Metal Storm logo
Is there a "World greatest metal band"

Original post

Posted by arwestromen, 18.07.2010 - 16:06
What I mean with the topic is is there a metal band that are above every other metal band out there
If you think you know the answer describe why you think this band are the #1 band...and please don't take an underground band that only you and three other knows about.
I want serious answers why you think the band is on top of the metal mountain, is it because of their music, fan size, live shows, record sale, popularity, legacy etc
29.04.2011 - 19:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Author on 29.04.2011 at 19:39

Written by Guib on 29.04.2011 at 19:17

Written by Author on 29.04.2011 at 19:16

The best band ever is DragonForce.

Lol you can't be serious tell me this is a joke so I can't sleep better

I'm super cereal.

Arggg to hell with you lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
29.04.2011 - 23:40
arabconstruct
I consider all bands as the best bands in the world because they know how to entertain people in a unique way.
05.05.2011 - 19:55
BrokenKnuckles
C'mon Guys... The worlds greatest metal band is Dethklok! DUUUUURRRR
20.05.2011 - 14:05
Razorback
Metallica for achieved so much,James has one of the best voices i ever heard,also Pantera,they had strong energy,they lived metal,and had the best guitarist in a whole world!
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 16:29
Yasmine
*Facepalm*
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.05.2011 - 19:45
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Garm is pretty amazing.
22.05.2011 - 21:55
Metal_4Ever
KAMELOT... because it "was" had best vocalist (Roy Khan) and best drummer (Casey Grillo) and best keabordist (Oliver Palotai) that is my opinion..
22.05.2011 - 23:25
Derek Smalls
I don't think there can be a single greatest metal band. In some ways, Iron Maiden is the best. In others, Metallica takes it. Of course Black Sabbath can get some votes. And there are tons more bands that could be listed. One cannot declare a single band to be superior to all other bands, for there are numerous variations on what makes one band better than another.
----
"Music is like candy, you're supposed to throw out the rappers."
22.05.2011 - 23:32
king_matt
There can't be a world's greatest metal band as it is all a matter of opinion.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.05.2011 - 23:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Agreed with K_M, everyone has their own "greatest band" and even if a majority of the world agreed on one band over the rest, that's still a subjective agreement.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2011 - 00:05
Yasmine
Indeed, There can not be a world's best bands, saying I like this musician so he's the best is subjective too.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
23.05.2011 - 13:39
tuthitamlut
In my opinion, Black Sabbath
27.05.2011 - 01:14
ADIresiduos
IMO there are several # 1 metal bands in the world. Currently I would say: Kiss, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Balck Sabbath (Ozzy), Iron Maiden, the big four of thrash, because of their musical legacy, sales, fame. Now, talking about more recent bands, maybe Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai. I know a lot of people will have their own personal tastes which will differ from mine, but we got to admit that these bands are among the best well known, listened, talked about in the world. Like the original post stated, we shouldn't post names of bands which are only known by a handfull fo people. That would be for a thread on which they would ask for your favorite band, even if only you and three more guys know them.
27.05.2011 - 04:24
Metal_4Ever
Written by Yasmine on 23.05.2011 at 00:05

Indeed, There can not be a world's best bands, saying I like this musician so he's the best is subjective too.

I didn't say KAMELOT is the best because..... just, I said that's is my Opinion and of course everyone have his own opinion...
27.05.2011 - 06:47
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I think the greatest metal band can appeal to all major musical avenues. You need to be heavy, melodic, powerful, subtle, ambient, fast, slow, moderate, progressive, simplistic. It needs to be everything to be the greatest and I'm not sure that will ever be accomplished. However Opeth has taken great strides.
27.05.2011 - 20:17
GroundZero
Every band is far from being the "greatest metal band", thats sounds like an utopia and it's very subjective.

For example, old guys will say the greatest band is Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, no very old guys that's Iron Maiden or Megadeth, and teenagers that's HammerFall, Rhapsody or Korn.

In my opinion, there are bands more remarkable than others and it depends on your likings which are in turn influenced by the place you live, age, education, environment, etc...
27.05.2011 - 20:27
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well just take a look at careers, not necessarily your favorite band.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.05.2011 - 08:57
Yojimbo
I have to say Iron Maiden.

They've appealed to their fanbase and new listeners for 30 years and they were never really a band that got airplay, so nobody can call them sellouts. I think they're the most iconic metal band, in terms of influence and consistent quality. You can argue Black Sabbath against that, but really that's it. And that's Black Sabbath with Ozzy which isn't currently active. Iron Maiden have an enormous fanbase judging from concert popularity, so I have to go with them.
28.05.2011 - 10:01
It's all a matter of opinion.

There probably is a "world's greatest band" in terms of popularity, but you'd have to poll every single metalhead out there.
Heck, if you asked me I couldn't even peg a band as world's greatest, because I have at least four or five bands that I consider to be my favorite.
28.05.2011 - 11:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Yojimbo on 28.05.2011 at 08:57

I have to say Iron Maiden.
,...and they were never really a band that got airplay,...

Yes they were, they got loads of airplay around Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.05.2011 - 12:04
ANGEL REAPER
Well how to say this? there is nothing like "world greatest metal band".....but there is Iron Maiden and the rest of the crowd.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.05.2011 - 16:35
Sophist
There's a world greatest metal band, just do a survey of the whole population that listens or listened to metal and ask them the question, the band with the most votes wins.
Piece of cake.
28.05.2011 - 18:08
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Sophist on 28.05.2011 at 16:35

There's a world greatest metal band, just do a survey of the whole population that listens or listened to metal and ask them the question, the band with the most votes wins.
Piece of cake.

I'm sure we are good on all that work, but if you want those answers go for it. That project is all yours.
29.05.2011 - 00:05
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Whichever band YOU like the best, is the worlds greatest band. It's different for everyone.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
29.05.2011 - 01:04
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Sophist on 28.05.2011 at 16:35

Piece of cake.

quite tipical answer for a sociologist....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.05.2011 - 02:28
Metal_4Ever
Written by Death To Posers on 29.05.2011 at 00:05

Whichever band YOU like the best, is the worlds greatest band. It's different for everyone.

Yeah,, that is what I would say it
29.05.2011 - 02:36
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Iron Maiden is the closest to. But it's impossible to find a GREATEST band. Metal is so varied that you can't choose it. IMO it should be a Heavy band. Of course, I won't put some Brutal Death Metal up here.
29.05.2011 - 08:59
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Avenged Sevenfold
30.05.2011 - 16:32
arwestromen

I'm sorry but that sounds so...retarded to say...no....childish to say
"I think this so therefore this is the right answer and everyone else who things otherwise is wrong"
I want realistic sugestions...think outside your own music taste and look at the "facts" that could make a band "the best metal band.....in the world"

I have like four bands that I think could be that band...I m a fan of one of them and the rest is just there because of their influence, music, popularity etc

Iron Maiden, Number of the beast, Run to the Hills, Wasted years etc
Judas Priest, Breaking the Law, Living after midninght, Painkiller etc
Metallica, Master of Puppets, Enter Sandman, Nothing else Matters etc
Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell etc
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
30.05.2011 - 20:39
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by arwestromen on 30.05.2011 at 16:32

I'm sorry but that sounds so...retarded to say...no....childish to say
"I think this so therefore this is the right answer and everyone else who things otherwise is wrong"
I want realistic sugestions...think outside your own music taste and look at the "facts" that could make a band "the best metal band.....in the world"

I have like four bands that I think could be that band...I m a fan of one of them and the rest is just there because of their influence, music, popularity etc

Iron Maiden, Number of the beast, Run to the Hills, Wasted years etc
Judas Priest, Breaking the Law, Living after midninght, Painkiller etc
Metallica, Master of Puppets, Enter Sandman, Nothing else Matters etc
Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell etc

Think you misunderstood the concept of what I was trying to say or maybe need to brush up on your english a bit.

The point I was trying to make is that you SHOULDN'T care what people think and just listen to what you like. Quite the opposite of what you implied I was trying to state.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.