Metal Storm logo
Not sure about where to write in your vote? Ask here!

Original post

Posted by Milena, 04.02.2012 - 14:46
Since write-ins in not-so-appropriate genres will get nuked, if you're not sure where to place your vote, ask here and a staff/elite member will reply (well, I hope ). Obviously, some albums are pretty ambiguous when it comes to genre, so they can go either way, but if a band was in the nomination circle, you'll get a reply based on where the band was considered to go if it passed. I hope this is clear.

Also. Let's say a band was already nominated in category A but you wrote it in category B. Those votes will get deleted. They won't get added up. Why? Because there is no way we can know who cast which vote, so that would give you the opportunity to cheat - vote for a band in the regular category and write it in the other 20. So if you see a band in a genre you don't think it belongs in, don't play genre experts and vote it in that category. We all have different opinions of genre differences and nothing is strictly defined, but the nominees were based on the consensus of the entire staff/elite team. We're not perfect, but we have agreed on some things so that's the way it should go for these Awards.

The questions so far:
Sylosis? Should be in thrash.
Pain Of Salvation? Should be in prog.
Cormorant? The best guess is prog.
Protest The Hero? Prog.
05.02.2012 - 02:19
JD
Account deleted
Nice thread.

Is there any thread where I can check users' votes in this awards so far?
05.02.2012 - 02:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 02:19

Doubtful, pretty sure anonymity is a preference on Staff's behalf so they don't have to worry about some of the more immature users attacking one another for "voting stupidly" or whatever. Not even sure Staff can see who voted...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.02.2012 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2012 at 02:50

Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 02:19

Doubtful, pretty sure anonymity is a preference on Staff's behalf so they don't have to worry about some of the more immature users attacking one another for "voting stupidly" or whatever. Not even sure Staff can see who voted...

Nope, you're right, we can't see who voted. And tbh why would we want to see that?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2012 - 03:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2012 at 03:16

Nope, you're right, we can't see who voted. And tbh why would we want to see that?

Idk. The only reason I could see for Staff needing to see that is so y'all could get onto the trolls or something.
----

05.02.2012 - 03:27
Edmund Fogg
Just to be sure, we're taking here about categories for genres and subgenres right? I mean If I write in for best Debut album and Biggest surprise the same album, because I genuinely feel that way will get nuked?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
05.02.2012 - 03:29
JD
Account deleted
^ I did that, I think it's nothin wrong with it.
05.02.2012 - 03:31
Edmund Fogg
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 03:29

^ I did that, I think it's nothin wrong with it.

Me neither, but you never know, sometimes stupid rules are put up to prevent others abusing what would be common sense.
----
05.02.2012 - 03:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
No, nothing wrong with that. Best debut, biggest surprise and biggest letdown are different categories altogether. Remember when Nightwish won both 'biggest surprise' and 'biggest disappointment' for Dark Passion Play in 2007...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.02.2012 - 03:46
Edmund Fogg
Haha no I don't. I was not part of the site yet. It was a real letdown then if people were so surprised of how bad it was.
----
05.02.2012 - 03:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The only problem with that would be if the album in question were NOT a debut... besides, Debut makes more sense for a Surprise than 90% of the shit people list in that category. fuck, megadeth won it two years ago for releasing an album our users rated marginally better than the prior album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2012 - 03:51
Edmund Fogg
Figured has much and I guess it's up to the user to make his quick research before writtig in his album instead of trying to remember.
----
05.02.2012 - 06:08
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2012 at 22:43

Black

Sir, I salute you for your excellent choice of avatar.
05.02.2012 - 13:22
JD
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 04.02.2012 at 14:46

Sylosis? Should be in thrash.

Are you sure?

If it's up to me I would put it in Gothenburg Metal category..
05.02.2012 - 13:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 13:22

Are you sure?

I am sure. It is one of those really genre blending releases, yes. We agreed it would be in thrash... however, if a lot of people vote it in Melodeath, guess there's nothing we can do about it
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.02.2012 - 13:35
JD
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 13:27

Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 13:22

Are you sure?

I am sure. It is one of those really genre blending releases, yes. We agreed it would be in thrash... however, if a lot of people vote it in Melodeath, guess there's nothing we can do about it

Then I'm gonna vote for them in the Gothenburg Metal, because Sylosis sounds more like metalcore\gothenburg, if we compared them with the NWOTM bands like Havok, Vektor, Warbringer etc..
05.02.2012 - 13:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 13:35

Then I'm gonna vote for them in the Gothenburg Metal, because Sylosis sounds more like metalcore\gothenburg, if we compared them with the NWOTM bands like Havok, Vektor, Warbringer etc..

It comes down to your choice in the end now really, it would be smarter to vote it in thrash but I don't think votes for those cangoeitherway-type of releases will get nuked just because a number of people disagrees with us. If a genre is nicely defined, with influences from other genres but not 50%=50% between some two, yes, we'd like you to vote it in the genres we decided they would be, but if it were up to me I wouldn't mind seeing Sylosis in melodeath. Ask Craig about it.

So basically, you can. However, there's plenty of awesome stuff in melodeath this year, maybe you should check some of the releases you haven't, if you haven't
----
05.02.2012 - 14:11
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 06:08

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2012 at 22:43

Black

Sir, I salute you for your excellent choice of avatar.

Thanks! I almost never changed it since 2004. Just because this album is so perfect
----

I am awake"
05.02.2012 - 17:31
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Is Mastodon Sludge, Progressive, or alternative?
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
05.02.2012 - 17:51
JD
Account deleted
Written by ?apleee on 05.02.2012 at 17:31

Sludge

This.
05.02.2012 - 18:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 17:51

Written by ?apleee on 05.02.2012 at 17:31

Sludge

This.

They are nominated there, so I don't understand the wquestion the guy asked.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2012 - 18:29
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2012 at 18:14

They are nominated there, so I don't understand the wquestion the guy asked.

Yeah I know, but I answered him anyway, since he is a newbie to the site.
05.02.2012 - 18:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Really, Mastodon is in Sludge? Don't get me wrong, I'm not in to them (or Sludge) so I don't care but I've heard so many people here on MS and on other sites and outside of the internet calling them progressive and saying things like "Hunter was the best prog metal release of 2011" and stuff so just I'm surprised they aren't listed in the Prog category. Even the band consider themselves a prog metal band (just watched an interview with Brent Hinds and Brann Dailor on Metal Evolution last night) and even Craig said in his review of Hunter, "The band continues with the direction taken in CTS, which is to say less with the sludged-up noisecore or whatever, and more with the 70's prog loving alternative rock/metal approach." Once again I'm not complaining, just expressing my surprise is all.
----

05.02.2012 - 19:06
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2012 at 18:49

Really, Mastodon is in Sludge? Don't get me wrong, I'm not in to them (or Sludge) so I don't care but I've heard so many people here on MS and on other sites and outside of the internet calling them progressive and saying things like "Hunter was the best prog metal release of 2011" and stuff so just I'm surprised they aren't listed in the Prog category. Even the band consider themselves a prog metal band (just watched an interview with Brent Hinds and Brann Dailor on Metal Evolution last night) and even Craig said in his review of Hunter, "The band continues with the direction taken in CTS, which is to say less with the sludged-up noisecore or whatever, and more with the 70's prog loving alternative rock/metal approach." Once again I'm not complaining, just expressing my surprise is all.

Mmmmm, don't listen to Mastodon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the prog-spice in their music is in fact just spice... we'll have to ask Mastodon lovers, but MS has never been hesitant about nominating bands in a different genre than usual if the band changed, so I don't see why would that practice be started now
----
05.02.2012 - 19:26
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 19:06

Mmmmm, don't listen to Mastodon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the prog-spice in their music is in fact just spice... we'll have to ask Mastodon lovers, but MS has never been hesitant about nominating bands in a different genre than usual if the band changed, so I don't see why would that practice be started now

Yea I know, I was just commenting my surprise is all. I got Leviathan when that came out and didn't care for it, I've also checked out some of their singles as they've released their other albums and I just never could get into them at all so I have no clue how to "properly" categorize them, I just know what I've heard from fans (and what I saw of the band last night on ME).
----

05.02.2012 - 19:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2012 at 19:26

Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 19:06

Yea I know, I was just commenting my surprise is all.

pretty strange(again?!) to see Mastodon getting labels of Prog. even further going labeling nasty Djent, metalcore or what not. Shit. i love Mastodon but what i feel is they're a crossover Djent stuff who alters their genre from album to album...but fuck no! they never sounded like prog.!!. Peace. Serious Peace.
05.02.2012 - 20:04
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 13:42

It comes down to your choice in the end now really, it would be smarter to vote it in thrash but I don't think votes for those cangoeitherway-type of releases will get nuked just because a number of people disagrees with us. If a genre is nicely defined, with influences from other genres but not 50%=50% between some two, yes, we'd like you to vote it in the genres we decided they would be, but if it were up to me I wouldn't mind seeing Sylosis in melodeath. Ask Craig about it.

So basically, you can. However, there's plenty of awesome stuff in melodeath this year, maybe you should check some of the releases you haven't, if you haven't

I dont get it. Say a hundred users voted for ambiguous album X in a certain category and another hundred voted in another category, would half of the votes get nuked?
05.02.2012 - 20:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 20:04

I dont get it. Say a hundred users voted for ambiguous album X in a certain category and another hundred voted in another category, would half of the votes get nuked?

I'm the new kid so I'm not SO sure, but I think they would. Because that means someone might have wrote in the same release in two categories, doubling the amount of votes that release would get.
----
05.02.2012 - 20:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 20:04

Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 13:42

yup. because people could have voted for the same album in both
----

I am awake"
05.02.2012 - 20:21
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 05.02.2012 at 20:13

I'm the new kid so I'm not SO sure, but I think they would. Because that means someone might have wrote in the same release in two categories, doubling the amount of votes that release would get.

Written by Darkside Momo on 05.02.2012 at 20:13

yup. because people could have voted for the same album in both

But then you're wasting at least 25% of the votes.. Not everyone would search the wall of text that is the write-ins for his favorite album in a category they probably didnt think of.
05.02.2012 - 21:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.02.2012 at 19:40

pretty strange(again?!) to see Mastodon getting labels of Prog. even further going labeling nasty Djent, metalcore or what not. Shit. i love Mastodon but what i feel is they're a crossover Djent stuff who alters their genre from album to album...but fuck no! they never sounded like prog.!!. Peace. Serious Peace.

Well like I said, I don't listen to them but I see people all over the place calling them progressive metal and I heard both Brent Hinds (Mastodon's guitarist) and Brann Dailor (Mastodon's drummer) call themselves a prog band on Metal Evolution (episode 11, season finale, Progressive Metal) last night; and both of them said they're biggest influences for The Hunter were 70's british prog rock bands. So when I see more people calling them a prog band than not, and I see/hear half of the band calling themselves a prog band, then as far as I'm concerned they're a prog band.
----