Metal Storm logo
Listening to an album all at once

Poll

How often do you listen to a whole album at once?

Most of the time
All the time
Sometimes
Never

Total votes: 96
25.10.2011 - 23:40
king_matt
Do you listen to albums all the way through? How often if so?

I would say most of the time. I think most metal albums are meant to listen to all at once. It gives you the "full experience". When I don't, it's usually from certain bands. Bands I prefer to NOT listen to in full albums are Coroner and Bolt Thrower.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
25.10.2011 - 23:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=28334

It's not completely duplicated, but very similar.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.10.2011 - 02:59
king_matt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.10.2011 at 23:45

http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=28334

It's not completely duplicated, but very similar.

No, that was asking about the names of albums you have listened to all at once, while this is a poll asking how often you listen to full albums all at once.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
26.10.2011 - 03:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by king_matt on 26.10.2011 at 02:59
No, that was asking about the names of albums you have listened to all at once, while this is a poll asking how often you listen to full albums all at once.

Ya I realized that...I reported it anyway so you might get a Mod in here but chances are this'll be fine.

Anyway, to answer the question, on average I rarely listen to a new album in its entirety to start with. I check out new songs on Youtube and MySpace or Bandcamp or whatever and then if I like the first couple songs I hear then I return to it later and listen to it in its entirety.

Unfortunately as of late I haven't had the time to really sit down and give too many old albums I really like the attention they deserve. That being said, with albums I know intimately I can just listen to any of the songs and kind of take on that "I just listened to the whole thing" feeling...like watching movie samples of one of your favorite movies from years ago, you kind of fill in the blanks without having to watch more than a few minutes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.10.2011 - 04:55
Edmund Fogg
I usually listen to the whole thing when I've got nothing else to do and can concentrate on the music i.e : at work. But at home, where I have have a shitload of disractions, I usually put my player on shuffle and get on with my day. By the way, nice breast miss Galante.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
26.10.2011 - 11:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Depends on the album I suppose but I usually aim to listen to an album in one go. With some albums this is essential, some not so. Generally, for example, I find that albums of the Thrash genre don't require being heard at once. Even so if the albums a good one I'd continue to listen to it in one listen anyway.
26.10.2011 - 13:20
RockeRoy
Always listen through the whole thing, some albums this is a must, but it's always the best experience if i listen from start to finish. It's like a tv series.. if you don't see every episode you are gonna miss something thats significant in the next one.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.10.2011 - 13:50
Yavanna
I hardly listen to the whole album at once (usually, only at the first time I listen to it)... I simply cannot sit and listen to the whole thing, I keep on switching the songs (and anyway, I cannot watch a whole movie at once... I watch it in parts )
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
26.10.2011 - 13:58
RockeRoy
Written by Yavanna on 26.10.2011 at 13:50

I hardly listen to the whole album at once (usually, only at the first time I listen to it)... I simply cannot sit and listen to the whole thing, I keep on switching the songs (and anyway, I cannot watch a whole movie at once... I watch it in parts )

Are you of the restless kind maybe?
----

Walk with me in hell
26.10.2011 - 14:08
Yavanna
Written by RockeRoy on 26.10.2011 at 13:58

Written by Yavanna on 26.10.2011 at 13:50

Are you of the restless kind maybe?

well, somehow I am... I can't sit still... I have to be doing something with my hands all the time (even if it is switching the songs )
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
26.10.2011 - 14:24
fredd
Account deleted
Last year, my answer would have been never. This year, it's all the time.
26.10.2011 - 14:33
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Rarely. "Sometimes". It varies... I'm kind of the opposite of Tory. Troy. Whaddya call it... that freakish thing from Canada. Or somewhere else?

It varies.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.10.2011 - 14:49
RockeRoy
Written by Guest on 26.10.2011 at 14:24

Why is that? some spesific album that changed it?
----

Walk with me in hell
26.10.2011 - 14:52
fredd
Account deleted
Written by RockeRoy on 26.10.2011 at 14:49

Why is that? some specific album that changed it?

Edge of Sanity - Crimson
26.10.2011 - 14:53
RockeRoy
Written by Guest on 26.10.2011 at 14:52

Written by RockeRoy on 26.10.2011 at 14:49

Why is that? some specific album that changed it?

Edge of Sanity - Crimson

i can understand that, great album. and a good example on an album that has to be heard as a whole IMO
----

Walk with me in hell
26.10.2011 - 15:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I always listen to the whole album( especially when its a new album and my all time favorites too) reason is if you're listening at one go, the essence of the album comes up. It also differentiates with their previous work and you can judge it overall. I just go for the whole album to listen at one go.
26.10.2011 - 15:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Well, a lot of that depends on whether the album contains any bad songs/fillers or not. Also, if Im outside listening to my ipod, Im more likely to listen to full length albums than when I listen to albums at home. But really, it all depends on the album, what I'm doing at the time, and my mood.
26.10.2011 - 15:53
JD
Account deleted
Written by RockeRoy on 26.10.2011 at 13:20

Always listen through the whole thing, some albums this is a must, but it's always the best experience if i listen from start to finish. It's like a tv series.. if you don't see every episode you are gonna miss something thats significant in the next one.

Agreed, even If the album Is crappy, I still give It a fair shot.
26.10.2011 - 16:46
Behdaad
DEAD
I always listen to the whole album at once.
I think an album is like a movie and the tracks are chapters of the movie.

The whole album is there to express a feeling, not single songs.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
26.10.2011 - 18:37
Panterica
I also like listening to an album from start to finish, but only if it's the only thing I do at the time. If I'm doing something else whilst listening to music, I prefer to put my stereo on shuffle because listening to a whole album losses its effect if I'm not giving it all of my attention.
And just to make it clear, I chose "sometimes".
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
26.10.2011 - 21:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
It's very rare for me to not listen to the whole album at once. It has to be very bad or I have to be very tired to push "stop". I have the same thing with books, so I guess it's just something I do, when I start, I like to finish.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.10.2011 - 21:17
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Since 2010 I started listen to albums from start to end. Otherwise I would just pick up the songs I like from the first listens and put them on my mp3 (like I did before) and miss a lot of magics.
27.10.2011 - 01:17
strade
Listening to an entire album all at once is the only way.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
27.10.2011 - 01:51
ToMegaTherion
I try to most of the time, but it depends on the amount of time i have available. I occasionally put on a particular song, but often I either press play on a whole album or press play on shuffle for my 15000 song collection either way it just depends on my mood.
One style though is difficult to listen to as individual songs... Prog Metal, this style of metal i think can only be truly understood by listening to it from start to finish.
28.10.2011 - 11:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Like I said on the similar topic, years of shortening my attention span with internet and listening to music on shuffle like my brother and sister still do really made it impossible for me to listen to whole albums at once at first. Dream Theater made the difference for me a couple years before, I wanted to get through their albums at once because I was enchanted by them (especially Six Degrees - a really long one) though I think Dark Tranquillity (and their Skydancer) was the first band I wasn't previously familiar with which made me sit through a whole album at once. Now I've improved of course, but I do press stop every now and then.
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.10.2011 - 20:11
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 26.10.2011 at 15:53

Written by RockeRoy on 26.10.2011 at 13:20

Agreed, even If the album Is crappy, I still give It a fair shot.

i dont waste my time on such albums...if album is crap there is no point in listening it all,but if its good i prefer listening it completely
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.10.2011 - 20:17
JD
Account deleted
Lemme say that I don't like POZZAAAAAARS. D:
28.10.2011 - 22:13
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 28.10.2011 at 20:17

Lemme say that I don't like POZZAAAAAARS. D:

Are you implying that i am a "pozzaaaar"?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.10.2011 - 22:17
JD
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.10.2011 at 22:13

Are you implying that i am a "pozzaaaar"?

No, because there is no such a word
28.10.2011 - 22:43
Misfit74
I like to but don't always have time for it. Usually, I can get through half and album at a time or just load a few songs from a few bands at a time into Winamp and listen while I can. I do really enjoy hearing an album start to finish - I miss a lot of really good songs by not doing that enough. Great albums have quality material all the way through and I've found a bunch of those lately.