Metal Storm logo
Favorite Vocalist (extreme power metal)

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 11.10.2006 - 06:33
This question came up to me after a disscussion with some friends about these bands, and started talking about the vocalists. So, I'd like to know between these three which one is your favorite and why. Please, don't just post a vote, also comment on your answer.

(BTW: if by any case this is on the wrong category, please move it, thanx!)

Poll

From these vocalists, which is your favorite and why?

Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Pekka Kokko (Kalmah)
Petri Lindroos (Norther)

Total votes: 195
23.11.2006 - 19:26
Jiri
Petri has the best extreme power metal voice. It is rather high sometimes, but it works.
24.11.2006 - 18:09
PM
Hail Lusitânia
actually i didnt vote cos my favourite is ZP Theart from DragonForce!!
powerfull voice!!
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
07.12.2006 - 12:44
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
In my opinion, Alexi Laiho is much better than the other ones... The risk here is to have a monotonous voice, but Alexi express himself always at the best! I like also Petri & Pekka but Alexi is on another planet!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
07.12.2006 - 16:02
Sunioj
I like Pekka's voice out of all, he can do low growls and high pitched very well, but I used to like Alexis voice, but now that I look back on it, his voice isnt really that awesome.
19.12.2006 - 22:24
Bash'
:)
Kokko's of course .. he really did both harsh & shriek vocals as well!! ... Alexi forget about him ..!! his vocals are declining IMO .. just compare it between the first & last albums ob COB .. Norther's I just feel it's always the same without any single changing .. so maybe I am going to consider Alexi over him even I like the music of Norther more
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
04.01.2007 - 21:26
matthioso
Alexi Laiho. just like his vocals more than the other ones
----
www.seedofrock.be
06.01.2007 - 23:51
DeathMuffin
I voted Petri. I didn't go for Alexi Laiho because I think his low vocals (on Something Wild in particular) sound a bit strange, from the new album I think the vocals are declining ...
07.01.2007 - 14:05
Necro'Mortica
Account deleted
Alexi !
09.01.2007 - 20:18
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
easy question Alexi of course he invented that style
----
Stay Metal !!!
12.01.2007 - 19:03
agent orange
Account deleted
if you consider wintersun to be extreme power metal then I go for Jari Maenpaa, not only an excellent guitarists but awesome vocals too
12.01.2007 - 23:10
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2007 at 19:03

if you consider wintersun to be extreme power metal then I go for Jari Maenpaa, not only an excellent guitarists but awesome vocals too

Agree! None of the vocalists mentioned in this thread are very intressting, Jari Mäenpää is the best Extreme power singer
13.01.2007 - 03:57
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I would vote for Jari Maenpaa, but he isn't on the list. He is the most versatile with his vocals. His clean vocals are one of the reasons why. His clean vocals are something that not many other power metal bands with harsh vocals use and his harsh voice kicks a lot o' ass too.

Sword Chant (back when he was with Ensiferum) is an amazing song vocally, as well as the rest of his stuff with Ensiferum and Wintersun, but this song has to be heard to be believed. Truly, he is one of the greates musicians of our time.

From the list it's probably Petri for me. I just like his voice better than the others.
13.01.2007 - 17:25
chuckie
Account deleted
What? you didnt put Jari Mäenpää? He chews those other guys up and spits them out! Petri is good though as a new singer for Ensiferum, but Jari has so much emotion and feeling when he sings.
14.01.2007 - 03:52
DarkMistress
Alexi, well he was the first vocalist in that style that i met (even before than Pekka from Kalmah) so i´ll keep with him
----
Wait in fire
07.03.2007 - 17:08
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Don't really care... but this 'wildchild's vocals are totally irritating... for me at least.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
07.03.2007 - 22:34
Black Mass
Alexi - he's very consistent.
08.04.2007 - 12:11
trendkiller
Account deleted
Petri. He kicks ass, big time.
07.06.2007 - 01:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Black Mass on 07.03.2007 at 22:34

Alexi - he's very consistent.

I was thinking the exact opposite, he goes from growls to shrieks to raspy singing seemingly by accident. I dont think Im going to vote because I have to admit all 3 of these guys up there get on my nerves after a while.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.06.2007 - 11:42
DoOm MaKeR
Alexi,,, amazing vocals , and alos great guitarist!! good solos!
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
17.06.2007 - 14:58
Infurnace
I voted Alexi, because his vocal style is very cool, and he's also a really good guitar-player.
17.06.2007 - 17:27
Kill_Em_All
Account deleted
Alexi is FOR SURE the best guitar-player ,but I personaly think that Pekka has a better voice.

May not please everyone, but aren't we here to give our thoughts
27.06.2007 - 14:42
alexo dynami
I havent seen Pekka sing live though Kalmah impresses me musically not vocally.

Same I would have to say about CoB, where I agree that Alexi is the better guitar player of the three.

Petri I saw singing for Ensiferum but would like to see him sing for Norther live, his vocals just blow me away so has my vote.
28.06.2007 - 21:25
FeskarN
Where is Jari Mäenpää? He has the perfect voice, so beatiful. Even Clean and harsh vocals.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
20.07.2007 - 05:05
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Alexi Laiho, ever. Great harsh vocal, great guitar-player.
21.07.2007 - 02:10
Fhuesc
I voted for Pekka, even if he isnt the best, i like the way he sings. And yes Jari is the best singer.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
22.07.2007 - 17:16
Abattoir
Staff
I vote for Alexi, but for a record the other two vocalist are also very great...But Alexi gets my vote cause he's also great guitar player...so, perfect frontman
27.07.2007 - 15:49
king of fools
Account deleted
I mean come on Petri Lindroos sing for norher and Ensiferum that said it all.
10.08.2007 - 04:47
Lito
Account deleted
Pekka Kokko!!!!!!!! he has not 1 or 2 harsh voices he can sing 4 or 5 differen ways
11.08.2007 - 18:10
In Chaos
Alexi Liaho FTW, a great singer and a great guitar player.
26.08.2007 - 22:49
Remus
Let's see:

Pekka Kokko - He was really good on "They Will Return" and "Swampsong" but on "The Black Waltz"...
I really like his screams but i think the growling does not suit Kalmah at all. Still love them..

Alexi Laiho - I thought he did an excellent job on "Follow the Reaper" but on others he just fell a bit short.

Petri Lindroos - Has the best scream out of all of them and he remained consistent.
The lead guitarist sounds kida like an emo when he sings but hey.

So from a singing point of view, Petri comes out on top IMO.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!