Metal Storm logo
Babymetal (where nu metal meets J-pop)

Original post

Posted by bj_waters, 20.03.2012 - 01:36
Because I must inflict this upon others, I give you two singles from Babymetal, the newest project from Japan for driving people like us insane.

It's like the worst parts of nu metal and J-Pop were blended together. And if you think this one was bad, watch the other one. Just wait for the "rap" segment. You'll know it when you see it.

inb4 Japan is weird. This goes beyond "weird;" this hurts. The thing is, I like some J-Pop (mostly because I like electronic music in general), and I like heavy metal (obviously), and I even wouldn't mind if there wasn't some kind of fusion between the two, but it would MOST DEFINITELY NOT sound like this. This is just painfully bad.

Nevertheless, my opinions aside, what are your reactions?
25.07.2014 - 23:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2014 at 17:23

I'll take a bus there just to boo them.

Haha no you could take a bus though to come and see the good bands instead.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.07.2014 - 23:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 17:49

Yeah like, I could care less about what they're doing, but playing a non japan-freak-show metal concert is edging me over. If I was long to heavy mtl, I'd be annoyed, hopefully it's easy to leave for 30ish minutes and then come back.

Meh I'll just go to the other stages really.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.07.2014 - 06:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guib on 25.07.2014 at 23:31

Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 17:49

Yeah like, I could care less about what they're doing, but playing a non japan-freak-show metal concert is edging me over. If I was long to heavy mtl, I'd be annoyed, hopefully it's easy to leave for 30ish minutes and then come back.

Meh I'll just go to the other stages really.

Oh cool, I was unaware that there was
More than one stage.

Yeah I'd do that as well, or hop out for a dart or something, anything but watching that
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.07.2014 - 10:55
Ganondox
Okay, coincidently I've been in Japan the last few days, and just came to the US today. On the way back, I listened to the music on the plane's radio and I swear the majority of their j-pop selection had a noticeable metal influence (it was the second best channel after the 80's, which even played "Run to the Hills"), though it's a bit hard to know for sure as the influence was mainly in guitar solos. So j-pop + metal isn't actually that odd, what's odd is the more melodeath oriented style of Babymetal versus the more neoclassical/power/speed influence heard in anime theme songs and some alternative rock and eurobeat. I blame X Japan.
27.07.2014 - 20:21
Coverkiller
If people are generally worried about this, keep your pants on. Its gonna be ok. Breathe.

I'd rather have Babymetal on the airwaves than Blood on the Dance Floor. Period. Its literally no comparison. Babymetal at least has a semblance of fun to their music. Its harmless stuff that doesn't have a direct hurtful message.

I dunno why so many people are up in arms about it, personally. Yeah, its not like Iron Maiden spawned three Japanese daughters (who would've been taken to the slaughter) but its also not like they're all of a sudden now labeling Katy Perry metal just because some jackoff in the studio played a B in the background of one of her newest musical abortions.
----
www.youtube.com/user/coverkiller - THE best album reviews on youtube!
27.07.2014 - 20:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't see too many people here up in arms about it. Most of us who don't like it are just saying how bad we think it sounds. Like I think it's absolutely awful but I'm not exactly losing sleep over the fact that it exists.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.07.2014 - 21:16
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ganondox on 27.07.2014 at 10:55

Okay, coincidently I've been in Japan the last few days, and just came to the US today. On the way back, I listened to the music on the plane's radio and I swear the majority of their j-pop selection had a noticeable metal influence (it was the second best channel after the 80's, which even played "Run to the Hills"), though it's a bit hard to know for sure as the influence was mainly in guitar solos. So j-pop + metal isn't actually that odd, what's odd is the more melodeath oriented style of Babymetal versus the more neoclassical/power/speed influence heard in anime theme songs and some alternative rock and eurobeat. I blame X Japan.

damn you travel a lot for a young dude, mcdonalds must pay well over there
28.07.2014 - 17:48
Ganondox
Written by Guest on 27.07.2014 at 21:16

Written by Ganondox on 27.07.2014 at 10:55

damn you travel a lot for a young dude, mcdonalds must pay well over there

My parents are American diplomats, we're moving back from Indonesia and stopped in Japan on the way.
28.07.2014 - 21:09
no one
Account deleted
Written by Ganondox on 28.07.2014 at 17:48

My parents are American diplomats, we're moving back from Indonesia and stopped in Japan on the way.

oh i was just jealous, not so much with the parents though

....sorry off topic
28.07.2014 - 21:42
Ganondox
Written by Guest on 28.07.2014 at 21:09

Written by Ganondox on 28.07.2014 at 17:48

oh i was just jealous, not so much with the parents though

....sorry off topic

Yeah, New Zealanders don't get out much, being stuck on an island at the edge of nowhere and all. I have a friend who lives there and she confirmed that. I've been there once, it's a nice place.

Erg hmm, back to Babymetal.
29.07.2014 - 01:09
no one
Account deleted
We do get out if out if we have money or rich parents,
29.07.2014 - 02:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, you're from Indonesia. Living in USA. Already been in Japan, Brazil, NZ... Wish I would travel like that...

And btw Babymetal is a great band heh?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.07.2014 - 03:36
no one
Account deleted
Life cheater
29.07.2014 - 12:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 29.07.2014 at 02:05

Wow, you're from Indonesia.

He said his parents are American diplomats.

Oh, and to stay on-topic Babymetal sucks donkey balls.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2014 - 17:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2014 at 12:19

Written by Karlabos on 29.07.2014 at 02:05

Wow, you're from Indonesia.

He said his parents are American diplomats

Oh. Somehow I didn't read that part.
He said he was moving back from Indonesia, so I assumed it was his country...

Plus, I like this band a lot. J pop an nu metal. very cool.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
29.07.2014 - 17:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 29.07.2014 at 17:39

I hate this band a lot. J pop and nu metal. Tow of the shittiest music genres around
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2014 - 18:09
Ganondox
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2014 at 17:57

Written by Karlabos on 29.07.2014 at 17:39

I hate this band a lot. J pop and nu metal. Tow of the shittiest music genres around

*two

Except it's not actually nu metal, except for maybe those first two songs in the thread. Also J-Pop is awesome, much better than A-Pop and K-Pop.
29.07.2014 - 18:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yep J pop is the best pop subgenre imo
If they played J Pop and black metal instead it would be even better. Now that would be something interesting.
I wonder if there's any blackened j pop band out there
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.08.2014 - 14:48
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Karlabos on 29.07.2014 at 18:28

If they played J Pop and black metal instead it would be even better. Now that would be something interesting.
I wonder if there's any blackened j pop band out there

I guess this is somewhat of a close attempt: Necromidol
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
02.08.2014 - 15:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by wrathchild on 02.08.2014 at 14:48

NECRONOMIDOL

This is very weird. I like it.
Gotta wait for a full length I guess.

Also on the description it says the composer is the guy behind Al-Kamar, so it's probably gonna be a good project :3
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.08.2014 - 23:31
mankvill
I don't like it. I have a friend who is a diehard underground black/death metal fan who LOVES them, but I just don't get it.
08.08.2014 - 03:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
I agree with deadone on this... J pop is horrid... it creeps me out + musically it *like Marcel Said* Sucks donkey balls.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.08.2014 - 08:27
toxx
Supreme being
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE
10.08.2014 - 11:24
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
This is a shame to the metal world, man can't believe I actually, called the pile of crap for metal! Let's hope this isn't the future of metal.. *sigh*
12.08.2014 - 02:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Just saw them... while waiting for Overkill at Heavy MTL... gotta say that most J-Pop elements (except for the girls obviously) leave completely when they're on stage, its mostly Metal. But
in all honesty, it still sucks. It's entertaining at best, but very disturbing. The guys handling the instruments are very skilled though and painted like Black Metallers.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.08.2014 - 22:09
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I love Babymetal, mainly due to the reactions that all of you people have when someone mentions them and for that, I think they are one of the most metal bands out there. Not too many bands can make all you hardasses freak out like little girls

I also like J-Pop so there...

EDIT: That being said, I am a firm believer that Babymetal needs to be featured on this site. The band, like it or not, has strong metal elements in its music. If this site lets stuff like Igorrr (which is not metal, its just breakcore with some metal guitars mixed in) on this site, then we can fucking have Babymetal on here.
17.08.2014 - 22:23
krrrrebets
Account deleted
Yeah let them be... It's just a bunch of kids doing their odd thing... It probably won't become as disturbingly big as some bland deathcore or glam as it once was.
17.08.2014 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 22:09
EDIT: That being said, I am a firm believer that Babymetal needs to be featured on this site.

I was going to tell you to suggest them and see how many people agreed but then I looked them up in the suggestions page to see if they were already there and we have them blacklisted.

Might have to talk to some people about changing that...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.08.2014 - 22:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

If this site lets stuff like Igorrr (which is not metal, its just breakcore with some metal guitars mixed in) on this site,

Which imo shouldn't be featured on this site.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2014 - 00:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

EDIT: That being said, I am a firm believer that Babymetal needs to be featured on this site. The band, like it or not, has strong metal elements in its music. If this site lets stuff like Igorrr (which is not metal, its just breakcore with some metal guitars mixed in) on this site, then we can fucking have Babymetal on here.

I also agree with that. But it's not just because I like the band, but also because we are talking about a band which won the heavy metal award a while ago, which performs on big events like heavy montreal, which has like 8 million views on every video on youtube, and those things kind of indicate that they're somewhat relevant...

As for the "this is not metal" thing, I ask: why? Because they mix j-pop with nu-metal? this is called "genre fusion" and it's quite a common thing nowadays. You will see bands performing swing + symphonic metal, jazz + black metal and so on... Are those also not metal because of the jazz or the swing?

About the Igorrr thing, there are two sides: On one side it's not really metal. It's breakcore (actually it's something strange which lies among the breakcore spectrum)
By the other hand it's appealing to metalheads. So are some neofolk bands, dark ambient ones and so on. Some of them are featured on this site. Some are not. And we could stay all the day discussing whether those really belong here and each member would have a different point of view about it.

But anyway: Babymetal is not one of those cases. They are actually metal. And they are relevant. regardless of whether they are good or bad.
----
- Reimu Hakurei