05. The Trooper
06. Still Life
07. Quest For Fire
08. Sun And Steel
09. To Tame A Land

Disc II [1995 reissue bonus disc]
01. I Got The Fire [Monstrose cover]
02. Cross-Eyed Mary [Jethro Tull cover]

This album could also be called: The Hidden Treasures Of Iron Maiden. I guess it is one of the most underestimated albums of this band, maybe of all I know. But there is more to it than meets the eye (or better the ear) in the first place. Of course it contains 'The Trooper' and 'Flight Of Icarus' which are both well-recognized songs, since they are both live-classics and great studio tunes, but that is far too less to judge the whole album.

In fact, this album contains literature quotes, songs about famous books/movies fusioned in great heavy metal sound. Starting off with the song 'Where Eagles Dare' which repeats the story of the same-titled Clint Eastwood movie of the 70's. Both create an image of what war was like fighting in the bavarian alps during WWII, showing what confident, brave men could do to fight the Nazis. Second song is the half-ballad 'Revelations' with the above mentioned lyrical quotes of famous british writer Gilbert Keith Chesterton. Nearly needles to mention an all time Iron Maiden classic the 'Flight Of Icarus' an odd version of the greek legend of Icarus who burnt his wings as he was trying to reach out to the sun and fell down into the mediterannean sea. The fourth song is 'Die With Your Boots On' a song that has been covered by Sonata Arctica but never reached the original. Next is the timeless 'The Trooper' another song about war, set out on the battlefield fighting the russians. 'Still Life' as the sixth track is about a nightmare (or maybe even a famous book/movie but I do not know), about seeing faces at the bottom of a pool, which are calling and the protagonist feels like joining them down there, though they are not visible for others! Great song, a bit slower, but this sets you in the right mood for a true nightmare. Number seven on the tracklist is 'Quest For Fire' the song about men discovering the fire in prehistorc times and fight to save it from being stolen by other tribes. 'Sun and Steel' the eighth song is about a boy who killed his first man at 13 but who seems not to reflect too much about it. Animal instincts gain the posession of this boy and when he grows up they become his ideal, killing as the right of a warrior. The final song 'To Tame A Land' tells the story of Dune the book (I've never read) or the movie (which I've seen), I have to admit. A plot surrounding the young Paul Atreides who is destined to become the 'Muad Dib' leader of the desert planet Arrakis. The sound is giving the story the cold atmosphere it deserves.
Now to the music: Maybe the music itself is the reason why many people do not like this album. Most Iron Maiden albums have their own sound that flows through all of the songs combining them to a unity. This album is very diverse lacking this special unity in sound. Apart from the use of keyboards on 'Somewhere in Time' and 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' this record sounds kind of experimental though it is not. You get the usual Iron Maiden quality in sound and composition, but you feel like going through different stages of atmosphere. This atmosphere is splitted into several blocks which you will find while listening. They are divided in song 1 and 2, 3 to 5, 6 standing alone and song 7 to 9. You cannot divide other albums into different atmosphere's, might be just my opinion, but you can at least try finding out by listening to this album yourself.
It is definetely great but is somehow different from the other classic Maiden albums, but this is hard to explain in detail.

All songs have a unique feeling and deserve to be heard. When you are a fan of this band you have the duty to buy it. Even if you don't like it by the first listen try out some time and you will probably not change the cd in your player in a long time!

Written by Pierre Tombale | 12.11.2003

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind is the first Metal album I remember hearing. I don't know how old I was, but when Nicko McBrain opened up "Where Eagles Dare" with a maelstrom of percussion, I thought it was the most brutal thing in existence. Even now, I still consider it one of Maiden's best (and heaviest) songs. With other classics like "The Trooper" and "Flight of Icarus," Piece Of Mind certainly makes for a an appropriate introduction to the genre.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2012 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 191 users
02.11.2006 - 20:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
9.5 from me.there is only one perfection,only one that really deserves a perfect 10, and while this album is close,it's not perfect(still life is the main song i'm talking about) and what's the beef people have with quest for fire?! it's a damn good song with ok lyrics and that unforgetable intro riff!
21.11.2006 - 16:44
Rating: 9
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I think it's definately one of their best. Sad enough, the last three songs are not that interesting. Still Life though is great, one of their most underrated songs, or at least it hasn't got enough attention. 9.5 from me!
19.02.2007 - 13:56
Bear88
Account deleted
I prefer paul di'annio to any other of Maidens works by far. especially the first album. Saying that bruce dick did suprise me with the likes of number of the beast, which embodies me everytime i listen to them. So i'd thought i'd give the next in line a try, i heard good thingd about this album, and didn't expect dissapointment, but thats what a got, now im not picking at the talent of this album, aka guitaring, drumming etc. i've heard that and it does strike me as good intrument playing, like the trooper thatsong makes me happy.
But theres something about this album, the fact that it just sounds like plain old maiden, which fans might love, but i certinaly like something with an edge, something to set it apart from the rest, which i feel this album lacks, besides from a few songs, the album for me overall just dosn't cut the mustard, i'd rather play number of beast5 times in a row than listen to this once.
But knowing me as a person who makes a judgement from about 2-3 three listens and given a week or so start to love the thing i used to sourly hate, so my mind will change i'm guessing, but that's my opinion at this moment in time.
21.02.2007 - 03:31
Dan066
Account deleted
Great album. One of Maiden's best. If you don't own this album, buy it immediatly.
30.04.2007 - 01:01
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
my second favorite Maiden album, lots of incredible songs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.01.2008 - 06:26
Rating: 10
Guib
Thrash Talker
My Favorite Maiden Album...

Well you gotta completly listen to it more than 2 times to perfectly understand it.
And we got to pay attention on two particular songs ''Still Life'' that is probably one of the best song on this album and ''Revelation'' that is just wonderfull.

Other songs like ''Die with your boots on'' and ''Sun and Steel'' makes me want to keep listening to that album again and again.

If you're a Maiden fan, you're forced to buy this album.

A big 11/10 for me its more than perfection
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.04.2008 - 20:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
4/15/2008

Top 20 albums of 1983: 1
Top 100 albums of all time: 16

496 have it
21 want it
1 trade it

10 242 votes
9 128 votes
8 76 votes
7 24 votes
6 10 votes
5 1 vote
4 1 vote
3 -
2 1 vote
1 2 votes

Its a Joke
15.04.2008 - 21:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 15.04.2008 at 20:19

4/15/2008

496 have it
21 want it
1 trade it

10 242 votes
9 128 votes
8 76 votes
7 24 votes
6 10 votes
5 1 vote
4 1 vote
3 -
2 1 vote
1 2 votes

Its a Joke

Okay what's so funny?

I agree that there were better albums in 1983 and also all-time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.04.2008 - 22:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.04.2008 at 21:36

Written by Guest on 15.04.2008 at 20:19

4/15/2008

496 have it
21 want it
1 trade it

10 242 votes
9 128 votes
8 76 votes
7 24 votes
6 10 votes
5 1 vote
4 1 vote
3 -
2 1 vote
1 2 votes

Its a Joke

Okay what's so funny?

I agree that there were better albums in 1983 and also all-time.

there is no funny thing here,its amazing,its wonderful cause i think someone did somthing here thats all.
i give 5 to this album
14.05.2008 - 01:13
IronBlackZepp

This album is the best album of 1983.
16.05.2008 - 19:55
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think this is a very good review actually. Piece of Mind is definately exaggeratedly underestimated as you can see from the answers in here.

Personally, I love it. I think the songs are all beautiful in a way and have very much Maiden's style.

"Die with your boots on" is my favourite track at the moment. Its always changing, yesterday it was "where eagles dare".

Up the Irons, this is a great album. Oh, and just listen to the bass on this one
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.07.2008 - 18:28
gerrard888
Account deleted
this album is over shadowed by (SSOTSS) .(NOTB). (powerslave) but one of maidens best!!! it's a must have album, the trooper is mindblowing
21.07.2008 - 01:25
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Where Eagles Dare is the song that got me into Iron Maiden, but the first two albums are still by far my favorite.
28.11.2008 - 11:54
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Typical of Iron Maiden great album one ofmy favourite:metal:
08.04.2009 - 20:28
Xeros612

9.5 from me. The song Flight of Icarus keeps it from a solid 10, I personally don't find it enjoyable.
24.05.2009 - 10:41
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
One of the best from Iron Maiden, and Imo better even than The Number Of the Best. That's a very cool album .
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.07.2011 - 02:41
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Xeros612 on 08.04.2009 at 20:28

9.5 from me. The song Flight of Icarus keeps it from a solid 10, I personally don't find it enjoyable.

I have to disagree here. Flight Of Icarus is definitely among Maiden's top 10.
18.05.2013 - 10:05
Copernicus

10 from me...best Iron Maiden album
23.07.2015 - 19:43
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Trooper - Crimea war

super song, strong one, until it album is OK, after you hear it album getting weaker, even not but so powerful song makes us think so
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 12724 | This month: 8