Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
22.12.2007 - 17:37
b0000mst1ck
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 21.12.2007 at 19:20

Written by b0000mst1ck on 20.12.2007 at 09:28

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 14.12.2007 at 03:30

You know you're a Metalhead when you begin introducing people that you are 100% sure do not like Metal music new bands you hear or your favorite songs.

Quote:
He means you're a metalhead when you keep trying to introduce people to metal, new bands, favorite songs and such, even though you are 100% sure that they don't like it.

i do that all the time. especially when i know they're trapped and can't get away from it, like when we're in my car.

Haha. Exactly. WHen my aunt or someone like that is in my car I'm like... "Have you ever heard of Yyrkoon?"

lol, my favorite "drive someone crazy" CD would have to be come death by blood red throne. i think watching a friend cringe from it has given me more reasons to enjoy listening to it.
24.12.2007 - 06:36
ArcanaHereticae
Written by b0000mst1ck on 22.12.2007 at 17:37

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 21.12.2007 at 19:20

Written by b0000mst1ck on 20.12.2007 at 09:28

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 14.12.2007 at 03:30

You know you're a Metalhead when you begin introducing people that you are 100% sure do not like Metal music new bands you hear or your favorite songs.

Quote:
He means you're a metalhead when you keep trying to introduce people to metal, new bands, favorite songs and such, even though you are 100% sure that they don't like it.

i do that all the time. especially when i know they're trapped and can't get away from it, like when we're in my car.

Haha. Exactly. WHen my aunt or someone like that is in my car I'm like... "Have you ever heard of Yyrkoon?"

lol, my favorite "drive someone crazy" CD would have to be come death by blood red throne. i think watching a friend cringe from it has given me more reasons to enjoy listening to it.

So true. I played Deeds of Flesh with my mom in the truck the other day. She was like, "THIS ISN'T RIGHT!"
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
24.12.2007 - 22:22
Piro
You're a metalhead when its your favorite genre of music, its as simple as that. Of course, if you just say it is, but don't really like it as much as you try to tell people you do, then you are nothing but a poser.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
26.12.2007 - 19:58
Bulletdodger
You begin to prioritise metal to other music genres , explore the history of metal music. Also its good to introduce metal to people who dont like it or are not too much interested in it. I scared the shit out of my friend when i played Marduk - Panzer division marduk.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
27.12.2007 - 06:03
Ascalon
When see the name of a bnad and you want konow why the call like that, form wich country they from ... some history .. when you really start to listen to hte music maybe in a reflexive way ... and obviously mostly metal rathertahn other tnhigs... lol
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
27.12.2007 - 10:45
Opium
Account deleted
Similar things might have been said before, but this was on my mind, because of how often I felt like doing this today: When you feel like belting out (and almost) sing your fave songs (clean vocals, in this case) at the top of your voice in public It happened when I was listening to my mp3 player during lunch
27.12.2007 - 17:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't think that I'm a Metalhead.
I like a lot of different genres.

It's more respectable to be a person who love metal... than a person who is a metalhead.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.12.2007 - 01:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
...when you take the long way to work so that you can finish listening to your metal album in your car, even though gas prices suck to the max.
29.12.2007 - 01:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hehe, I do the same... but since I have no car I often take the long walk to somewhere just because I'm listening to something good.
----
29.12.2007 - 14:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I do that too xD
When I have to go home... I go very slooooooowly so I can hear the entire song xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2007 - 02:01
b0000mst1ck
i like to think of myself as a "vehicle vocalist" because i'm usually belting away in the car. but yeah, i drive much slower on my way home from work, and usually end up with a scratchy voice by the time i get there.
30.12.2007 - 02:41
Alex Smith
Actually, I don't feel myself like a metalhead - I am musician, who plays Heavy Metal. Yes, I like Rock-music, but I also listen to different music too. Sometimes I wear metal clothes (usually on a stage), but I don't feel, that I couldn't live without it.
01.01.2008 - 13:12
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Ofcourse it's the music that you like that make's you a metalhead ( altleast the majority of music you fancy should be metal ).
In which form the music comes to your ears ( Cd or concert ) doesn't make you more or less metalhead, but if you like metal I can warmly recommend live concerts because even crappy bands usually sound good on stage and good bands just fantastic.
Clothes are a sort of reflection of hierarchy or status. Leather jackets, jeans, chains and camo's and the length of hair usually tells something of your taste and in some cases determines even the kind of sub-genre you're in, but in the process of listening to metal, clothing is severely secondary.

Summary : It is mostly about the music you listen.
01.01.2008 - 23:39
b0000mst1ck
Written by [user id=24776] on 01.01.2008 at 13:12

Clothes are a sort of reflection of hierarchy or status.

i've been listening to metal (from progressive, to black, etc) for the better part of 10 years, but if you saw me on the street you wouldn't be able to tell i even listen to metal. i don't have long hair, i don't own a leather jacket, i don't have a lot of tattoos, and i don't have any piercings (anymore).

status is all in the believer's eyes. if i dressed the part to reflect my "status", how would you tell the difference between me and someone that doesn't even know who CoB is, if they're dressed the same way?
02.01.2008 - 01:15
juanopereira
It's all in your head. If you like it, then you are a metal fan.
02.01.2008 - 02:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by juanopereira on 02.01.2008 at 01:15

I think there's a big difference between Metal fan and Metalheads. I know a lot of people who are fans of some Metal band, would I call some of the Metalheads? Not really. A Metalhead is something more than just a fan of the music, more than just liking it. A Metalhead has the music in his blood, he can't stand the thought of being without it, he climbs the walls if he hasn't listened to Metal for a while, he can spend all his money on CD:s and thinks it's totally worth it etc.

Oh, and about climbing the walls, I listen to Metal almost all the time when I'm awake, sometimes even when I sleep. So when I'm in school and it's a long day and I haven't listened to Metal for a couple of hours I get easily annoyed and do stuff like playing drums on my knees or the table. It's like it's itching or something like that, I must consume Metal, you know what I mean? My teachers of course thinks it's disturbing so they let me have an earphone in one ear. It works for me and it keeps me from disturbing the others.
----
02.01.2008 - 03:07
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 02.01.2008 at 02:29

Written by juanopereira on 02.01.2008 at 01:15

I think there's a big difference between Metal fan and Metalheads. I know a lot of people who are fans of some Metal band, would I call some of the Metalheads? Not really. A Metalhead is something more than just a fan of the music, more than just liking it. A Metalhead has the music in his blood, he can't stand the thought of being without it, he climbs the walls if he hasn't listened to Metal for a while, he can spend all his money on CD:s and thinks it's totally worth it etc.

Oh, and about climbing the walls, I listen to Metal almost all the time when I'm awake, sometimes even when I sleep. So when I'm in school and it's a long day and I haven't listened to Metal for a couple of hours I get easily annoyed and do stuff like playing drums on my knees or the table. It's like it's itching or something like that, I must consume Metal, you know what I mean? My teachers of course thinks it's disturbing so they let me have an earphone in one ear. It works for me and it keeps me from disturbing the others.

So have you ever listened to let's say Dream Theater while doing exams lol ?
02.01.2008 - 03:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=14272] on 02.01.2008 at 03:07

Haha, yes I have!
----
02.01.2008 - 03:19
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 02.01.2008 at 03:11

Written by [user id=14272] on 02.01.2008 at 03:07

Haha, yes I have!

lol i envy you .., about me i haven't (and probably won't) as no teacher has ever let me do it , but i do listen to metal when doing homework, it kinda makes me more creative i think
02.01.2008 - 17:29
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Written by b0000mst1ck on 01.01.2008 at 23:39

i've been listening to metal (from progressive, to black, etc) for the better part of 10 years, but if you saw me on the street you wouldn't be able to tell i even listen to metal. i don't have long hair, i don't own a leather jacket, i don't have a lot of tattoos, and i don't have any piercings (anymore).

status is all in the believer's eyes. if i dressed the part to reflect my "status", how would you tell the difference between me and someone that doesn't even know who CoB is, if they're dressed the same way?

May I emphasize my summary : It's in the end all in the music, but my experience ( how tiny it ever is ) has shown that persons dressed like 80's thrash legends with their three feet hair usually listen different kind of music than CoB fans dressed in camos and their t-shirts, hair hardly reaching their ears. GENERALLY they reflect your music taste because you want reflect the music, your idol it is. And idols of different kind of music dress differently.

Okay now I am confused myself

But in the end, I wouldn't judge people with these dressing bases neither, I am just saying

Ou right, the question of this topic, Yeah, It's the music
02.01.2008 - 22:46
b0000mst1ck
Written by [user id=24776] on 02.01.2008 at 17:29

Written by b0000mst1ck on 01.01.2008 at 23:39

May I emphasize my summary : It's in the end all in the music, but my experience ( how tiny it ever is ) has shown that persons dressed like 80's thrash legends with their three feet hair usually listen different kind of music than CoB fans dressed in camos and their t-shirts, hair hardly reaching their ears. GENERALLY they reflect your music taste because you want reflect the music, your idol it is. And idols of different kind of music dress differently.

Okay now I am confused myself

But in the end, I wouldn't judge people with these dressing bases neither, I am just saying

Ou right, the question of this topic, Yeah, It's the music

don't take it like i didn't agree with you, because i do. after reading my last post, i may have worded it differently than i should've.

either way, i see what you're saying. i was just emphasizing how that isn't always the case.
04.01.2008 - 02:22
Bulletdodger
Written by Dangerboner on 29.12.2007 at 01:03

...when you take the long way to work so that you can finish listening to your metal album in your car, even though gas prices suck to the max.

...when you scare the shit out of everyone in your bus to school just to hear a good and loud metal song.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
04.01.2008 - 05:12
I am a metalhead, plain and simple.
----
04.01.2008 - 17:51
torniojaws
...when you can like other genres just as much as you like metal. Being a metalhead should be about open-mindedness, not closed-mindedness.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
05.01.2008 - 06:12
H-metal
When you're reaching 30yo and losing your hair... And still enjoying metal. A lot.
----
I listen to metal before you were even born...
05.01.2008 - 15:29
Tod_Engel
Listen to metal a lot (not only to this particular style) and try to expand your knowledge about it. It's all about the music.
10.01.2008 - 15:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
When you listen to Dimmu Borgir, Tool, Godsmack, Blind Guardian, Metallica and all the metal bands you like in your cubicle at work, while othe people in their cubicles listen to pop or classical music or whatever.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.01.2008 - 13:38
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 10.01.2008 at 15:41

When you listen to Dimmu Borgir, Tool, Godsmack, Blind Guardian, Metallica and all the metal bands you like in your cubicle at work, while othe people in their cubicles listen to pop or classical music or whatever.

oh fuck! i'm no metalhead, I dont listen to those mainstream bands

sorry, just a bad attempt to be funny, just like you did
11.01.2008 - 16:53
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
we should come up with the 101 rules of being a metalhead xD
----
11.01.2008 - 16:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha yeah I second that!
----