Metal Storm logo
80s Thrash Metal

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 27.09.2006 - 04:39
This thread is dedicated to the 80's Thrash metal scene,primarily underdog groups.This thread isn't meant to decide who the greatest thrash group was or is. Just to talk about bands you are interested in,what albums you consider to be classics, and so forth.A very unnapreciated group with one of THE greatest thrash albums ever released is Dark Angel,"Darkness Descends" was an instant favorite when I heard the opening riff for the first song.One other group I really enjoy is from the late 80's,went by the name of Evildead,they were among the few that had originality in their music at the time,they weren't just another Thrash group.I have only heard their debut "Annihilation Of Civilization",but "Underworld" is also a classic from what i've heard.Viking,Sacred Reich, Whiplash,and Exciter also kick ass.
16.10.2008 - 15:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 16.10.2008 at 01:30

Marcel - Thank's I try those unknow bands out in morning , and those what Ricco post in list are / was great bands, seems non are active nowdays(only Helstar and FnY)

Heathen and Toxik are both active again as well. And Heathen will be releasing a new album soon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2008 - 15:13
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Haven't read through this thread so i apologise if this isn't true of here but there seems to be a fashion nowadays for forgotten, third-rate thrash and old school death metal bands. It's a pity that anything rare or old and generic has instant cult status because usually the reason it's been forgotten is because it wasn't of any worth to begin with.

I wonder if in 15 years, the piss-poor generic "metalcore" clones that are loathed today will have the same cult status. Thrash died for a reason.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
16.10.2008 - 18:04
Hellish Star
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2008 at 00:57

Written by Bad English on 16.10.2008 at 00:48

SINDROME I dunno it and cant find nothing about it
SACRILEGE BC - dunno
TARGET - You talk about Belgain band if yes I didnt like it when listened, it was so bad like Annihalator
CHANNEL ZERO - Dunnno

I am in a generous mood, so I am helping you out...

Sindrome were a great thrash band that only released two demos which can be downloaded OFFICIALLY from their website here

Sacrilege BC Great California thrash band more info here

Yes he was talking about the Belgian Target and no they are nto bad they are GREAT, great technical thrash and can't be compared ot Annihilator at all for it is totally different thrash.

Channel Zero are also a Belgian thrash band that sound a bit like Pantera more info here

There's a CD from those demo's from SINDROME available, although hard to find

About CHANNEL ZERO: first album sounds more like FORBIDDEN (their best album)

About TARGET: I'm desperatly searching for their cd "master project genisis"
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
16.10.2008 - 18:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If Channel Zero sounds kike Forbbiden first one(I had tape) then I will like that band,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2008 - 13:16
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Searching for this album : Malachai - Could you Stand the Pain?

Please upload it and let me know
07.11.2008 - 03:49
Demonmayonnaise
Written by -tom- on 16.10.2008 at 15:13

Haven't read through this thread so i apologise if this isn't true of here but there seems to be a fashion nowadays for forgotten, third-rate thrash and old school death metal bands. It's a pity that anything rare or old and generic has instant cult status because usually the reason it's been forgotten is because it wasn't of any worth to begin with.

I wonder if in 15 years, the piss-poor generic "metalcore" clones that are loathed today will have the same cult status. Thrash died for a reason.

Thrash isnt dead. And to be honest I think thrash is the best sub-genre of metal there is. prick
07.11.2008 - 20:59
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

man really i can't understand what you want to say. if it's that i don't speak perfect english i'm sorry but can you explain that again???
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
07.11.2008 - 21:52
routa
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 07.11.2008 at 03:49

Thrash isnt dead. And to be honest I think thrash is the best sub-genre of metal there is. prick

Thrash as a mainstream genre died when grunge took over. Of course it never disappeared complitely.
And there's really no reason for personal insults if someone voices an opinion contradicting with yours.
31.03.2009 - 02:15
Vizz666
Account deleted
Thrash and Death metal never died,it just went back underground,At the moment it seems to be re-surfacing at an unbelievable rate,i would like to know how old -tom- is,just curious!
31.03.2009 - 03:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 02:15

Thrash and Death metal never died,it just went back underground,At the moment it seems to be re-surfacing at an unbelievable rate,i would like to know how old -tom- is,just curious!

Tom got a point, however. It's true that lots of old Thrash and Death Metal bands (and Black Metal bands of the first wave) people praise today were pretty much unnoticed and unknown during the 80s. I was there and old enough to remember. However, it doesn't mean in any way that they sucked and don't worth a good listen today. It's just that I have the feeling lots of people who weren't there at the time greatly overestimate the popularity of those bands back then.

For example, lots of people believe Venom has been a huge influence for the early Norwegian BM bands. It's false. Bathory was a big influence for them, yes. Venom? No. Among those Norwegian musicians of the early 90s, only Aarsett (RIP) listened to Venom.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.04.2009 - 19:24
Saitenhexerin
Imho, i also think Thrash metal has a big survival just right now - if you only take a look at the billings of the (European) summer festivals, you'll find a lot of 80s Thrash bands - Exodus, Lääz Rockit, Testament, Forbidden, Death Angel etc. are touring again!
And If you take a look at the killer releases Testament and Death Angel delivered last year, I bet a lot of people were brought to their older releases through this; and though will learn to appreciate Thrash metal.
For me (ok I know, i am only 20) listening to Thrash metal for about 5 years, I think it never has been so present in the media as at this moment!

so far
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
08.04.2009 - 19:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.04.2009 at 19:24

Imho, i also think Thrash metal has a big survival just right now - if you only take a look at the billings of the (European) summer festivals, you'll find a lot of 80s Thrash bands - Exodus, Lääz Rockit, Testament, Forbidden, Death Angel etc. are touring again!
And If you take a look at the killer releases Testament and Death Angel delivered last year, I bet a lot of people were brought to their older releases through this; and though will learn to appreciate Thrash metal.
For me (ok I know, i am only 20) listening to Thrash metal for about 5 years, I think it never has been so present in the media as at this moment!

so far

yeah but the point in music is to be "present at the media"?
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.04.2009 - 19:36
Saitenhexerin
Written by Deadmeat on 08.04.2009 at 19:32

mhm, yea I know what you mean...
but where is the revival without being present in the media?
If nobody talks about Thrash Metal there is no revival, in my opinion...

so far
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
08.04.2009 - 19:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.04.2009 at 19:36

Written by Deadmeat on 08.04.2009 at 19:32

mhm, yea I know what you mean...
but where is the revival without being present in the media?
If nobody talks about Thrash Metal there is no revival, in my opinion...

so far

don't forget that metal and mostly Thrash metal was underground in the 80's. so the media couldnt know about it. it was also the most extreme style in music and people are "afraid" to show out the "most extreme". do you see often tech and brutal death bands in TV?
----
08.04.2009 - 20:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.04.2009 at 19:24

so far

But quality is bad. I prefere new thrash bands who's p;lay 80's thrtash metal but just started, not old once, old there good only historical albums nothing more
----

apos;'
[image]
10.04.2009 - 09:19
Bonii
Hmmm.. i prefer to listen old thrash metal album with tight sound typical. that was very cool you know...
14.04.2009 - 23:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 09.05.2007 at 00:18

And there was a band called Paradox. Anybody heard about them? It's a german power/thash band, their second album (Heresy) was a concept album about the crusades. Very solid!

I realize this is quite an old quote but I concur on this statement. I recently found Paradox while looking for more German Power/Thrash. I can say that I enjoy this mix quite a bit and would recommend them to anyone looking for a good mix of Thrash Metal with some clean vocals, somewhat in the vein of early Anthrax.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.04.2009 - 00:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 14.04.2009 at 23:51

Written by Guest on 09.05.2007 at 00:18

And there was a band called Paradox. Anybody heard about them? It's a german power/thash band, their second album (Heresy) was a concept album about the crusades. Very solid!

I realize this is quite an old quote but I concur on this statement. I recently found Paradox while looking for more German Power/Thrash. I can say that I enjoy this mix quite a bit and would recommend them to anyone looking for a good mix of Thrash Metal with some clean vocals, somewhat in the vein of early Anthrax.

Good band indeed I know album ''Heresy'' + myspace songs, realya wesome band, in 80;s from Ger came many such bands but 90% of those are gone n forgotten, many realised 2-3 good albums but then disapeared from scene and this is one of those bands
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2009 - 19:11
ms68
I think Annihilator - 1989 - Alice In Hell is the best of 80's. in my opinion metallica's master of puppets is the most overrated album ever. i listened to it thousand of times because of another's opinion but still i don't like that. i wanna really know without historical matters why people like this album.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
15.04.2009 - 19:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by ms68 on 15.04.2009 at 19:11

I think Annihilator - 1989 - Alice In Hell is the best of 80's. in my opinion metallica's master of puppets is the most overrated album ever. i listened to it thousand of times because of another's opinion but still i don't like that. i wanna really know without historical matters why people like this album.

Because of:

1. Awesome intro to Battery and a 5-minute dose of pounding thrash.
2. The epic of Master of Puppets with its timeless riff and solos.
3. The darkness and creepiness of The Thing That Should Not Be.
4. Welcome Home, which is just a great song .
5. Another dose of awesome thrash of Disposable Heroes.
6. Freaking ecstatic feeling you get when in the beginning of the song there are moments where you hear bare bass.
7. The masterpiece of an instrumental that Orion is.
8. Just another final surge of thrash embodied in Damage, Inc.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.04.2009 - 22:43

in my opinion metallica's master of puppets is the most overrated album ever. i listened to it thousand of times because of another's opinion but still i don't like that. i wanna really know without historical matters why people like this album.

Well I'll go through it song by song...
BATTERY - A spectacular opener. Whats more to say? Great spanish sounding intro, it comes in and BREAKS YOUR FUCKING SKULL, the lyrics are cool, brilliant solo... Just puts you in the mood for an opus of thrash!

TITLE TRACK - The quintessential "GOD MY WRIST HURTS" exercise! Dun dun DAH dun dun DAH dun dun NAH NAH NAHHHH!!! This song is one of those examples (Just like Disposable Heros and Orion comming up) of 8+ minute songs played by Metallica that sound like 3 minute songs just because their so dense with detail.

THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE - Groovy, main riff as catchy as all fuck, fantastic lyrics, awesome wahhhh waHhHhHhHh solo... A winner in my book... Overrated NEVER.

SANATARIUM - Truly pretty/haunting accoustic lick. If your a fan of One Flew Over the Cukoos nest the lyrics are a real winner. When it gets "Metal" it's really amazing "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG! Probably my favorite guitar solo on the record because, to me, it's the most progressive.

DISPOSABLE HEROS - Tied for my favorite on the disk... It's amazing when the trippy part in the beginning with the WaaahhhhHHHHHahhhhhHhhh turns thrashy and just pulls your balls right off. The lyrics are gold, about the absurdity of the human sacrifice of war. The chorus is simply catchy as hell (BACK TO THE FRONT!) Incredible solo. Nuff said

LEPER MESSIAH - Tied for my favorite on the disk... Groove groove groove. Really angering lyrics. A truly shredding solo (The Alexi Laiho sweep lol). The real greatness of the song is right after the solo when it goes back to the bridge riff at double time. Gives me chills every time.

ORION - Cliffs GREATEST moment.I really don't have much to say besides a killer instrumental

DAMAGE INC. - The album bookends itself with another RIP YOUR FUCKING FACE OFF song! GENIUS!

So... I'm FULLY a believer in the concept that everyone is entitled to their opinion but... Why would you suggest Master of Puppets is the most overrated album ever? Wouldn't you kind of... Think of much worse much MORE overrated ones? I dunno... Anything with a music video on "Metal Mania" besides the occasional REAL metal song? Any lame ass glam record? Hah NO you don't think of those... To you the cake goes to Master of Puppets... The album that gave thrash some credability outside the thrash circle in the 80's.
15.04.2009 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Personaly I think Annihilator made only one good album but its werry bad if we look to other thrash albums Alice in Hell is werry good bnut its like 1 - 10 Master Of Puppets
----

apos;'
[image]
24.06.2009 - 20:17
Demonmayonnaise
I too think Puppets is overrated, but it still is a very good album. I personally think that Ride The Lightning is better. I honestly think that the best thrash album is a toss up between Reign in Blood, Bonded by Blood, and Ride the Lightning.
25.06.2009 - 23:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Here is a picture of two 80s Thrashers can be found in my profile
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2009 - 21:01
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
80's thrash - wow - bringing back memories (sobs)

- Coroner "Punishment for Decadance" ...Masked Jackal...thankyou headbangersball
- Prong "Beg to Differ" ...this Cd's production is so good you'd think they hooked up with U2's or Madonna's producer
- Voivod "Dimension Hatross" ...Piggy's guitar stands out here
- Death Angel "Act III" ...maybe too mainsteam but the songs are so well written

there are so much more but these just popped up
----
rekt
08.07.2009 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Greek band ''Naissant Disaster'' plays like 80's style simmilar to CRUCIFIER and Suicide Angels, realy awesome band
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2009 - 16:28
I have heard that Agent Steel might be playing the UK/Europe sometime next year...

First Sabbat play Glasgow, now this???? I can't fucking wait!
10.07.2009 - 17:11
gwarscumdog
Well Anthrax is thrash and is one of my favorites. The whole Anthrax sound is always in your face.
11.07.2009 - 14:50
Daniel
So many great underated bands came up in that scene, my favourites inculde : Infernal Majesty, Morbid Saint, Slaughter Lord, Holy Terror, Vio-Lence etc.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
12.07.2009 - 00:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniel on 11.07.2009 at 14:50

So many great underated bands came up in that scene, my favourites inculde : Infernal Majesty, Morbid Saint, Slaughter Lord, Holy Terror, Vio-Lence etc.

Slaughter Lord man awesome band, nive see you respect home bands
Slaughter Lord was they didnt realise any album only 3 demos n best of, but it dodnt metter, those songs what I heard on myspace are so awesome lil Ausie verse about Sarcofago and Possessed
----

apos;'
[image]