Disc II [special edition]
01. Devil Woman [Cliff Richard cover]
02. Soft White Throat
03. Bestial Lust (Bitch) [Bathory cover]
04. Prey
05. Nymphetamine (Fix) [feat. Sarah Jezebel Deva]
06. Mr Crowley [Ozzy Osbourne cover]
+ Nymphetamine (video)

From the opening track "Satyriasis," it's patently obvious that we've something different here, rather great. Yes, this was my first prediction. In 2004, Nymphetamine was born, released by a "Black metal" band called Cradle Of Filth. However, this album has caused more than a few ripples to the scene, why? I can't explain. I truly find these musicians weird, especially their mainman Dani Filth, always using gore, blood, explicit nudity, suicide and disgusting clips. This album has really caused the downfall of the Black Metal, and as a result it will have extremely wide appeal? and I think, that's the main cause of Immortal's temporary disappearance.

Now before going further, I just want to say that Black Metal + queerness = annoying music. Cradle plays some kind of symphonic Black/Death Metal with really cheap and cheesy keyboards, and guitar parts that have no relief, unappetizing and uninteresting. From Nymphetamine, they clearly have not solved their main problem yet, as both the standard (Black metal) and more unique elements are prevalent. In this album, neither work well. Ok, the standard black metal is almost acceptable. But they never make you feel that you are listening to something great, or something slightly above the average that would give you the urge to listen to it again. Their approach is centred on the jagged riffs and the horror-themed lyrics. The more distinctive parts on the album, such as the opening riff on "Painting Flowers White Never Suited My Palette," are portentous. The music is just atrocious and does not work as it should. I can't deny that I noticed some variation of the pace between mid to fast paced tempos and crushing rhythmic grooves whilst also ensuring the band's darker side is allowed to shine via some slower, predominate brooding. But it becomes evident quite early on that Cradle will not redeem themselves anywhere on Nymphetamine.

I also must comment on the lyrics that Dani Filth wrote. Each word, every aspect reeks of pure childish thought and amateurism! From the vapid looking "creature" in the booklet, to the band picture itself. These lyrics are more reminiscent of an idiot man who's trying to create a new sub-genre called "Vampire Metal." Black Metal is usually a very different genre, most bands sounding so similar to the next that I don't find too much value in their music; Cradle put different slants, adding to both their originality points and overall impression. So I think it's what Cradle owns, it's not possible that you'll come across an act such as this one, and while not fitting exactly in the meaning of what most folks believe a normal Black Metal band should be, the Filths produce music that will not only appeal to most Gothic Black metal fans but also numerous who don't typically dig the classic metal sound.

But honestly, I can say that these Filths have tried to be as well as possible on Nymphetamine, but in this period of widespread, available professional recording labels, there's merely no excuse for Cradle of Filth to sound so poor. I'm really sorry for Cradle's fans, but I have to confess, there are millions of bands out there that have tried this style and whose product fell agreeably upon the ears, and now you have near you Nymphetamine which is so hard to recommend to anyone. I hope that Thornography will be better, because now, Immortal as well as Abbath's I side project are on the road again.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 2
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 4
Production: 3

Written by Mindheist | 10.10.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
Believe me, reviewing the new album of a band which is so universally judged by almost every metal fan is not an easy thing to do. Most people have already long ago made up their minds about Cradle Of Filth and I don't think I can change the attitudes of either the lovers or the haters of this band. Instead, I will try to describe the album to these two groups separately.

Read more ››
published 13.10.2004 | Comments (12)

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
The long awaited new release of Cradle of Filth is finally out. Dani and his "slick perverted wraiths" return with a dynamite album, "Nymphetamine," an opus, a piece of grim art, a portrait of morbid colors. The guitar work is, as always, fabulous, accompanying Dani's demonic projections and evoking a bittersweet melody through aggression throughout the whole duration of the album. Martin Foul (a.k.a. Powell), the "unwashed pianist," evokes a macabre beauty in the air and nightmares turn to reality through his nocturnal melodies. What about the drumming? We all know who the "Norseman of the Apocalypse" is, Adrian Erlandsson, and we surely know his glorious past, so all I can say is that his drumming is unerring, stunning and lending groove to the album along with David Pybus' grim bass lines. And we reach the mysterious persona of Dani Filth, a poet of shadows breeding darkness and unearthly beauty. For one more time his lyrics are utterly elegiac and uniquely poetic, his voice is so various as never before and his interpretation reaches the peak of perfection.

Read more ››
published 29.07.2005 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 173 users
10.10.2006 - 17:04
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Very very very exaggerate!
This is the worst Cradle album, I admit, but it's not bad at all!
It's only... different from the previous others, maybe a little bit superficial and absolutely not Black but Extreme Gothic... This change of style, in my opinion, can't destroy an entire album... Production is not superlative but... 3 is too little!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
10.10.2006 - 17:13
Mindheist
No Longer Human
@ cradle of bodom:
No bro, i don't think it's unprofessional on giving them this rating. As i mentioned, this album has some good variations but not enough to give them a 7 or a 9...and trust me, i was so generous, i would give them less than 2.8.
10.10.2006 - 17:42
Damnated
Churchburner
is the production really a '3'? I've heard some songs and they're decently produced, quite good for a 'black metal' album
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.10.2006 - 18:39
Rating: 1
iaberis
Advice Troll
AS I said before, THE WHOLE ALBUM SUCKS! At least someone had the balls to give this album, the rating it deserves! I've explained my reasons, in the other two review posts... I just wish that Cradle of Filth would die and stop poluting the enviroment. I just feel sorry for the material and energy wasted on that album!
----
Bitch! Please
11.10.2006 - 23:08
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Now, I don't like Cradle Of Filth, but this is an exaggeration.

You should moderate your ratings, I like your reviews though.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
11.10.2006 - 23:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The production of this album is actually very good. I would give that aspect an 8. Okay, I hate CoF but at least they perform their songs quite well, a 7 there from me. Songwriting of their's I am not too fond of but isn't bad at all, so 7 once again. Originality not there but still more original than 99% of the euro power metal bands and black metal bands, so 6 there. Since I can't stand their music I'll give a 3 for the overall impression. So, lemme see what that counts up to.
8+7+7+6+3=31 so average = 6.2 which is NOT a good great in fact that's an average grade.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2006 - 02:47
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The production is actually pretty bad. If you listen to it on a quality sound system the flaws are noticeable. Definitely better sound quality then the 3 he gave though.

"guitar parts that have no relief, unappetizing and uninteresting."

Couldn't agree more.
12.10.2006 - 19:59
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Ok, let's make it clear, who likes often fast and not really varied Black Metal and is not put off by the lyrics , could check out Nymphetamine, but also in that area there absolutely are better ones? and in my case, this album is too uniformed and not really my taste. Honestly, seeing the rating given to it on the two previous reviews, i was compelled to do it justice...Believe me, this album doesn't deserve more than 4.
20.10.2006 - 05:09
Saitada
Account deleted
@Doc
okie.....apart from the low rating (i guess, as a fan i'm biased about that) there are a few problems i had with your review

1) there isn't a riff on "painting flowers.."

2) ...also i highly doubt that COF are responsible for Immortal's disappearance

3) you seem to think COF are black metal
20.10.2006 - 17:51
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Guest on 20.10.2006 at 05:09

1) there isn't a riff on "painting flowers.."

Well, might i remind you that 'riff' can be, melodic figure, rythm section, ostinato figure, chord progression...etc. The only original element in this music is the use of a pretty cheesy keyboard or hammond organ in two songs. Some of the pretty hectic and fast riffs are good but you have always the feeling, that you've heard this all before.

2) ...also i highly doubt that COF are responsible for Immortal's disappearance

That's true, they are responsibe for Immortal's disappearance...look, i understand that you are a fan of Cradle Of Filth, and i can't deny they have some good stuffs specially in Cruelty & The Beast, but Nymphetamine has absolutely nothing to compare with Damned In Black. About if they are responsible or not, i advise you to contact Immortal's homepage, you could send them an e-mail if you want to know the truth about their sudden disapperance, but i don't think it's necessary, as i already sent them another one and i actually know what has really happened to them.

3) you seem to think COF are black metal

Well, sure they are, or i guess, Vampire Metal ... As you can imagine, the whole thing is hold in an intentioned lower level. some variation, what's not bad. But the vocals of Dani are way too mixed in the background as its sounds just horrible. This man screams so harshly and That's really not interesting for anyone, So, what shall I tell you more! Cradle Of Filth aren't original in any way and they aren't that, the Metal world have ever awaited. They aren't my cup of tea, though I'm already someone who's very open-minded. If you liked it, it's ok. Thanks
21.10.2006 - 03:16
Saitada
Account deleted
Quote:
Well, might i remind you that 'riff' can be, melodic figure, rythm section, ostinato figure, chord progression...etc.

i've always understood it to mean a (usually short) repeated melody but i gotta admit i don't know much about musical terminology

Quote:
That's true, they are responsibe for Immortal's disappearance...

You serious?, i couldn't find anything about it on their website, all i found about their reasons for their break was this:

"I needed a break," Abbath says. "I think we all did!" We were simply burnt out, and there was no point in continuing. We had a Norwegian tour booked, and had performed at some great festivals both in the US and Europe, but it just didn't feel right any longer."

it certainly seems more likely...

Quote:
Well, sure they are, or i guess, Vampire Metal

hehehe... i guess it was stupid of me to mention genre, i don't think any such discussion has ever ended in a conclusion...so forget i even said that

as for your review, i thought it was well written and i enjoyed reading it......

.....i just wish you shared my views
21.10.2006 - 15:51
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Quote:
You serious?, i couldn't find anything about it on their website, all i found about their reasons for their break was this:

"I needed a break," Abbath says. "I think we all did!" We were simply burnt out, and there was no point in continuing. We had a Norwegian tour booked, and had performed at some great festivals both in the US and Europe, but it just didn't feel right any longer."

it certainly seems more likely...

No, no, you did not get what i mean,... musicians as Immortal can't write why they were burnt out in their frontpage of their website (which has been released recently), otherwise, they can say that in an interview, and this is exactly what has happened. Seriously, who needed a break, Immortal or COF? we can't lump both of them in the same box, it will be insane.

Quote:
hehehe... i guess it was stupid of me to mention genre, i don't think any such discussion has ever ended in a conclusion...so forget i even said that

I think so,...

Quote:
as for your review, i thought it was well written and i enjoyed reading it......

.....i just wish you shared my views

Thanks dude, glad you liked it, you are welcome .
18.11.2006 - 20:39
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Quote:
Now before going further, I just want to say that Black Metal + queerness = annoying music.

Queerness = keyboards and symphonic elements?
Well, symph/melo Bm is the only Bm I like...
14.12.2006 - 02:12
Talvi
You are rating this low because people label it as Black Metal, not for the music itself. That's why people hate the band
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
15.12.2006 - 21:39
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I think you should read it before posting your comments. It took me too much time for listening and then reviewing it, so at least read it, you'll understand why my rating is 'low'. Your comments are welcome. Thanks
13.04.2007 - 23:12
Christ_13
Account deleted
"This album has really caused the downfall of the Black Metal, and as a result it will have extremely wide appeal? and I think, that's the main cause of Immortal's temporary disappearance" - What is this?? Immortal?? looooool

This review is just the type of things we are use to read about CoF.. Nothing new or interesting.. Just the same basic opinion from the people who love to hate CoF.. It's cool hate CoF! loool just make me laugh!
06.08.2007 - 17:10
lenesu
Written by Guest on 13.04.2007 at 23:12

This review is just the type of things we are use to read about CoF.. Nothing new or interesting.. Just the same basic opinion from the people who love to hate CoF.. It's cool hate CoF! loool just make me laugh!

IT IS NORMAL NOT TO LIKE COF. Their music is just not what people expect from metal and apart of that it is childish.
07.08.2007 - 14:56
Christ_13
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

IT IS NORMAL NOT TO LIKE COF. Their music is just not what people expect from metal and apart of that it is childish.

Yes, it is normal not to like COF.. what isn't normal is the hate that people have to them.. It's like this: I don't like power metal, but i going to do reviews of power metal albums, just to say to the world how bad they are.. If you aren't into a certain music style just don't listen and shut up :p
24.10.2007 - 02:18
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by iaberis on 10.10.2006 at 18:39

I just wish that Cradle of Filth would die and stop poluting the enviroment. I just feel sorry for the material and energy wasted on that album!

Amem
----
25.12.2007 - 06:15
Magatouve
Account deleted
Still I don't understand the meaning of this statement "This album has really caused the downfall of the Black Metal, and as a result it will have extremely wide appeal? and I think, that's the main cause of Immortal's temporary disappearance"
Why should one single album (good or bad) cause the downfall of the whole black metal scene? Don't u think this is an overstatement. I mean over over statement. Also u didn't explain to us till now how this album caused Immortal's disappearance? And why a great band like Immortal would disappear because of a 'bad' album which is not even black metal???!!!!
14.07.2008 - 23:08
Demonmayonnaise
In order for Cradle of Fuck to cause the downfall of a genre wouldnt they have to fall in that genre? They arent black metal. Theyre something differant. maybe fag metal.. I dunno
21.10.2008 - 02:03
Stuart
MiseryKing
I have to say that this by far cradle's poorest effort (coming from a cradle fan) but this review is just absolutely ridiculous. I can assure you that this album is not responsible for any changes in the black metal scene nor is it responsible for the downfall of immortal. You seem to be ill-educated and state any crack-pot idea which pops in your head as fact. It seems strange you give originality a higher rating than anything else and on the basis of what the review contains this simply furthers the ridiculousness of this review. the review is also filled with contradictions.

Its like someone else said, it has become "cool" for people to hate CoF. why can't people just stop trying to define what a genre "should" sound like and dismiss everything which doesn't fit into that mould. if we could rate reviews, I'd rate your review a 2.8
06.01.2009 - 12:39
Rating: 7
Slayer666
I'd rate this looser's IQ -150.I mean, WTF???? 2.8??? Have you even listened to a single song on this album? No,you haven't. You proved that by mentioning a riff on "Painting The Flowers White......." when there are no guitars used in it. Who told you CoF are Black Metal? Except maybe thier first album, they NEVER were. And what's up with those grades? OK,I can understand 2 in preformance and songwriting if you don't like it (it's not objective at all, but I can understand it), but originality 4? I dare you to find another album that sounds anything like this. Protuction 3? Even those tottaly underground bands who record their albums on their computer microphones don't get 3. You just did that to bring the main score down. Why? Because you are one of those loosers who think hating CoF is cool nowadays. I have some info for you. It's not, and a review like this just makes you look like a tottal idiot. Just this review is worth banning your account from Metal Storm... You should do this
17.04.2010 - 02:02
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
While I hate CoF and the mediocrity they stand for, Nyphetamine is the first album of theirs I actually enjoyed. I wouldn't say its a good album, unless considering who the band was that made it, I went to see them live when they came in support of the album in hopes it would be a good show. Now THAT was bad.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
18.05.2010 - 20:32
Rating: 10
Vonpire
First point. I don't think this is one of the best Cradle works, i agree with that, but it still is a good album. Rating it what you rate it's really a joke, and a proof that your hate for the band completely removed you the reason in everything you said.

Yeah i know it's cool to hate cof.

Don't like it? Don't listen... Duh. I don't like immortal, yet i never said a single word about it cause i really don't care.

CoF were, are and will be one of the best bands on Metal ever! You don't agree? Ok, no problem, just pass it by and listen to your type of music.

But please, don't do stupid reviews, cause who would listen to this album will clearly agree that your rating in a joke. A bad one though.

Btw, Liv Cristine does a great job on Nymphetamine.

And i rate it a 8.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
11.07.2010 - 04:05
Rating: 6
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
"Black metal + queerness"... You really are a stupid fucker and this review isn't worth anyone's precious time. Die.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
13.07.2010 - 04:12
Richard
Elite
A review of this nature is bound to cause controversy - not just for being very negative, but also for some already mentioned inaccuracies! However, please remember to refrain from personal insults, as that is against MS rules.
----
21.06.2013 - 18:59
Rating: 8
Big-Al
Written by MétalNoir on 11.07.2010 at 04:05

"Black metal + queerness"... You really are a stupid fucker and this review isn't worth anyone's precious time. Die.

Agreed.

This review is BS.

personal opinion is one thing, I know alot of people do not like Cradel of Filth, but this review... just BS.

To the point where maybe it does not have it's place on Metal Storm.
----

I drink moosepiss
17.12.2015 - 06:34
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Awfully written review.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.06.2021 - 21:58
ickoriss
This "review" sounds like it was written by some homophobic incel with a massive neckbeard and a katana collection. It's fine if you're not a fan of the album or band, but the "review" contradicts itself several times and tries way too hard to sound smart lol.

Hits total: 5987 | This month: 31