06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 17 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
13.11.2013 - 06:31
Darth Revan
This album was apparently so fucking bad it killed Lou Reed. I knew straight from the cover art that this would suck ass through a straw... when you reveal lazy faux minimalistic artwork like that, it's obvious that you're going to release some weapon's grade shit. Come on Metallica, what happened to the days of Metal Up Your Ass?
21.01.2014 - 23:44
Ryan Zane
Nice try Lou Red and Metallic but definitely not what we expected we wanted a little more metallica thrush but always seeks reinvention and is not the first time that disappointed us
21.01.2014 - 23:46
Ryan Zane
Written by Ryan Zane on 21.01.2014 at 23:44

Nice try Lou Red and Metallic but definitely not what we expected we wanted a little more metallica thrush but always seeks reinvention and is not the first time that disappointed us
21.03.2014 - 22:21
Rating: 2
Erik M.
Hah! I just entered the 700th vote.

The lyrics here are laughably, horrendously, stupendously bad. Worst lyrics I've heard heard without a single doubt. Musically it's really bad as well. Btw, listened to the whole album because I felt like giving it a fair chance. Talk about wasting nearly 78 minutes. I'll never listen to this again.
22.03.2014 - 01:32
Rating: 1
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Love you Lulu!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 02:27
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by deadone on 22.03.2014 at 01:52

I am the table!

22.03.2014 - 20:48
Rating: 3
Dave FC
Written by deadone on 22.03.2014 at 02:40
So beautiful.

addictive!
03.04.2014 - 15:18
Rating: 7
Lethrokai
Not nearly the train-wreck people make this out to be. It's hardly anything special, but it's a decent album.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
03.04.2014 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lethrokai on 03.04.2014 at 15:18

Not nearly the train-wreck people make this out to be. It's hardly anything special, but it's a decent album.

It's even worse than the train wreck people make it out to be. Truly one of the very worst, if not the worst, albums ever recorded by a big name band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2014 - 15:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2014 at 15:22
Truly one of the very worst, if not the worst, albums ever recorded by a big name band.

Or any band for that matter.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.04.2014 - 15:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.04.2014 at 15:23

Truly one of the very worst, if not the worst, albums ever recorded by a big name band.

Or any band for that matter.

Not really since I would say most of Striborg's and Gallhammer's releases are maybe even worse.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2014 - 15:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2014 at 15:24
Not really since I would say most of Striborg's and Gallhammer's releases are maybe even worse.

But they're practically novelty bands, almost like they're bad on purpose. This was apparently supposed to be good, according to... well according to Metallica and Lou Reed. And I think Rolling Stone? (Probably one of the most pretentious reviews I've read for something so objectively harmful to human ears.)
----
03.04.2014 - 16:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.04.2014 at 15:29

But they're practically novelty bands, almost like they're bad on purpose. This was apparently supposed to be good, according to... well according to Metallica and Lou Reed. And I think Rolling Stone? (Probably one of the most pretentious reviews I've read for something so objectively harmful to human ears.)

Btw Lou Reed himself has recorded stuff on a par with Lulu before, just can't remember what it was called. But it was just as crap and super pretentious.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2014 - 16:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2014 at 16:04
Btw Lou Reed himself has recorded stuff on a par with Lulu before, just can't remember what it was called. But it was just as crap and super pretentious.

You're probably thinking of Metal Machine Music.

----
03.04.2014 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I think that's the one. What a truly horrendous slab of shit that was.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2014 - 16:27
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

You really don't like Gallhammer do you?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.04.2014 - 16:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 03.04.2014 at 16:27

You really don't like Gallhammer do you?

I am genuinely baffled by the fact that there are people out there that actually like that horrendous marketing trick.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2014 - 16:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
At least Metal Machine Music was influential and somewhat pioneering, if not that great by today's noise standards. The Venom of noise, perhaps.
03.04.2014 - 16:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2014 at 16:34

I am genuinely baffled by the fact that there are people out there that actually like that horrendous marketing trick.

Marketing? Just because they are g00rlZ?
Metallica is a marketing trick =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.04.2014 - 17:02
Lethrokai

Written by Lethrokai on 03.04.2014 at 15:18

It's even worse than the train wreck people make it out to be. Truly one of the very worst, if not the worst, albums ever recorded by a big name band.

Eh, that's just your opinion, I guess. I just don't get so much of the hate this thing gets. Lou Reed is an eccentric guy, and has released worse than this. His vocals here are weak, but I don't feel it affects much seeing as a lot of it is spoken word.

Also, I actually quite liked Metallica's backing to the music. Especially in songs like Pumping Blood, where they really work well at raising the tension, creating a great dissonant build-up that I didn't really think Metallica had in them. Heck, I even think that this album may have been one of the only times I've ever enjoyed Lars' drumwork. He's still doing the basic stuff people expect from him, but at least he's being a bit more creative here.

To be honest, I've always found it quite weird that I like this. I can't stand a lot of Lou Reed's stuff (you were raising a damn good point with Metal Machine Music; that was bullshit), and I ain't exactly one to call myself a "fan" of Metallica either. Most of their stuff is just "alright", and this album to me is no different. (Heck, I actually prefer a lot of their backing riffs to this album over quite a good amount of their discography.) But this album just isn't that bad for me.
----
03.04.2014 - 17:21
Vombatus
Potorro
Agree with most of Lethrokai's post. I'd pick this over dozens of other metal albums, and even if bad it's still the most enjoyable and daring thing Metallica has done in a loooong time.

I think it suffered too much from the internet syndrome, where people were already calling it the worst thing ever before hearing it and all the memes/stupidities that rapidly took over the attention, instead of the music. The immense hype did not help either.

In the end it's just Metallica fooling around with their instruments and a scared old man speaking non sense over a microphone (or lyrics supposed to be very metaphorical), so not necessarily "da worst thing eva ! He iz a table lulzyy w00t !!1!!11" . Some of the instrumental parts are enjoyable but overall it's too long and not consistent enough, and something just plain bad.
03.04.2014 - 17:23
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 03.04.2014 at 16:38

At least Metal Machine Music was influential and somewhat pioneering, if not that great by today's noise standards. The Venom of noise, perhaps.

Lou Reed was a fabulous and incredibly influential musician, it's just a shame that this is what he'll be remembered for by many...
03.04.2014 - 17:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
The only thing Metallica can hide butt for this piece of crap is they did for Lou Reed. It was few months back Lars came on Reddit and went one on one with fans' gruesome questions(nearly half of them was about "Dude, what the hell was Lulu?). He painly said "Metallica was plannin' to do something DIFFERENT and that's where Lou knocked our door. So 5 HEAVYWEIGHT sat on and decided to record new album and that's where LULU came upon".

Well, whatever the fuck it is, at last it came from Metallica studio.
03.04.2014 - 17:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 03.04.2014 at 17:23

Lou Reed was a fabulous and incredibly influential musician, it's just a shame that this is what he'll be remembered for by many...

His Transformer album and work with Nico was pretty stellar stuff.
03.04.2014 - 17:59
Lethrokai
Written by Alex F on 03.04.2014 at 17:23

I really doubt that, tbh. It may be that way for a lot of metalheads who don't even know what his work is, but almost everyone who actually knows his work will remember him for The Velvet Underground & Nico album.
----
03.04.2014 - 18:34
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Lethrokai on 03.04.2014 at 17:59

I really doubt that, tbh. It may be that way for a lot of metalheads who don't even know what his work is, but almost everyone who actually knows his work will remember him for The Velvet Underground & Nico album.

Thing is a collaboration with Metallica doesn't expose you to metalheads only, being one of the most mainstream rock bands. And your average metalhead doesn't give a fuck about "the banana album" anyway, hence the numerous hate comments when he died
03.04.2014 - 19:13
Lethrokai
Written by Unhealer on 03.04.2014 at 18:34

Written by Lethrokai on 03.04.2014 at 17:59

Thing is a collaboration with Metallica doesn't expose you to metalheads only, being one of the most mainstream rock bands. And your average metalhead doesn't give a fuck about "the banana album" anyway, hence the numerous hate comments when he died

Eh, trivial matters... In the end, it's his remembrance among the fans that matters.
----
06.09.2014 - 16:52
Kennoth
I'm genuinely disappointed that Hetfield is not listed as "the table" in the line-up.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.09.2014 - 18:59
Rating: 6
FatihBatur
Not bad.
06.09.2014 - 20:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by FatihBatur on 06.09.2014 at 18:59
Not bad.

DOES NOT COMPUTE
----

Hits total: 80322 | This month: 191