‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]
Users visited: 282  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Cill O' Connor on 06.02.2012 at 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?

Page 8 of 8

Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

18.11.2013 at 18:44
Written by mz on 18.11.2013 at 18:25
"the thing that you listen to is not music and does not worth discussion"

Which is basically their way of telling you they aren't intelligent enough to hold a conversation anyway, so it's not a big loss in my eyes.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Lonniehaskel

18.11.2013 at 22:14
I used to take interest when someone insulted my taste because I thought people may have an interesting, thought-provoking take on it or a good reason why. I love broadening my horizons and accepting other opinions. Typically, it's proven to be consistently "it's just a bunch of screaming and no one can sing etc etc etc" from closed-minded people. Other than that, people don't know the difference between "your music taste is shit" and "I can see why you like this but it's not my cup of tea."
Mattybu
crusty juggler

18.11.2013 at 23:32
When people insult all or part of my music taste it really doesn't bother me, and usually when it does I can understand why. person: "you listen to Cannibal Corpse? they're messed up" Yeah, Cannibal Corpse is pretty messed up. That's why I like them!

as Sweet Brown would say, ain't nobody got time to let other people's opinions on things like music bother you... damn I'm craving a cold pop now.
----
I ain't gon not gona ain't give you dis pie if you ain't not gonna ack rite
Ancient Dreams

27.11.2013 at 16:33
I get far more metallers insulting my non-metal tastes than the other way round. Since Slipknot broke in 1999/2000, metal in the UK has become a lot more common, is just "another genre" as it were. Whilst we appreciate Cannibal Corpse sound significantly different to Slipknot, most of the people that listen to dance/rap/pop thing it all sounds the same so rarely gets a second look. Nine times out of ten if I was to throw some metal on at work, I'd get a couple of "cookie monster" jokes and then everyone would just get on with their lives.

I had my MP3 player on before and some J-Pop came on it, some of the metallers around me were completed offended that I could listen to something non-metal.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

27.11.2013 at 17:02
Written by Ancient Dreams on 27.11.2013 at 16:33
I had my MP3 player on before and some J-Pop came on it, some of the metallers around me were completed offended that I could listen to something non-metal.

Ya the only direct opposition I face in terms of my taste in music comes from other metalheads. Most of the people I've met who don't listen to metal don't give a shit that I listen to it, but other metalheads want to make sure I know they have a better taste in music than me.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Dentura
Shadow King

10.02.2014 at 10:08
Very rarely have I been insulted for my music taste (largely since i'm very introverted and not open to others about my personal interests, even to my family), If I do get picked on by others for that reason, I just want to ignore them and continue listening to what I enjoy regardless. No time to worry about other opinions when mine is the only one that matters in the context of personal music taste. If I'm in a conversation with someone in line at a concert, I'll just bring up bands that I think the recipient maybe a fan of and we can discuss more mutual interests from there.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

11.02.2014 at 00:16
Couldn't care less.

When I was in high school, metal was terribly uncool (the mid 1990s). People used to insult my music taste all the time.

It didn't bother me at all.

Metal is an acquired taste and I can totally understand why most people would regard it as noisy non-musical shit.
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

11.02.2014 at 00:18
Couldn't care less.

When I was in high school, metal was terribly uncool (the mid 1990s). People used to insult my music taste all the time.

It didn't bother me at all.

Metal is an acquired taste and I can totally understand why most people would regard it as noisy non-musical shit.
Sinfonia

11.02.2014 at 15:50
' K, bye'
----
When there is a voice recalling, when a whisper is resounding
When a feather's grazing you again, you start traveling with your mind.
Reverend X

12.02.2014 at 07:46
Mostly expletive.
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

13.02.2014 at 00:57
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 17:02

Most of the people I've met who don't listen to metal don't give a shit that I listen to it, but other metalheads want to make sure I know they have a better taste in music than me.

My experience too.

Non-metallers go "I wouldn't have thought you were a headbanger."

Metallers go "<insert band here> that you like is shit. You should listen to <insert band here>."

One guy I knew was so elitist he'd make shit up just to put other people's tastes down. For example a young guy we knew was going to Slayer. The elitist made up that he'd seen Slayer just so he could tell the kid Slayer was shit. This Elitist had also apparently burned a signed copy of Metallica's Black album in front of a Metallica fan and he owned Soundhouse Tapes, No Life Til Leather (he could never show them though) and had been to those awesome European Thrash gigs when the Berlin Wall fell (he would've been around 14-15 years old in 1989-90 yet he claimed he was travelling around Europe with his girlfriend seeing all this awesome stuff).

I stopped hanging around real Metalheads in real life because they put me off the music I love so much.
no one

13.02.2014 at 08:19
Written by deadone on 13.02.2014 at 00:57

I stopped hanging around real Metalheads in real life because they put me off the music I love so much.

you know there's "elitist too cool guys" in fake life too ya know
deadone
H8s ExtremeMetal

14.02.2014 at 01:13
Written by no one on 13.02.2014 at 08:19

Written by deadone on 13.02.2014 at 00:57

you know there's "elitist too cool guys" in fake life too ya know

But easier to ignore them on internet!

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]

Login or register to post here.