02. Ego
03. New World Shadows [feat. Dan Erland Swanö]
04. Soul Journeys
05. Nova Flame
06. An Infinite Mind
07. Watcher Of The Skies
08. The Distance
09. Deep Cold

I know, very few albums deserve the rating you can see on the left, but trust me, I could only think of two or three more that would. Omnium Gatherum have showed me another dimension of metal music that is both strange and awesome. New World Shadows cannot be compared to other bands or albums. Of course I could name a few out of the melodic death and gothenburg genre, but even if I would, one could not even think of how this record sounds like. People have to listen to it, there is no other way to explain the music, since it is that complex and original. Hailing from Finland, Omnium Gatherum created their final breakthrough with New World Shadows, a nine-song album that runs for about 52 minutes.

I think the best way to describe this album is to do it by its single parameters and instruments, because there are especially three things what make this album new and unique. At first, the keyboards are not as much in the foreground as usual and do not often play the lead melodies. They rather work as a foundation together with the bass and the vocals. Yes, this marks the second special, the vocals growled by Jukka Pelkonen. His voice is very deep and his tone does not often change, that is why his vocals often work like a rhythm guitar. Where his vocals are missing, like in the wonderful instrumental "Watcher Of The Skies," a second guitar fills the gap, which is not always there during sung parts. And now we have reached the third aspect, we only have one guitar player in Omnium Gatherum. His name is Markus Vanhala and he is the mastermind of all the music. It is mainly his lead guitar riffing that dances above the base of drums, bass, keyboards and vocals.

The guitar riffs reach from edged dissonance to catchy and harmonious anthems. Especially the palm muted melodies like in "Soul Journeys" contain both aspects at the same time. Concerning the vocals one can hear that although they sound dark like hell itself they still contain harmony in it and a dignified character. This may be a result of either technique or talent, but in any case makes me say that Jukka Pelkonen has the only death metal voice that I could think of in an opera because of its glorious sound.

Overall this album has it all and shows it all. Omnium Gatherum have turned the way of songwriting in melodeath and show a new style that foreshadows like a new world. It builds from a heavy and dark foundation, contains vocals that sound better than a human could do and guitar melodies dancing above the atmosphere. Sounds like your usual gothenburg metal? It is not! Originality is the keyword of New World Shadows and every second is worthy. Some may laugh but I think others do understand when I call this a new era and say: Welcome to the death metal opera!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Windrider | 07.05.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 386 users
07.05.2011 - 19:14
warrior_of_ice
Couldn't agree more
07.05.2011 - 19:46
MechanisT
Account deleted
I was going to write a review for it man, you beat me to it! Good job, though. Agreed on the general description, though the rating's a bit high in my opinion. Though I wouldn't go as far as calling it "generic", the originality does not deserve a 10 by any means. Excellent album, one of the great surprises of the year, and a strong contender for album of the year.
07.05.2011 - 20:19
Rating: 10
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Guest on 07.05.2011 at 19:46

Though I wouldn't go as far as calling it "generic", the originality does not deserve a 10 by any means.

Haha funny I was about to include a sentence "This album is the opposite of being generic" but I deleted it due to the word limit. I wanted to explain the 10 in originality with it, but nevertheless thanks for your comment
07.05.2011 - 20:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I ignored the initial hype surrounding this before giving it a listen, but even then it wasn't anything remarkable. Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 from me, it's pretty run-of-the-mill keyboard-laden melodeath.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2011 - 06:20
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
10 is a little high there. I listened to this and it was pretty average. The Red Shift was better and their first album was the best.
08.05.2011 - 13:09
Rating: 9
neonxaos
I agreee with most of this, but the vocals drag the overall thing a little down for me. Perhaps it's because I've been listening to Monolith by In Mourning at the same time - really impressed with the growling there. Anyway, some people seem dissatisfied with the lack of an in-your-face wow factor on this release. All I can say is that this is an album about pervading atmosphere, not godlike shredding. The technique at display here is still mindblowing to me, but in restraint rather than excess. At first listen, you may get the "typical melodeath" vibe, but it really is much more. And OG simply know how to put together something that just sounds awesome and keeps sounding awesome after many listens. Highly recommended.
08.05.2011 - 20:43
chaosscizzors
Account deleted
This album is an '8' at best. i really don't see where you're getting your conclusions.
09.05.2011 - 10:12
BehzadSh
I think 10 is a little high, But "New World Shadow" is the best album of "Omnium Gatherum"
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
10.05.2011 - 11:03
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.05.2011 at 06:20

10 is a little high there. I listened to this and it was pretty average. The Red Shift was better and their first album was the best.
I thought the redshift is better too. Have yet to hear their debut...
----
loves 小巫
10.05.2011 - 22:23
Vikingr
Excellent Album, well deserved of the 10
11.05.2011 - 00:16
The Voyager
The Table
I just kind of noticed this review, and I have to say, this is getting kind of ridiculous. A 10 for originality? A 10 for songwriting? A 10 overall? Come on. This is getting to be one of the most overhyped albums in recent memory. Only one off the top of my head that I can think of that beats it is Wintersun.
11.05.2011 - 01:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by The Voyager on 11.05.2011 at 00:16

I just kind of noticed this review, and I have to say, this is getting kind of ridiculous. A 10 for originality? A 10 for songwriting? A 10 overall? Come on. This is getting to be one of the most overhyped albums in recent memory. Only one off the top of my head that I can think of that beats it is Wintersun.

What about The Great Mass?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2011 - 02:30
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2011 at 01:18

What about The Great Mass?

I thought The Great Mass was an excellent album. Do I think it's the 69th greatest metal album of all time (or whatever it is right now)? Absolutely not. But I think it's a damn good album. Not 10 out of 10 material, but more deserving of the praise it's getting than this album is, in my opinion. Still a little overblown though, definitely.
11.05.2011 - 16:40
Windrider
Raureif
Written by The Voyager on 11.05.2011 at 00:16

Well I think this is even (slightly) better than Wintersun, 'cause here is nothing (really NOTHING) I can think of that could have been made better, and even in Wintersun there are some passages or even single notes that could sound a tiny bit better. New World Shadows is a great example of how (metal) music should be, different songs with intros, outros, changing passages, catchy refrains, heavy and haunting melodies and even some with two different refrains.
Btw there is a new article which I would recommend to many of you: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=920
11.05.2011 - 17:34
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Windrider on 11.05.2011 at 16:40

Well I think this is even (slightly) better than Wintersun, 'cause here is nothing (really NOTHING) I can think of that could have been made better, and even in Wintersun there are some passages or even single notes that could sound a tiny bit better. New World Shadows is a great example of how (metal) music should be, different songs with intros, outros, changing passages, catchy refrains, heavy and haunting melodies and even some with two different refrains.
Btw there is a new article which I would recommend to many of you: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=920

To be honest, saying this is slightly better than Wintersun doesn't really have much meaning to me, as I think the Wintersun album is grossly overrated and entirely mediocre. I just don't see what's so special about this album, and I probably never will.
17.05.2011 - 19:25
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
To be honest, your assessment of originality and complexity confuses me. This is by no means an original album to me-- albeit a sturdy album as you mention. In fact, I haven't heard an album this consistent but this unoriginal since Noumena's Absence.
17.05.2011 - 21:51
Edmund Fogg
This is a good example of non-staff review. The rating is far too high. From the fiew tracks I listened too, it sounds good but not worth a purchase and far from a perfect sound
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
18.05.2011 - 01:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 17.05.2011 at 21:51

This is a good example of non-staff review.

I'll be selfish and take that as a direct compliment. Thanks!
----
18.05.2011 - 01:40
Edmund Fogg
@troy : no problems. You should take it as a compliment and other reviewers as well. It is a serious job and demands a keen ear and a level of objectivity that not a lot of people have (me included)
----
20.05.2011 - 18:12
Spacerunner
Thanks for your review. This is my favorite album of last years. It brought me back many things that I loved so much in former melodic death.
29.05.2011 - 10:04
Mikyz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.05.2011 at 20:40

I ignored the initial hype surrounding this before giving it a listen, but even then it wasn't anything remarkable. Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 from me, it's pretty run-of-the-mill keyboard-laden melodeath.

Same here, it might be better than the usual generic BS, but it still isn't as impressive as its made out to be. There are a tons of albums that blow this one out of the water for which I didn't even give a 9/10, counting this year's releases only.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
21.06.2011 - 23:10
Parasomnia
This album kicked some ass, not your everday melodeath band. "Deep Cold" has one of the most emotion filled endings I've ever heard \m/
21.06.2011 - 23:56
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.05.2011 at 20:40

I agree.
Not bad for a boring sub-genre that is melodeath, but a hundred miles from a 10. Melodeath freaks feel free to disagree
14.08.2011 - 00:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

Don't you mean this is a BAD example of a guest review?
15.08.2011 - 04:00
Edmund Fogg
Written by Guest on 14.08.2011 at 00:33

Don't you mean this is a BAD example of a guest review?

Nah I think it's a good example of the lack of objectivity behind a lot of guest reviews
----
29.08.2011 - 21:55
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Can't agree with your rating. 10 for originality and songwriting??? C'mon try Be'Lakor's "Stone's Reach" and tell me without laughing "New World Shadows" is "that complex and original".
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.02.2014 - 19:00
Growing
Great cover.
24.04.2014 - 13:00
Rating: 7
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Well it's a good album, not a perfect one. Personally i prefer Beyond more than it.
21.05.2014 - 16:04
Wes
I might prefer beyond, but both are 10s to me.
I just started to really listen to this one, and I love it.
27.06.2014 - 05:38
Rating: 6
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Hard to accept the legitimacy of the rating of 10 for originality, when the last track (as good as it is) sounds like an Opeth rip-off and the overall album, as Troy Killjoy has said sounds like "pretty run-of-the-mill keyboard-laden melodeath". I think it's a decent enough album, and obviously you love it, but in terms of where it stands in the pantheon of metal history, 10s across the board is a bit reckless.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...

Hits total: 9981 | This month: 29