Metal Storm logo
Depression (And Other Related Mental Illnesses)

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 14.12.2011 - 23:17
Due to the off-topic conversations in the love thread leading to talks of suicide, depression, angst, anxiety, and the likes...

This is your place to discuss your inner conflicts, share with others or simply give positive advice to people suffering. Reflect on past experiences, post your views on mental illnesses, share stories of family members who suffer from such illnesses - basically just keep it on topic.

/wrist
11.06.2012 - 01:18
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I fucking hate living with my off and on depressive feelings! I can trace it back to like the last 10 years of my life. I've had self-esteem problems for the longest. It's a serious hinderance for individual progress. While young, I never came forward to my parents about it. Right now, I refuse to take any sort of pills, I'll stick with the weed let that be my medication (it actually does help).

I actually hate living in this country, I've talked to a select few about immigrating a couple times. I feel like I'm surrounded by so many dumb asses afraid to think for themselves. My parents don't have a clue about my political or religious views, I don't feel comfortable coming forward to them about it. All this really does wear me down often times.
12.06.2012 - 04:15
Stoned Crow
Depression is normal. I think it becomes a problem when we convince ourselves it's not normal- then we ridicule ourselves for feeling down. We are human- up and down is natural. I think it's wise to ignore a lot of psychological shit- it's not a hard science. Existential psychologists are more prone to be good for you, they aren't quick to label you. For instance, I was in a class with a guy who told the class he's been misdiagnosed three times. Why? Why even rely on a so-called science that lied to you three times? Not to mention, more than half of the psychologists I've come across, and the majority of students in the field, aren't exactly "normal" themselves. If you want an accountant to help you with financial matters- cool, math is a hard science. I wouldn't put much trust in metalanguage. Don't get me wrong, psychology has its place- but it's not necessarily in everyone's head. There's money involved also, so do the math.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
13.06.2012 - 23:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cant talk much about, I feel depresed, alone, thinking about death,m hope to die asap, and main what I do digging in my past and try to understand who's blame is it not mine, so parents blame,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.06.2012 - 01:24
Thrashette
Written by Stoned Crow on 12.06.2012 at 04:15

Depression is normal. I think it becomes a problem when we convince ourselves it's not normal- then we ridicule ourselves for feeling down. We are human- up and down is natural. I think it's wise to ignore a lot of psychological shit- it's not a hard science. Existential psychologists are more prone to be good for you, they aren't quick to label you. For instance, I was in a class with a guy who told the class he's been misdiagnosed three times. Why? Why even rely on a so-called science that lied to you three times? Not to mention, more than half of the psychologists I've come across, and the majority of students in the field, aren't exactly "normal" themselves. If you want an accountant to help you with financial matters- cool, math is a hard science. I wouldn't put much trust in metalanguage. Don't get me wrong, psychology has its place- but it's not necessarily in everyone's head. There's money involved also, so do the math.

To an extent I agree with you... Almost everyone I'm ever really gotten to know says they've had their down time before but for some, it's more intense than others. An important thing to note is that psychologists have a lot of people to deal with. If psychological illnesses are as real and serious as they say, I'd imagine it's gonna take more than a few therapy sessions to fix. So most psychiatrists go for the quick and easy fix, which is prescription meds, and misdiagnosis is common especially because many illnesses have similar symptoms and psychology is a relatively new science. It's not as though medical doctors or pharmacists have never messed up before, especially when their fields were still being developed.

Someone once told me that to some extent, we all have something psychologically wrong with us. It's just that not all of them really require treatment or interfere with our lives... I can't comment on serious things like schizophrenia since I've never been there nor met anyone who has. But I do agree that stuff like depression and ADHD may be blown out of proportion or not dealt with properly. Everyone I know who got prescribed meds by a psychiatrist either said it didn't work or became addicted/dependent on it.

I had a pretty serious period of depression about a year ago. Rather than see a psychiatrist for medicine, I just made some changes to my life and I can say that I'm doing well now.
14.06.2012 - 06:03
Stoned Crow
Written by Thrashette on 14.06.2012 at 01:24

Written by Stoned Crow on 12.06.2012 at 04:15

I had a pretty serious period of depression about a year ago. Rather than see a psychiatrist for medicine, I just made some changes to my life and I can say that I'm doing well now.

For me, that is the solution. Change. I'm leery of thinking someone else can fix me. I looked over your profile, and you love cats. So do I. I often look at my two cats, as they lay around and not give a shit about anything, and I think, "hmm, they get it". Change is the solution, short-term, being who and what you are, without society's expectations and our own, is probably the solution long-term.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
14.06.2012 - 14:39
Thrashette
Written by Stoned Crow on 14.06.2012 at 06:03

For me, that is the solution. Change. I'm leery of thinking someone else can fix me. I looked over your profile, and you love cats. So do I. I often look at my two cats, as they lay around and not give a shit about anything, and I think, "hmm, they get it". Change is the solution, short-term, being who and what you are, without society's expectations and our own, is probably the solution long-term.

Hehe, loving cats seems to be a common theme among us metalheads on the internet
I do often think that the cure for depression is learning not to give a fuck, like not caring what society thinks of you, not pondering too hard on things you can't change, and sometimes just not taking life so seriously. And of course learning to appreciate the smaller simple things in life helps too. I personally feel as though the more I think, the more I come up with things to be depressed over and a lot of them are things I can't do anything about. So I just try to keep myself occupied, like with school, work, going out with friends, hobbies, etc to keep my mind from going to those places... Basically anything that I enjoy or at least get some sort of reward out of works well.
15.06.2012 - 03:34
Darkfiber
I hate to be "that guy", but take it from someone who suffered from severe depression for years: exercise works wonders. I hadn't exercised my entire life until my 20s, then I started out of nowhere and within a few weeks my depression cleared up completely and hasn't returned since. It was like a miracle. Nothing else had changed in my life for the better (in fact, things had steadily been getting worse) yet I was oddly happy, so I can't think of anything else it could be other than working out. I think the, "don't give a fuck" attitude to curing depression is the wrong way to go, honestly. It's just a negative way to block it out. Ignoring it wont make it go away, but endorphins apparently do. Who knew. I can't say the same for everyone but I had tried many different things over the years and that's honestly the only thing that has even remotely had long lasting effects.

...oh, and kitties.
15.06.2012 - 04:23
nehrodwarf
The main cause of these illness are the full stop of brain. It caused by many reasons such as: loneliness, the lack of brain activity, drugs addictions, some traumas and etc...

In my family I have a case of mental, or, neurological illness: my grandma, she was a good needlewoman and she had a great memory and her brain always worked properly. But some day, by somereason, a "Doctor" said to her sons / daughthers to forbid her to keep to work as needlewoman, so some months after her retirement she begun to show some mental illness, aka, alzheimer and now her brain is all damaged. Now I say: don't let to stop your bran, by any reason. It makes you brain be destroyed.
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
15.06.2012 - 15:46
Thrashette
Written by Darkfiber on 15.06.2012 at 03:34

I hate to be "that guy", but take it from someone who suffered from severe depression for years: exercise works wonders. I hadn't exercised my entire life until my 20s, then I started out of nowhere and within a few weeks my depression cleared up completely and hasn't returned since. It was like a miracle. Nothing else had changed in my life for the better (in fact, things had steadily been getting worse) yet I was oddly happy, so I can't think of anything else it could be other than working out. I think the, "don't give a fuck" attitude to curing depression is the wrong way to go, honestly. It's just a negative way to block it out. Ignoring it wont make it go away, but endorphins apparently do. Who knew. I can't say the same for everyone but I had tried many different things over the years and that's honestly the only thing that has even remotely had long lasting effects.

...oh, and kitties.

I agree, exercise does definitely help by raising endorphins. It was probably when I got into martial arts that I got over depression and when I had to get out of it due to lack of time and money that I slipped back into depression. But in the end, I think exercise is just another way of blocking out or distracting you from whatever the real problem is, unless the real problem is something like low self-esteem or boredom in which case exercise can fix it by giving you a hobby and a sense of accomplishment. But in the case of getting depressed over the state of the world, human nature, or things in your life that you no control over, it's different...
16.06.2012 - 03:33
Darkfiber
Written by Thrashette on 15.06.2012 at 15:46

I agree, exercise does definitely help by raising endorphins. It was probably when I got into martial arts that I got over depression and when I had to get out of it due to lack of time and money that I slipped back into depression. But in the end, I think exercise is just another way of blocking out or distracting you from whatever the real problem is, unless the real problem is something like low self-esteem or boredom in which case exercise can fix it by giving you a hobby and a sense of accomplishment. But in the case of getting depressed over the state of the world, human nature, or things in your life that you no control over, it's different...

Like I said, just speaking from personal experience. It honestly didn't block anything out for me, or really give me a sense of accomplishment. It may have raised my self esteem a little (though oddly I seemed to have more luck with the ladies when I was a fat slob, go figure) but that didn't make my problems go away or become any less evident for me. All the issues I had, both personally and with the world just seemed silly after a while. I think I've just become more accepting that there is very little I have control over most things other than the majority of my own life, therefore, there's no point stressing out over things that other people do, or things happening in the world. Bad things happen to everyone and there is lots of evil in the world. It's existed long before I was born and will continue to exist long after I am dead. What's the point of letting it get you down? Accept it and move on. And most things in your life, you do have the power to change. People just think they don't because they're, well, frankly pretty lazy. You can pretty much change or accomplish anything in your life if you put enough effort into it. People just think that they can't because it's often too much work to bother with, so they'd rather lay on the couch thinking about how much their life sucks instead of getting out and doing something about it.
07.08.2012 - 12:31
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
So many depressed people in the world :/
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.08.2012 - 08:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Thrashette on 15.06.2012 at 15:46

Written by Darkfiber on 15.06.2012 at 03:34

...oh, and kitties.

I found that escaping your everyday routine helps alot... you know changing your environement for awhile.. I don't mean like changing how shits are placed in your house lol
but really about taking time for you, having a trip somewhere, some kind of vacations, experiencing something new for a short period of time and going away from all the bullshit that surrounds you, you might see it as another way of ignoring the problem, but idk for me it actually helps. When I feel like shit I go away somewhere, a road trip or anything or the likes. Sometimes routine (whether its work, school or anything else) can change your mood drastically and you don't even realize it, that it is the actual problem. Anyways it works for me.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.08.2012 - 14:20
axelx666
I have anxiety,depression,and emotional problems..

it's hard to keep it under control sometimes

and i feel suicidal sometimes to be honest,

let's just say growing up i had a rough time and i think that contributed to it.

i think i get it from my father, he's always so negative and complaining about providing for the family and such..

and it also could be the years of constant bullying too.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
09.08.2012 - 15:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by axelx666 on 09.08.2012 at 14:20
I have anxiety,depression,and emotional problems.

Have you actually been diagnosed with these?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.08.2012 - 17:40
Thrashette
Written by Guib on 09.08.2012 at 08:43

I found that escaping your everyday routine helps alot... you know changing your environement for awhile.. I don't mean like changing how shits are placed in your house lol
but really about taking time for you, having a trip somewhere, some kind of vacations, experiencing something new for a short period of time and going away from all the bullshit that surrounds you, you might see it as another way of ignoring the problem, but idk for me it actually helps. When I feel like shit I go away somewhere, a road trip or anything or the likes. Sometimes routine (whether its work, school or anything else) can change your mood drastically and you don't even realize it, that it is the actual problem. Anyways it works for me.

I've found that too... Routine makes me get bored of life, which ends up turning into depression and sometimes even recklessness. Having fun crazy nights out every so often is probably another way I maintain sanity and it gives me something to look forward to. But of course there's times when I just don't want to be near people (or at least not the usual people) for a good while or would rather just relax.
09.08.2012 - 21:21
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 00:40

To be honest that advice would kill me. If I hit rock bottom I know exactly what I need to do this time in order to "properly" kill myself. I need to take steps every day to make sure I don't fall into my mind's traps. I have flashbacks that wake me up in the middle of the night (I wouldn't call them night terrors but they're pretty extreme) and I'm constantly waging wars in my head just to stay above water.

you seem to be fighting a war in your head. i would like to suggest this video. It might be something that might interest you. If not forget this suggestion.
10.08.2012 - 06:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I have no need for guides or anything now; I've taken measures to see to it I don't let myself fall back into the hole I was in before. Without drugs, I might add, which makes it even more satisfactory to me after having so many doctors try to push all different kinds of pills on me for all kinds of illnesses I know I didn't suffer from.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2012 - 12:55
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.08.2012 at 06:12
even more satisfactory to me after having so many doctors try to push all different kinds of pills on me for all kinds of illnesses I know I didn't suffer from.

You did the right thing. Those kind of meds are the worst.
10.08.2012 - 14:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.08.2012 at 06:12

I have no need for guides or anything now; I've taken measures to see to it I don't let myself fall back into the hole I was in before. Without drugs, I might add, which makes it even more satisfactory to me after having so many doctors try to push all different kinds of pills on me for all kinds of illnesses I know I didn't suffer from.

That's great, I think some people are waiting for that miracle pill that will instantly make their life better or something, when (I'd say in around half the cases) people suffering from depression can find ways to cure themselves through exercise,

I've found that exercise and making/playing music work wonders, it makes you focus that negative energy into something and in the end you're free from it. I normally take whatever Marcel says with a pinch of salt, but I believe him when he says that doomsters are very positive people: all those bad vibes are externalized.
10.08.2012 - 15:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 10.08.2012 at 14:05
(I'd say in around half the cases) people suffering from depression can find ways to cure themselves through exercise.

I don't think you can limit it to just exercise to be honest - although it's definitely helpful advice to suggest people get active. Working your endorphins and burning energy and getting in shape which helps you feel better about yourself etc. etc. is all good, but I found my way doing a lot of different mental exercises, not physical ones. A lot of meditation and personal journeys in dreams and whatnot.
----
10.08.2012 - 17:14
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.08.2012 at 15:39

A lot of meditation and personal journeys in dreams and whatnot.

Guru Troy
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.08.2012 - 17:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.08.2012 at 17:14
Guru Troy

I felt like Piccolo, always sitting around deep in thought.
----
10.08.2012 - 20:29
Mattybu

That Piccolo?
11.08.2012 - 05:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Aye, that Piccolo.
----
11.08.2012 - 12:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.08.2012 at 05:28

Aye, that Piccolo.

Is there another one? o.o
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.08.2012 - 15:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't think so.
----
12.08.2012 - 00:47
Mattybu
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.08.2012 at 12:53

Aye, that Piccolo.

I could have sworn there was.
12.08.2012 - 21:41
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.08.2012 at 12:53

Aye, that Piccolo.

Yes. A pretty darn awful one.

12.08.2012 - 22:18
FOOCK Nam

is that guy in the real-human movie ?
14.08.2012 - 01:58
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Okay guys, if you feel burdened (slightly or A WHOLE FUCKIN' LOT), feel a need to vent and don't feel like moving away from your keyboards to do it, this is a good place.
----
7.0 means the album is good