Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - Another News Update

As promised by drummer Kai Hahto last weekend, an official update from the Wintersun camp has hit the interwebs. Here goes:

"Hi everyone! It's been a while.

I've been working very hard with the synths & orchestrations and I can finally say that I'm feeling very positive about finishing this long and gruesome task by Christmas. So hopefully around the end of December I can finally start mixing the album. I still have a few vocal parts unfinished, but I will be singing them meanwhile I'm mixing.

The only problem about the mixing is that my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects. And the other problem is that I have no money for new gear. So we have discussed about this problem with our label & management and they have agreed to help us with an advance to buy new and more powerful computer gear, but only if we agree to play a few shows and show people that Wintersun is still alive. So after carefully weighting all the different possibilies, we think we need to play these shows to help the completion of the album.

The shows will be for now: Metalfest (3 shows: Helvetia, Austria, Germany) and Metalcamp (1 show).

There's lot of work and preparation to do for these shows, 'cause we have to update our live gear as well, sort out technical difficulties and of course rehearse the songs. This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule, so I can't give any predictions with that yet. I also need to try out the new computer gear first and see how it handles these projects. The software is still not 64-bit, so the "infamous 4GB RAM limit" might also be a problem with the mixing, since these projects already eat about 3GB without any plugins. But I will do my best to overcome this challenge the fastest way I can.

And no worries, these shows will definitely not be cancelled. So we are looking forward to you guys, see you at the gigs! Who knows, we might even play a one new riff... I mean a song! "

[Also thanks to amarchand and moe5512 for sending in this news!]

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 17.11.2010 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 75   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 538 users
17.11.2010 - 18:56
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
They just sound like a bunch of whiners when they do these updates
17.11.2010 - 18:57
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
"I'm feeling very positive about finishing this long and gruesome task by Christmas."

Long and gruesome?

Guy just sounds like he's being forced to work on this. I dunno. I like to think that musicians should... you know... enjoy the music-making process. :/
17.11.2010 - 19:28
Stigmatized
Makes you wonder if they couldn't have done any of this sooner.
17.11.2010 - 19:28
Varegan
Hamranakara
I can't even imagine that his fuckin problem is his compter's RAM! :O he is just exaggerating about how big is his production.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
17.11.2010 - 19:48
Windrider
Raureif
We should start a program and everyone gives Jari 10 euros so from the thousands he finally can buy a new pc... I simply dont get why the label doesnt give them a few thousands... I thought they had enough of it... But all in all goooooood news ;-)
17.11.2010 - 20:12
Valddan
I'm just happy for earing this news. Finally we have some confirmation that Wintersun is not dead.
17.11.2010 - 20:22
zsz
I heard that the actual release date is two days after Duke Nukem Forever gets shipped.
----
My mind is sharp, like a razors edge, my soul's gone mad.
17.11.2010 - 20:23
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Quote:
Hi everyone! It's been a while.

I have been waiting for this statement for 6 f*ing years!!! HELL YEAH!!
17.11.2010 - 20:37
MeloDeathViking
I feel like the second half of the statement nullified everything the first half said haha

First half: we are making good progress, things look good
Second half: all of our progress is theoretical, things look iffy, and it's still gonna be atleast another year a while until this album is released

I am so confused haha
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.11.2010 - 20:44
csiga
Munin
News of the year
----

i survived the lake bodom!
17.11.2010 - 20:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by csiga on 17.11.2010 at 20:44

News of the year

If by "News of the Year," you mean "replace the words Duke Nukem Forever with Wintersun," then yes.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.11.2010 - 20:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I'm going to have a permanent red mark on my face from facepalming if there are too many more Wintersun updates this month...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
17.11.2010 - 20:56
Elodie Artour
Slania
Jeez... The guy sounds so pathetic!

@Ghru-akal: You're totally right, dude. He's just whining and exaggerating in order to make an excuse. Damn Wintersun...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
17.11.2010 - 20:58
Dark Blood
The Avenger
When I read Wintersun on the main news page I thought I was dreaming... "Wintesun news? What, these guys are still alive?!" lol
Then I thought they were going to announce a release date or something, and that album was already recorded...
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.11.2010 - 21:01
Folkbill
Good news!
----
--Non So Bill.
17.11.2010 - 21:03
Somehow the managed to have the most anticipated album of 2006, 2007, 2008. They lost all credibility since. I have mixed feelings about this: between betrayed, uncertainty and exited at the same time
I honestly don't know whats happening with them, and i think they need technological counseling from an expert. If what they are doing need memory or CPU intensive tasks, they can rent servers like in Amazon EC2, or rent a server with a local host service, that kind of services are cheap.
Probably im just talking nonsense
17.11.2010 - 21:07
ruffio
"This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule"

I love how they try shifting the blame onto the label requiring them to play a few shows. No new album or tours after so many years does give the impression it's not a serious band anymore. You cant blame a company for being reluctant to put money into something like that without at least some strings attached.
17.11.2010 - 21:17
"my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects"

I'm really struggling to understand what is it about his project that's so "insanely huge" - if its because it's got a tonne of orchestrations and about a hundred tracks per song, that won't be very differnt to what a lot of other bands are doing nowadays, who don't happen to be having these problems
17.11.2010 - 21:20
Got Mayhem?
"...So hopefully around the end of December I can finally start mixing the album."

"...This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule, so I can't give any predictions with that yet."

Does this guy even pay attention to what he writes?
----
17.11.2010 - 21:28
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
At what time does posting the same update 4 years in a row become self-plagiarism? Or does the time lapse between these updates make it ok to write the same thing over and over?
17.11.2010 - 21:46
YoreLore
Wow he sounds like its a chore to write and record a new album and also to play some live shows for the fans. If its a chore then dont be a musician for a living...
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
17.11.2010 - 21:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Massive lol at Wintersun & Jari. The dude's an epic troll.

Seriously though, releasing one run-of-the-mill, mediocre album and convincing half a continent it's pure genius and then taking forever to release a second album... epic troll.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.11.2010 - 22:31
Urizen367
Ya know. if they used audacity, recorded, and released the album 3 years ago, i probably wouldnt be losing as much faith as i am with Wintersun. Jari, just release the damn thing.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
17.11.2010 - 23:09
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Lucas on 17.11.2010 at 21:55

Seriously though, releasing one run-of-the-mill, mediocre album and convincing half a continent it's pure genius and then taking forever to release a second album... epic troll.

I really hope his second album is just one giant hoax and he's just roflcoptering at everyone clinging to his every update. I predict in five years, when the album still isn't out, he comes out and says he was never recording and spent all the money on hookers and coke.
17.11.2010 - 23:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcus on 17.11.2010 at 23:09

Written by Lucas on 17.11.2010 at 21:55

I really hope his second album is just one giant hoax and he's just roflcoptering at everyone clinging to his every update. I predict in five years, when the album still isn't out, he comes out and says he was never recording and spent all the money on hookers and coke.

That will be the day I die laughing.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.11.2010 - 23:50
TheFuzz
You should go to their official website where all updates concerning "Time" are published (on the main page). It's like reading a blog of a mentally retarded person.
17.11.2010 - 23:58
ablis1337
You guys are really bitter.
----
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone"
18.11.2010 - 00:00
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I truly hope 2010 doesn't claim a victim that would further delay Time. Eventhough that would give them an excuse to never release Time!
----
18.11.2010 - 00:55
RavenKing
Written by zsz on 17.11.2010 at 20:22

I heard that the actual release date is two days after Duke Nukem Forever gets shipped.

I really laughed at this joke.

By the way, if orchestrations and shit are so much of a problem, just ditch them. Metal only needs guitars, bass, drums and vocals to be great, after all. In fact, the best metal music is the one not using all those useless artifices.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.11.2010 - 00:56
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by MeloDeathViking on 17.11.2010 at 20:37

I feel like the second half of the statement nullified everything the first half said haha

First half: we are making good progress, things look good
Second half: all of our progress is theoretical, things look iffy, and it's still gonna be atleast another year a while until this album is released

I am so confused haha
how can you be confused? The take home message is that they need time (sorry about the rehashed-a-billion-times pun)
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 8079 | This month: 15