07. In The End
08. The Giant
09. Hymn 2
10. Judas Priest
11. Crawl
12. The Constant
13. Revolution Screams
14. New Noise [Refused cover] [bonus]

Let us get this out of the way immediately: yes, it's true, Worship Music only has about three thrash songs on it. Yes, "Fight 'Em 'Till You Can't" bears some striking similarities to "Gridlock" off of Persistence Of Time. Joey Belladonna is overdubbed a lot. Most of the album is slow or mid-paced. Essentially, this album is different. It is not the same Anthrax that Joey left In 1992. If you hit 'play' expecting to hear "Indians" or "Time," you will be sadly disappointed. However, on its own merits, Worship Music is a masterpiece.

The production on this album is slick and professional, making Worship Music both very modern-sounding and one of Anthrax's heaviest records to date. The band members themselves sound appropriately rejuvenated, perhaps even more psyched for their big comeback than their loyal fans. If there is one thing this album does not lack, it is energy. You can almost feel Scott Ian's shamelessly goofy grin poking through the wall of guitars. Certainly most of the songs are slower than the typical thrash fan could appreciate, but the passion with which each note was played is palpable. "In the End," a tribute to the late Dimebag Darrell and Ronnie James Dio, is saturated with the kind of sincerity not often found in Anthrax's works. "Judas Priest" (another tribute, believe it or not) is equal parts catchy and crushing - without a doubt one of the high points of the album. One of the most noteworthy characteristics of this album is that the songs are far more melodic than much of Anthrax's previous material. They seem to trade speed and intensity for accessibility, but remain truly Anthrax nonetheless.

Some critics contend that the band tries too hard to sound like Nickelback on this album. It is true that Worship Music is incredibly poppy by thrash standards; given the typical thrash fan's musical predilections, it is no surprise that this new- and fresh-sounding release has drawn numerous comparisons to modern "hard rock" bands. At the same time, it would not be fair to abandon Anthrax so quickly. Perhaps it just takes a few runs through, but this album will grow on you. "I'm Alive" is one of the most driving and infectious songs I have heard all year, and I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining when they performed it in concert.

Ultimately, Worship Music is a very atypical album for Anthrax, but it deserves an open mind. Anthrax fans especially should be open to experimentation; after all, when have these guys ever done what people expected? In my opinion, Worship Music is the best thing Anthrax has ever released. It may take some getting used to, especially if you were expecting breakneck speeds and a dozen mosh-able tracks, but overall this taste is worth acquiring.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by ScreamingSteelUS | 24.12.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
I contracted my first case of Anthrax in '87 when a friend started blaring "I'm The Man!" in his truck one night. Was hoping for the best on this album? and went back nearly 25 years for the inspiration for this review.

Hit play and sing along!

Now they're Anthrax and they take no shit
Over the last three years had eight vocalists

Read more ››
published 15.09.2011 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
Iron Nostarion
Rating:
Eight years have passed since Anthrax, the so-called "kings of mosh", last released a studio album. Although their heavy metal shift (from their thrash origins) wasn't causing much anticipation for this album at first, several announcements and the return of Joey Belladonna, as well as the online promotional release of the excellent track "Fight 'Em Til You Can't", caused this album to be one of the most anticipated metal albums of the year. A decent amount of people were expecting it to be a groundbreaking thrash metal album, including myself, and most others at least expected it to be a somehow solid release.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
"At last!" one might shout being finally able to lay hands on the newest Anthrax effort, Worship Music. Eight long years we waited for some new material. Well, alright, new material released officially on CD. It's easy to assume that the role of this album - apart from bringing some good music of course - was to prove that Anthrax didn't vanish and are still here to remind the youngsters what thrashing is all about. Did they manage to do it? Well...

Read more ››
published 01.02.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 50   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 143 users
24.12.2011 - 06:37
Mattybu
I don't think I'll ever acquire enough of a taste for this one... Not quite a masterpiece in my eyes but hey, to each his own.
12.01.2012 - 06:59
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
You rated this their best work ever? wow. just wow. i'm speechless.

to each their own, i guess.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.01.2012 - 13:43
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Good review, and I agree the album is great, even though I wouldn't go as far as to say it's their best album. But it probably is their best album since Persistence, and is definitely their best since "Sound Of White Noise".
12.01.2012 - 19:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
9.6 for this artificial pseudo music from an exhausted band? Seriously?
12.01.2012 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 12.01.2012 at 19:46

9.6 for this artificial pseudo music from an exhausted band? Seriously?

Anything above a 7 is already laughable let alone anything above a 9.5 meaning it would be a classic
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 19:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It's funny that no matter whether an album is rated low or highly in a review, the reviewer gets slated for it by some... you've just got to laugh. :\
12.01.2012 - 20:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 19:58

It's funny that no matter whether an album is rated low or highly in a review, the reviewer gets slated for it by some... you've just got to laugh. :\

Those who think that an album is rated waaay to high or too low will react like that, which is the case here. Nothing unusual.
12.01.2012 - 20:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 12.01.2012 at 20:13
Those who think that an album is rated waaay to high or too low will react like that, which is the case here. Nothing unusual.

It's not, but any time people slate a reviewer for rating an album "too low", a slew of people will get on their back about it, and say they can't accept someone being negative about a band they like. But then the exactly same thing happens just as much when people think a reviewer has scored an album "too highly", but somehow, this is usually seen as more acceptable. Either way, it's a refusal to accept that someone has a view on an album that's different from your own that's also perfectly legitimate.
12.01.2012 - 20:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 20:18
Either way, it's a refusal to accept that someone has a view on an album that's different from your own that's also perfectly legitimate.

Now this is where you are wrong. You call it refusal, I call it just stating your opinion and their opinion (and mine too) is that the reviewer hyped this album a lot. I fail to see what's so wrong in posting that. In no way are they attacking anyone here. What's is the problem in saying that you strongly disagree with them?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 20:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.01.2012 at 20:27
Now this is where you are wrong imo. You call it refusal, I call just stating your opinion. and their opinion (and mine too) is that the reviewer hyped this album a lot. I fail to see what's so wrong in posting that.

It is wrong if they would also get on someone's back for saying a reviewer was too harsh on an album. Because that is hypocrisy. There's absolutely no difference between saying a reviewer has "over-hyped" an album, and saying that a reviewer has been unfairly harsh. The only difference is, that the latter attitude seems to be vilified, whereas the former is seen as perfectly acceptable. Whether it's refusal or just stating your opinion totally depends on how you view people who say they strongly disagree with a negative review. Why is one point of view more legitimate than another?
12.01.2012 - 20:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
9.6??!? Wow I remember my first CD
12.01.2012 - 20:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 12.01.2012 at 20:34

Lulz.
12.01.2012 - 20:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 12.01.2012 at 20:34

You won the thread.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 20:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Quote:
It is wrong if they would also get on someone's back for saying a reviewer was too harsh on an album. Because that is hypocrisy.

Ehmmmmmmmmmm no. Seriously, you seem to have a problem with people disagreeing with other people. Everyone has the right to agree or disagree with anyone, that person could be the reviewer and his rating being too low or too high... That person could also be another user who is disagreeing with the reviewer. How is it hipocrisy to do both things (and none of them) at the same times if we are talking about completely different bands, cds, reviews, people, etc.

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 20:33
Whether it's refusal or just stating your opinion totally depends on how you view people who say they strongly disagree with a negative review.

I'm not seeing anyone here refusing and disrespecting someone's opinion. My opinion, Marcel's, Daniell's or Craig's opinion is just as valid as the reviewers or yours and no one that posted before your second comment actually said that the reviewer's opinion isn't worth anything. Unless it is written, I don't see why you are calling it a refusal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 20:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think if you're going to give an inordinately high or low score to a band/album where the consensus on their quality is less than solid then you need to be prepared for some kind of backlash or sarcastic comments. An occupational hazzard if you will.

Daniel's response was an opinion, albeit an opinion laced with personality. Sometimes being polite doesn't really get one's point across. Nothing wrong with a bit of rough and tumble, it's not like he was being out of order.
12.01.2012 - 21:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.01.2012 at 20:50
Ehmmmmmmmmmm no. Seriously, you seem to have a problem with people disagreeing with other people. Everyone has the right to agree or disagree with anyone, that person could be the reviewer and his rating being too low or too high... That person could also be another user who is disagreeing with the reviewer. How is it hipocrisy to do both things (and none of them) at the same times if we are talking about completely different bands, cds, reviews, people, etc.

No, I have problem with people thinking their point of view is superior, or more legitimate than other people's. I am perfectly capable of disagreeing with someone about an album, but still treat their opinion with as much legitimacy as my own. There is a world of difference between those two attitudes, so no, I have absolutely no problem with people disagreeing with other people. You're just reading what I'm saying in the wrong way.

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 20:33
I'm not seeing anyone here refusing and disrespecting someone's opinion. My opinion, Marcel's, Daniell's or Craig's opinion is just as valid as the reviewers or yours and no one that posted before your second comment actually said that the reviewer's opinion isn't worth anything. Unless it is written, I don't see why you are calling it a refusal.

I didn't say they weren't valid. I just find it funny that strongly disagreeing with a negative review is generally looked down upon, but doing the same thing to a positive review is generally not seen in the same light. But why not? I really see no difference at all.
12.01.2012 - 21:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:05
You're just reading what I'm saying in the wrong way.

The reason why I'm reading things the wrong way is probably because I see nothing of the things you are talking about in this very thread. No one was trying to be superior than anyone else. Not even if Im saying that something laughable means that I try to be superior that someone else.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 21:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.01.2012 at 20:56

I think if you're going to give an inordinately high or low score to a band/album where the consensus on their quality is less than solid then you need to be prepared for some kind of backlash or sarcastic comments. An occupational hazzard if you will.

Whilst that is very true, it seems to only be backlashes and sarcastic comments against inordinately low scoring reviews that seem to come in for a lot of criticsm, and disdain. I'm just wondering why that is, when to me, there is no difference between harshly critiquing a high scoring review, and doing the same thing to a low scoring one. I guess what I'm really getting at is, blind fanboys are highly annoying, but the people at the opposite extreme end of the wedge are really not much better.
12.01.2012 - 21:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Both get as much flak it seems you're just somehow blind to that fact.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 21:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2012 at 21:17

My point exactly, I probably look for other places in the website but from what I see... Fanboys are just as despised as haters so it's pretty equal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 21:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:14

Whilst that is very true, it seems to only be backlashes and sarcastic comments against inordinately low scoring reviews that seem to come in for a lot of criticsm. I'm just wondering why that is, when to me, there is no difference between harshly critiquing a high scoring review, and a low scoring one. I guess what I'm really getting at is, blind fanboys are highly annoying, but the people at the opposite extreme end of the wedge are really not much better.

I'm not really aware of criticism tipped either way. People will bitch if the album score doesn't coincide with their own. If it makes you feel better go look at the first comment for Daniel's Nevermore review ;]
12.01.2012 - 21:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious

If you actually read what I said, then you'd be aware that I actually did say they both get just as much flak. The point I'm making is, the flak on one side seems to be seen as perfectly acceptable, and justifiable, whereas the flak on the other side is treated as merely the domain of the blind fanboy. If you harshly critique a low scoring review, especially of a popular band, you're usually automatically branded a blind fanboy. Harsh critiques of high scoring reviews seem to be treated far more favourably, than the opposite way around.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.01.2012 at 21:19
My point exactly, I probably look for other places in the website but from what I see... Fanboys are just as despised as haters so it's pretty equal.

I'd say they are despised far more, despite being no worse than the haters. At least from what I see and read on this site, that is my experience.
12.01.2012 - 21:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:24

If you actually read what I said, then you'd be aware that I actually did say they both get just as much flak. The point I'm making is, the flak on one side seems to be seen as perfectly acceptable, and justifiable, whereas the flak on the other side is treated as merely the domain of the blind fanboy. If you harshly critique a low scoring review, especially of a popular band, you're usually automatically branded a blind fanboy. Harsh critiques of high scoring reviews seem to be treated far more favourably, than the opposite way around.

And that's where you're wrong, both are treated in the same way.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:24

I'd say they are despised far more, despite being no worse than the haters. At least from what I see and read on this site, that is my experience.

Like I said they are despised just as much. And imo lovers are worse than haters because they will blindly love anything that said band releases whereas haters at least think about what they hate about the releases.
Haters gonna hate (actually that isn't the case at all cause from time to time they will also love) and lovers gonna love.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 21:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2012 at 21:28

In my experience, that is not the case. I don't pretend to read every review on this site, in fact there's quite a lot I don't read. All I can say is, from what I have read and seen, they aren't treated the same way.
12.01.2012 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:31
All I can say is, from what I have read and seen, they aren't treated the same way.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2012 at 21:28

Bottom line being: There's no point of saying that something is/isn't happening if it only happens/doesn't happen under your perspective. It will obviously lead to an useless discussion like this one.

Plus: In my opinion... It's harder to justify a positive review than a negative one because there's a lot more to back up. The failure to do is what most people attack which is totally understandable from my point of view. Case in point, while I can clearly see the review matching with what I say is a positive review, there's nothing that really tells me that this album is really THAT good and why it's the best thing Anthrax has done. That's what I don't get from many reviews despite if I agree or not with the overall opinion of the review.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2012 - 21:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.01.2012 at 21:35
Bottom line being: There's no point of saying that something is happening if it only happens under your perspective. It will obviously lead to an useless discussion like this one.

Plus: In my opinion... It's harder to justify a positive review than a negative one. The failure to do is what most people attack which is totally understandable from my point of view. Case in point, while I can clearly see the review matching with what I say is a positive review, there's nothing that really tells me that this album is really THAT good and why it's the best thing Anthrax has done. That's what I don't get from many reviews despite if I like the album or not.

In that case, unless you're all seeing and all knowing, there's no point in anyone saying anything. All I can go by, is my own experience, and at the end of the day, isn't that all any of us can do?

But surely the point here is, seeing as you don't agree that the album is really that good, NOTHING any reviewer could say would make you believe that, because you simply don't. Which I guess is my whole point. If you don't agree with a reviewer's point of view, then no matter how they put the review, or word it, you will feel no different in the end, because their opinion is one that you don't share. So really, in this light, it's no harder to justify a positive review than a negative one. Because in either case, you can word your review in any way possible, but it will not stop some people from picking holes in it, because the end opinion, is one that isn't agreed with.

My point is, nobody has to "justify" why they view an album in the way the way do, and in any case, justifyng it at least to everyone, is something that simply isn't possible. Because nobody agrees on everything, and not everyone likes the same things. So how is it possible to justify something like an album score? The answer is, it isn't possible.
12.01.2012 - 21:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:49
So how is it possible to justify something like an album score? The answer is, it isn't possible.

That's what the review is for...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2012 - 21:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.01.2012 at 21:22

I'm not really aware of criticism tipped either way. People will bitch if the album score doesn't coincide with their own. If it makes you feel better go look at the first comment for Daniel's Nevermore review ;]

Funny you mention that, because I had that review in mind just a few minutes ago when I was reading this thread And as anyone can see if they read some of my more controversial reviews, I can understand that some people can have completely different opinions and I respect those opinions. I always rate albums the way I feel I should and never ever give a whirling fuck about how much outrage my ratings may stir up. And since I have respect for those who criticise my opinions, I expect the same in return

Besides, if we all stopped arguing about ratings, the forums would be about 60% smaller
12.01.2012 - 21:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 21:49

My point is, nobody has to "jusitfy" why they view an album in the way the way do,...

yes, they do, that's the entire point of a review. Putting across why or why not you find something brilliant or crap. If that is done then I can still disagree with it of course, but I won't attack said person cause of the way he put his point of view across. Here the reviewer just says it's Anthrax's best ever without stating why.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5716 | This month: 3