08. As The Palaces Burn
09. Blacken The Cursed Sun
10. Laid To Rest
11. Redneck
12. Black Label
13. Digital Sands [iTunes bonus]
14. Vigil [live] [iTunes bonus]
15. Bury Me Under The Sun [Japanese edition bonus]

Remember when Lamb Of God were busy pioneering never-before-heard-of, genre-bending, boundary-pushing, avant-garde experimental transcendental music? Neither does anyone else. Resolution won't change the way you listen to the band's music either. Unless you continue to listen with the speakers off.

Okay, it's not that bad.* Really. But it's entirely void of the anger and spite that brought these alternative thrashers to the forefront of the pure American metal scene in the first place. It just comes across as routine now: by-the-numbers "redneck" metal for the masses. Not that they've taken a major step in any kind of new direction, but Resolution sounds like a collection of rejected demo songs from anything post-Ashes with a sexified production. Essentially some uninspired half-assed ideas that end at the beginning and don't even begin with much to their name in the first place.

Is it still safe to label them a groove metal band? Of course. The problem with that is the complete lack of anything else. You can't just write 14 songs that don't evolve beyond the single intro-hook combination. It's no different than listening to the repeated chorus from any hit pop single from the past decade, only instead of some annoyingly catchy vocal lines, you just get Randy shouting over some mild, run-of-the-mill thrashing. Yawn much.

That's pretty much all there is to say about such a one-dimensional release, an album that relies solely on a single recycled riff for nearly an hour. That's right. Just imagine listening to the thrash equivalent of Justin Bieber's "Baby" for 60 minutes.

* I lied. It's bad.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 18.04.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Guest review by
Ace Frawley
Rating:
Resolution is the seventh studio album by American band Lamb Of God. It contains 14 tracks and has a running time of around 56-minutes. It sees the band consolidate their position as one of the most popular American metal bands of the last decade. Their familiar sound is still there on this album but it also contains some unexpected moments that show their willingness to experiment and evolve.

Read more ››
published 30.12.2012 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
After the somewhat experimental, uneven Sacrament and phoned-in blandness of Wrath, Lamb of God return with a vengeance on Resolution. Listening to this is like erasing the past 8 years and picking up right where the excellent Ashes Of The Wake left off.

From the first dirty, southern guitar chords to Randy's shriek, I am back in high school again. The production is crystal clear, but not washed out. "Walk With Me In Hell," though a great song, sounded like it was recorded in a tin can, and Wrath in general was so compressed it felt like a SNES soundtrack. This is a return to the riff machine that made these guys top dogs to begin with. The guitar-work is fast, tight, and just plain fun. If you were one of the people who went racing for tabs after hearing "Laid To Rest" the first time, this is the album for you. There are too many moments to name, but the intro transition on "Ghost Walking," and the relentless "Terminally Unique" stick out in my mind at the moment.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2014 | Comments (8)

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 107   Visited by: 504 users
18.04.2012 - 11:25
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Daniell on 18.04.2012 at 10:37

Wtf, my comment is gone. Maybe I do need to see a professional, because I'm apparently (not) seeing things

I saw your comment too
----
7.0 means the album is good
18.04.2012 - 11:27
Rating: 7
BudDa
Elite
Written by Milena on 18.04.2012 at 11:25

Written by Daniell on 18.04.2012 at 10:37

Wtf, my comment is gone. Maybe I do need to see a professional, because I'm apparently (not) seeing things

I saw your comment too

did too...
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
18.04.2012 - 12:37
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Daniell on 18.04.2012 at 10:24

Yeah dude this is the quote of the comment. Is MS developing a mind of its own, that it deletes unsatisfactory comments? Are Mcgangbangs as awful as they sound? Will Lamb of God stop making albums for the sake of having barbecues and drinking bear in their backyard? the similarity between all of these questions and more to be found in next weeks review....
18.04.2012 - 13:16
Rating: 9
fosi
I'm not a big LOG fan,but totally disagree with the review...
Everyone has an opinion,but compare LOG with Bieber???
Come on...
18.04.2012 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by fosi on 18.04.2012 at 13:16

I'm not a big LOG fan,but totally disagree with the review...
Come on...

this review almost reads as "look at me being all cool"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.04.2012 - 13:40
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
, LOG get bieber on drums, bieber gets some latin drumming going on, band dials it back mariachi style to produce some wicked themes for axe deodorants and body washes.
----
18.04.2012 - 13:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Quote:
Written by Paradox0 on 18.04.2012 at 12:37

Yeah dude this is the quote of the comment. Is MS developing a mind of its own, that it deletes unsatisfactory comments?

My comment was entirely satisfactory to me
18.04.2012 - 14:23
Olli
I uasally agree with your reviews Troy but not this time! Straight for the sun and King Me are pretty different compared to anything they've done before. I'd much rather they carry on with their signiture sound than end up like Metallica, In Flames etc

"Remember when Lamb Of God were busy pioneering never-before-heard-of, genre-bending, boundary-pushing, avant-garde experimental transcendental music? "
I knew I could ignore the rest of what you said as soon as I read this.. if you only like this kind of music you really shouldn't be reviewing a lamb of god album, or really any music in "mainstream metal"

I'd probably give this album a 7, it's enjoyable but they can do better.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
18.04.2012 - 15:36
Zap
Intro made me lol
18.04.2012 - 15:59
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Olli on 18.04.2012 at 14:23

if you only like this kind of music you really shouldn't be reviewing a lamb of god album, or really any music in "mainstream metal"

If only you knew Troy was a closet LoG-head...

Anyways I'll give this a listen for the hell of it. Never been able to get into anything of theirs besides ...As the Palaces Burn but I'm always open to new stuff even if it's bad...
18.04.2012 - 16:16
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 18.04.2012 at 08:55
I'm glad to see that even a fanboy could give an honest review...

A part of me just wanted to push it up to a 7 because... it's LoG. One of my favorite bands - a guilty pleasure or whatever. But this was just... underwhelming.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 16:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 18.04.2012 at 10:30
I get the feeling the review was intended to be controversial to get a lot of interest. I don't take it as a serious review.

Everything I do on this site is for attention actually. Next up you'll see me give a universally hated release a 10/10 because I'm a troll reviewer like that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 16:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Kuroboshi on 18.04.2012 at 10:31
And thanks yet again Troy for letting me gain 50 minutes of valuable time by not listening to this album!

Well the great thing about this album is you can listen to the first song and judge the rest of the album, because the rest of the songs sound pretty much exactly the same. With exception of the closing track.
----
18.04.2012 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2012 at 13:30
this review almost reads as "look at me being all cool"

That's all I aim for, so I'm glad people are taking notice.

But I actually aim for kewl, just to clarify.
----
18.04.2012 - 16:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by fosi on 18.04.2012 at 13:16

The comparison to Bieber was meant to highlight how simple and repetitive this album is. It's not like I'm calling LoG a mainstream radio pop group.
----
18.04.2012 - 16:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcus on 18.04.2012 at 15:59
If only you knew Troy was a closet LoG-head...

I wouldn't even say I'm in the closet anymore. I've made it known on several LoG-related threads that I love their work.
----
18.04.2012 - 16:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 16:21

That's all I aim for, so I'm glad people are taking notice.

But I actually aim for kewl, just to clarify.

Shame you are failing dismally at it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.04.2012 - 16:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't think the review was that controversial to give the vibe of being a show off. Oh well....
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2012 - 16:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.04.2012 at 16:25
I don't think the review was that controversial to give the vibe of being a show off. Oh well....

Obviously I have to try harder next time.
----
18.04.2012 - 16:54
Timmeh
Dudeman
For me listening to LoG has always been to launch into some crazy air bashing, riff grooving half hour of madness so I wouldn't go to listen to their albums expecting or wanting something else. In the end it definitely ain't no 'Ashes' or 'Palaces' and it seems they won't ever be able to touch those groovacious riffs ever again but this album is still good.

I actually got a lot of pre-Sacrament vibes from this release sort of a hybrid between their older albums (Ashes, Palaces) and their newer (Sacrement, Wrath), but overall not as good as either period. Better than a 5 though imo.
18.04.2012 - 17:07
Slayer666
Calling a shitty album "shitty" is showing off now? God damn, I guess I'm one of the biggest attention whores on MS.
18.04.2012 - 17:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 18.04.2012 at 17:07
Calling a shitty album "shitty" is showing off now? God damn, I guess I'm one of the biggest attention whores on MS.

You aren't? It's okay, I'm worse. Just look at my negative review series from 2011.
----
18.04.2012 - 17:45
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Thumbs up for your review , this album was so boring and repetitive, I rather their previous Albums included Wrath.
18.04.2012 - 19:32
Rating: 6
Butters49
Too much filler, thats the problem with most albums that sound 'repetative'.
I really love log, but i agree with this review.

This album is for Post-ashes-of-the-wake fans whom have never even heard of Burn the Priest.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
18.04.2012 - 20:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 17:45

I rather their previous Albums included Wrath.

You say Wrath, I say Ashes of the Wake.

their one of the best stuff till yet.
18.04.2012 - 20:36
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.04.2012 at 20:20

Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 17:45

I rather their previous Albums included Wrath.

You say Wrath, I say Ashes of the Wake.

their one of the best stuff till yet.

I said their previous ones included Wrath, but If I wanted to mention their best yeah then it would be Ashes of the Wake
18.04.2012 - 20:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 20:36
If I wanted to mention their best yeah then it would be Ashes of the Wake

I think that's the universal opinion of LoG's magnum opus.

I'm sure the quality of their music relates to the amount of war-related topics they have to write about. With the States effectively "finished" with the war on terror, LoG seem to be running out of inspiration.
----
18.04.2012 - 20:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
As far as inspiration goes concerned, I think these guys gets drunk, go to village, write their shit and then hit for studio for sound check. I don't know what messed up their in villages area but if you check out their interviews, you gonna see "village" factor most influential. Just saying.
18.04.2012 - 20:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.04.2012 at 20:43
...you gonna "village" actor most influential.

I actually don't know what you're trying to say here.
----
18.04.2012 - 20:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
As of seeking inspiration, they write their music in village.

Hits total: 10101 | This month: 35