Metal Storm logo
Those secret black metal gems

03.11.2011 - 20:33
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Looking to expand my Black Metal collection since i have pretty much the standard bands, so I want to find those albums which are very much unheard of from bands like Kitsa, Myootiiilation and Elffor which garner barely much attention. Any type of BM would do from Raw, Ambient and Symphonic.
03.11.2011 - 23:22
Leafy_Dragon
You are going to want to listen to some Winterhorde, friend.
03.11.2011 - 23:39
BreadGod
Account deleted
So I see you're looking for some raw black metal. Have you heard of Ash Pool?
04.11.2011 - 01:25
ß
Problem?
Ashdautas, Bone Awl and Avsky are what you might be looking for. Ill second Ash Pool.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
04.11.2011 - 07:46
The Turbanator
Ash Pool is great. Try the "Genital Tomb" demo. I've uploaded one of their song before.

Here :
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
04.11.2011 - 18:38
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Thanks for all the recommendations at the moment guys, they all sound awesome!
04.11.2011 - 21:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't know if they are that secret but they sure as hell aren't really well known, more cult stuff rather than well known.
I have the feeling that you might know some of them but hopefully there's at least one that is unknown to you. I also put under each band name a link to a song.

Aaskereia released one of the best BM albums this year imo. Wonderful wonderful pagan metal, extremely well executed.

Chaos Moon EXCELLENT Ambient black metal tbh, this song is just brilliant. There's also a review of that album here on MS.

Infestus Here's also one of the best albums from this year in my humble opinion. I can't believe this is a one-man band considering how proffesional everything sounds. Really really good Black Metal of the atmospheric/depressive kind. MS review here

Lurker Of Chalice I'm not even going to be objective here: This is the best ambient black metal album to me. A true and essensial masterpiece of the genre. The pitch black tranquility is almost terrifying, like if you were just waiting to die. review here.

Murmuüre ATTENTION: This is barely BM... or even Metal for that matter. What you have here is quite an unique album that mixes different kinds of music: Black Metal, Noise, Ambient, electronica... Hopefully you will like it but I can promise you that you won't heard a lot of stuff that sounds like this. Review here.

That was half of what I wanted to post here, I might post the other half soon, hopefully this helped you a little.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 21:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I agree with all those ^
04.11.2011 - 21:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.11.2011 at 21:46

I agree with all those ^

Of course you would You know how they say: Great minds think alike.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 21:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.11.2011 at 21:53

Great minds think alike.

And ours. Huh huh.

I actually prefer Aaskereia's first album though, some of the best melodies I've heard in a black metal band. The self-titled song is particularly awesomes.

04.11.2011 - 21:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.11.2011 at 21:55

I actually prefer Aaskereia's first album though, some of the best melodies I've heard in a black metal band. The self-titled song is particularly awesomes.

Oh I haven't heard their debut so that's why I didn't mention it. About the song: Amazing melodies without being cheesy. Awesome. That bass is just lovely, the vocals when they go full maniacal are quite inspiring and emotional.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 22:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.11.2011 at 21:59

Oh I haven't heard their debut so that's why I didn't mention it. About the song: Amazing melodies without being cheesy. Awesome. That bass is just lovely, the vocals when they go full maniacal are quite inspiring and emotional.

Crazy vocals though, I could understand if someone was put off by them.
04.11.2011 - 22:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.11.2011 at 22:00
Crazy vocals though, I could understand if someone was put off by them.

Same here, but I can dig Silencer so this wasn't too much of a problem.... The melodies here are way too good to shun because of the vocals though.

PS: I read the "huh huh" in full beavis & butthead fashion, it was fun.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 22:41
Mikyz
Onirik - After Centuries of Silence : Quality Raw Black Metal, it has this droning sound, it makes it fucking hypnotizing.

These are classics but some might not know them hopefully you already do: Weakling - Dead As Dreams: Mesmerizing Black Metal of the highest degree, Mysticum - In Streams of Inferno: Industrial Black Metal, Nagelfar - Srontgorrth: Black Metal Opus of the 90s, Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun: Second best Melodic Black Metal album of the 90s.

Mörk Gryning - Tusen År Har Gått: Quality Swedish Melodic Black Metal.

Negative Plane - Et In Saecula Saeculorum : Fucking brilliant Black Metal with some light thrash undertones.

Barathrum - Legion Of Perkele: Catchy Black Metal with some wicked bass lines.

Vinterland - Welcome to my Last Chapter: Melodic Black Metal

Thorns - Thorns: Industrial Black Metal

These are all from the top of my head, if you want to concentrate on albums released this year you should go ahead and check my list or even !J.O.O.E.!'s.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
05.11.2011 - 11:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Try The Cainian Chronicle by Ancient, Stronghold by Summoning, Takasako Army by Chthonic, Nexis Polaris by The Kovenant, Ill Innocence by Gallhammer and The Corpse Of Rebirth by A Forrest Of Stars. I assume you've already got some Emperor and Immortal and Primordial. Try Mayhem's Grand Declaration Of War if you havn't already, it's not as bad as people say.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.11.2011 - 13:09
Slayer666
I can't believe the OP mentioned Elffor, I hardly see them/him mentioned anywhere.

Might want to check out When Mine Eyes Blacken, some pretty solid atmospheric/depressive BM from New Zeland.
05.11.2011 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What we need discuss topic tile ''what secret'' what did you mean?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.11.2011 - 14:06
JD
Account deleted
Check Adorior from UK

05.11.2011 - 15:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Bad English on 05.11.2011 at 14:02

What we need discuss topic tile ''what secret'' what did you mean?

Think he just means albums that aren't well known on MS.

Stumbled across this, seems both pretty good and unknown:

05.11.2011 - 16:42
Nathan Lurker
Got myself the limited vinyl edition of the Murmuure Self Titled LP. definitely a must have. I would suggest Megafauna by Yoga. it's just awesome really mellow, creepy, Lovecraftian horror soundtrack. There's a sticker on the album labeling this as ''Alien soundtracks from cryptozoology documentaries played back as a black metal 78''. So, again, not pure BM, but definitely a gem.

----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
05.11.2011 - 20:49
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, I'm sure you know more BM than I do and I don't really know what bands you already know and which don't... But if you haven't check out Draugnim - they're my latest addition to the BM bands I like and both of their albums blew me away. Really good BM IMHO.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
05.11.2011 - 21:42
Vombatus
Potorro
Apart from some of the stuff mentioned, for bands not on MS I'd add Wigrid, Fides Inversa, Bloodline, Horde and The Great Old Ones....
05.11.2011 - 23:08
(((O)))
An hidden gem from Germany is Dark Tribe, extremely chaotic BM with insane vocals. Really nightmarish atmosphere, one of my favorite bands, however might want to avoid their lastest album from 2010, its not as chaotic and awesome as their other albums.

Here is the title track from the 2004 album "In Jeraspunta"
06.11.2011 - 03:07
Timmeh
Dudeman
Here's a band from my town, they've played with Moon (who you should also check out) amongst others. They've just got a demo out so far, I think they have a unique and beautiful sound.

06.11.2011 - 14:21
pisymbol
Excellent BM band from Australia, Order of Orias:

Bleak One

More songs:

Order of Orias

Really watching this band. All of their EP/demo stuff is fantastic BM.
07.11.2011 - 03:09
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by pisymbol on 06.11.2011 at 14:21

Excellent BM band from Australia, Order of Orias

I've played a show with that band .
07.11.2011 - 16:01
pisymbol
Written by Timmeh on 07.11.2011 at 03:09

Written by pisymbol on 06.11.2011 at 14:21

Excellent BM band from Australia, Order of Orias

I've played a show with that band .

Good, bad, ugly?
08.11.2011 - 01:52
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by pisymbol on 07.11.2011 at 16:01

Good, bad, ugly?

They were pretty sweet, the sound quality wasn't the best though so I can't fully judge. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that we were playing in an old, empty and somewhat dilapidated hall so the acoustics were hard to work with (but I spose it's 'Black Metal' to be in a place like that). Ugly? I dunno, I didn't really get a good look at their asses.
08.11.2011 - 11:37
Savopipo
I miss some eastern bands that I love:
Mgła (a.k.a. Mgla)
Kriegsmaschine (a.k.a. Death Frost, KSM)
Branikald
Also there are plenty of nice swedish bands to check out (I think Avsky was already mentioned).
Besatt
Blodulv
Blodsrit
Ondskapt
Vanmakt
Mörker
Myhrding
Some of the bands listed above I didn't hear myself for some time but I've listened to all of them and for instance Kriegsmachine is a personal favourite.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
08.11.2011 - 13:14
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Try Faceless And Descending, one-man melodic black metal from Nevada, production is pretty much awful but the melodies are quite nice. Also, try

from my hometown, they played with Decapitated and Svart Crown
----