Metal Storm logo
Guns N' Roses

Original post

Posted by Eight, 18.05.2006 - 13:36
I do belive that all of you know this band, don't you ? So i guess ill be the one who creates this thread.
I hear peoplesaying that Guns'n'Roses would be better off whitout Axel! i think not, whats done is done, and there couldnt be G'n'R whitout Axels Guns
27.09.2007 - 07:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 05:32

Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2007 at 02:46

Written by Guest on 26.09.2007 at 23:10

Last time I checked..Guns N' Roses was metal; not rock.

Last time I checked your clearly under the wrong impression. Hard rock is what they are. While yes they do have some heavy songs that could fit under metal like 'Welcome To The Jungle' and the heavy part of 'Paradise City' you'll notice that an even bigger portion are songs like 'Think About You' or 'Nightrain' or 'Its So Easy' (which can even be considered a punk type song by some). Not to mention all of GnRs influences come from rock, not really metal, like Aerosmith or Rose Tattoo and those type blues rock based bands.

Did MTV tell you they were metal?

Last time I checked Rose Tattoo was metal too. And no; Mtv didn't tell me they were metal. I don't watch TV, Anyways every book I have read about metal attributes GNR as a metal band too.

Please explain to me why GnR is Metal as I was so kind enough to explain why they are in fact hard rock, not metal. I suppose Aerosmith and Kiss are metal then too eh? Im not denying metal influences nor am I denying any impact they had on metal, but for the most part they are hard rock. Books are really another form of the media that could be just as misinformed as TV, I dont get why written word over a visual source is more trustworthy in any way? Especially since alot of books are very wrong, I read a book on supposedly heavy metal that focused on Aerosmith for a large section, and even discussed the Eagles for a short period of time. The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal I think it was called, it seemed like it was written by someone whod only been listening to metal for a week then just discussed antics and rumours you see on VH1 the whole time. Seriously, focused on Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Def Leppard and that was pretty much it.

I'll even cite wiki, very first sentence on the Guns N Roses page: Guns N' Roses is an American hard rock band...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_n_roses
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.09.2007 - 07:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 03:56

I certainly agree they're Hard Rock, I've always seen them as being that

Then why do we bother arguing friend?
----
- George Carlin
27.09.2007 - 09:03
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2007 at 07:43

Last time I checked your clearly under the wrong impression. Hard rock is what they are. While yes they do have some heavy songs that could fit under metal like 'Welcome To The Jungle' and the heavy part of 'Paradise City' you'll notice that an even bigger portion are songs like 'Think About You' or 'Nightrain' or 'Its So Easy' (which can even be considered a punk type song by some). Not to mention all of GnRs influences come from rock, not really metal, like Aerosmith or Rose Tattoo and those type blues rock based bands.

Last time I checked Rose Tattoo was metal too. And no; Mtv didn't tell me they were metal. I don't watch TV, Anyways every book I have read about metal attributes GNR as a metal band too.

Please explain to me why GnR is Metal as I was so kind enough to explain why they are in fact hard rock, not metal. I suppose Aerosmith and Kiss are metal then too eh? Im not denying metal influences nor am I denying any impact they had on metal, but for the most part they are hard rock. Books are really another form of the media that could be just as misinformed as TV, I dont get why written word over a visual source is more trustworthy in any way? Especially since alot of books are very wrong, I read a book on supposedly heavy metal that focused on Aerosmith for a large section, and even discussed the Eagles for a short period of time. The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal I think it was called, it seemed like it was written by someone whod only been listening to metal for a week then just discussed antics and rumours you see on VH1 the whole time. Seriously, focused on Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Def Leppard and that was pretty much it.

I'll even cite wiki, very first sentence on the Guns N Roses page: Guns N' Roses is an American hard rock band...

Wikipedia is opinions too. Kiss is metal; I mean obviously. Have you ever read Fargo Rock City? Have you ever read Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict? Have you ever read Sound of the Beast?
27.09.2007 - 09:48
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2007 at 07:52

Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 03:56

I certainly agree they're Hard Rock, I've always seen them as being that

Then why do we bother arguing friend?

I wasn't trying to argue that they weren't, I was only correcting you on a previous assertion
27.09.2007 - 18:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 09:03

Wikipedia is opinions too. Kiss is metal; I mean obviously. Have you ever read Fargo Rock City? Have you ever read Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict? Have you ever read Sound of the Beast?

Unless those books make sound then I dont see how they would prove in any way that Kiss are metal. No I havnt read them, and I'll repeat, JUST BECAUSE ITS WRITTEN WORD DOES NOT MEAN ITS RIGHT! It seems every band coming out of the 80s with long hair and guitars should be considered metal these days. It comes down to this, the sound, most of there obvious influences are blues rock, and thats what comes through.
----
- George Carlin
27.09.2007 - 22:05
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2007 at 18:45

Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 09:03

Unless those books make sound then I dont see how they would prove in any way that Kiss are metal. No I havnt read them, and I'll repeat, JUST BECAUSE ITS WRITTEN WORD DOES NOT MEAN ITS RIGHT! It seems every band coming out of the 80s with long hair and guitars should be considered metal these days. It comes down to this, the sound, most of there obvious influences are blues rock, and thats what comes through.

Metal is and I repeat is influenced by blues and rock. Guns N' Roses definitely was influenced by blues and rock too but they were a metal band. Wikipedia is also written words and you were using it as your source, so therefore I don't see what is wrong with my sources. And who assumes that every band coming out in the 80s with long hair and guitars is metal? I mean Journey came out in the 80s; they aren't metal and they have long hair and guitars. REO Speedwagon came out in the 80s and they had long hair and guitars but they weren't metal. I'm not assuming anything along those lines. I am going clearly by sound and presentation. Guns N' Roses, Kiss, and Rose Tattoo are all metal.
28.09.2007 - 00:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.09.2007 at 22:05

Metal is and I repeat is influenced by blues and rock. Guns N' Roses definitely was influenced by blues and rock too but they were a metal band. Wikipedia is also written words and you were using it as your source, so therefore I don't see what is wrong with my sources. And who assumes that every band coming out in the 80s with long hair and guitars is metal? I mean Journey came out in the 80s; they aren't metal and they have long hair and guitars. REO Speedwagon came out in the 80s and they had long hair and guitars but they weren't metal. I'm not assuming anything along those lines. I am going clearly by sound and presentation. Guns N' Roses, Kiss, and Rose Tattoo are all metal.

First of all, I was citing Wiki to show you that what your quoting from has no say over anything I say. I was also mocking you about the long hair-guitars part, because Kiss clearly arent metal either.

"The only real rock 'n' roll band to came out of LA in the last ten years"-Axl

I went through almost every one of the interviews (link posted below) and I dont think I saw metal (in refferance to themselves) mentioned more than 5 times (if at all), but the times the term Rock N Roll, rock or hard rock came up, both by the interviewer and the band reffering to themselves is quite a bit, almost every interview opens up with that.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/index.php
I win, thank you.
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 02:33
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 00:30

First of all, I was citing Wiki to show you that what your quoting from has no say over anything I say. I was also mocking you about the long hair-guitars part, because Kiss clearly arent metal either.

I went through almost every one of the interviews (link posted below) and I dont think I saw metal (in refferance to themselves) mentioned more than 5 times (if at all), but the times the term Rock N Roll, rock or hard rock came up, both by the interviewer and the band reffering to themselves is quite a bit, almost every interview opens up with that.

I win, thank you.

Hahaha you definitely don't get the privilege to decide as to whom wins or loses. Now explain to me exactly why Kiss is not metal..I'd love to hear this one. As for Guns N' Roses I still firmly stand with my same thoughts and opinions since the beginning of this discussion. If you are trying to change my mind or prove me wrong; it obviously isn't working. I still think I am right and I probably always will. Oh and about mocking me..if you didn't notice I was mocking you in return. I think this whole discussion is about opinions if you ask me.

PS. You spelled "refferance" and "reffering" both wrong.
28.09.2007 - 04:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 02:33

I win, thank you.

Hahaha you definitely don't get the privilege to decide as to whom wins or loses. Now explain to me exactly why Kiss is not metal..I'd love to hear this one. As for Guns N' Roses I still firmly stand with my same thoughts and opinions since the beginning of this discussion. If you are trying to change my mind or prove me wrong; it obviously isn't working. I still think I am right and I probably always will. Oh and about mocking me..if you didn't notice I was mocking you in return. I think this whole discussion is about opinions if you ask me.

What are you the bloody grammar patrol now? So I got a couple letters wrong on an internet forum, that must mean your smarter than me. Genre definition has little to do with opinion, some bands are what they are, GnR is hard rock, Shania Twain is country, 50 Cent is rap etc... Since I supplied a good argument as to why GnR is in fact not metal, would you like to do the general public a favour and explain why ALMOST EVERY EDUCATED PERSON IS WRONG in your eyes?
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 04:15
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 04:06

I win, thank you.

What are you the bloody grammar patrol now? So I got a couple letters wrong on an internet forum, that must mean your smarter than me. Genre definition has little to do with opinion, some bands are what they are, GnR is hard rock, Shania Twain is country, 50 Cent is rap etc... Since I supplied a good argument as to why GnR is in fact not metal, would you like to do the general public a favour and explain why ALMOST EVERY EDUCATED PERSON IS WRONG in your eyes?

Give me some examples of educated people I have considered wrong.
28.09.2007 - 04:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 04:15

I win, thank you.

Well, the general consensus is that GnR is hard rock, wiki pages are put together by all sorts of people contributing, people interviewing the band in those interviews, the band itself, not to mention the GnR thread was put in the rock forum for a reason, and your the first person to bring up an argument that GnR is metal not rock. You still have yet to explain to me why you consider them metal?
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 04:21
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 04:18

I win, thank you.

Well, the general consensus is that GnR is hard rock, wiki pages are put together by all sorts of people contributing, people interviewing the band in those interviews, the band itself, not to mention the GnR thread was put in the rock forum for a reason, and your the first person to bring up an argument that GnR is metal not rock. You still have yet to explain to me why you consider them metal?

You still have yet to explain to me why Kiss is not metal. I guess we are even
28.09.2007 - 04:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 04:21

I win, thank you.

This isn't the Kiss thread nor is it the matter at hand, are you just side-tracking because you know your wrong? Answer my question and we'll take this to the Kiss thread so I can prove you wrong there as well.
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 05:03
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 04:24

Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 04:21

I win, thank you.

This isn't the Kiss thread nor is it the matter at hand, are you just side-tracking because you know your wrong? Answer my question and we'll take this to the Kiss thread so I can prove you wrong there as well.

Okay. In January of 1989 GNR won an American music award for Best Pop/Rock Single; or something along those lines. However at that same award show they were nominated for Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist and Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Album which was Appetite for Destruction if my memory serves me correct. Hence the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock in that sentence. I never said that they weren't hard rock; I simply said that they were metal. Now; In September of that same year the band won an MTV music award for the video "Sweet Child O' Mine" for being Best Heavy Metal Video. Now hence the Heavy Metal in that last sentence. I just remembered that on the band's Myspace account they consider themselves rock and metal. Now I have three GNR albums. I assure you that they sound quite like heavy metal to the ear. Now I would define heavy metal in a nutshell as to being blues inspired, aggressive guitars, loud, and lyrics pertaining to grandiose experiences. I think GNR covers all those points; quite well indeed if I do say so myself. If I remember correctly GNR toured with Iron Maiden. Now I assume that Maiden would choose to at least tour with a band that was metal. Oh wait, this band is metal. So now why isn't Kiss metal?
28.09.2007 - 05:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 05:03

Okay. In January of 1989 GNR won an American music award for Best Pop/Rock Single; or something along those lines. However at that same award show they were nominated for Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist and Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Album which was Appetite for Destruction if my memory serves me correct. Hence the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock in that sentence. I never said that they weren't hard rock; I simply said that they were metal. Now; In September of that same year the band won an MTV music award for the video "Sweet Child O' Mine" for being Best Heavy Metal Video. Now hence the Heavy Metal in that last sentence. I just remembered that on the band's Myspace account they consider themselves rock and metal. Now I have three GNR albums. I assure you that they sound quite like heavy metal to the ear. Now I would define heavy metal in a nutshell as to being blues inspired, aggressive guitars, loud, and lyrics pertaining to grandiose experiences. I think GNR covers all those points; quite well indeed if I do say so myself. If I remember correctly GNR toured with Iron Maiden. Now I assume that Maiden would choose to at least tour with a band that was metal. Oh wait, this band is metal. So now why isn't Kiss metal?

OK, so when I inquired earlier if you thought they were metal because MTV told you they were you said no, so MTV never should have come up in that sentence, secondly I forget what year it was but Jethro Tull beat out Metalica for best metal video/single award on MTV, so MTV is unreliable. Secondly it says Hard Rock/Metal, so you have to take into account there including bands from both genres, not bands that could just fall into both genres simultaneously. So that means hard rock bands, and some metal bands aswell. Thirdly there myspace, yes it does say metal, but you'll notice when registering an artist/band there is no option for hard rock, and rock gets thrown about so easily these days, and yes I'll agree Guns N Roses does have metal influences, but thats really what hard rock is. Also theres no proof that myspace page is band run, in fact im almost positive it isnt. Theres also nothing that says a metal band HAS to tour with another metal band, for example Danzig toured with Belphegor not to long ago. Not every metal band has blues influences and not every hard rock band with blues influences is metal, but surely you must be able to tell the difference between blues rock and blues influenced metal? or can you?.....
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 05:38
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 05:28

OK, so when I inquired earlier if you thought they were metal because MTV told you they were you said no, so MTV never should have come up in that sentence, secondly I forget what year it was but Jethro Tull beat out Metalica for best metal video/single award on MTV, so MTV is unreliable. Secondly it says Hard Rock/Metal, so you have to take into account there including bands from both genres, not bands that could just fall into both genres simultaneously. So that means hard rock bands, and some metal bands aswell. Thirdly there myspace, yes it does say metal, but you'll notice when registering an artist/band there is no option for hard rock, and rock gets thrown about so easily these days, and yes I'll agree Guns N Roses does have metal influences, but thats really what hard rock is. Also theres no proof that myspace page is band run, in fact im almost positive it isnt. Theres also nothing that says a metal band HAS to tour with another metal band, for example Danzig toured with Belphegor not to long ago. Not every metal band has blues influences and not every hard rock band with blues influences is metal, but surely you must be able to tell the difference between blues rock and blues influenced metal? or can you?.....

Danzig is metal. And of course I used MTV; I really don't see anything wrong with that. I never said GNR wasn't hard rock, I simply said they were metal. And yes we all know that Jethro Tull beat Metallica and that it was a huge fluke. Although I'm not talking about Jethro Tull, I am talking about Guns N' Roses and I still think they are metal. An example of Blues rock would be Led Zeppelin, hell even the Who could fall into that category. I'm simply saying that although Guns N' Roses might be that it doesn't mean that they can't be metal now does it?
28.09.2007 - 06:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 05:38

Danzig is metal. And of course I used MTV; I really don't see anything wrong with that. I never said GNR wasn't hard rock, I simply said they were metal. And yes we all know that Jethro Tull beat Metallica and that it was a huge fluke. Although I'm not talking about Jethro Tull, I am talking about Guns N' Roses and I still think they are metal. An example of Blues rock would be Led Zeppelin, hell even the Who could fall into that category. I'm simply saying that although Guns N' Roses might be that it doesn't mean that they can't be metal now does it?

Whats wrong with MTV? the fact that they revolve around pop music and they judge what is the best from each category based on reception from there own viewers, who are generally the same people being force fed the rest of the crap and dont have any knowledge of what metal actually is. But now I ask myself, whats the point of arguing? there in the rock forum, there gonna stay here and its common knowledge they are rock, not metal, so why should I care if one misinformed person disagrees.
----
- George Carlin
28.09.2007 - 07:48
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2007 at 06:40

Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 05:38

Whats wrong with MTV? the fact that they revolve around pop music and they judge what is the best from each category based on reception from there own viewers, who are generally the same people being force fed the rest of the crap and dont have any knowledge of what metal actually is. But now I ask myself, whats the point of arguing? there in the rock forum, there gonna stay here and its common knowledge they are rock, not metal, so why should I care if one misinformed person disagrees.

Ya,s o I guess it is good you finally came around. I am happy for you! Hmm..this was mentally exhausting..glad it's over.
28.09.2007 - 14:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My god, here they go again rewriting history, being revisionist concerning if something is metal or not.

Now let me tell you from someone who grew with those bands and started listening to bands such as Kiss in 1979.

At the time bands such as Kiss and later on G 'n' R were considered METAL as well as HARD ROCK, those two terms were interchangable. Hard rock and metal are in that respect the same umbrella term.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2007 - 20:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.09.2007 at 14:42

My god, here they go again rewriting history, being revisionist concerning if something is metal or not.

Now let me tell you from someone who grew with those bands and started listening to bands such as Kiss in 1979.

At the time bands such as Kiss and later on G 'n' R were considered METAL as well as HARD ROCK, those two terms were interchangable. Hard rock and metal are in that respect the same umbrella term.

Same like all bands who wear black n write evil lyrics and use pentagrams was 'black metal' I hear that Motley Crue, Morbid Angel, was called BM,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.10.2007 - 11:51
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Well, not many bands play exclusively one style of music, so it's pointless to argue about which style GnR is playing. They are hard rock more than anything else IMO, but it's just my opinion. People quarrel on different forums whether e.g. Nightwish is gothic or not, and believe me, I've got no idea who is right and who isn't, everyone is right in a way. It's all irrelevant, it's important whether you like them or not. And Ellie, please check my spelingg
----
19.10.2007 - 02:39
fadman
SLASH is the best killer guitar in the world
18.12.2007 - 16:34
RhysTerk
Why discuss if they are metal or hard rock?
They fucking rocks anyway
31.12.2007 - 10:25
Lord TJ
Thought this was pretty funny...

----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
31.12.2007 - 12:38
Fuath
the new gunners is gonna be shit, axel really sucks the dick nowadays, no offense, he was once great,
velvet revolver on the other hand, now that is what guns 'n' roses should sound like

but yes, back in the time, guns 'n' roses was one of the greatest bands around
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

07.01.2008 - 09:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Something wicked
Velvet Revolver is possibly one of the most bland boring rock bands Ive ever heard, I seriously dont know what the hell Slash and Duff are thinking when they came up with that crap. Libertad is trash.

Axl still sounds great to me, on the new Sebastian Bach album he sounds good (and yeah, next to Bach hes not the best). That comment above sounds like another comment made by someone who doesnt know what there talking about, its not gonna be classic GnR, but itll be good.
----
- George Carlin
07.01.2008 - 15:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 07.01.2008 at 09:00

@Something wicked
Velvet Revolver is possibly one of the most bland boring rock bands Ive ever heard, I seriously dont know what the hell Slash and Duff are thinking when they came up with that crap. Libertad is trash.

Axl still sounds great to me, on the new Sebastian Bach album he sounds good (and yeah, next to Bach hes not the best). ....

I agree with you on the Velvet Revolver comment.

But Axl sounding good on Angel Down? You gotta be kidding me, he just sounds bad. Okay not as bad as he does live, but bad nonetheless. If it had been anyone else sounding like that on Angel Down they would have been instantly burned to the ground. SOmehow people are afraid to tell what it really is when it comes to Axl's current singing.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2008 - 15:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
@TJ: Yeah, good one. Except that Rikku's cute and Axl is... well, not that cute.
----
07.01.2008 - 23:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2008 at 15:16

@Something wicked

Axl still sounds great to me, on the new Sebastian Bach album he sounds good (and yeah, next to Bach hes not the best). ....

But Axl sounding good on Angel Down? You gotta be kidding me, he just sounds bad. Okay not as bad as he does live, but bad nonetheless. If it had been anyone else sounding like that on Angel Down they would have been instantly burned to the ground. SOmehow people are afraid to tell what it really is when it comes to Axl's current singing.

Really? it seems everyone hates Axl, everyone I know hates Axl to no end. I dont think he sounded bad, I think next to Bach he was upstaged but overall I didnt mind it at all.
----
- George Carlin
07.01.2008 - 23:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 07.01.2008 at 23:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2008 at 15:16

@Something wicked

Really? it seems everyone hates Axl, everyone I know hates Axl to no end. I dont think he sounded bad, I think next to Bach he was upstaged but overall I didnt mind it at all.

What I see in the printed press and other respected metal press is that peopel are afraid to dis his singing but they hate him when it comes to the total dickhead he can be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996