Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Roy Khan Leaves The Band, Seek Replacement (UPDATED)

Original news, published on 22.04.2011

Despite Kamelot themselves not announcing it, Roy Khan has issued a statement on his Myspace confirming the rumors of him leaving the band:

"Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan"

UPDATED, on 22.04.2011 (Thanks to Zhao)

The remaining members of Kamelot have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's frontman, Roy Khan:

"With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer.

"The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process" - adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. "I have a few guys in mind", said band founder Thomas Youngblood. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person". Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

* The band headlines the Print de Temps Festival tonight and will play a Amsterdam (nearing sold-out) concert tomorrow followed by a full headliner tour with special guests Evergrey, Amaranthe and Sons of Seasons. (* Guest vocalists Fabio Lione and Tommy Karevik). Thank you for your support and see you on tour!

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean"

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.04.2011 by Zhao

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 724 users
22.04.2011 - 15:35
TemplarLS
SUCKS (((((((((((((((((
22.04.2011 - 15:35
MechanisT
Account deleted
Man, there goes two of my favourite bands from the US of A, the other being Nevermore. Even if they continue, Kamelot will never ever be the same again. At a loss for words.
22.04.2011 - 15:38
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
)=
Have not seen them live!!! I'm so sad now
----
loves 小巫
22.04.2011 - 15:38
Enissa
OMG, wht the hell??? Im so saaaaad...this is my fav band and vocalist...
22.04.2011 - 15:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Worst news in this year. I wish him all the best, hope he'll find his peace of mind.
----
7.0 means the album is good
22.04.2011 - 15:41
SceneryOfLoss
It's officially the "leave the metal band week"...
22.04.2011 - 15:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
April Fool's is long gone... all these departures are kind of surreal. What's going on?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.04.2011 - 15:50
*!*
WTF!!! Nevermore then this!!!! the fucking end of the fucking world is coming....:S
22.04.2011 - 15:54
RavenKing
I saw this one coming from very far.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.04.2011 - 15:55
John Sandman
What the hell... What a week...
22.04.2011 - 15:57
Eddie Misery
Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 15:35

Man, there goes two of my favourite bands from the US of A, the other being Nevermore. Even if they continue, Kamelot will never ever be the same again. At a loss for words.

Same here man..damn, this just sucks. :/
22.04.2011 - 16:02
*!*
Written by K✞ulu on 22.04.2011 at 15:45

April Fool's is long gone... all these departures are kind of surreal. What's going on?

+1
22.04.2011 - 16:06
Danyael
The real question is: WHY?
22.04.2011 - 16:11
serega25
No... :(:(
22.04.2011 - 16:13
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
22.04.2011 - 16:31
MeloDeathViking
FUCK!! I never got to see them live, and seeing them without Roy just isn't the same. I know they were a band without him once, but I think at this stage it might be time to throw in the towel.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
22.04.2011 - 16:44
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I don't get it. I just don't get it. Priest, Nevermore, Kamelot, ...

I don't get it.
----
22.04.2011 - 16:53
Enissa
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.04.2011 at 16:13

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.

I dont think so, coz he used to put a large cross around his neck (I saw that in the booklets)...
22.04.2011 - 16:58
kaos666
I think we all saw this one coming more than Loomis and Williams, but I am still so sad about it...
22.04.2011 - 17:10
Iriki
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
22.04.2011 - 17:12
Dargor
From all the singers in the universe of metal, I think that Roy Khan was the only one I really cared for.
Kamelot without him will surely never be the same.

I'd like to see if they can come up with someone as good as Khan, but i'm extremely skeptical.
22.04.2011 - 17:13
seafood
, I was going to see them in may but with Roy leaving.. don't really know if it's worth it now.

Btw, kinda funny if you look at last 4 news posts.. looks like a new trend.
22.04.2011 - 17:16
Jiri
At least he hath found God now.
22.04.2011 - 17:18
morsus
Fake? wtf nevermore AND kamelot? seems a little bit too much
22.04.2011 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't think he FOUND God - to my knowledge he's been a religious man for a while.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.04.2011 - 17:41
Kamil
Account deleted
Damn, sad news today.
22.04.2011 - 17:55
Elodie Artour
Slania
That has already been clear enough during the last few months. Always sad to hear such news, though. Wish him luck in his future projects!

@Seafood: Haha, indeed.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
22.04.2011 - 17:58
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Kamelot never kicks anyone out of the band. Same situation with all the previous members.
22.04.2011 - 18:08
The Voyager
The Table
This is awful. First Nevermore, now this. Two of my favorite bands killed in the space of a day. I don't care who they get to replace Khan, it just will not be the same. His voice is Kamelot to me. This is awful.
22.04.2011 - 18:47
Necrodamus
Great vocalist, such a shame.

Hits total: 33113 | This month: 31