Metal Storm logo
Favourite Albums Of 2010

Original post

Posted by , 08.09.2010 - 16:16
Curious to see what are everyone's favourite releases of the year so far (with descriptions please). Still have a few months to go with some very promising upcoming stuff but nowt wrong with keeping a running total.

Some of the very best and most impressive I've heard so far in no order:

Demiurg - Slakthus Gamleby
Bloodbath meets Edge Of Sanity. Old school death metal with a progressive bent; plenty of synths and clean vocals and a pristine production.

TenHornedBeast - Hunts & Wars
Incredible war themed drone and dark ambient from England. Huge, ominous soundscapes of deathly nothingness.

Cathedral - The Guessing Game
In a complete change of pace Cathedral unleash two CD's worth of psychedelic stoner doom that would make a fitting soundtrack to The Wicker Man. A bit of a polarising number.

Winterfylleth - The Mercian Sphere
Continuing the trend of English pagan black metal, the newest release of this band merges a smattering of post-rock and more contemplative atmosphere to create a worthy sophomore record

Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence
Everyone likes jazz and metal and Yakuza exemplify the sound of smoky jazz bars and harsh hardcore infused metal and the result is a complex and expansive musical journey.

Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber I
The ever revolving BaN strike again with death-infused primal black metal, all the while maintaining their own unique signature sound. I love BaN.

A Forest Of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves Of Spring
Another impressive follow up to a highly acclaimed album. Very sophisticated and unusual atmospheric black metal characterised by the use of violin in a most effective manner. Just as good as the debut.

Menace Ruine - Union Of Irreconcilables
Mixing neo-folk, drone and noise, Canadians Menace Ruine carve a bit of a niche for themselves in the construction of opposing genres. Not for everyone but interesting if nothing else.

Fear Factory - Mechanize
Possibly their greatest album since Demanufacture? Altogether great song writing and worth hearing for the track Christploitation which could mark the future of the band.

Ramesses - Take The Curse
Comprising ex members of Electric Wizard you'd expect something excellent from this. And excellent it is. Electric Wizard meets Acid Witch: thick black psychedelic sludge with a 70's horror movie theme.

Killing Joke - In Excelsis
Don't really know how I feel about this yet. I like it a lot but the change in sound from the previous albums threw me a little so reserving judgement until the full length

Castevet - Mounds Of Ash
Highly original extreme progressive metal mixing black metal, hardcore and some compelling rhythms make this a firm favourite of mine.

Valborg - Crown Of Sorrow
Haven't listened to this very much yet but I know I like it. Progressive death metal with a variety of other dark nuances thrown in.

Integrity - The Blackest Curse
Extremely angry metalcore, but not metalcore as most people know it. Proper hardcore brutality with a bunch of thrashy numbers and surprisingly complex.

Knut - Wonder
They've toned down the noise since Challenger but the technical prowess on display on this sludgy hardcore record is truly bewildering.

Luasa Raelon - Vampyr: Light Of The Beast
Crap album name, awesome pulsating dark ambient and death industrial from Coldspring.

Robedoor - Burners
One of the ultimate drone/noise monsters get back on form with a concoction of world music spliced with droning feedback. More levels than Tetris.
20.12.2010 - 21:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
4 more albums I really enjoyed:

The Shadow Theory - Behind The Black Veil - Devon Graves project, great album IMO

Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens - great progressive rock, reminds at times of Riverside.

Black Country Communion - Black Country - great super group, including Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals, Jason Bonham on drums, Derek Sherinian on keyboards and Joe Bonamassa on guitar.

Sunchild - The Wrap - amazing prog rock, may appeal to progressive metal fans as well.
21.12.2010 - 06:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'm still fucking around with mine and need to here the new Procession. the lower half of my top 10 is still largely up for grabs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.12.2010 - 14:13
RavenKing
This year sucked. Lets hope 2011 will be much better.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.12.2010 - 17:56
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2010 at 09:52

Written by Mikyz on 20.12.2010 at 09:32

Okay here is my official top 10 of the year.

1-Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
2-Hooded Menace - Never Cross The Dead
3-Procession - Destroyers Of Faith
4-Alcest - Écailles de Lune
5-Necrite - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
6-Kvelertak - Kvelertak
7-Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
8-Place of Skulls - As A Dog Returns
9-Spüolus - Beyond the Event Horizon
10-Mar De Grises - Stream Inwards

5 out of 10 are also in my list
it's 4 out of 10 for me, but I still have yet to hear the new Procession and Place Of Skulls. I enjoyed this years' releases a lot
----
loves 小巫
21.12.2010 - 22:46
ForeverDarkWoods
Virginia based band Satan's Satyrs have released one excellent demo and one excellent EP this year. Some kind of blackened doomy heavy metal/punk.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.12.2010 - 15:29
Daniell
_็ˆฑๆƒ…_
Elite
I doubt I will hear anytihng within the next few days, so here is my top 10 of 2010:

1. Enslaved "Axioma Ethica Odini" - the pinnacle of progressive black

2. Overkill "Ironbound" - had it been released in the 80's, it would've become an evergreen thrash classic

3. Ophis "Withered Shades" - modern extreme doom at its best

4. Byfrost "Black Earth" - thrash and black blended in perfect proportions

5. Mar De Grises "Streams Inwards" - the future of progressive doom lives in Chile

6. Nevermore "The Obsidian Conspiracy" - I'm the only person who puts this over TGE!

7. Eibon "Entering Darkness" - the title says it all, almost literally

8.Hooded Menace "Never Cross the Dead" - this one took me to the early 90's with its mix of the heavy and the catchy

9. Deathspell Omega "Paracletus" - a bit less brilliant than expected, but still at sky high level.

10. Fungoid Stream "Oceanus" - one of the weirdest metal bands took me for a tripped out ride again
24.12.2010 - 17:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I can think of a few contenders for my album of the year and a some others that I liked:

1. Rosetta - A Determinism of Morality
2. Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
3. Ihsahn - After
4. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
5. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
6. Fading Waves - Please Wait
7. Death Angel - Relentless Retribution
8. Haken - Aquarius
9. The Ocean - Heliocentric/Anthropocentric
10. Year Of No Light - Ausserwelt
----
rekt
24.12.2010 - 17:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Don't know how I'm to figure out a top 10 especially as I have a bunch of stuff to listen to yet. It won't feature a huge amount of black metal though that's for sure surprisingly. Will most likely be filled up of doom and I still need to figure out if Ufomammut and Cough are deserving of places, as well as Procession and Place of Skulls when I finally listen to them.

To be honest there's probably been a bunch of interesting underground black metal floating around that I've not had the energy to hunt down. There was that great spacey black metal band that Lucas informed me about that I've forgotten the name of. Might not have been released this year anyway. Regardless, most black metal has either been massively disappointing or just "ok" variations of the whole post-rock/punk/metal theme that's so popular right now which ranges from pretty decent (Winterfylleth), competent but boring (Lantlos, Alcest) to the atrocious (Drudkh). None of it is particularly award winning though.

Enslaved, Barren Earth, Ion Dissonance, The Meads of Asphodel, Blut Aus Nord, Coffinworm and probably a bunch more will be competing with many of the ones I already mentioned.

The top 5 will probably be something like Igorrr, The Meads of Asphodel, Cathedral, Demiurg and TenHornedBeast I would surmise. A weird top 5 that's fo' shizzle.
26.12.2010 - 13:19
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I am unable to grasp the whole year because my memory doesn't reach that far. But the albums that tend to come to mind, most of them quite recent, are:

Urfaust - Der freiwillige Bettler
I've always loved Urfaust. This one didn´t amaze me as much Drei Rituale jenseits des Kosmos did but it still surpasses most of the releases I've heard this year.

Electric Wizard - Black Masses
Again, not my favorite from them but a solid release nonetheless. Well, actually Scorpio's Curse and Satyr IX do belong among my favorite Electric Wizard songs now. I kinda hoped that Venus in Furs would be a cover but no matter.

Igorrr - Nostril
My favorite from them, I guess. Many thanks to !J.O.O.E.! for mentioning this artist.

Akitsa - Au crépuscule de l'espérance
Probably my most listened black metal band this year. This album may be a bit too clean when compared to their best work but it is still great. Much much love.

All in all, I really didn't follow what was released this year, preferring oldies. From non-metal albums (well, Igorrr isn't either but at least it has some influences), I'd like to mention:

Twin Shadow - Forget (a nod to the eighties, has much romantic appeal)
Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer (belongs here already due to the title)
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (kinda unoriginal choice but this band truly is brilliant)

An honorable mention:

Salem - King Night (at least the first song is superb, should also appeal to metal fans)
26.12.2010 - 15:42
Aristarchos
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Still going strong!
26.12.2010 - 17:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Flotsam & Jetsam - The Cold and Forbidden - Omega Wave - two very good come back albums IMO, especially The Cold which I for one enjoyed a lot.
26.12.2010 - 17:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 26.12.2010 at 13:19

Igorrr - Nostril
My favorite from them, I guess. Many thanks to !J.O.O.E.! for mentioning this artist.

Woo! It took me longer to fully appreciate it compared to Moisissure but that's probably because I had no expectations with that one because it was totally unexpected whereas the new one was hyped up in my mind rather a lot. There's no other bands that combines baroque, death metal, breakcore, witch house and God knows what else in the space of a single song.

Like you though my attention on music this year was pretty limited. I did barely any exploring, relying on bands I already loved to release stuff I would listen to.
26.12.2010 - 18:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 17:53
baroque, breakcore, witch house

Ummm....... Que?

Shit... Please tell me you make up those genres in an ironic way.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 18:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2010 at 18:10

Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 17:53
baroque, breakcore, witch house

Ummm....... Que?

Shit... Please tell me you make up those genres in an ironic way.

Lol no, baroque as in classical baroque, breakcore which you MUST have heard of, pretty well known genre: Venetian Snares? And Witch House which to be fair is a very recent invention and is basically a modern deviation of Dubstep (far more interesting and less cheesy than Dub in my opinion, probably best if you YouTube it). It has other names too, my favourite being Ghost Drone, though it has nothing to do with drone as we know it.
26.12.2010 - 18:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 18:17

Lol no, baroque as in classical baroque, breakcore which you MUST have heard of? Pretty well known genre: Venetian Snares? And Witch House which to be fair is a very recent invention and is basically a modern deviation of Dubstep (far more interesting and less cheesy than Dub in my opinion, probably best if you YouTube it).

Yeah... I had my thoughts about the baroque, no questions there, not fucking clue about Witch House (I do remember something about House though).... and Breakcore.... emmm, no dude, what makes you think I know that stuff? I usually just laugh at the fact that there's too much music labeled as -core so I can't take that name seriously, what's next?... Piecore?
Ups.... Too late

I tried their myspace and well... It's weird shit. Some moments were ok but sometimes it was just bad. No offense but this is exactly the sort of music that 75% of the fans just pretend to like so they can look smart or something....

I preffer Igorr's myspace friend though, WHOURKR....
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2010 at 18:29

Yeah... I had my thoughts about the baroque, no questions there, not fucking clue about Witch House (I do remember something about House though).... and Breakcore.... emmm, no dude, what makes you think I know that stuff? I usually just laugh at the fact that there's too much music labeled as -core so I can't take that name seriously, what's next?... Piecore?
Ups.... Too late

I tried their myspace and well... It's weird shit. Some moments were ok but sometimes it was just bad. No offense but this is exactly the sort of music that 75% of the fans just pretend to like so they can look smart or something....

I preffer Igorr's myspace friend though, WHOURKR....

WHOURKR and Igorrr are the same artist ;] and I don't agree, it's a pretty typical metaller's reaction to choose the spastic, heaviness of WHOURKR over the more considered intelligence of Igorrr. Don't get me wrong the WHOURKR project is great but a dead end musically whereas Igorrr has virtually no boundaries after giving it its due consideration.

Also the "core" in breakcore has nothing to do with metal or punk, and again it's only the insular fanbase of metal that would regard it in such a manner or have a problem with genre tags =P don't confuse the breakcore fanbase with the mentality of metallers, the vast majority of them don't give a crap about internet perception, most of them just wanna take ketamine and dance to some phat beatz which is why Igorrr stands as an important outfit as far as I'm concerned. The artistic use of breakcore isn't common.
26.12.2010 - 19:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 18:41

WHOURKR and Igorrr are the same artist ;] and I don't agree, it's a pretty typical metaller's reaction to choose the spastic, heaviness of WHOURKR over the more considered intelligence of Igorrr.

The lats part was so subjective... Even though it is mixed quiet nicely. I don't see THAT much intelligence in Igorrr (seriously, how many Rs exactly?)

Quote:
Don't get me wrong the WHOURKR project is great but a dead end musically whereas Igorrr has virtually no boundaries after giving it its due consideration.

I can barely stand that music for 2 hours, so don't really care about the dead end thing.

Quote:
Also the "core" in breakcore has nothing to do with metal or punk, and again it's only the insular fanbase of metal that would regard it in such a manner =P don't confuse the breakcore fanbase with the mentality of metallers, the vast majority of them don't give a crap about internet perception, most of them just wanna take ketamine and dance to some phat beatz which is why Igorrr stands as an important outfit as far as I'm concerned. The artistic use of breakcore isn't common.

This has nothing to do with what I think as a metalhead (which for your info I barely think I am), I just think the core as a name has been overused... Just the name. I'm not confusing things here. Also... I don't like dancing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 19:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
But at the same time you don't strike me as someone who would be that into the kind of music that Igorrr pushes either. The amount of 'r's featured in the band name is pretty irrelevant. Deathspell Omega are widely regarded to be amongst the most intelligent metal bands of modern times but they're still called Deathspell Omega which has to be one of the shittiest most unimaginative names in music history. Doesn't matter though. Igorrr's intelligence stems from not only the absurd technical ability of the artist but his understanding of musical structure and his ability to splice together dozens of musical styles and genres into a 45 minute record whilst making it sound coherent and listenable (on that point you'll just have to take my word, but he's received some serious praise from those with who concern themselves with the style.)

Even as a long time listener of the band I had to listen to the new one a lot before I started seeing it as one whole picture and the few times I'd listened to the odd songs on the Myspace did little for me, of all the bands that don't translate to odd songs Igorrr has to be at the top of pile.

And regarding the "core" thing I just meant that only a metaller would worry his or herself over its overuse. As I said though breakcore is a long and well established subset of music with a distinctive style so I don't think its use should be problematic. After all it's totally separate from metal. For instance there's a genre called "hardcore" (also used in Igorrr's work) that has nothing to do with hardcore punk.
26.12.2010 - 19:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 19:14

too long to post, meh.

The dude is talented I give you that and I can see why someone would enjoy Igorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(...)rrrrrrrrr(hehehe...)rrrrrrrr... it's not for me though.

I still can't get this statement "only a metaller would worry his or herself over its overuse"
What? No... For me it doesn't have to do with music or if it has to do with metal or not. I just think people can be a bit more creative to make up a name, that is all. Don't overanalyze stuff like that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 19:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2010 at 19:35

Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 19:14

too long to post, meh.

The dude is talented I give you that and I can see why someone would enjoy Igorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(...)rrrrrrrrr(hehehe...)rrrrrrrr... it's not for me though.

I still can't get this statement "only a metaller would worry his or herself over its overuse"
What? No... For me it doesn't have to do with music and if it has to do with metal or not. I just think people can be a bit more creative to make up a name, that is all. Don't overanalyze stuff like that.

Well breakcore has been around since the early to mid nineties so I think they're exempt. Anyway Witch House and Ghost Drone are great names for a genre, what more do want brother? In my experience only metallers moan about genre names, as well as people making up new ones which is pretty ironic as metallers generally do their fair share making up and mixing genres.
26.12.2010 - 19:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 19:42

is pretty ironic as metallers generally do their fair share making up and mixing genres.

Yeah... I disalike that too, Vampiric metal was something weird the first time I heard it.
But yeah, if breakcore was an old term then I do think it's fine.

Fuck it, Let's just listen to some music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 19:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2010 at 19:50

Fuck it, Let's just listen to some music.

I agree! Although actually I have a friend (who listens to pop) who objected to all genre tags and was fond of making up ridiculous ones like "pulsewave post-neocore". It shocked to him to learn there was an actual genre called Batcave. I don't think he ever recovered from that.
26.12.2010 - 20:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 19:57

It shocked to him to learn there was an actual genre called Batcave. I don't think he ever recovered from that.

.... Oh man.... No.... I have to google the shit out of that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2010 - 20:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.12.2010 at 20:16

Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 19:57

It shocked to him to learn there was an actual genre called Batcave. I don't think he ever recovered from that.

.... Oh man.... No.... I have to google the shit out of that.

I think DerRozz could probably give you an accurate description of it. I think it has to do with a club that spawned the early goth rock scene or something.
27.12.2010 - 13:13
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
A late addition:

Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids
Not perfect but has some kickass tracks, especially In tha Park and the opener. Otherwise the year in hip-hop wasn't that interesting.
27.12.2010 - 13:51
King Bonzo
Written by John Barleycorn on 27.12.2010 at 13:13

Otherwise the year in hip-hop wasn't that interesting.

Did you not pick up Liar and A Thief by Diabolic? Best written rap I've heard in, literally, decades.
27.12.2010 - 14:22
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
@King Bonzo: Thanks for mentioning it, gonna check it out. As I said, I don't really follow any genre very closely to have full knowledge about the most recent stuff. Not even black metal which is by far my favourite of metal genres.
27.12.2010 - 14:48
King Bonzo
Written by John Barleycorn on 27.12.2010 at 14:22

@King Bonzo: Thanks for mentioning it, gonna check it out. As I said, I don't really follow any genre very closely to have full knowledge about the most recent stuff. Not even black metal which is by far my favourite of metal genres.

Well I gave up on rap until I heard this album, seriously good stuff, 12 shots is a masterpiece of writing IMO
27.12.2010 - 15:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Some people need to read the title of the forum it seems It clearly says "General Metal Forum" so if you want to discuss best non-metal albums please do so in the "General Music Forum"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2010 - 15:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'd just like qualify my earlier thread hijacking and say that the Igorrr album has a fair amount of metal in it ;]