Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Nucky, 26.01.2015 - 22:09
Major League Baseball 2012..
03.02.2015 - 03:50
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Damn, I am (was) currently trying to finish Breath Of Fire 3 on the lowest level possible and I just realized I made a huge mistake which will make it impossible, so I need to restart it all over again =/
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.02.2015 - 16:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Spent a few hours now on Darkest Dungeon. I love the artstyle, the dialogue and the voice acting (mostly) and it game has enormous potential as a fun and deep roguelike, but in its current state it's way too unbalanced. Trying to contend with the whole stress thing makes it impossible to really penetrate. Seasoned fighters apparently flip out whenever they have to move some rocks without a shovel, or even simply walking down a corridor, and before you know it you've an entire party of cowering, whimpering peons (yet watching a party member die doesn't even phase them? What?) and stress-healing abilities are totally pointless. Add to that the percentage-to-hit ration is worse than X-COM's. We're talking 1 hit out of 4 or 5 for a 60% chance to hit, 1 in 2 (ish) from 80% chance to hit (compared to the enemies' attacks which hit much more often), and the difficulty and cost of maintaining your character's stress out of battle, not least when you find one of your fighters has conflicting issues and can't de-stress in village, which means putting more money into having said issues removed. The majority of looting attempts end up in afflicting your party with something;, bookcases usually stress you out, graves always inflict blight etc. and you get nothing from these as a result. At the moment I'm basically conscripting new parties every time, sending them into dungeons, getting what resources and money I can then escaping and dismissing them and putting the money and resources toward upgrading the village and slowly building a party that can finish a basic short dungeon with any kind of assurance other than blind luck. Great potential, but at the moment a little tedious and frustrating and difficult in the wrong way. The difficulty could be offset by making it so it's not a massive grind and making everything so expensive (1200 gold to visit the pub? 1500 to pray? Really?) Hopefully the game will become a little more manageable a bit later on.

I'm enjoying it regardless though. It's compelling enough to keep me coming back in the hope of actually achieving something.
06.02.2015 - 00:23
ylside
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.02.2015 at 16:38

Spent a few hours now on Darkest Dungeon. etc

Hahaha and I just opened this thread to post something about Darkest Dungeon... seems like it's quite unbalanced from what you say. As I am not interested at all in trying "early access" games, I'll patiently wait until they balance it up. I really have high hopes for it too.

In other news, Ultima Underworld 2's official sequel is getting a kickstarter as I write this... *cries*
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant
06.02.2015 - 14:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 06.02.2015 at 00:23

Hahaha and I just opened this thread to post something about Darkest Dungeon... seems like it's quite unbalanced from what you say. As I am not interested at all in trying "early access" games, I'll patiently wait until they balance it up. I really have high hopes for it too.

If they balance it up! Fairly sure they will a little but this is one of those games predicated on being rock hard, so the devs might feel too much pride in that regard and insist that it's supposed to be this way. It doesn't feel like an early-access game though. More like a well-polished Beta (which is better than some fully released triple AAAs these days).
07.02.2015 - 01:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Xenoblade blowout.

10.02.2015 - 01:27
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Did somebody here played the new Muhammad Sex Simulator 2015?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.02.2015 - 01:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by whatsacow on 01.02.2015 at 13:36

I also picked it up for PS3 to so I could play couch so me and my girlfriend would have something to play. I gotta say, I enjoy it more on console than I did on PC. It's far more challenging - especially the boss fights. The addition of rolling adds a lot to the experience.

it's a great deal of rock 'em sock 'em fun... and also fits the secondary requirement of a game, zero internet connectivity required. can't play a game of FIFA15 without it disconnecting, so shit like Destiny or whatever are right out for me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.02.2015 - 03:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.02.2015 at 02:47

-The Evil Within

In the mood for some Resident Evil-esque horror.

Have fun with those big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen :/
10.02.2015 - 03:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.02.2015 at 03:18

I've not really noticed them - too busy getting killed by stuff I thought was dead. Love how you've got to burn things to keep them dead!

I guess you're playing it on a decent size tv. On a monitor they took up way too much space. If you want Resident Evil action you should probably look into the HD re-master of the remake of the original game *breath* (was originally a Gamecube game but they ported it to the new consoles).
10.02.2015 - 03:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.02.2015 at 03:28

Actually my TV is small but obviously much bigger than a computer screen.

They redid the original? Wow. Did they capture the vibe including brilliantly awful dialogue ("You were almost a Jill sandwich")?

It's a very faithful and pretty remake, though the dialogue was re-done it seems. On the PC version I think there's a way to patch in the original dialogue though.

10.02.2015 - 19:01
ylside
Staff
Didn't know a remaster was done of the first... Definitely getting it.
10.02.2015 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah ages ago on the Gamecube (which can be picked up for under £5 second hand still compare to the full priced HD remaster). I never completed it but they redesigned bits of it in a faithful and beneficial way, such as the snake fight. They also introduced reviving zombies so you have to burn them as you go, which makes the game much harder as fuel was pretty scarce if I recall.
12.02.2015 - 17:58
Slayer666
Hey guys, did you know that we who post on this thread are unwashed basement-dwellers who dabble in oppressing women and rape? I know because Law and Order: Special Victims Unit told me, and a lot of mainstream media seems to agree!

Holy fuck, is it the nineties again?
12.02.2015 - 19:17
Deadsoulman
Elite
Can't see the video, but I can't say I'm surprised. At the moment in France, a series of TV spots advertising a hotline dedicated to troubled teenagers is running on the main channels, those watched by your average French person. Topics adressed: drugs, alcohol, violence and video games. All on the same level.
It's a cycle: now that they're done with movies, anime and music as minions of Satan, they go back to video games.
12.02.2015 - 19:33
Slayer666
Oh well, the episode is called "Intimidation Game" if you're interested in watching the most hilarious unintentional parody I've seen in a while. This is what happens when you let Jack Thompson write TV scripts.

Also, for added hilarity, the same gaming "journalists" who've spent months and months calling their readers sub-human, racist, homophobic and misogynistic scum are now flipping out when a show portrays their readers as such. You can't make this shit up.
13.02.2015 - 13:31
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Deadsoulman on 12.02.2015 at 19:17

Topics adressed: drugs, alcohol, violence and video games. All on the same level.

well they got it right , just they left out sex
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.02.2015 - 17:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
----
rekt
19.02.2015 - 00:20
Slayer666
As time goes on, I'm getting more and more confirmation that game development business is a huge magnet for the most shameless, spineless wimps on this side of the Milky Way.

So apparently, some guy completed Order 1886 in 5 hours and documented that roughly half the game-time is taken by unskippable cutscenes. When people rightly started flipping shit over it, this happened:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-dev-says-internet-is-the-new-playgr/1100-6425374/
19.02.2015 - 15:44
raveneffect
Tried Forced the other day and it was a big letdown. I like the concept but the execution is flawed at best, horrible at worst. The whole character movement feels unfinished, graphics seem unpolished and I always feel I'm playing some low-cost budget game. The challenge aspect is what drove me into enduring the 2hours but It got tiring after a while.

Co-Op is cool, I'll give it that, but the negative aspects dont go away in this mode.
19.02.2015 - 17:32
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 19.02.2015 at 14:08

So lets hope it was just a speedrun and that game is infact double that...AND good.

Nope, allegedly the guy was playing at a moderate pace. He didn't go after all the collectibles and shit, but he didn't rush through it either. And some other guy wasn't too busy and compiled a detailed time table watching the long play.

Prologue - Total | 12:28 --> Gameplay | 3:39 - QTE | 1:58 - Cutscenes | 6:50
Chapter 1 - Total | 29:23 --> Gameplay | 20:20 - Cutscenes | 9:03
Chapter 2 - Total | 16:33 --> Gameplay | 6:43 - Cutscenes | 9:49
Chapter 3 - Total | 46:00 --> Gameplay | 32:36 - QTE | 0:54 - Cutscenes | 12:30
Chapter 4 - Total | 24:25 ---> Gameplay | 12:20 - QTE | 2:21 - Cutscenes | 9:46
Chapter 5 - Total | 32:41 --> Gameplay | 24:17 - QTE | 0:32 - Cutscenes | 7:52
Chapter 6 - Total | 7:32 --> Gameplay | 1:42 - QTE | 0.18 - Cutscenes | 5:32
Chapter 7 - Total | 6:41 ---> Cutscenes | 6:41
Chapter 8 - Total | 21:37 --> Gameplay | 9:30 - QTE | 0:07 - Cutscenes | 12:00
Chapter 9 - Total | 43:07 --> Gameplay | 31:13 - QTE | 1:13 - Cutscenes | 10:41
Chapter 10 - Total | 4:07 --> Cutscenes | 4:07
Chapter 11 - Total | 44:15 --> Gameplay | 33:13 - QTE | 1:07 - Cutscenes | 9:55
Chapter 12 - Total | 5:37 --> Cutscenes | 5:37
Chapter 13 - Total | 5:17 --> Gameplay | 0:04 - Cutscenes | 5:13
Chapter 14 - Total | 5:31 --> Gameplay | 1:47 - Cutscenes | 3:44
Chapter 15 - Total | 10:48 --> Gameplay | 9:24 - Cutscenes | 1:24
Chapter 16 - Total | 9:23 --> QTE | 2:33 - Cutscenes | 6:50

Walkthrough - Total | 325:17 --> Gameplay | 186:48 - QTE | 11:03 - Cutscenes | 127:26

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

Note chapters 7, 10 and 12, specially 10. The fuckers made a 4 minute cutscene and called it a "chapter". I hope PS4 owners are getting their money's worth.
20.02.2015 - 19:19
Zap
Written by Guest on 20.02.2015 at 16:34

Lots of Souls talk

I agree with most of what you said about Demon's Souls. The world design was so great and, indeed, world 3 was amazing. One of my favorite levels in any video game. I'm one of the few that prefers Demon's Souls to Dark Souls, but that might be because it came first.
21.02.2015 - 12:42
Zap
Written by Guest on 21.02.2015 at 11:57

Right before I started Tower of Latria I was telling a buddy how I prefer DaS over Des SIMPLY because of the tendency stuff. Now with Latria under my belt, I couldn't be able to give you a confident answer on which I prefer...

I never really cared about the tendency thing and just ignored it until I had to figure out how it works to get the platinum trophy (I noticed I was close to having all the trophies, so I figured why not )
21.02.2015 - 14:08
Zap
Written by Guest on 21.02.2015 at 13:55

I say that because I just did it in the DeS PT and I want evidence so I can flaunt my massive souls dick.

Yeah, I just wanna rub that in the face of all my friends that couldn't even finish the first Demon's Souls level. Fucking casuls.
21.02.2015 - 21:59
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Going through Dishonoured again with high chaos, also playing Sunless Sea!
22.02.2015 - 02:26
whatsacow
Bought a PS4 to get ready for Bloodborne, and well, there are still no fucking games for it.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
22.02.2015 - 05:03
MetCanMeshAnt
I just finished my first go through of Diablo III. It wasn't very difficult, but it was really cool. Lots of monster/demons to kill. Sometimes there were so many creatures on the screen that I couldn't even see my player. All I saw was blood and body parts flying everywhere. Also the game really wasn't that long. I do think that it is cool that when you finish the game you start over with all that you have but the gameplay is just harder. So that is cool. Now that I am done with Diablo III, I haven't decided if I want to play through it again or play through Star Ocean - The Last Hope again.
26.02.2015 - 05:44
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 26.02.2015 at 03:41

ICO + Shadow of the Colossus arrived a coupled days ago in the mail ^.^

Enjoy playing through. SotC is my favourite of all time and ICO is up there too (and the soundtrack is really good in both)
27.02.2015 - 01:34
Slayer666
Written by Irritable Ted on 24.02.2015 at 12:59

This gen has been really disappointing so far. I've had my Xbox One for a year and only got 5 Games. None of them are ground breaking. Titanfall is the only one I have played a lot as it is a well balanced FPS, but even that hasn't exactly given anything new.

The only thing coming out that looks OK is The Division and that might not come out this year.

Really? You're not thrilled with the iteration #654335 of a FIFA/PES or CoD game, the beautiful endless grindfest of Diablo 3 and Destiny, the hipster bullshit lovely and creative Child of Light and The Escapists, the glorified DLC awesome Far Cry 4, the revolutionary new and original concepts of watch_dogs and D4/The Evil Within, the technically flawless Ass Creed games, the storytelling masterpiece of Dragon Age: Inquisition and so many others?

Well, some people, hmph. You can never please 'em.
28.02.2015 - 22:45
ylside
Staff
So :
I have just finished Return to Mysterious Island - I used only ONE hint in the internet... I am ashamed hahaha... but adventure games are like that, it is impossible sometimes to see what's right in front of you.

I also tried a "thing" called : Justin Smith's Realistic Summer Sports Simulator. What the hell was I thinking
01.03.2015 - 18:07
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by ylside on 28.02.2015 at 22:45

I also tried a "thing" called : Justin Smith's Realistic Summer Sports Simulator. What the hell was I thinking

lol...u win the internet for the day!
----
rekt