10. Stay The Course
11. Deter The Tyrant
12. Avalanche
13. Serenade Of Self-Destruction
14. Nostalgia [bonus]
15. Twin Flames [bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Sascha Paeth & Epica
Recorded at the Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany between September and November 2011
Bass Guitar recorded at The Huts Studio in Antwerp, Belgium
Piano and Key-solo recorded at CFJ Studios in Oss, The Netherlands
Engineering by Miro
Mixed at The Gate Studio & The Pathway Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, November and December 2011
Mastered at The Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, December 2011
All music arranged by Epica, Sascha Paeth, Miro and Amanda Somerville
Orchestral arranged by Miro
Vocal lines co-written by Sascha Paeth

Lyrics co-written by Amanda Somerville

Intro riff and verse "Internal Warfare" co-written by Frank Schiphorst and Jack Driessen & midpart "Deep Water Horizon" co-written by Jack Driessen

Latin translation by Gjalt Lucassen & Jaap Toorenaar

Bonus tracks:
14. Deter the Tyrant (Grunt version)(Unreleased)

Digital Version:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)
15. Twin Flames (Regular Version) (04:47)
+ Digital Booklet

Digipack:
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)
15. Nostalgia (03:26)

North America
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)

European & Japan:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)

Other versions from the album:
? The standard edition features the 13 tracks
? The CD + shirt edition contains the standard edition of the album, along with a t-shirt in the size of choice.
? The digipak edition contains the standard album and the bonus track "Nostalgia".
? The 2-LP white vinyl edition is limited to 150 copies and contains an A2-sized poster.
? The 2-LP black vinyl edition contains an A2-sized poster
? The mailorder edition, limited to 500 copies, contains a wooden box, which includes limited digipak, exclusive instrumental CD as bonus, artwork postcards and certificate.
? The American edition features 13 tracks + the bonus track Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version)
? Instrumental 2 LP version (released by Nuclear Blast on 01 June 2012)

IMPORTANT!
On a first version of the album, the song Serenade of Self-Destruction misses Mark's and Simone's vocals.
In apology Nuclear Blast released a free vocal version of "Serenade of Self-Destruction".
It is available for CD owners here:
http://www.nuclearblast.de/de/data/bands/epica/releases/track-download.html

Guest review by
PocketMetal
Rating:
Epica is back with a new album, trying to continue their success over the past years and to satisfy their many fans, even though they're not experimenting with a whole new approach this time; the result is something different from Design Your Universe.

Requiem for the Indifferent is less aggressive and more accessible, but at the end of the day it's just as enjoyable. The album has its flaws like every other Epica album, but almost every song has enough interesting moments to look forward to. It can be the professional choirs, some good riffs and solos, some well timed growls or Simone's amazing vocals. But you also have to endure the average done-to-death stuff that keep appearing throughout your lengthy listen.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2012 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
IanYeara
Rating:
So I've finally marshaled my thoughts on Requiem for the Indifferent. I love Epica, they are my third favorite band, but when I heard this album I didn't fanboy out, I just sat there in confusion unsure of what to think. What's really different about this album is that's it's not as inherently catchy as their previous material, it's slower as well and a lot more progressive. Ultimately this album really doesn't stack up to the rest of their discography and especially not Design Your Universe which is literally one song away from being perfect; they clearly decided to experiment with this album which I have no problem with, but in music one must be careful with experimentation because while in this case it's not completely disastrous it could have been so much worse. In some cases that experimentation on this album works well and it was somewhat refreshing.

Read more ››
published 23.09.2013 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
The previous Epica album, I can freely say, was a masterpiece. I read a lot of negative reviews on this album so I decided to write a review myself. Is this the weakest Epica album? Yes. Is this a bad album? No!

With this album, Epica decided to change a few things that were significant in previous ones. The album is mostly guitar-oriented; the riffs are good and heavy, but we can sense the absence of symphonic orchestra elements. Also Simone was singing mostly with a clean, non-falsetto voice, which also was one of significant factors, so I can understand why people rage over this album so much. However, Simone did heavenly good vocal melodies even without falsetto. Mark's growls were also on point.

Read more ››
published 28.04.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 118   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1324 users
09.03.2012 - 00:08
Rating: 8
Abel
Written by Unhealer on 07.03.2012 at 14:56

Going for the 3rd listen and I can tell I love the album. Nice progressive approach.
"Water Deep Horizon" is the best track by far.

Did everybody also get "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" as a instrumental? Know that it isn't supposed to be so.

how do you know "it isn't supposed to be so???" i got it instrumental, (and by that i mean the choir too; but none simone or yansem)
09.03.2012 - 02:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Abel on 09.03.2012 at 00:08

how do you know "it isn't supposed to be so???" i got it instrumental, (and by that i mean the choir too; but none simone or yansem)

Check this review. The part where it describes "Serenade" says that there are growls and Simone solo vocals.
09.03.2012 - 05:59
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Sounds very underwhelming after their last album. And progressive my foot, just because they manage to alter their sound enough to make some music distinguishable from the rest of their work doesn't make this progressive as such.
09.03.2012 - 12:22
Rating: 9
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Well, this one is a bit different to it's predecessors but I like it very much, "The Divine Conspiracy" will remain #1 Epica's masterpiece but I totally got hooked on this one... Simone's vocals are better than ever, and it's very symphonic-melodic.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
09.03.2012 - 15:42
mariano
Written by Fred on 06.03.2012 at 04:39

Toe to toe with Xandria for the "2012 Best Symphonic Metal Award"?

I think Xandria is far ahead. There is plenty of flattery in the comments I've read on that album. The only thing being criticized is that it sounds exactly like the old Nightwish -which for most that is also a positive thing.

As for Requiem For The Indifferent, I see a lot of people still debating whether it's a piece of crap or it's just Ok.
09.03.2012 - 16:05
ja-vi
Written by Unhealer on 09.03.2012 at 02:15

Check this review. The part where it describes "Serenade" says that there are growls and Simone solo vocals.

Apparently the vocal tracks are missing from "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" (at least from the US version and the European digipack version).

There is some discussion about this going on in the official Epica forum. The following was taken from there:
"Got a mail from Nuclear Blast this morning - they confirm something is wrong and they're working on how to solve the problem."

It's rather interesting how this sort of thing is even possible...
09.03.2012 - 16:21
Vonpire
O_o - Indeed, that's really weird.

Anyway, Upon first listen I liked it. Not as much as DYU but still very solid. And I believe it will grow on me upon further listens. I don't understand what (some) people are complaining about, but ok.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
09.03.2012 - 16:59
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by ja-vi on 09.03.2012 at 16:05

Apparently the vocal tracks are missing from "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" (at least from the US version and the European digipack version).

Oh, I guessed it was a problem with the cd copies. Seriously, how does this even happen?
09.03.2012 - 17:10
Abel

Written by Unhealer on 09.03.2012 at 02:15

There is some discussion about this going on in the official Epica forum. The following was taken from there:
"Got a mail from Nuclear Blast this morning - they confirm something is wrong and they're working on how to solve the problem."

It's rather interesting how this sort of thing is even possible...

THIS NEVER HAPPENS... did they missed something or forget??? was this an UPS!!!????
09.03.2012 - 17:10
annodomini
Written by Unhealer on 09.03.2012 at 16:59

Oh, I guessed it was a problem with the cd copies. Seriously, how does this even happen?

Well then we could wait for an official apologize from epica. Well They overplayed with that kind of layer by layer thing
----
the riddle wants to be...
09.03.2012 - 17:20
Abel
Written by Vonpire on 09.03.2012 at 16:21

O_o - Indeed, that's really weird.

Anyway, Upon first listen I liked it. Not as much as DYU but still very solid. And I believe it will grow on me upon further listens. I don't understand what (some) people are complaining about, but ok.

EXACTLY!!!... i listen to it just one time, it was ok (by ok i mean, it's still Epica)... like the first time i listen to The Divine Conspiracy, i really couldn't grasp it the first 2 times, but since i bought it i forced myself to keep listening to it further. in the end i loved it really. this album it's great. and I KNOW it will grow on me. i think people just need to give it more listenings and time. Design your Universe it's, for me, their masterpiece yet
09.03.2012 - 20:00
Kamil
Account deleted
The best album since "Consing To Oblivion"
09.03.2012 - 22:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Finally the full version of "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" is uploaded. Outstanding track as I thought.

Now I can say the album is excellent. I don't know yet if I personally like it more than Design Your Universe, but I think most of us can agree that Epica becomes a better band each record they release.

Written by Guest on 09.03.2012 at 20:00

The best album since "Consing To Oblivion"

This record actually reminded me to CTC! It has a similar vibe.
10.03.2012 - 06:19
dantas
IMO, Consign to Oblivion still the very best Epica album of all time. But this one surprises me. It's diferent from the others, with less aggressivity and with a bit more eletronic background (as we see in "Storm the Sorrow), that added an element that we haven't seen since "Replica" in The Divine Conspiracy. The whole album is good, but I still prefer the last one, with all that power and inovation with aggressivity and the songs's weight. I saw great songs on the album, some very good like "Deep Water Horizon" - the album best song, the instrumental-only "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" and "Deter the Tyrant", the last with a disturbingly amazing coral. Hope the next album will be more like Design Your Universe than with this one.

And what I can say about the battle with Xandria for the Best Symphonic Album of 2012, Xandria continues as lead favorite.
10.03.2012 - 23:43
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by dantas on 10.03.2012 at 06:19

I saw great songs on the album, some very good like "Deep Water Horizon" - the album best song, the instrumental-only "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" and "Deter the Tyrant", the last with a disturbingly amazing coral.

Serenade is not really an instrumental. Check the comments above.
11.03.2012 - 00:40
dantas
Written by Unhealer on 10.03.2012 at 23:43

Written by dantas on 10.03.2012 at 06:19

I saw great songs on the album, some very good like "Deep Water Horizon" - the album best song, the instrumental-only "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" and "Deter the Tyrant", the last with a disturbingly amazing coral.

Serenade is not really an instrumental. Check the comments above.

Until I check the full version, still instrumental for me.
11.03.2012 - 01:06
Diablos
Account deleted
I have listened to it a few times now, and it sounds like a really solid album. I'm haoppy, since Nightwish and Within Temptation disappointed with their latest releases.
So far the songs i have noticed the most is the bonus track Nostalgia, and the song serenade of self-destruction. Wish they had named it Symphony of Self-Destruction. Would have been a fun tribute to the song Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth
14.03.2012 - 17:45
Rating: 7
BlankFile
Its a good and solid album with excellent performances by all the musicians. Not the best album of Epica, not at all, but still a good release.
15.03.2012 - 07:48
Wes
Well, her voice is absolutely beautiful. It didn't take long for me to go back to "The Unforgiving".
15.03.2012 - 21:48
Mission not accomplished
19.03.2012 - 03:07
SymphAlchemist
Great album instrumentally talking. Simone didn't make any effort in it. Though the vocals are good, I miss her high notes. At least she won't have trouble singing these songs in live, they're a lot easier.

The songs in this album are more melodic, are not that heavy. I loved them, but Requiem didn't overcome Design Your Universe
19.03.2012 - 18:43
Vonpire
I have to agree. Simone performance on this album is weaker compared to any other one of Epica.
----
20.03.2012 - 01:06
doomarc
Requiem for the indifferent is an amazing album.It's heavy but not as Design Your Universe I think Simone's new performance is very good, because this is the way how she can sing better since she had problems with live opera performances.I liked the album, i liked the old school death riffs and growls but i wish it included a masterpiece like ' Kingdom of heaven' but there is no song like that.( It's the weakest point of the album) While they were improving their techniques of the last album, they've also turned back to phantom agony times and used so much arabesque, mystic melodies.I don't understand people wHo don't like the album.'Design your universe' was the top point of Epica, and it'S not easy to make an album like 'Requiem for the indifferetn' after DYU.
20.03.2012 - 15:55
Night Sight
I like simone new style of singing .it is better than her operatic singing. it is more natural .i think she is not strong enough in operatic singing as she is in pop singing.overall the music is not as heavy as deign your universe
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
20.03.2012 - 16:42
Vonpire
The "lol" point imo is that serenade of Self-Destruction (the song that came without vocals on cd xD) is where Simone's vocal performance is better

And I personally don't like the "pop" voice of Simone. She sing way too much in "falsetto" , and imo she just doesn't get there, being annoying even in some points.

Anyway the album is still brilliant.
----
21.03.2012 - 00:49
Wes
I'll listen to this more when I get a chance. Song writing didn't impress me on the first spin.
21.03.2012 - 15:23
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
It's pretty much a well-done album, I get all the disliking though, but it's unfair to say that this is a bad album. DYU, Divine Conspiracy and Phantom Agony sound better, I agree.. and perhaps Simone isn't performing as people were used to or did not break much limits, but she sings well here for all I care. Her voice is still powerful and charming.

Hats off to Mark, though. His riffs are well-done. Pretty much a good album, but doesn't outdo the precedents. The hate is probably all about Epica being mainstream and Simone showing off her body etc. :/
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
21.03.2012 - 19:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Vonpire on 20.03.2012 at 16:42

The "lol" point imo is that serenade of Self-Destruction (the song that came without vocals on cd xD) is where Simone's vocal performance is better

And I personally don't like the "pop" voice of Simone. She sing way too much in "falsetto" , and imo she just doesn't get there, being annoying even in some points.

Anyway the album is still brilliant.

I disagree here, Simone never sang operatic vocals correctly. She can pull it off and it may sound nice to the ear, but if you listen well she sounds like an owl; mostly on The Phantom Agony. She may have improved a bit over time, but she is doing much better with the pop-like vocals IMO, they suit her voice better.

And now that you mention the falsetto, in live performances every time she can't reach a note with her voice she does an operatic falsetto to get it.
Or she doesn't do it at all.
21.03.2012 - 19:45
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Definitely Epica's worst yet, highly disappointed. But I wasn't expecting any masterpiece from them anyway.
22.03.2012 - 17:35
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
I made a prediction that this album would not be good and I was right. I guess you can judge a book by it's cover(art) after all. Too bad, Epica used to be one of the best symphometal bands out there. I'll always love their first two albums.

Hits total: 37288 | This month: 53