.

Nile 'Masturbating the War God.' Epic, technical, chaotic and brooding. It's my favorite Nile song and my favorite death metal song. I love the vocals on this. They sound like a low dry conjuring. And the drums, a great example of Nile's gruesome devastation. It just sounds like the music is opening a dark portal in the earth and leading us into some entombed abyss where horrific gods will consume us indifferently. I often feel similarly with Morbid Angel's music, but I like Nile's style more, especially on their first two albums.

Fates Warning 'Guardian.' What a classic anthem. I wish Jon Arch was with the band for longer. The operatic style is so great here. I also like that there's a little bit of darkness in these riffs. Perhaps not the darkness of evil or black metal, but maybe instead the darkness of space. The darkness of possibility. This song is campy in a creative and kickass way. The first progressive metal band and still one of the best.
11.07.2012 - 19:18
Aristarchos
1. Manowar - Courage. So sad and uplifting at the same time.
2. Europe - Seven Doors Hotel. One of the first power metal songs - and the best.
3. Iron Maiden - Revelations. Maiden has so many songs which deserves to be here that it was hard to choose one.
4. Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls. One of the best riffs ever, and a fantastic bass intro by Cliff.
5. The Crown - The Black Heart. Something like a death metal ballad. I haven't heard anything like this before. Both beautiful and brutal.
6. Black Sabbath - N.I.B.. I love the chorus.
7. Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers. How heavy metal should sound.
8. In Flames - Behind Space. Their most death metallic song, and their best.
9. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys. There are not many 13+ min songs I feel enjoyable all the way.
10. Nifelheim - Sodomizer. My favourite black metal song. It's so fast and evil, but still so melodic.

Edit. I realized I missed Venom's "At War With Satan". It deserves to be on the list. I also think Blind Guardian's cover version of Queen's "Spread Your Wings" deserves a mention. Probably the only Queen cover that is better than the original.
12.07.2012 - 01:50
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
Not in any particular order.

Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary
Sepultura - Lobotomy
Wehrmacht - Crazy Ways People Die
Slayer - Dittohead
Suicidal Tendencies- Institutionalized
Megadeth - In My Darkest Hour
Kreator - Riot of Violence
Death - Lack of Comprehesion
D.R.I. - Thrashard
Pantera - Becoming
06.09.2012 - 08:03
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Not in any order (except number one):

1. And Then There Was Silence - Blind Guardian - As I said above, this is my favorite song of all time. It features everything that I love about music, epic choruses, quiet sections, an adventurous progression (as if telling a wild and thrilling story), Hansi's magnificent vocals, and every band member overall at the very top of their game. The way this song is constructed and performed is flawless, it is highly dynamic, highlighting the soft moments alongside the heavier parts. You just have to listen to it yourself, this song is an eargasmic event!

2. Wind of the Night Forest - Drudkh - One of the most hypnotizing songs i have ever heard, the almost ten minutes that go by feel more like four minutes, it's so good.

3. The Smoke - Amorphis - one of the catchiest songs in existence, I never get sick of singing (and growling) this in the car!

4. Hessian Peel - Opeth - one of the more diverse (and creepy songs) I have heard in this band's catalogue. It has everything I love about Opeth, beautiful and soft clean sections, and amazing build-up to the heavier sections.

5. A Trace of Blood - Pain of Salvation - first PoS song I have ever heard, it is quite a tragic and beautiful song.

6. The Great Escape - Seventh Wonder - the longest song I have ever heard at 30 minutes, but it never feels like it for a second.

7. Blood Fire Death - Bathory - I always feel like going to war with the song playing in the background.

8. Thorns of Crimson Death - Dissection - one of the more climatic songs I have heard in extreme metal.

9. Carrier of Echoes - Fen - heavy when it needs to be, and romantically soft later on, only to build up brilliantly back to the heavy.

10. Servant of Sorrow - Swallow the Sun - wonderfully melancholic and heavy song.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.11.2012 - 10:25
ijcobra
1. Ensiferum - Eternal Wait. The...most...epic...song...ever!

2. Wintersun - Battle Against Time. I love how the music reverses itself at 4:08.

3. Tyr - Ragnarok. Really pulls together a great concept album for a climatic ending. Runner up: Ormurin Langi. My kids even like that one!

4. Be'Lakor - From Scythe to Sceptre. Or Outlive the Hand. Very musical death metal from Australia.

5. Mayhem - Completion in Science of Agony (Pt. 1). The guitars sound like saws and it just sounds like WW3.

6. Rotting Christ - Ten Miles High. An instrumental, and a bit out of character for RC, but badass like most all their stuff. RC will be the preferred soundtrack if I ever have to battle an army or orcs.

7. Windir - Journey to the End. I hope this is what it sounds like when my spirit leaves my body.

8. Burzum - Dunkelheit. Or Belus Doed. Or Glemselens Elv. Or Jeg Faller. Or Valen. Or...

9. Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace. The change at 1:23 is pure power and nirvana. I imagine lightning shooting everywhere.

10. Korpiklaani - Mettanpeiton Valtiaalle. I really dig how the song starts and ends 1 instrument at a time.

Catamenia - Coldbound has been playing in my head all day but it is too new to me to be a favorite.
12.11.2012 - 02:39
Killa Cary
1. In Flames - December Flower -Towards the rich archaic heavens!

2. In Flames - Gyroscope - Good mid-tempo groovy song. Good mix of everything. In Flames can't do wrong.

3. Korn - Thoughtless - A personal favorite. I relate a lot. It's still a kick-ass catchy song even if you can't relate yourself.

4. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death - The most fun iron maiden song. I love to play/sing the intro around the camp fire, it's fantastic to sing along with, then the shredding
kicks in and the solos leave your ass bruised, all to end so elegantly. A song that's the true definition of an "epic".

5. Blood Stain Child - Final Sky - Cool riff. It's a love song, which I typically don't like, but their japanese to english translation of the lyrics makes it very subtle and poetic, which I
liked. If you check out this song, search up the lyrics.

6. Insomnium - Down With The Sun - Pure unique style of Insomnium, there's nothing else like it. So catchy.

7. Elysian - The Climb of Fear - Heavy, melodic as fuck too. Good vocalist. I really loved this band's debut, but the vocalist left already (the band is still together, searching for another),
which is always tough to deal with.

8. Wintersun - Death and The Healing - The solo on this shit is unlike anything I've heard before. For that reason only, I replay it over and over.

9. Gojira - Backbone - Heaviest song in my possession I think. When I play it in my car, I feel tough as shit and mean-mug people around me.

10. Opeth - Bleak - My favorite Opeth song. Just second by second of perfection. A good balance of aggression and softness in the chorus.
13.11.2012 - 03:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
This is so hard I think Ive already posted here but it changes all the fucking time... well right now im into those. I wouldnt call them my all time favorite though since I cant really figure out which are my favorites ever.

1. Scum Of The Earth - Barn Burner
2. Forests Of Legend - Vektor
3. Asteroid - Vektor
4. Conjuring The Cataclysm - Revocation
5. Heresy - Paradox
6. Skeleton On Your Shoulder - Coroner
7. Step By Step - Forbidden
8. Covered In Sick/The Barfer - Municipal Waste
9. Downward Spiral Into Madness - Anata
10. Fracture - Insurrection
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
18.11.2012 - 03:08
QuinZ
1. Wintersun - Starchild
2. Metallica - Blackened
3. Dark Tranquility - Lethe
4. Death - Bite the Pain
5. Ensiferum - Deathbringer from the sky
6. Judas Priest - Painkiller
7. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
8. Slayer - World Painted Blood
9. Machine Head - Halo
10. Iced Earth - Anthem
18.11.2012 - 03:32
Crucifux
Account deleted
Don't think I could accurately pick 10 favorites out of the 400 or so I have. But here goes:
Cryptopsy - Phobophile
Sigh - Vanitas
Opeth - April Ethereal
Morbid Angel - Pain Divine
Bal-Sagoth - Callisto Rising
Månegarm - Den Dödes Drömmar
Rhapsody Of Fire - Rage Of The Winter
Hate Eternal - Behold Judas
Edge Of Sanity - Enigma
In Flames - Stand Ablaze
06.10.2014 - 04:06
Creativinity
I favor anything symphonic, so it will be a bit biased:

Diablo Swing Orchestra - JUSTICE FOR SAINT MARY (a holiday should be named after the ingenuity of these guys)
Dark Lunacy - THE FAREWELL SONG (if you listen to their entire death album, "The Diarist" you will cry)
After Forever - DREAMFLIGHT (bye, earth, I'm going to my own world, now, it was nice while it lasted)
Lacrimosa - HINGABE 1: SACRIFICE (whoa, apparently I floated away to heaven and it is gorgeous)
SepticFlesh - OCEANS OF GREY (okay, I'm back, I don't know what to feel: is pretty, is harsh, is painful, is fearful, is euphoric)
In Mourning - CONVERGENCE (damn, nature, you scary)
Sirenia - MERIDIAN (I'm going to need to lie down for a bit, I might go into shock with again all the feels)
Visions of Atlantis - SEVEN SEAS (saddest song I've ever heard)
Myriads - THE SANCTUM OF MY SOUL (this will be my wedding song, it's just haunting perfection)
Ayreon - LIQUID ETERNITY (I can't help it, the 2 best vocalists in the world just happen to sing an entrancing duet together)
06.10.2014 - 06:27
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 06.10.2014 at 04:40

Written by Guest on 12.07.2012 at 01:50

Not in any particular order.

Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary
Sepultura - Lobotomy
Wehrmacht - Crazy Ways People Die
Slayer - Dittohead
Suicidal Tendencies- Institutionalized
Megadeth - In My Darkest Hour
Kreator - Riot of Violence
Death - Lack of Comprehesion
D.R.I. - Thrashard
Pantera - Becoming

Best list here.

I tried a list but it's too hard.

Thanks man, yeah it sure is hard to come up with only 10, those are pretty much just what were at that moment. It changes all the time.
06.10.2014 - 09:39
no one
Account deleted
I like how boxcar put beastie boys and pennywise

damn i have shit tastes compared to everyone on here even though most of these lists a years old
11.11.2014 - 08:01
lessar
I tried a list but I like "Where Dreams Go To Die" From: 'Queensrÿche' click
14.11.2014 - 04:09
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Berserk on 22.08.2011 at 04:39

The Siren - Nightwish

Interesting choice! I love this song, though I don't feel that most people recognize it as one of their best. Of course, Nightwish has MANY "best" songs, but still. The Siren is a bit different than the others, and one of their best uses of the Marco/Tarja team vocals. The lyrics are creepy and the mood is pulling in a different directions than most of their tunes. It holds a special place in my heart as well
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.11.2014 - 04:15
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.09.2012 at 08:03

1. And Then There Was Silence - Blind Guardian - As I said above, this is my favorite song of all time. It features everything that I love about music, epic choruses, quiet sections, an adventurous progression (as if telling a wild and thrilling story), Hansi's magnificent vocals, and every band member overall at the very top of their game. The way this song is constructed and performed is flawless, it is highly dynamic, highlighting the soft moments alongside the heavier parts. You just have to listen to it yourself, this song is an eargasmic event!

Great description - and I agree 100%. Eargasmic indeed! Night at the Opera is not my favorite BG album by far, but this song is easily my favorite from their entire output. LOL if I'm running late or short on time I'll often put THIS song on as my "timer." I know how it goes and that I have (almost) exactly 14 minutes; I'd better be out the door by the time it's over
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.11.2014 - 08:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Susan on 14.11.2014 at 04:15

Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.09.2012 at 08:03

Great description - and I agree 100%. Eargasmic indeed! Night at the Opera is not my favorite BG album by far, but this song is easily my favorite from their entire output. LOL if I'm running late or short on time I'll often put THIS song on as my "timer." I know how it goes and that I have (almost) exactly 14 minutes; I'd better be out the door by the time it's over

Thanks! It's actually been a while since I went back to that song (which I should do soon). It might be a bit lower on my list these days after listening to Crimson I and II by Edge of Sanity (I consider those to be two huge songs), but I still love that song a lot, it's BG at their finest (excited for the new album in January ).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.11.2014 - 11:57
Ganondox
I'll try:

1. Crawl Through Knives - In Flames
One of the best riffs ever. Ander's vocals are also very evocative here, and it's got a nice solo, dynamics and whatnot. Don't really have much more to say about it.

2. Chop Suey - System of a Down
Not really that great when rated as metal song specifically, but it's a great song in general. The opening sitar melody is epic, and it's got nice dynamics throughout the song, it's neat how the chorus is actually the softer, but still more emotionally intense part, and the execution is very different than in metalcore, making for a very unique song. The lyrics appear to be nonsensical, but actually turn out to be quite profound and really good.

3. Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden
My personal favorite song by Iron Maiden is probably actually The Evil That Men Do, but I really can't place anything which makes the song particularly special, and I think Fear of the Dark is more deserving of the title of Best Iron Maiden Song. The song is the most well known song from their 90's material for good reason, and is a favorite during live performances. The song is notable for it's softer intro displaying a gruffer a vocal style, but the rest of the song is even more fantastic. It displays an awesome riff and vocal melody, and it also has a great, if a bit drawn out, guitar solo. The lyrics are also noteworthy, being more confessional than Iron Maiden's standard fair of material inspired by classic literature, with an enduring, almost childlike quality to their concept.

4. Oblivion - Mastodon
After a distinctive, almost hypnotic opening riff, the song kicks into force. The song has great interplay between the three vocalist, Brent's part in the chorus sounding particularly good. However, Brann's part is really what's important due to his personal connection with the song. Lyrically, the song functions dually as both the opening to really out-there concept album and an immensely personal song about the Brann's sister, Skye, who committed suicide, making it have some of the best lyrics in metal. The guitar solo is also really neat,

5. Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver - Judas Priest
Technically two different songs, but they are being put together as the songs are clearly meant to be listened together, and alone neither one works as Dreamer Deceiver isn't really metal and Deceiver is sorta mediocre on it's own. Together they definitely become a greater whole. Anyway, Dreamer Deceiver displays one of the most impressive vocals performances ever in rock, and it's. Despite being utter nonsense, the lyrics sound nice as well. As for Deceiver, while being one of the worst tracks on Sad Wings of Destiny by itself, it's still a decent track, but when treated as part of Dreamer Deceiver it stands as an epic climax to an already great song.

6. Pushit - Tool
Another song that seems a bit out of place on a list of best metal songs specifically, but is still a great song. Maynard delivers a killer vocal performance on this song, I think it might be his best anywhere and as Maynard is my favorite vocalist that's really saying something, and the lyrics are also really great: ambiguous but deeply meaningful, intellectually complex but emotionally resonating. The instrumental shouldn't be dismissed either, that atmospheric, hypnotic riff driving most of the song being one of the most unique riffs I've ever heard, and the song goes through several mood changes as well, with heavier parts, softer parts, and all sorts of other neat things going on. My only complaint about the song is the bridge is a tab bit longer than it needs to be, pushing the song to be over ten minutes, but the song is so good it can be listened through without losing focus.

7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Like many, if not most, Black Sabbath songs it has a ton of awesome riffs, but there are a few other things which make this stand out over other Black Sabbath songs. For one, Ozzy actually sounds like he is a great singer on this song when he delivers the opening melody. Second, once again this a song with great dynamics. The chorus is softer and jazzy, but after the solo the song moves into what I have once seen considered to be the first breakdown a metal: a crushingly heavy riff which drives the climax of the song. A really underrated song.

8. Through the Fire and Flames - DragonForce
Really the song, while being one of the best of DragonForce's material, isn't that spectacular, but it's reputation as the result of Guitar III transcends it. The song has become the cultural embodiment of power metal, taking cheesy epicness to logical extreme. Despite the technical wankery of the guitar solo, the song still manages to bring emotional impact, at least partly due to the other vapid fantasy lyrics.

9. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
Another song which is here because of it's cultural impact. The song stands as one of the few metal songs with widespread cultural acceptance, making it's opening riff iconic. And damn is it a good riff. It's not the best metal song ever, but it's the best metal song that you sing or play part of it to a friend who is not a metalhead and reasonably expect them to join in.

10. One Wish - Tarby
The song isn't actually out yet, but if this preview is anything to go by, I'm certainly going to put it here.
29.12.2014 - 13:25
1. Victorious March - Amon Amarth
I listen to this song every time I have to face something, SATs etc. Such an epic song.

2. Incarnated Solvent Abuse - Carcass
Great intro, sick lyrics. It's my favourite song from my favourite Carcass album.

3. Cenotaph - Bolt Thrower
An anti- war song with great lyrics by the best British Death Metal band.

4. Lost In The Twilight Hall - Blind Guardian
Lord of the Rings, Kai Hansen. Enough said.

Other songs I can't explain (sorry):

5. Battle Hymn - Manowar
6. Heavy Metal Breakdown - Grave Digger
7. I am the black wizards - Emperor
8. Exiled Archangels - Rotting Christ
9. Antikrist - Dimmu Borgir (the original)
10. NIB - Black Sabbath
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter