Metal Storm logo
Your favorite song to play on guitar (and why!)

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 16.11.2006 - 16:58
the title says it all
in my case it's phantom of the opera by maiden(the best song out of the ones i know to play on guitar,it's just breathtaking), eramaarjavi by nightwish(fantastic melody), breaking the law by priest(:banger:), el mariachi(melancholic and catchy), and seasons in the abyss by slayer(recomended for guys who wanna become shredders)
so....what do you like to play on the guitar?
01.02.2007 - 16:50
Hyvaarin
Keep of Kalessin - Armada (can't play it full speed yet, as I'm using it to make my picking technique as efficient as possible. Still, a fun song)
Sonata Arctica - FullMoon (working on the fast run in the solo, the rest of the song is really fun)
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
02.02.2007 - 15:02
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Well i like mostly play rhythm guitars(in the band i play i am rhythm)
and i like mostly playing Doom and Death Guitar styles

Favourite song playing

Evenfall by Tristania
Pale Enchantress by Tristania

they are not difficult at all they are very easy
but i love these songs so..
02.02.2007 - 15:44
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
my current Love is Demons And Wizards - Dorian it has wonderful rythm and it makes me feel so supeeeeeeeer
otherwise anything for Blind Guardian would be very nourishing fo me to play
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
02.02.2007 - 22:00
ylside
Staff
While I have never learned a song completely, here are some of the main riffs I play the most :

Atheist - On They Slay (debut rythm, really catchy and fast to play, excellent for down stroke training)
Amon Amarth - Thousand Years of Oppression - Slow, sad and melodic. Awesome.
Children of Bodom - Everytime I die solo, was of the first solos I have learned, still fun to play!
Symphony X - The Damnation Game - (first part, really incredible riffing and soloing!)

Plus some various Entombed medleys I play in each session
15.02.2007 - 01:12
spirit_inblack
harshhead
As of late I've been trying to learn Seven by Necrophagist and I have quite a few parts to the song down. Probably the eaisest song by Necrophagist I haven't tried the solo yet, but I will soon, so we will see.
15.02.2007 - 16:00
Too many fail.
Written by spirit_inblack on 15.02.2007 at 01:12

As of late I've been trying to learn Seven by Necrophagist and I have quite a few parts to the song down. Probably the eaisest song by Necrophagist I haven't tried the solo yet, but I will soon, so we will see.

Video proof or I dont believe it... Seven is far from the easiest necrophagist song, though the beginning riff might sound easy the dissonant harmonics are tricky to pull off perfectly, plu the song gets really fast and the string skipping is a bitch...
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
17.02.2007 - 00:38
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Too many fail. on 15.02.2007 at 16:00

Written by spirit_inblack on 15.02.2007 at 01:12

Video proof or I dont believe it... Seven is far from the easiest necrophagist song, though the beginning riff might sound easy the dissonant harmonics are tricky to pull off perfectly, plu the song gets really fast and the string skipping is a bitch...

Its a hell of a lot easier than the sweeping in the songs from Onset Of Putrefecation, but yeah, I know what you mean, the harmonics are tricky to pull off perfectly.
21.03.2007 - 15:45
matthioso
I love playing enter sandman and master of puppets. such great riffs! I allways play enter sandman as my 'warm-up' and after that master of puppets to get myself really goin' . but most of all I like to play the songs of my own band (all of them )
----
www.seedofrock.be
13.04.2007 - 12:49
Alex Smith
As I'm a beginner, I was playin' Bryan Adams'es songs - they're good for the beginners, I also play some Country-style songs - it's a good practice to play difficult chords. Last two months I try to play my favorite bands songs - Iron Maiden, and it's f**kin' hard. At this time I can play only five Maiden's songs.
18.04.2007 - 06:44
EverDreamer509
Account deleted
Death Unlimited - Norther, love the riff!
19.04.2007 - 23:04
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
its hard to decide upon a song thats my favorite to play but the three i play the most are Laid to rest, and death unlimited ... i go thru those for a warmup every time i play but there are more songs that i love playing more....
02.06.2007 - 01:29
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Sugarfoot Rag by John 5 simply because its challenging every time you play it and develops you technique in every way possible, enjoyable and fun song to play. Hail John 5.
13.06.2007 - 03:41
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
im not crackin on anyone, at ALL... i learned most of what i know with marilyn manson as my first few songs to practice on... that and slipknot... but john 5 is anything but a talented musician... im sorry lol take a look at most of mansons songs.... easy as hell... which is great, but it doesnt say much for his ability to improvise and show off his talent... although, i saw him live at the last rob zombie/godsmack tour, and he did a solo that was pretty cool... it was one of those "its about god damned time!" kinda moments.... lol

as for my favorite song to play, i usually find myself playing "on wings of lead" - Bleeding Through as soon as i pick up my guitar... its kind of a warm up for me... once i can play it all the way through halfway decent, i know im warmed up... other favs? i dunno... i got a list i run through quite often... too much to list though lol im just starting to branch out and do new shit.... keep in mind, been playin about a year and a half... dont quite have the skill set necessary to play what you guys are
03.07.2007 - 05:22
NEWBARON
Account deleted
I personally love playing Binge and grab by Buckethead. Its a really upbeat riff that often gets stuck in my head. Its also the least darkest of material that I play.
11.07.2007 - 07:32
I can't pick just one song that's fun to play. I think just playing the guitar is fun.
----
oderint dum metuant
12.07.2007 - 09:49
Torture Killer
Account deleted
I Am The Law by Anthrax, it's a great riif and I love to stomp around my bedroom like Scott Ian.
18.07.2007 - 16:15
Meuterei
Account deleted
Even though my own music sounds nowhere close to this, the most fun I have playing most of the time is old ass Black Sabbath songs. Especially "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Electric Funeral".
28.07.2007 - 06:14
Endoftherainbow
Right now my favorite songs to play are the Philospher, Pull the Plug, 1000 Eyes, and Crystal Mountain by Death. I've also been playing a lot of Slayer and Megadeth. Praise the Lord by Dying Fetus is also really fun to play I still have a bit of trouble at the part where it switches to the tapping but aside from that I can play the song pretty well.
03.08.2007 - 19:30
Varegan
Hamranakara
i like it when im playing angel of death(slayer) solo.(just jeff parts). everybody around me thing im doing a very very hard work.and i enjoy their wonder
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
03.08.2007 - 20:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"black magic" by Slayer - it's fast but fairly simple. I suck, but I can still pull it off.

I try to do the Raining Blood -> Black Magic segue like they do on their live cd - still hard for me to nail the riff in "Raining Blood" after the intro riff (my favorite Slayer riff), when it kicks into gear.

that's a lot of fast tremolo strumming. usually by the time i'm done my wrist is a bit swollen from the effort and i have to shake it off before i kick into the next song.

Sabbath is also fun - either most of "N.I.B." or the opening riff to "Symptom of the Universe"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.08.2007 - 17:22
kennysimpson
Account deleted
i enjoy playing this love by pantera at the moment
and the solo is fukin gid
lots of feel
LOL
12.11.2007 - 20:58
Smurfophagist
Well it's really hard, but I will try narrowing down the choice to just a couple of songs...
Raining Blood - great riffing there, it takes a lot of training because the song has a very fast tempo
Aesthetics Of Hate - I love the solo in this song, it sounds great and it's not to hard to play
Cowboys From Hell - Also, riffs sound excellent, I'm having a lot of trouble with the solo though
The Trooper - Everything but the solo is very very easy to play, and sounds great at the same time...It took me a lot of time to learn the solo, and i haven't perfected it yet

There are probably more, but I can't really remember right now
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
19.11.2007 - 21:29
*ODEN*
Account deleted
cry of the black birdz cz i adore it and i like the melodie and the taping..
24.11.2007 - 15:11
BlackMin
Account deleted
Atm my favorites with guitar are Dissections's Nights Blood and The Haunted's Bullet Hole. I find both of the songs pretty fun to play (read: EASY) so its pretty nice to just jam and relax with those songs along with the cd.
28.11.2007 - 23:32
Timsen
Account deleted
The lion's share of Victor Smolski's songs (Rage). They are very groovy and kick ass ;-)
Especially "War of Worlds" and "Great Old Ones"
11.12.2007 - 12:33
RockeRoy
I like playing Opeth- Masters aprentice,lamb of god hourglass, and dream theater- stream of consecounse because they are a litle challenging
also Gary moore-still got the blues because it's cool to improvise over the verse parts! and Dream Theater- The ytsajam because it's so easy!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
23.05.2008 - 06:05
Trinstar
I enjoy playing.. hmm, what's their name again? Ah, DRAGONFORCE! Just the rhythms of course, but as a lead guitar player I can say that they have the most fun rhythms to play out of all heavy metal. Never a dull moment! But you need lots of picks and air duster to clean the dust out of your pickups!

Also, some songs I'm currently learning, "Dreamland" by HammerFall, "Beyond The Black Hole" by Gamma Ray, "Time What Is Time" by Blind Guardian, and "Halloween" by Helloween.

And I don't just like power metal! "Seasons In The Abyss" is a CLASSIC band warmup song, as is "For Whom The Bell Tolls". "South of Heaven" and "Chemical Warfare" are great Slayer songs to learn. "Master of Puppets" is great. Once you can play that, you are good enough to play for an audience. Of course, only if you can play the Whole Song, which many musicians never take the time to learn. "Orion" is a fun one to play, but the timing is difficult for most drummers. And playing the blues over a bottle of rum and a long cigarette is very entertaining, as well as playing bluegrass over a bottle of Jack Daniels and some Red Man. You gotta "be" the music!

But seriously, yeah, DragonForce. Incredibly fun.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 13:55
vatro
Account deleted
Crystal Mountain by death it's melodic
12.06.2008 - 15:26
Frankenchrist
11th hour and ashes of the wake by lamb of god. cemetary gates and revolution is my name by pantera's fun to.
----
Blat Blat
26.06.2008 - 09:54
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Now You've Got Something To Die For by Lamb of God
Cemetary Gates by Pantera
You're Better Off Dead by Children of Bodom